Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42363 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

Not American Way

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41898 Feb 22, 2013
our beautiful town probably would not qualify for CRA unless allowing Eminent Domain to be part of the CRA package

if CRA gets into town, CRA can condemn any properties even those in good condition if needed
to 'improve' the town
FLL A1A

Pompano Beach, FL

#41899 Feb 22, 2013
Not American Way wrote:
our beautiful town probably would not qualify for CRA unless allowing Eminent Domain to be part of the CRA package
if CRA gets into town, CRA can condemn any properties even those in good condition if needed
to 'improve' the town
Not quite, things have changed and you can no longer use eminent domain to take property from someone one for public good and then turn around and sell or give it to another business. Remmber the stink in Hollywood. Things have changed at the federal level and I thank the man above it has.
AX ANNEXATION

United States

#41900 Feb 22, 2013
Since annexation, old town residents of LBS have little or no control over what happens in the once upon a time, the most relaxing and enjoyable community in this great state of Florida. Others, who live elsewhere in town, play a major role in demanding that we accept their very successful attempts to change what happens in old town.
Eminent Domain Remains

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41901 Feb 22, 2013
FLL A1A wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite, things have changed and you can no longer use eminent domain to take property from someone one for public good and then turn around and sell or give it to another business. Remmber the stink in Hollywood. Things have changed at the federal level and I thank the man above it has.
Can you verify your claim? If so, what is the source?
SeaGulls or Dead Pigeons

Pompano Beach, FL

#41902 Feb 23, 2013
A tour if the new downtown eateries causes me to ponder if the décor motif in one of seagulls will be replaced sooner than one thinks by dead pigeons,

One person remarked they heard of day old bread but exclaimed the wondered how many days is it really.

That's as bad a frozen ribs reheated across the street.
VOTING CHANGES

United States

#41903 Feb 23, 2013
AX ANNEXATION wrote:
Since annexation, old town residents of LBS have little or no control over what happens in the once upon a time, the most relaxing and enjoyable community in this great state of Florida. Others, who live elsewhere in town, play a major role in demanding that we accept their very successful attempts to change what happens in old town.
I agree. There is a solution. Old town and new town each can elect two commissioners from their district only by the voters that are registered to vote in that distract. As an example, Dodd and Vincent would have been elected by old town voters and Sasser and Brown by new town voters. The mayor would be elected from voters in old and new town. I believe this would make commissioners more responsive to the real demands of the people that live in two, totally different sections of town. Yes, the town is large enough to warrent the change.
El Mar

Pompano Beach, FL

#41904 Feb 23, 2013
Keep parking on commercial and add parking on El Mar Dr. The days of not in my backyard will be over if the push for that parking garage keep coming up.
arthur

Deerfield Beach, FL

#41905 Feb 23, 2013
VOTING CHANGES wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. There is a solution. Old town and new town each can elect two commissioners from their district only by the voters that are registered to vote in that distract. As an example, Dodd and Vincent would have been elected by old town voters and Sasser and Brown by new town voters. The mayor would be elected from voters in old and new town. I believe this would make commissioners more responsive to the real demands of the people that live in two, totally different sections of town. Yes, the town is large enough to warrent the change.
I would get rid of the districts.

We currently have these districts and I am pretty sure that you do not feel that the old town is getting represented. Am I wrong? So if we maintain them would the old town start being represented?

I think that the town would be best off with 5 best people regardless of where they reside in town. If anything should be changed it is the Commissioners' term limit to two years.

The Charter Review Board is so concerned that it is not fair that the Mayor only serves 2 years and Commissioners 4 years. To make it fair let's have everybody's term be 2 years. How about that Charter Review Board? An idea for you.

The only concern I would have with that is that this would weaken the Commission and make administration stronger because the TM would have bigger advantage over a newbie Commissioner. But I would not mind trying it to see how it would play out. This TM is already way ahead even with 4 year Commissioner terms, and I would not mind trying to have someone new there who can challenge her ideas much more rigorously representing me. I think that then we would avoid a lot of costly problems because the ideas are not really discussed enough right now and it shows. Probably I will have to do this myself and see what the people of this town think about me doing this.
no south organization

United States

#41906 Feb 23, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I would get rid of the districts.
We currently have these districts and I am pretty sure that you do not feel that the old town is getting represented. Am I wrong? So if we maintain them would the old town start being represented?
I think that the town would be best off with 5 best people regardless of where they reside in town. If anything should be changed it is the Commissioners' term limit to two years.
The Charter Review Board is so concerned that it is not fair that the Mayor only serves 2 years and Commissioners 4 years. To make it fair let's have everybody's term be 2 years. How about that Charter Review Board? An idea for you.
The only concern I would have with that is that this would weaken the Commission and make administration stronger because the TM would have bigger advantage over a newbie Commissioner. But I would not mind trying it to see how it would play out. This TM is already way ahead even with 4 year Commissioner terms, and I would not mind trying to have someone new there who can challenge her ideas much more rigorously representing me. I think that then we would avoid a lot of costly problems because the ideas are not really discussed enough right now and it shows. Probably I will have to do this myself and see what the people of this town think about me doing this.
I enjoyed reading your blog that responded to mine. I am totally against your suggestion of electing the best five elected officials regardless of where they live in town. The best would never surface to the top, however the most organized section of town would produce the winners. The north is well organized with associations, such as Bel Air, Terra Mar and the many individual condos. To the best of my knowledge, the south has nothing to offer, other than membership in the LBS Property Owners, consisting of individual residents of the south overpowered by the members of the other association mentioned, that can minimize the affect of the southern members.
NORTH COULD CARE

North Fort Myers, FL

#41907 Feb 23, 2013
no south organization wrote:
<quoted text>I enjoyed reading your blog that responded to mine. I am totally against your suggestion of electing the best five elected officials regardless of where they live in town. The best would never surface to the top, however the most organized section of town would produce the winners. The north is well organized with associations, such as Bel Air, Terra Mar and the many individual condos. To the best of my knowledge, the south has nothing to offer, other than membership in the LBS Property Owners, consisting of individual residents of the south overpowered by the members of the other association mentioned, that can minimize the affect of the southern members.

The real issue is that the North is hoping to increase the Tax Base in the South by spending tax payers money on Commercial. Idea is the change will attract new business into empty store fronts and raise the real estate value.

They could care less if parking needs expand into the neighborhood. It's not there neighborhood. They enjoy the taxpayers in the south paying for their sewers and beutification. Most condos pay more taxes than all of Tera Mar and yet the town paid to beutify their entrance. Same for Bel Aire.

Silvers Shores need's to organize. Next election the South Mailboxes need to be filled with good information about effect of commission activities on the residents in the South Part of Town. Forget Newspapers - Businesses and Devlopers advertise and influence reporting. By the Sea paper was started by a Realator who made money in Silver Shores and needed a cheap way to advertise. Will not happen again. We need to talk to our neighbors and inform. The south can control the elections.
no future in old lbs

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41908 Feb 23, 2013
NORTH COULD CARE wrote:
<quoted text>
The real issue is that the North is hoping to increase the Tax Base in the South by spending tax payers money on Commercial. Idea is the change will attract new business into empty store fronts and raise the real estate value.
They could care less if parking needs expand into the neighborhood. It's not there neighborhood. They enjoy the taxpayers in the south paying for their sewers and beutification. Most condos pay more taxes than all of Tera Mar and yet the town paid to beutify their entrance. Same for Bel Aire.
Silvers Shores need's to organize. Next election the South Mailboxes need to be filled with good information about effect of commission activities on the residents in the South Part of Town. Forget Newspapers - Businesses and Devlopers advertise and influence reporting. By the Sea paper was started by a Realator who made money in Silver Shores and needed a cheap way to advertise. Will not happen again. We need to talk to our neighbors and inform. The south can control the elections.
My dream is different than your nightmare. The south has no organizations, no power, no newspapers, no representatives to speak for them, except a few who use this blog to shout a temporary concern and then disappear and are never to be heard from again. There are a few that seem concerned, but I do not know who they are or where they live. Arthur and Moykor appear to be very vocal and I agree with most of their blogs. Speaking to your neighbors, is a friendly approach, if you know he agrees with you. My neighbors don't agree with me, they read the Future.
FLL A1A

Pompano Beach, FL

#41909 Feb 23, 2013
Eminent Domain Remains wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you verify your claim? If so, what is the source?
Do an Internet search. Not that difficult to do in this day and age.
UnnecessaryCostl y Project

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41910 Feb 23, 2013
Commercial Blvd project wrote:
<quoted text>
The present configuration (sideswalks, trees & shrubs already planted) of Commercial Blvd is EXCELLENT in comparison to the planned Commercial Blvd project which is dangerous and unnecessary. If the petition to Stop the Commercial Blvd project needs more signatures you would be able to get signatures from residents living in single family and duplex homes in Old Town.
Far too much money has been wasted on planning this unnecessary project which few want, plus during construction sombe businesses will realize losses. Why waste any more money on this project when Commercial Blvd looks better than it has ever looked.
Commission should take above comment seriously.
The Pool

Pompano Beach, FL

#41911 Feb 24, 2013
Anyone know where to get in on the new Geesey leaving town pool?
CONTROL

United States

#41912 Feb 24, 2013
NORTH COULD CARE wrote:
<quoted text>
The south couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag as far as winning elections, and the north will control who the candidates will be in both north and south. I live in the south, we have great candidates, and due to the lack of publicity, only I and a few others know who they are, and others never will until they feel it in the pocket book. Might be ten years from now, and when it happens, reality will return.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41913 Feb 24, 2013
CONTROL wrote:
<quoted text>The south couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag as far as winning elections, and the north will control who the candidates will be in both north and south. I live in the south, we have great candidates, and due to the lack of publicity, only I and a few others know who they are, and others never will until they feel it in the pocket book. Might be ten years from now, and when it happens, reality will return.
I do not think that the interests of taxpayers in the new town differ from interests of taxpayers in the old town. Silver Shores and Terra Mar and my hotel, we are all going to be living with consequences of doing bad projects or doing projects badly.

So in my view there is no point dividing us either through voting districts or in any other way. Such divisions only help to enable bad spending or bad decisions because if we are divided somebody can always say that this bad policy helps somebody else even though it hurts you.

There are some issues such as sewers that affect only one part of the town so there is no point denying that. But the solution is for the town to own sewer infrastructure in the whole town. And with parking the solution is for everybody to be self-sufficient, and for the town to stay out of this. Businesses can make deals with each other to secure parking but they will not do this if the town will do it for them for free.

As far as the issue of master plan I do not think that Bel Aire is trying to stick it to Silver Shores. We are all going to be paying for it, if it does not work out. And if it does then Silver Shores will benefit from it more than Terra Mar. So it is not even clear to me who is sticking it to whom.

I do not think that the key is dividing our town. The key is making correct decisions. With the focus on infighting we spend insufficient time scrutinizing decisions that are being made.
CHANGES

United States

#41914 Feb 24, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think that the interests of taxpayers in the new town differ from interests of taxpayers in the old town. Silver Shores and Terra Mar and my hotel, we are all going to be living with consequences of doing bad projects or doing projects badly.
So in my view there is no point dividing us either through voting districts or in any other way. Such divisions only help to enable bad spending or bad decisions because if we are divided somebody can always say that this bad policy helps somebody else even though it hurts you.
There are some issues such as sewers that affect only one part of the town so there is no point denying that. But the solution is for the town to own sewer infrastructure in the whole town. And with parking the solution is for everybody to be self-sufficient, and for the town to stay out of this. Businesses can make deals with each other to secure parking but they will not do this if the town will do it for them for free.
As far as the issue of master plan I do not think that Bel Aire is trying to stick it to Silver Shores. We are all going to be paying for it, if it does not work out. And if it does then Silver Shores will benefit from it more than Terra Mar. So it is not even clear to me who is sticking it to whom.
I do not think that the key is dividing our town. The key is making correct decisions. With the focus on infighting we spend insufficient time scrutinizing decisions that are being made.
Without naming the names of those living in the north, view some of the speakers at the meetings when changing the parking and redevelopment of Commercial from the bridge to the ocean, and you will see that the most fanatical backers of the plan, were from the north. We in the south don't want the change. I can't recall a single person from the north that was against it.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41915 Feb 24, 2013
CHANGES wrote:
<quoted text>Without naming the names of those living in the north, view some of the speakers at the meetings when changing the parking and redevelopment of Commercial from the bridge to the ocean, and you will see that the most fanatical backers of the plan, were from the north. We in the south don't want the change. I can't recall a single person from the north that was against it.
That is easy. I am now from the north and I am against it.

There is nobody in charge in the north. The power of new town/north is a myth. It is the same as in the south/old town.
your the one and only

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41916 Feb 24, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
That is easy. I am now from the north and I am against it.
There is nobody in charge in the north. The power of new town/north is a myth. It is the same as in the south/old town.
One person, may be the exception, and you may be that one person.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41917 Feb 24, 2013
your the one and only wrote:
<quoted text>One person, may be the exception, and you may be that one person.
I am flattered. But I disagree. I think that the most fanatical supporters of the master plan and parking garage do not live in our town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min RiccardoFire 1,534,735
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jun '16) 5 hr Lucy 71
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 hr TRD 71,288
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr ThomasA 314,308
News Pit bull ban: Ban pit bulls - they don't belong... (Jun '09) 11 hr Love my pitties 1,039
CardioFlex Therapy joins Medicaid! 12 hr CardioFlex 1
News Why Suzanne Somers loves bioidentical hormones (Jun '09) May 19 Spotted Girl 95

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages