Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

Full story: SouthFlorida.com

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.
Comments
41,881 - 41,900 of 42,339 Comments Last updated Saturday Aug 9
spending money timewasted

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

two meetings were held but what was accomplished

Special Commission meeting on Commercial Blvd project,
bottom line, this project is almost $2,000,000 over budget???
which is outrageously disgraceful

think how much money could be saved by the town for 'necessities' and 'emergencies' if the town decided to not do this project

Charter Review Board meeting
will be leaving 'height' for commission to decide
bottom line, if the commission decides to put this
item on the ballot, it will be up to 'the people'
to vote on any changes to be made

will be leaving power in the hands of 'the people of town' when it comes to making drastic changes to the town charter
call commission members

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

let them know how you want them to view the
height & density limits in town

33 ft

44 ft

should this be decided upon through vote of the people

Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

call commission members wrote:
let them know how you want them to view the
height & density limits in town
33 ft
44 ft
should this be decided upon through vote of the people
Why? Already done? What changed?
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>Why? Already done? What changed?
Perhaps nobody knows. Perhaps we make policy decisions without knowing anything much about anything. Perhaps that's why we need consultants to tell us what to do. Perhaps consultants do not know anything either.
Go to guy

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps nobody knows. Perhaps we make policy decisions without knowing anything much about anything. Perhaps that's why we need consultants to tell us what to do. Perhaps consultants do not know anything either.
Are the few of you stupid that are writing on this blog and hanging on Arthur's every word. Arthur is the son of business owners he lives in his parents home has a Mail order bride and drives a twenty something year old car that was probably passed down from his parents.His claim to fame is his knowledge of sewers. According to Arthur Ms Hoffman knows nothing Bud Bentley knows nothing consultants know nothing but you few like hearing what Athur knows. I'd like to know where Arthur went to school and what jobs Arthur has had in the past he seems to have appeared out of no where about 5 years ago. So Arthur please tell us about your personal accomplishments. Then maybe you can be my guy to go to!!!
To Go to Guy

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Go to guy wrote:
<quoted text> Are the few of you stupid that are writing on this blog and hanging on Arthur's every word. Arthur is the son of business owners he lives in his parents home has a Mail order bride and drives a twenty something year old car that was probably passed down from his parents.His claim to fame is his knowledge of sewers. According to Arthur Ms Hoffman knows nothing Bud Bentley knows nothing consultants know nothing but you few like hearing what Athur knows. I'd like to know where Arthur went to school and what jobs Arthur has had in the past he seems to have appeared out of no where about 5 years ago. So Arthur please tell us about your personal accomplishments. Then maybe you can be my guy to go to!!!
WHAT A BINCH OF BULL. Arthur graduated from on of the best universties in the owrld. Where did you get your degree, Mr.Know Nothing? So can your spouse even hold a candle to his?
arthur

Deerfield Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

Go to guy wrote:
<quoted text> Are the few of you stupid that are writing on this blog and hanging on Arthur's every word. Arthur is the son of business owners he lives in his parents home has a Mail order bride and drives a twenty something year old car that was probably passed down from his parents.His claim to fame is his knowledge of sewers. According to Arthur Ms Hoffman knows nothing Bud Bentley knows nothing consultants know nothing but you few like hearing what Athur knows. I'd like to know where Arthur went to school and what jobs Arthur has had in the past he seems to have appeared out of no where about 5 years ago. So Arthur please tell us about your personal accomplishments. Then maybe you can be my guy to go to!!!
This is fantastic research right there on a truly important town topic, me.

While you were doing that I was looking for Sun Sentinel articles about the next Las Olas because as you know we are trying to create new Las Olas in town.

What I found is that the same thing was said about Atlantic Blvd in Pompano and I believe Delray Beach project.

Hence my question, whether this idea of Commercial being the next Las Olas is a recycled idea that works like a charm when presented to city officials. Every city or town wants to have the next Las Olas so who can be against it? But, alas, there is only one Las Olas and such large projects cost millions and our town is tiny so you cannot spread this cost around so easily as larger municipalities. In any event I do not think that Atlantic Blvd is going to be the next Las Olas now that this project seems finished.

But since we are trying to create the next Las Olas, as you know, Las Olas is a long street. Are we trying to recreate the western end of Las Olas, or the eastern end of Las Olas, or the middle Las Olas in LBTS?

I have a feeling that we are creating one of the ends of Las Olas, but it is the middle of Las Olas that we seem to want. Do we really think that we will succeed after we throw some millions of taxpayers money at it?

Over the last 10 years or so our town has improved greatly, and a lot of this improvement was not due to tax dollars being spent but through private investment in individual properties by their owners. True it takes time.

But let's think about it. Instead of taking tax money and spending it on a project we realize that private property owners have a strong incentive to improve their properties. So how about recognizing that some people in this town take good care of their properties and improved them and it cost taxpayers zero over the years. How about if instead of meddling, we just make their life easier through lower (but fair) taxes and fees instead of sticking them with crazy sewer charges as has been the norm around here. That is my thinking. We should let economy fix itself instead of meddling and it will cost taxpayers nothing.

If it makes economic sense to run a hotel in town then you will not need to save hotels. If it does not make economic sense to run a hotel in town you will not be able to save hotels through creation of hospitality district. If it makes economic sense to have condos replace hotels then this is what is going to happen also regardless of what you try to do.

I just think that there is no need for anybody to know anything about our town's economy. All you have to do is to leave things alone and if you do that then you do not need to know anything. If, on the other hand, you try to do something to improve the town's economy then the onus is on you knowing what you are doing with taxpayers' money. Many, if not all, who tried centrally steering economy failed in the long run, or had done it a great cost. It is just history.

It seems to me that it is going to be very hard to succeed at what our town is doing, which is overhauling the whole center of the business district. I would favor more incremental, less costly, less disruptive approach instead of going all in.
Go to guy

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
This is fantastic research right there on a truly important town topic, me.
While you were doing that I was looking for Sun Sentinel articles about the next Las Olas because as you know we are trying to create new Las Olas in town.
What I found is that the same thing was said about Atlantic Blvd in Pompano and I believe Delray Beach project.
Hence my question, whether this idea of Commercial being the next Las Olas is a recycled idea that works like a charm when presented to city officials. Every city or town wants to have the next Las Olas so who can be against it? But, alas, there is only one Las Olas and such large projects cost millions and our town is tiny so you cannot spread this cost around so easily as larger municipalities. In any event I do not think that Atlantic Blvd is going to be the next Las Olas now that this project seems finished.
But since we are trying to create the next Las Olas, as you know, Las Olas is a long street. Are we trying to recreate the western end of Las Olas, or the eastern end of Las Olas, or the middle Las Olas in LBTS?
I have a feeling that we are creating one of the ends of Las Olas, but it is the middle of Las Olas that we seem to want. Do we really think that we will succeed after we throw some millions of taxpayers money at it?
Over the last 10 years or so our town has improved greatly, and a lot of this improvement was not due to tax dollars being spent but through private investment in individual properties by their owners. True it takes time.
But let's think about it. Instead of taking tax money and spending it on a project we realize that private property owners have a strong incentive to improve their properties. So how about recognizing that some people in this town take good care of their properties and improved them and it cost taxpayers zero over the years. How about if instead of meddling, we just make their life easier through lower (but fair) taxes and fees instead of sticking them with crazy sewer charges as has been the norm around here. That is my thinking. We should let economy fix itself instead of meddling and it will cost taxpayers nothing.
If it makes economic sense to run a hotel in town then you will not need to save hotels. If it does not make economic sense to run a hotel in town you will not be able to save hotels through creation of hospitality district. If it makes economic sense to have condos replace hotels then this is what is going to happen also regardless of what you try to do.
I just think that there is no need for anybody to know anything about our town's economy. All you have to do is to leave things alone and if you do that then you do not need to know anything. If, on the other hand, you try to do something to improve the town's economy then the onus is on you knowing what you are doing with taxpayers' money. Many, if not all, who tried centrally steering economy failed in the long run, or had done it a great cost. It is just history.
It seems to me that it is going to be very hard to succeed at what our town is doing, which is overhauling the whole center of the business district. I would favor more incremental, less costly, less disruptive approach instead of going all in.
Still no answers, While waiting to check in people he reads the papers,still not mu go to guy.
arthur

Deerfield Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

Go to guy wrote:
<quoted text> Still no answers, While waiting to check in people he reads the papers,still not mu go to guy.
Normally you would not listen to me, but I figured that this time you would have to read my long response to your insults while looking for my comeback. So at least you know what I think now and can judge me accordingly.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

I could take anyone in town and talk trash the same way "go to guy" failed to do. I would also bet everything that same person hates bullies and has spoken out against them in the past.
Yet, he is doing the exact same thing.

Why do some spend so much time not dealing with the real issues, but waste their time personally attacking others? To me, that has always been the biggest road block in getting things done in town.

Its not the fabricated BS about how one side wants no change and the other does.

When some don't get their way they always end up personally attacking those who have the other opinion.

One thing I learned is trying to find and follow not only the money, but the influence. The ones who try to influence the will of the people do it for money, power or both. Those who are able to influence created methods that have been proven to work.

Lets start back in the year 2004 or so when the By the Sea Times and the CIC were active in town affairs and their influence become strong enough to alter a town election.

Then the By the Sea Future came along with UOT and did the exactly the same thing using the same method.

Both were guilty of manipulating the truth, at different degrees, to gather greater influence.

But, there was also a huge difference between those two. Those who don't know what that is, is the target market for those who have more of a personal benefit to gain.

This personal benefit is always hidden behind the cloak of "its whats best for town".

That cloak is made up of individuals being used to spread misinformation.

What causes many problems is when that cloak is removed due to the right questions being asked allowing the truth to show itself.(Yes, that's a major difference.)

Then what happens is those who have been used become defensive. They end up making a cloak for themselves needed to protect their egos from the reality of being wrong. When that cloak weakens the personal attacks happen as a last resort. Pun intended.

Arthur and others on this electronic soap box don't always agree with me or each other, but at least contribute towards getting to the bottom of the issues, which is the only thing that is truly best for town.
To this end - I remain.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

See Pompano has been doing Las Olas on Atlantic Blvd since at least 1995:
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-08-20/c...

But I think that we already have what Pompano has always been trying to do, and at least the people I speak with think that LBTS is better than Pompano's Atlantic Blvd area.

Maybe this is something to think about before we disrupt every business in town for a hard to determine length of time with this construction and before we spend millions on a project that displaces existing parking spots. It is not too farfetched to think that this displacement of parking (either elimination some of it or moving it to inferior location). As far as a stated benefit of this project, I am not convinced that people will walk along Commercial because of the difficult intersection at A1A and Commercial and because going for a walk along the beach seems like a superior option. So it is quite possible, and I will not tell you that I know for sure how it will all play out, but we could be looking at a net disimprovement as a result of this project despite the spending of millions.

Maybe it is the same presentation and the name of the town simply changes. We are going to spend millions what will the improvement be as measured in property values and will the benefits of any improvement be passed on to taxpayers via a lower millage rate? Will benefits be significant enough to offset the significant cost? Can anybody commit to this, to assure us that property values will increase as a result and lower millage rate will result?
Always Picking On

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Why are the owners of the Pier and Athean's being harassed again? Check out the agenda for tonight's meeting. Town is doing it's best to shut them down. Is someone - friend of Hoffman, waiting to take over? Whats up? Is that good or bad?
A Look

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

arthur wrote:
See Pompano has been doing Las Olas on Atlantic Blvd since at least 1995:
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-08-20/c...
But I think that we already have what Pompano has always been trying to do, and at least the people I speak with think that LBTS is better than Pompano's Atlantic Blvd area.
Maybe this is something to think about before we disrupt every business in town for a hard to determine length of time with this construction and before we spend millions on a project that displaces existing parking spots. It is not too farfetched to think that this displacement of parking (either elimination some of it or moving it to inferior location). As far as a stated benefit of this project, I am not convinced that people will walk along Commercial because of the difficult intersection at A1A and Commercial and because going for a walk along the beach seems like a superior option. So it is quite possible, and I will not tell you that I know for sure how it will all play out, but we could be looking at a net disimprovement as a result of this project despite the spending of millions.
Maybe it is the same presentation and the name of the town simply changes. We are going to spend millions what will the improvement be as measured in property values and will the benefits of any improvement be passed on to taxpayers via a lower millage rate? Will benefits be significant enough to offset the significant cost? Can anybody commit to this, to assure us that property values will increase as a result and lower millage rate will result?
Another example of The Masters of Spending Other Peoples Money.

I guess its time again to refresh on how we got here.

In the beginning - Work shops took place to answer this question proposed by Ms. Hoffmann and town staff. "How do you want Commercial Blvd. to look like and do think about the cost."

Little if any discussion took place on if it should be done - again, or even to what extent. Lets not forget, even after a business owner went around to the businesses and reported back most wanted a smaller sidewalk and to keep the existing parking.

Here's a question. If I wanted to find a way to spend (other peoples) taxpayers money to the maximum, what is the best way to go about that? Maybe by asking the first question?

That actually happen, which got us to where we are now.

Please give it some thought.
Benny Hill

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

So where did Arthur go to college?
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Benny Hill wrote:
It is a town mystery now.
around town

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Benny Hill wrote:
rumor or truth?
graduated from Princeton
several years ago
HIDE YOUR CAN

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

During public comments Arthur mentioned
residential homes currently have
too many trash toters

I agree, in order to recycle having all these extra toters is making our properties and the
town look trashy

There must be another way of accomplishing
recycling without residential homes having
to 'hide' three toters, one for regular trash,
one for landscape lawn recyclables, one for
recyclable plastics, papers, boxes.

If there is not another way of accomplishing
this, let's go back to one toter for garbage,

Call your commissioners, let them know three toters
are difficult to HIDE
trash property values

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

three toters has created far too much garbage truck
traffic on residential streets which, no doubt,
definitely detracts from the town image of being
a beautiful town

extra trash pickups definitely disturbs safety, quiet ambiance of residential which
brings down property values, the current trash
company using the one arm truck generally takes all day long to accomplish picking up emptying trash toters along one
residential street, so the toters remain in sight
all day long and often overnight thru the next day

when town had WM in residential trash pickup was
S I M P L E and pick up was quickly accomplished

compared to presently when accomplishing trash pickup on residential streets has turned into toter monster disturbing neighborhoods with far
too much garbage truck traffic

Bottom line, why depreciate our property values
Go back and examine better way
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

around town wrote:
<quoted text>
rumor or truth?
graduated from Princeton
several years ago
That is not true. Cornell and London School of Economics.
wheres the bargain

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

our garbage bill was lower with WM
WM is far more professional trash service

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pompano Beach News, Events & Info