Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42359 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

Action

United States

#41997 Mar 18, 2013
It takes majority vote wrote:
<quoted text>
Jenne going to jail had nothing to do with any individuals in our town.
Silverstone and McIntee had thought it good idea to replace BSOmedical and fire
with AMR and VFD, however, others on the commission voted to do the same thing.
A good idea? Little more then that.

There is a large untold story behind all this money we now have that is being used to fix up the town and unfortunately be wasted on many other items.

Once in a while a current commissioner will give some credit, but most are to busy being full of themselves to do so.

For the volunteers to come back and to get AMR in place against the BSO union and all the politics involved was no less then a monumental undertaking. Which is now saving us the residents over 3 million a year. And by the way, for a better service.

A good idea goes nowhere until someone tries to do something about it. This one was far more difficult then any before the commission now and for as long as I can recall.

There are still many people out there who were told it was a major mistake to switch only to be proven wrong and their fragile egos wont allow them to be wrong, even if the information they used to form their opinion turns out to be false. They go though life in a fog of deception.
Who did what

Pompano Beach, FL

#41999 Mar 19, 2013
AFRAID TO ANSWER wrote:
<quoted text>Your reply was very evasive in replying to my blog. I mentioned nothing of any one in this town putting Ken Jenne behind bars. Also, if commissioners or residents are questioning the services of AMR in this town, they are not making their dis-like known. You are the only person I have heard from that would rather pay higher taxes and retain BSOMR and would anxiously await their quality of services. My original question, what three individuals, were mostly responsible for saying adios amigo to Jenne, and replacing BSOMR with AMR?
You stated they were responsible for getting rid of Jenne and BSOFR ,yes the volunteers and Amr replaced Bso fire rescue but Jenne would have still been around and not replaced if he had not been indicted BSO police were never going anywhere.
Own Up

United States

#42000 Mar 20, 2013
Who did what wrote:
<quoted text> You stated they were responsible for getting rid of Jenne and BSOFR ,yes the volunteers and Amr replaced Bso fire rescue but Jenne would have still been around and not replaced if he had not been indicted BSO police were never going anywhere.
I think you would agree it starts and ends at the top.

Lets try to get some facts clear. BSO replaced the VFD first. Jennes plan was to take over all public safety services and combine them into one super department that would be in charge of all police,fire, EMS, dispatch, jails and attached in the county.

I wounder if you agree with that strategy?

He needed help and our mayor at the time wanted to move up the political ladder. Lets recall - pun intended, Parker tried and failed by less then 30 votes for a seat as a representative which Boganoff won. Also had(s) the record for spending the most personal money per vote - over 300k on that election.

So here we are.

Lets check in with some reality regarding why BSO police is still here? We could go with our own police department and save a substantial amount of money. The reason we don't is we are lead to believe we are getting a better service. Personally I would pay the extra cost, if I were in fact getting a better service. I don't know, but I think I am?

Weather or not that is correct has never been really looked at. Good arguments can be made on both sides. It was looked at in Pompano and shown it made sense to switch over, then somehow that faded away.

What I do know is when Jenne first came here he said he could do it cheaper. He did the first couple of years as he charged less then what it cost. Same for fire by the way. Now we are paying about what it cost and are paying much more then what was originally projected it would be. Jail is where he was headed and when that happen my faith was renounced for our local government - for that moment.
LBTS PD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42001 Mar 20, 2013
While I am all for the VFD, I am against an LBTS PD as I don't want a force with arrest powers to be at the will of some commissioners.

McIntee plan was to replace BSO completely in in second term as he couldn't do it all at once. He even approached many deputies to ask them if they wanted to leave BSO to join a newly created LBTS PD. He wanted a PD to play with, the same way he was parading as the LBTS king giving orders to the VFD and public works.

I can't even imagine what kind of scheme he would have used then to get rid of his opponents if he had a PD doing his dirty work for him.
No Dif

Pompano Beach, FL

#42002 Mar 20, 2013
LBTS PD wrote:
While I am all for the VFD, I am against an LBTS PD as I don't want a force with arrest powers to be at the will of some commissioners.
McIntee plan was to replace BSO completely in in second term as he couldn't do it all at once. He even approached many deputies to ask them if they wanted to leave BSO to join a newly created LBTS PD. He wanted a PD to play with, the same way he was parading as the LBTS king giving orders to the VFD and public works.
I can't even imagine what kind of scheme he would have used then to get rid of his opponents if he had a PD doing his dirty work for him.
If as he said he did - speak to BSO deputies, he did have the ear of many of them. Many prior and current officials are guilty of the same as you say McIntee did. Happens all the time, everywhere. Its the deputies choice to go along with it or not.
By the way, did you know a commissioner has arrest powers anyway? So you really don't know what you are talking about. But you think so badly you do!
LBTS PD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42003 Mar 20, 2013
No Dif wrote:
<quoted text>
So you really don't know what you are talking about. But you think so badly you do!
You sound like McIntee. If you can't refute the fact, you attack the character of the people giving the news you don't like.
No Dif

Pompano Beach, FL

#42004 Mar 21, 2013
LBTS PD wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like McIntee. If you can't refute the fact, you attack the character of the people giving the news you don't like.
What fact? You have none and that's the problem. To find facts it's best to read it all. I gave some facts.
You sound like you write for the Future. Take out the parts you like and make up a story around it that fits your agenda.
Cant fool us all the time and your time is up.
LBTS PD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42005 Mar 21, 2013
No Dif wrote:
<quoted text>
What fact? You have none and that's the problem.
Then please give me the Florida Statutes giving arrest powers to a commissioner.
To my knowledge, the only power in that regard is during an official assembly of the elected body, an elected official is authorized to ask a deputy to arrest one of the participant. In no way it can be construed as arrest power as only the deputy is in fact arresting someone.
But I'm not a lawyer, nor playing one on TV or Internet, and if You provide me with the proper Florida Statutes saying otherwise You may then enjoy the fact that Your Highness would have spread a little bit of His knowledge to us lowlife who are only an inconvenience, except for the few months before an election, when You remember that You need us to vote for You.
No Dif

Pompano Beach, FL

#42006 Mar 21, 2013
LBTS PD wrote:
<quoted text>
Then please give me the Florida Statutes giving arrest powers to a commissioner.
To my knowledge, the only power in that regard is during an official assembly of the elected body, an elected official is authorized to ask a deputy to arrest one of the participant. In no way it can be construed as arrest power as only the deputy is in fact arresting someone.
But I'm not a lawyer, nor playing one on TV or Internet, and if You provide me with the proper Florida Statutes saying otherwise You may then enjoy the fact that Your Highness would have spread a little bit of His knowledge to us lowlife who are only an inconvenience, except for the few months before an election, when You remember that You need us to vote for You.
Yes you are right they can have someone arrested with due cause. They don't do the actual arrest, the results are the same.
And dont worry I would never run for office in this place. For a 100 grand in salary - maybe.
business should recycle

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42007 Mar 25, 2013
Business establishments have not been told to
recycle, why not???

our residential streets have far too many toters
at each residence giving the town tacky appearance
plus most residential homes do not have the space
for three toters

when is the town going to require recycling be done by all Business estalishmets including hotels as they have hundreds of pounds of recyclable items each month
who knows theheight limit

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42008 Mar 25, 2013
the Charter Review Board is currently discussing
the height limitin LBS

what exactly is it? 33 ft ? or 44 ft?
Zoned

Pompano Beach, FL

#42009 Mar 25, 2013
who knows theheight limit wrote:
the Charter Review Board is currently discussing
the height limitin LBS
what exactly is it? 33 ft ? or 44 ft?
It was explained to me very simply.
We have a 44 ft height limit. The only placed currently zoned for that is along Commercial Blvd. No one has proposed for the last dozen or so years to build up to that. Everywhere else is maxed out at 33 ft.
What I don't understand is why they say its so difficult? Maybe gives them a chance to increase it to 44 ft in other areas? I heard that from the board.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42010 Mar 25, 2013
Zoned wrote:
<quoted text>It was explained to me very simply.
We have a 44 ft height limit. The only placed currently zoned for that is along Commercial Blvd. No one has proposed for the last dozen or so years to build up to that. Everywhere else is maxed out at 33 ft.
What I don't understand is why they say its so difficult? Maybe gives them a chance to increase it to 44 ft in other areas? I heard that from the board.
How tall is the Minto building, which is on A1A? Or Pier Pointe which is on El Mar?
Zoned

Pompano Beach, FL

#42011 Mar 26, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
How tall is the Minto building, which is on A1A? Or Pier Pointe which is on El Mar?
As wrote, I gave the current rules. Not difficult to understand. When we had the overlay districts the rules were a bit complicated as only in selected areas special zoning rules applied. Those were since removed back in 2008.
Zoned

Pompano Beach, FL

#42012 Mar 26, 2013
One other item to make clear. For buildings that are currently higher then the current rules, they may rebuild using the current footprint and height as long as they meet certain rules and get commission approval.

For instance and I wish I had the money, someone could buy the old holiday Inn, tear it down and rebuild to the current height, with commission approval. No referendum needed.
arthur

Deerfield Beach, FL

#42013 Mar 26, 2013
Zoned wrote:
<quoted text>As wrote, I gave the current rules. Not difficult to understand. When we had the overlay districts the rules were a bit complicated as only in selected areas special zoning rules applied. Those were since removed back in 2008.
So someone actually did propose and even built up to 44 ft over the last decade?
heights

Hollywood, FL

#42014 Mar 26, 2013
Zoned wrote:
<quoted text>It was explained to me very simply.
When figuring height limits, does that include, roof top air conditioners, elevator shafts, railings, etc? I don't think so, and that is where the fight begins.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42015 Mar 26, 2013
heights wrote:
<quoted text> When figuring height limits, does that include, roof top air conditioners, elevator shafts, railings, etc? I don't think so, and that is where the fight begins.
Why would we restart the height fight when Minto did not even complete their second building on A1A? If they are still waiting that means that it still does not make sense to build it.

However, if we will reintroduce uncertainty with another height fight then we will get back into the game of land speculation by various parties with expectation of different height limits down the road or even soon.

Now if that is the road on which we are embarking then nobody should invest in existing hotels in town because they will get redeveloped after all. By nobody I mean both private owners of hotels as well as the dais through their HIP and marketing programs.

If private owners stop investing though then everybody should stop complaining about run down hotels.

You guys have to figure out what you want, but your policies are contradictory. If you want to "save" the hotel industry in town then you should remove the uncertainty with height limits not add to it. But people keep on creating this uncertainty which is one of the reasons why I think that most people here are against hotels and all the talk of helping or saving hotels is lip service.
Zoned

Pompano Beach, FL

#42016 Mar 26, 2013
heights wrote:
<quoted text> When figuring height limits, does that include, roof top air conditioners, elevator shafts, railings, etc? I don't think so, and that is where the fight begins.
Hey read the code, its on line. It will show you are allowed to place certain thing on top so maybe another couple of feet on certain parts of the roof is allowed for stair wells and other such stuff. This would be the same no matter what the height limits are.
Always Be

Pompano Beach, FL

#42017 Mar 26, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we restart the height fight when Minto did not even complete their second building on A1A? If they are still waiting that means that it still does not make sense to build it.
However, if we will reintroduce uncertainty with another height fight then we will get back into the game of land speculation by various parties with expectation of different height limits down the road or even soon.
Now if that is the road on which we are embarking then nobody should invest in existing hotels in town because they will get redeveloped after all. By nobody I mean both private owners of hotels as well as the dais through their HIP and marketing programs.
If private owners stop investing though then everybody should stop complaining about run down hotels.
You guys have to figure out what you want, but your policies are contradictory. If you want to "save" the hotel industry in town then you should remove the uncertainty with height limits not add to it. But people keep on creating this uncertainty which is one of the reasons why I think that most people here are against hotels and all the talk of helping or saving hotels is lip service.
I fully agree with you, but the uncertainty will always be around, to some degree, for one good reason.

Most places a added story or 2 or 20 is no big deal. But because of our local, the value of each added story is far greater then most other places and worthwhile for some to keep on trying. The same augments to go up will be used over and over again.

I don't think it will ever go anywhere for one good reason. The failure of the Bert J. Harris claims, the millions of dollars the Future paper said we would loose and possible bankruptcy of the town that never happened. Now its too late for any of them to refile. Gee I wonder why the Futures never mentioned that?

Now its in the hands of the people to vote to change and no one has come forth with a good reason to change and none look to be on the horizon. What is is we may be underwater!

It will always be brought up and the right to ask will always be allowed. The "why" will remain unanswered with any sort of good reason. It will fade a bit, but don't see it disappearing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nuculur option 1,375,303
News College student launches new line of dolls for ... 24 min White and Right 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 28 min Three Days 311,000
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr The Donald_ 98,023
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 58,879
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Budmo hey budmo heey 70,473
News Broward school bond projects could face big cos... May 1 Marcy June 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages