Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project. Full Story
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42015 Mar 26, 2013
heights wrote:
<quoted text> When figuring height limits, does that include, roof top air conditioners, elevator shafts, railings, etc? I don't think so, and that is where the fight begins.
Why would we restart the height fight when Minto did not even complete their second building on A1A? If they are still waiting that means that it still does not make sense to build it.

However, if we will reintroduce uncertainty with another height fight then we will get back into the game of land speculation by various parties with expectation of different height limits down the road or even soon.

Now if that is the road on which we are embarking then nobody should invest in existing hotels in town because they will get redeveloped after all. By nobody I mean both private owners of hotels as well as the dais through their HIP and marketing programs.

If private owners stop investing though then everybody should stop complaining about run down hotels.

You guys have to figure out what you want, but your policies are contradictory. If you want to "save" the hotel industry in town then you should remove the uncertainty with height limits not add to it. But people keep on creating this uncertainty which is one of the reasons why I think that most people here are against hotels and all the talk of helping or saving hotels is lip service.
Zoned

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42016 Mar 26, 2013
heights wrote:
<quoted text> When figuring height limits, does that include, roof top air conditioners, elevator shafts, railings, etc? I don't think so, and that is where the fight begins.
Hey read the code, its on line. It will show you are allowed to place certain thing on top so maybe another couple of feet on certain parts of the roof is allowed for stair wells and other such stuff. This would be the same no matter what the height limits are.
Always Be

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42017 Mar 26, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we restart the height fight when Minto did not even complete their second building on A1A? If they are still waiting that means that it still does not make sense to build it.
However, if we will reintroduce uncertainty with another height fight then we will get back into the game of land speculation by various parties with expectation of different height limits down the road or even soon.
Now if that is the road on which we are embarking then nobody should invest in existing hotels in town because they will get redeveloped after all. By nobody I mean both private owners of hotels as well as the dais through their HIP and marketing programs.
If private owners stop investing though then everybody should stop complaining about run down hotels.
You guys have to figure out what you want, but your policies are contradictory. If you want to "save" the hotel industry in town then you should remove the uncertainty with height limits not add to it. But people keep on creating this uncertainty which is one of the reasons why I think that most people here are against hotels and all the talk of helping or saving hotels is lip service.
I fully agree with you, but the uncertainty will always be around, to some degree, for one good reason.

Most places a added story or 2 or 20 is no big deal. But because of our local, the value of each added story is far greater then most other places and worthwhile for some to keep on trying. The same augments to go up will be used over and over again.

I don't think it will ever go anywhere for one good reason. The failure of the Bert J. Harris claims, the millions of dollars the Future paper said we would loose and possible bankruptcy of the town that never happened. Now its too late for any of them to refile. Gee I wonder why the Futures never mentioned that?

Now its in the hands of the people to vote to change and no one has come forth with a good reason to change and none look to be on the horizon. What is is we may be underwater!

It will always be brought up and the right to ask will always be allowed. The "why" will remain unanswered with any sort of good reason. It will fade a bit, but don't see it disappearing.

Benny Hill

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42018 Mar 28, 2013
Of all I read, this blog is the most boring.
Happy Holidays

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42019 Mar 29, 2013
Benny Hill wrote:
Of all I read, this blog is the most boring.
Thanks for your contribution.
You are obviously one of those people who finds solace in judging others, because they are unable to contribute. Bet you have never threw your hat in the ring or taken risks. You are what you will always be.
And that's fine.
But don't interfere with others from trying to do something positive. Because for lack of a better word, its evil.
If others what to rise up and try to make a positive difference, enjoy life through them. Doesn't matter what side of the issue they are on, don't be jealous. Deep down you know you are. Have a nice weekend.
Benny Hill

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42020 Mar 29, 2013
Happy Holidays wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your contribution.
You are obviously one of those people who finds solace in judging others, because they are unable to contribute. Bet you have never threw your hat in the ring or taken risks. You are what you will always be.
And that's fine.
But don't interfere with others from trying to do something positive. Because for lack of a better word, its evil.
If others what to rise up and try to make a positive difference, enjoy life through them. Doesn't matter what side of the issue they are on, don't be jealous. Deep down you know you are. Have a nice weekend.
Why don't all you numb-nuts just swap business cards and get together somewhere. That would be something positive. You've accomplished squat going back and forth, other than to assuage your egos. So rise up, get off your computers and do something that will make all of us proud, if you believe you can.
Easter Halloween Mix Up

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42021 Mar 30, 2013
Apparently Ron didn't get the memo, he wore the same tired old mask scaring some children.
HAPPY DAY

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42022 Mar 31, 2013
HAPPY
Easter

Happy holiday
Confused

Pompano Beach, FL

#42023 Mar 31, 2013
Always Be wrote:
<quoted text>
I fully agree with you, but the uncertainty will always be around, to some degree, for one good reason.
Most places a added story or 2 or 20 is no big deal. But because of our local, the value of each added story is far greater then most other places and worthwhile for some to keep on trying. The same augments to go up will be used over and over again.
I don't think it will ever go anywhere for one good reason. The failure of the Bert J. Harris claims, the millions of dollars the Future paper said we would loose and possible bankruptcy of the town that never happened. Now its too late for any of them to refile. Gee I wonder why the Futures never mentioned that?
Now its in the hands of the people to vote to change and no one has come forth with a good reason to change and none look to be on the horizon. What is is we may be underwater!
It will always be brought up and the right to ask will always be allowed. The "why" will remain unanswered with any sort of good reason. It will fade a bit, but don't see it disappearing.
Please get your facts straight judge left this issue wide open. There will not be a ruling until someone actually has plans to build. That could be next week or 10 years from now so we will have to see what happens down the road so don't celebrate so soon.
Now Then

Lake Worth, FL

#42024 Apr 1, 2013
Confused wrote:
<quoted text> Please get your ts straight judge left this issue wide open. There will not be a ruling until someone actually has plans to build. That could be next week or 10 years from now so we will have to see what happens down the road so don't celebrate so soon.
It would've happened by now. Not to mention the heights could always be raised with a vote so that could also happen at some future date.
Getting sued for 20 million or whatever, bankrupting the town, is no longer a possibility. Really never was just fear backed with lies to get what a few wanted at the expense of the rest of us.
town will return to WM

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42025 Apr 3, 2013
Choice has screwed up far too often
almost every street in town has toters lining the streets, these toters were not picked up on garbage days, they are full of garbage which
detracts from property values in town.

Something is wrong with the present garbage service
The leftover garbage toters are attracting flies & mosquitos &
creating unsanitary conditions

WM is much superior waste service
Town never had problems with WM
The extra cost was worth the money.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42026 Apr 3, 2013
Now Then wrote:
<quoted text>It would've happened by now. Not to mention the heights could always be raised with a vote so that could also happen at some future date.
Getting sued for 20 million or whatever, bankrupting the town, is no longer a possibility. Really never was just fear backed with lies to get what a few wanted at the expense of the rest of us.
You have to at some point realize that in a democracy it is not absolute rule of majority but rather there is such thing as rule of law that protects minorities. This is something that too many people in our town do not realize yet.

To give you an example, yes maybe majority of people in this town were not harmed by extending the height limit to the new town, however, the minority of people living in the north were harmed by the town's action. Now some of these people made an investment in real estate just like you maybe invested in stocks or a CD. The town did not pass a law saying that your stocks cannot go up above certain level nor did it cap the interest rate that banks in our town can pay you on your investment. So whatever the town did it did, we messed with their investment, but just because some people, such as you, think that it benefits the majority (this claim may be unsubstantiated) there is no reason to celebrate.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42027 Apr 3, 2013
town will return to WM wrote:
almost every street in town has toters lining the streets, these toters were not picked up on garbage days, they are full of garbage which
I do not get bills from Choice any more. I get bills from WSI and these bills are screwed up. They charge a month ahead and then call you that you are behind in payments. Or at least this is how it looks like to me right now because WSI is unable to provide my payment history proving that I am indeed behind in my payments.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42028 Apr 3, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to at some point realize that in a democracy it is not absolute rule of majority but rather there is such thing as rule of law that protects minorities. This is something that too many people in our town do not realize yet.
To give you an example, yes maybe majority of people in this town were not harmed by extending the height limit to the new town, however, the minority of people living in the north were harmed by the town's action. Now some of these people made an investment in real estate just like you maybe invested in stocks or a CD. The town did not pass a law saying that your stocks cannot go up above certain level nor did it cap the interest rate that banks in our town can pay you on your investment. So whatever the town did it did, we messed with their investment, but just because some people, such as you, think that it benefits the majority (this claim may be unsubstantiated) there is no reason to celebrate.
That brings up a couple of interesting points.

The underlying principals of democracy gives us freedoms which are shared by all - in the present and in the future. That is why a vote will never be allowed so that the majority may kick out the minority. Also nothing done for the benefit of the present should be allowed to place a burden on the future. Its the same principle.

I wont get into current affairs, but I think breaking those principles has much to do with the current crap we are in. That holds true for both the local and world levels.

But like any investment, it can go up or down. For our height limits going up would benefit some and not others, in the same part of town.

Plus the market had more to do with price then what the town did, or should I say what the people voted for. Just because a majority voted a certain way doesn't mean all of the minority will not benefit.

If the writer did celebrate, so did I, but maybe for different reasons. I did so because my quality of life was not damaged. More doesn't always mean better.

no wm

Pompano Beach, FL

#42029 Apr 3, 2013
town will return to WM wrote:
Choice's service was great and cost was great. The new company is messing up and the towm needs to demand better service.
WM is the way to go

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42030 Apr 4, 2013
http://www.wm.com/index.jsp

Read above before you make up your mind.
You Get What You Pay For

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42031 Apr 4, 2013
The extra cost was worth the money

or, the alternative is to continue
with second rate waste services which results
in frustration.
Pay For It

West Palm Beach, FL

#42032 Apr 4, 2013
You Get What You Pay For wrote:
The extra cost was worth the money
or, the alternative is to continue
with second rate waste services which results
in frustration.
Run for Commission on the Platform that you will get the best service possible regardless of cost. Be sure and tell the voters that their taxes will go up every year by the maximum allowance. Fees for service have no limit and will raised on a regular basis to pay for the best service money can buy.

If your thinking is what the majority thinks then you will be elected by a landside.
YOU PAY FOR

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42033 Apr 4, 2013
Pay For It wrote:
<quoted text>
Run for Commission on the Platform that you will get the best service possible regardless of cost. Be sure and tell the voters that their taxes will go up every year by the maximum allowance. Fees for service have no limit and will raised on a regular basis to pay for the best service money can buy.
If your thinking is what the majority thinks then you will be elected by a landside.
LBS owners afford expensive homes & run million dollar businesses, LBS owners often purchase $40,000+ luxury vehicles, how can you say paying more for excellent trash service
should be approved by majority when the majority are RICH RICH RICH
people.
Unfortunately, there are several loud mouthed residents wishing they could achieve getting trash service for FREE.
Been that way for 25+ years, same loud mouths, same story,
too bad.
F Y I, after several garbage companies hired by town in the past
'failed' according to some in town, the town appointed several
citizens to do trash studies, and that group determined the best
way to go to avoid problems was to contract with Waste Management.
By the way, taxpayers are paying the expensive cost for fire studies, sewer studies,
and the possibly soon to be trash collection study to avoid the inevitable hiring solution to hire the best services available.
Some probably do not care if the town has garbage toters remaining at curbside all week long until the trash service DECIDES to empty them out. You figure?
trash committee

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42034 Apr 4, 2013
YES you are correct.
After several trash companies proved to give
unsatisfacy service to thetown , LBS decided to hire the best service available in South Floida which was WasteManagement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,109,114
Overpaid Firefighters (Sep '10) 33 min Righteous 326
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 36 min Frijoles 69,357
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 46,578
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 68,469
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 9 hr VET 2,475
Review: Red Balloon Party Rental (Sep '09) 10 hr Ashley C 35
•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••