Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

Jul 13, 2007 Read more: SouthFlorida.com 42,338
The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project. Read more
meeting tonight

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41735 Feb 12, 2013
7 PM commission meeting
rep for obama

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41736 Feb 13, 2013
Rambo who wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you don't know what you are talking about. I am republican also but was concerned about a lightweight like Palin becoming president if something happened to McCain and didn't want someone who was constantly changing what he stood for as president either. I will always vote for the best ticket and not blindly vote the party ticket.
You didn't vote for McCain because he kept changing his views concerning becoming president. I didn't vote for Obama because I knew he never would change his views concerning the presidency. What part of his platform did you, a self proclaimed republican, erronously fall for, hook, line and sinker?
Walgreens West entrance

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41737 Feb 13, 2013
my opinion is the commission made big mistake
wondering if this is safety or convenience issue
because it is both safety and convenience issue

the owner of Walgreens should not have to wait 6 months for the town to bring this issue back for discussion especially since it will present more
time and expense for the town, six months down the road to undo the construction of the parking median
and, yes, Walgreens will most likely loose some
business

Mark Brown was the only sensible concerned for the people commissioner wanting the town to 'undo'
the construction of the cement curb blocking Walgreens customers from going South

Walgreens owners should try again to speak to the commission about this unsafe situation which is definitely going to affect citizens driving to and from the Bougainvillea parking entrance ..... the parking median plan is making it unsafe for cars and pedestrians ..... take a look at it ..... its a mess and an accident waiting to happen
Rambo who

Pompano Beach, FL

#41738 Feb 13, 2013
rep for obama wrote:
<quoted text> You didn't vote for McCain because he kept changing his views concerning becoming president. I didn't vote for Obama because I knew he never would change his views concerning the presidency. What part of his platform did you, a self proclaimed republican, erronously fall for, hook, line and sinker?
Did not say McCain was constantly changing his views but that Mitt did. This self proclaimed republican has been a registered republican for years.
Safety

Pompano Beach, FL

#41739 Feb 13, 2013
Walgreens West entrance wrote:
my opinion is the commission made big mistake
Walgreens owners should try again to speak to the commission about this unsafe situation which is definitely going to affect citizens driving to and from the Bougainvillea parking entrance ..... the parking median plan is making it unsafe for cars and pedestrians ..... take a look at it ..... its a mess and an accident waiting to happen
The Town only cares about the few restaurants nad landlords in the center of town because they complain loudly when someone gets in their way. Arthur has been vocal about threats to his business but the town has done little to help or act fairly in his situation. Seems the town's attitude is that we should all go fly kites. Nothing will change as long as we sit back and limit our actions to posting on this blog or complaining to friends and not turn out in large nuimbers to complain at meetings.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41740 Feb 13, 2013
Safety wrote:
<quoted text>
The Town only cares about the few restaurants nad landlords in the center of town because they complain loudly when someone gets in their way. Arthur has been vocal about threats to his business but the town has done little to help or act fairly in his situation. Seems the town's attitude is that we should all go fly kites. Nothing will change as long as we sit back and limit our actions to posting on this blog or complaining to friends and not turn out in large nuimbers to complain at meetings.
As long as the new sewer methodology is not implemented our town's sewer customers south of Pine are subsidizing the restaurants and will result in problems down the line. Town's consultant found that the fair volumetric rate, given all the sewer projects that are planned for the next 10 years, is $5.19/kilogallon or so. Our restaurants are currently paying $3.46/kilogallon on a lot of kilogallons of sewage in season. So this results in a subsidy of $1.50/kilogallon or so. On a percentage basis it means that restaurants' sewer bills should be 50 percent higher. Not according to me but according to the consultant hired by the town.

As a result of this restaurant sewer subsidy, the sewer fund will be short money eventually when it comes to projects if I succeed with a refund for those who overpaid all these years, which seems only fair. If you overcharge you should give money back. So it is not just my situation.

But yes it does look like everything is for the restaurants in this town. But there is no point ganging up on these restaurants because they will pay through the Commercial project anyhow, and it is really not their fault that somebody sends them a bill with an error, which they pay.

So it is not just my situation what happened and what is happening with sewer bills, but I feel that there are additional problems that other people now have as a result of the actions of our Town Hall so out of respect for these other problems I do not want to waste peoples' time at town meetings talking about sewers, which for most people is an inconsequential bill. Town meeting time should be used more constructively than having me say the same thing over and over, town hiring professional help at taxpayers' expense and then disregarding everything.

But everybody pretty much knows what happened and that it is not fair and yet the Town Hall both the administration and the Commission is as great a success as ever. It just could not be any better.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41741 Feb 13, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as the new sewer methodology is not implemented our town's sewer customers south of Pine are subsidizing the restaurants and will result in problems down the line. Town's consultant found that the fair volumetric rate, given all the sewer projects that are planned for the next 10 years, is $5.19/kilogallon or so. Our restaurants are currently paying $3.46/kilogallon on a lot of kilogallons of sewage in season. So this results in a subsidy of $1.50/kilogallon or so. On a percentage basis it means that restaurants' sewer bills should be 50 percent higher. Not according to me but according to the consultant hired by the town.
As a result of this restaurant sewer subsidy, the sewer fund will be short money eventually when it comes to projects if I succeed with a refund for those who overpaid all these years, which seems only fair. If you overcharge you should give money back. So it is not just my situation.
But yes it does look like everything is for the restaurants in this town. But there is no point ganging up on these restaurants because they will pay through the Commercial project anyhow, and it is really not their fault that somebody sends them a bill with an error, which they pay.
So it is not just my situation what happened and what is happening with sewer bills, but I feel that there are additional problems that other people now have as a result of the actions of our Town Hall so out of respect for these other problems I do not want to waste peoples' time at town meetings talking about sewers, which for most people is an inconsequential bill. Town meeting time should be used more constructively than having me say the same thing over and over, town hiring professional help at taxpayers' expense and then disregarding everything.
But everybody pretty much knows what happened and that it is not fair and yet the Town Hall both the administration and the Commission is as great a success as ever. It just could not be any better.
Frustrated is how many feel.
What to do?

Nothing, but wait till next election and hope who we elect will actually do what they say and not do what they didn't say.

I just hope whatever bad this commission does can be fixed.

Do wish we had something besides this site to reach more citizens. The actions taking place need to be known. Sets a better chance next election for the newly elected to do the right thing.

Root of the Problem

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41742 Feb 13, 2013
Do wish we had something besides this site to reach more citizens. The actions taking place need to be known. Sets a better chance next election for the newly elected to do the right thing.

Too bad the CIC and the Unite Our Town groups turned out to be special interest groups which only fight for the causes which personally affect them. These groups are not overly concerned about the general complaints of citizens in town.
Dangerous Parking

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41744 Feb 13, 2013
The new parking on SouthBouganvilea appears to be as if the town wants to give attorneys business. It looks to be what can turn into major safety concern for the town and an accident waiting to happen.
It Goes With Territory

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41745 Feb 13, 2013
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
Frustrated is how many feel.
What to do?
Nothing, but wait till next election and hope who we elect will actually do what they say and not do what they didn't say.
I just hope whatever bad this commission does can be fixed.
Too bad, but historically during the past ten years did we
have any mayor or commissioner liked by everybody?
Mokyor

Lake Worth, FL

#41746 Feb 13, 2013
It Goes With Territory wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad, but historically during the past ten years did we
have any mayor or commissioner liked by everybody?
Never will, but some more then others. Dont know why its so difficult to get decent people to run and then to stay true once in. Again the people who influance and those who get influanced have a great deal to do with it.
Six More Months

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41747 Feb 14, 2013
Mark Brown was the only sensible concerned for the people commissioner wanting the town to 'undo'
the construction of the cement curb blocking Walgreens customers from going South

Commission voted 4/1 to test the new parking
for six more months which most probably means it
will be there Forever ..... unless you continuously call your commissioners about this
unsafe situation and request they UNDO THE CURBING
NOW WHICH BLOCKS YOU FROM MAKING A TURN INTO WALGREENS FROM BOUGANVILLEA GOING SOUTH
Senseless

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41748 Feb 14, 2013
Six More Months wrote:
Commission voted 4/1 to test the new parking
for six more months which most probably means it
will be there Forever ..... unless you continuously call your commissioners about this
unsafe situation and request they UNDO THE CURBING
NOW WHICH BLOCKS YOU FROM MAKING A TURN INTO WALGREENS FROM BOUGANVILLEA GOING SOUTH
Under the laws of chance, Brown can't screw up all the time. Yes the commission will eat crow on that one. Brown looked good on this one and its so rare it should be noted.
Another problem waiting to happen which Brown did vote for was the redoing of the parking lot north of Wings. They are taking out all the green areas - trees grass to place in more parking. Yet on commercial they are doing the opposite by removing parking and replacing them with green areas. Nice consistency.
They are rushing into trouble and are not thinking clearly and in the future in what may happen. What they are doing behind Walgreens is yet another example.

Parking By The Sea

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41749 Feb 14, 2013
Why did the commission decide to put in 27 parking spaces on Bouganvillea which definitely has an adverse impact upon the residents on the West side of that street?

Why is the commission putting in extra parking?
while the parking lots which the town already has remain Empty.

Aren't restaurants, and motels required to have their own parking? If not, why not.
Good Ones

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41750 Feb 14, 2013
Parking By The Sea wrote:
Why did the commission decide to put in 27 parking spaces on Bouganvillea which definitely has an adverse impact upon the residents on the West side of that street?
Aren't restaurants, and motels required to have their own parking? If not, why not.
All good questions!

But only your commission can answer.

Give them a call - all listed on the towns web page.

They represent you/us and make the decisions on how your/our tax money is being spent.

Its their job to explain what they are doing with this money.
They asked for your vote, they got elected, they are accountable.

Give them the opportunity to do their job. A job they asked you for and should thank you for! Givem a call!!
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41751 Feb 14, 2013
Parking By The Sea wrote:
I think that these spots are supposed to replace the spots we are about to lose on Commercial.

But not all parking spots are equal. I would venture a guess, moonlighting as a consultant, that the people who park in Bougainvillea median south of Commercial will walk east towards the beach and not by the stores on Commercial, and I think that the whole idea was for people to walk on the enlarged Commercial sidewalks. So these spots will not really replace Commercial parking spots.

Also, hotels mostly have their own parking. Restaurants not necessarily so. But the rationale is something like whatever is good for restaurants is good for hotels therefore the parking is also for hotels. I disagree that all this parking is for hotels even indirectly but some people know more.

The reason why I disagree is because whatever tangential effect trickles down from restaurants doing better as a result of more parking to hotels this allegedly significant benefit is offset by the direct cost in increased taxes that hotels have to pay for the cost of these parking lots. To put it in English, I think that we have enough restaurants as it is and we do not need more restaurants that get their restaurant permit without being required to take care of their own parking.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41752 Feb 15, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that these spots are supposed to replace the spots we are about to lose on Commercial.
But not all parking spots are equal. I would venture a guess, moonlighting as a consultant, that the people who park in Bougainvillea median south of Commercial will walk east towards the beach and not by the stores on Commercial, and I think that the whole idea was for people to walk on the enlarged Commercial sidewalks. So these spots will not really replace Commercial parking spots.
Also, hotels mostly have their own parking. Restaurants not necessarily so. But the rationale is something like whatever is good for restaurants is good for hotels therefore the parking is also for hotels. I disagree that all this parking is for hotels even indirectly but some people know more.
The reason why I disagree is because whatever tangential effect trickles down from restaurants doing better as a result of more parking to hotels this allegedly significant benefit is offset by the direct cost in increased taxes that hotels have to pay for the cost of these parking lots. To put it in English, I think that we have enough restaurants as it is and we do not need more restaurants that get their restaurant permit without being required to take care of their own parking.
What I find very interesting is by getting the town to relax the parking requirements for restaurants, to get more restaurants, they think they did a good thing. Without really thinking about it.

So now you have a couple of places that have opened, more of a glorified sandwich type places, many to come and many which will go out of business, for the same reason you give. We simply have enough. The saturation point has been exceeded for this business model.

This is why the town should not try to control private business, in thinking it can control the local business market.

This market is controlled by how good or bad the businesses are.

Are we becoming the place where businesses come and go? And the ones who are left are fighting just to stay in business. Therefore less profit to place back into the business and ends up looking bad. The opposite of what they plan?

Sure is looking that way. A lot more could be said on this, much to think about. Hope they are.
outdoor cafe

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41753 Feb 15, 2013
what is the charge per linear foot for restaurant to have an outdoor cafe?

rumor is the town charges very little
One Dollar Fifty Cents

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41754 Feb 15, 2013
outdoor cafe wrote:
what is the charge per linear foot for restaurant to have an outdoor cafe?
rumor is the town charges very little
If its on town property....
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41755 Feb 15, 2013
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
What I find very interesting is by getting the town to relax the parking requirements for restaurants, to get more restaurants, they think they did a good thing. Without really thinking about it.
So now you have a couple of places that have opened, more of a glorified sandwich type places, many to come and many which will go out of business, for the same reason you give. We simply have enough. The saturation point has been exceeded for this business model.
This is why the town should not try to control private business, in thinking it can control the local business market.
This market is controlled by how good or bad the businesses are.
Are we becoming the place where businesses come and go? And the ones who are left are fighting just to stay in business. Therefore less profit to place back into the business and ends up looking bad. The opposite of what they plan?
Sure is looking that way. A lot more could be said on this, much to think about. Hope they are.
I agree a lot.

I also wonder what is going to happen if these new businesses will come to the Commission during the summer asking for more help. Will we help more? Will we buy them parking?

From what I understand restaurant business is very competitive and since we have good and established restaurants around we may just end up spending town's resources trying to help new businesses that cannot survive in the long run anyhow. If the market can only support X number of restaurants and it is the town's policy to bring in more restaurants what will happen to restaurants in the long run?

What if the increased artificially manufactured competition, the result of town's relaxed parking policy, will end up hurting all restaurants in town?

Can anybody give assurance that this is all going to be a success in the long run?

Why meddle?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min shinningelectr0n 1,217,513
Review: Law Offices Of George Castrataro 8 min Mrniceguy 26
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 52,728
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr EasyEed 309,649
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr scirocco 69,617
News Which presidential hopefuls would attend a gay ... 3 hr Fa-Foxy 170
Deep Sea Fishing 11 hr Islander777 1
More from around the web

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]