Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

Full story: SouthFlorida.com

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.
Comments
41,501 - 41,520 of 42,339 Comments Last updated Saturday Aug 9
Truth Spoken

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

..... get the point of the lady who spoke of raising the heights in her area another story. She said it out right, it would increase the value of her place and make it easier to sell......
YIKES !
puddles come puddles go

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

arthur wrote:
For those of us who do not know the real season is February and March in years when Easter falls in March. So we have 50 more days to make money to last the rest of the year. If a street like Bougainvillea is dug up on February 6th then pretty much their season is gone. Some of their guests will put up with it out of loyalty but every day the landlords who are there have to make promises that it will end soon, which they hope is true. So they will be drained and their finances will be drained, and then the dais will make statements that these properties are not up to snuff or such.
What is needed in our town is some empathy from the dais finally. Put yourself in our shoes on the receiving end of the dug up street in front of your business in February or as a recipient of a crazy sewer bill.
everybody living in LBTS long enough knows that major construction projects in this town take a LONG LONG LONG TIME ......
.......that should have been thought about by residents along
Bougainvillea before complaining about drainage which was far easier to put up with than dusty ditches for what could turn out to be 2years
IT WAS UNTIL

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

I do not believe the sins of the father or the good deeds of a father should reflect upon any members of that family. I, like a young man on the charter review board, always had a desire to keep LBS, a small friendly town, by retaining what we cherished, our ocean view, quaint buildings, and where neighbors knew their neighbors on a first name basis. This charter member, perhaps , knows better than me, when my dream was shattered. New arrivals bought ocean front properties and other on El Mar. About five appeared at every meeting, asking for changes on El Mar. They had big dreams for changes. It appeared to all, their mission was to sell their properties, for huge profits, to big developers who would change our once beautiful town. Does this member recall who the property owners were, or was he too young to remember. As I said before, no one should be responsible for the sins of their father or reap the rewards of their good deeds. I wish this charter member luck, in achieving the return of what I always wanted for this town.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Reasonable wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain a reasonable way out?
There should be no problem with anyone saying they support raising hieghts because it will benefit them. Its America and its freedom of speach.
Now saying it and actualy doing it are two different things. If the action causes a negative action to the greater then it wont fly.
It's my beleif that all actions taken by the commission should pass mustard.
What will the positive and negative results be of the proposed action? This is towards all - residents and businesses. All treated the same.
This is not being done.
Well this is the tradeoff. Residents are for height limits. But when you place height limit on a property you lower the lot's value.

Normally, it would appear to me, and I am not pontificating just really asking if you guys and gals see it the same way, normally you do not want bigger buildings in town because you will get traffic increase, shades, etc. But the reason why you need to increase height limits is because your tax base is insufficient.

Now in our town currently we have a sufficient tax base to maintain the status quo although we are cornering ourselves with all these projects into a situation where we will need an increase in tax base. Furthermore, it is fashionable to come up with some crazy per unit charges as somebody recently recommended like tripling sewer, fire assessment and garbage for businesses just because they are businesses. If you do this then businesses will want to leave.

But we have a height limit. So hotels/apartments cannot sell out and they are not very profitable either because every so often our leaders come up with some arbitrary per unit charges. So we do not let businesses make money but we also do not let them sell out, and then we complain about how they look or we end up with more and more empty lots or fenced off properties.

When I am fighting for lower taxes and reasonable sewer fees and reasonable fire assessment I am really fighting for status quo as far as heights. If you like height limits why do not you just let existing businesses be treated fairly? If you are for spending you are against height limits whether you realize it or not. Because the higher the cost of running the town the closer the day when the existing tax base will be insufficient and height limits will have to be changed. And they will be changed because the choice will be for people on fixed income whether they want to pay more in property taxes on their home or whether they are OK with a an extra story or two to start. And this is how height limits will be relaxed and eliminated eventually.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this is the tradeoff. Residents are for height limits. But when you place height limit on a property you lower the lot's value.
Normally, it would appear to me, and I am not pontificating just really asking if you guys and gals see it the same way, normally you do not want bigger buildings in town because you will get traffic increase, shades, etc. But the reason why you need to increase height limits is because your tax base is insufficient.
Now in our town currently we have a sufficient tax base to maintain the status quo although we are cornering ourselves with all these projects into a situation where we will need an increase in tax base. Furthermore, it is fashionable to come up with some crazy per unit charges as somebody recently recommended like tripling sewer, fire assessment and garbage for businesses just because they are businesses. If you do this then businesses will want to leave.
But we have a height limit. So hotels/apartments cannot sell out and they are not very profitable either because every so often our leaders come up with some arbitrary per unit charges. So we do not let businesses make money but we also do not let them sell out, and then we complain about how they look or we end up with more and more empty lots or fenced off properties.
When I am fighting for lower taxes and reasonable sewer fees and reasonable fire assessment I am really fighting for status quo as far as heights. If you like height limits why do not you just let existing businesses be treated fairly? If you are for spending you are against height limits whether you realize it or not. Because the higher the cost of running the town the closer the day when the existing tax base will be insufficient and height limits will have to be changed. And they will be changed because the choice will be for people on fixed income whether they want to pay more in property taxes on their home or whether they are OK with a an extra story or two to start. And this is how height limits will be relaxed and eliminated eventually.
Well said, should print this and post it all around town.
The absolute truth.
What Happened

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

If I understand this right -

Currently the Mayor can serve 3 terms of 2 years each for a total of 6 years and is termed out. Have to take 2 year break to run again.

A Commissioner can serve 2 X 4 year terms and then run for Mayor can get reelected for the maximum 6 years for a possible total of 14 years without a break?

These are our term limits?

Silverstone made a motion for 8 year term limits for all?
Add to the Mayor another 2 years?
Take off 6 years from the commission?

Hummmmmm.......... Whats up with that?
Why a Mayor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Why do we have a mayor in this town?
It's not a strong mayor type of municipality.

Why couldn't we remove the election of mayor altogether and just have five elected commissioners with one of them appointed as a mayor and another one as vice-mayor?

All of them will then have the same 2 terms limits.
RAGS CREATE VICTORS

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

My Vote wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmy or Sasser would work, but no more attorneys! Delegal is a land use attorney which means development driven.
You, I, and most of the other voters will not determine who will be the next elected officials in town, unless we become stupid enough to vote for the candidates that are endorsed by the Future. They are the voice for this town, and create the victors. They have been correct, even when they had opposition. They are so powerful, two candidtes in the last election won without opposition, and one won with the the friendly press and the Future's endorsement. Even Obama could be elected a commissioner in LBS with the Futures backing.
respect President of USA

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

RAGS CREATE VICTORS wrote:
<quoted text> You, I, and most of the other voters will not determine who will be the next elected officials in town, unless we become stupid enough to vote for the candidates that are endorsed by the Future. They are the voice for this town, and create the victors. They have been correct, even when they had opposition. They are so powerful, two candidtes in the last election won without opposition, and one won with the the friendly press and the Future's endorsement. Even Obama could be elected a commissioner in LBS with the Futures backing.
I have lived in town over 25 years and am a proud American; I am a registered Republican but am proud to say I have voted for President Obama in two elections.

Personally, I find your comment offensive toward our President and
toward the FUTURES paper.

If you want political things in town to get done 'your way' then I suggest you get up off your rear end
and go out & try to get votes for candidates which have some intelligence and proper qualifications such as the present elected officials.
WHEN WHY

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

In case you are not aware of this .....

When you leave Walgreen's on Bouganvillea side
you no longer can make left to immediately go South on Bouganvillea . If you try to do that
you will hit a cement barriar which is difficult
to see when habits prevail. This can be very dangerous and the cement barriar should be removed by the town.

Why did this happen? When did the Commission approve plans to implement this dangerous closure?

Why would the town decide to put parking along
Bouganvillea when the natural safer place would
be on the El Mar Dr medians.

Your knowledge concerning the above would be appreciated.
he has all answers

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

respect President of USA wrote:
<quoted text>
I have lived in town over 25 years and am a proud American; I am a registered Republican but am proud to say I have voted for President Obama in two elections.
If you want political things in town to get done 'your way' then I suggest you get up off your rear end
and go out & try to get votes for candidates which have some intelligence and proper qualifications such as the present elected officials.
I have lived in town over sixty years, and a proud American for for years. I have always been a conservative registered Republican and even prouder to say I voted for the Republican candidates during the last two elections. I find your comments very offensive about my comments about Obama and the Futures. You are right, the Futures should not have been included. When we have our next wlection, I would like to contact you. Perhaps you would pass on to me and others, your list of qualified, intelligent candidates.
Against term limits

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

this writer is against term limits in small town

when you get people willing to serve why care if
they want to be in office for the rest of their lives

if they are not doing what is good for the town, they will be voted out
arthur

Deerfield Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Against term limits wrote:
this writer is against term limits in small town
when you get people willing to serve why care if
they want to be in office for the rest of their lives
if they are not doing what is good for the town, they will be voted out
However, in our town we had a democratic vote on this issue recently and term limits were passed overwhelmingly. Your argument was known before that vote do not you think? You have to respect the vote of the people.

Can't you get 100 signatures at least to show that the will of the people regarding term limits has changed and that we need to revisit this? And then just wait for somebody else to get 200 signatures opposing your hundred before we proceed with this further?

Why should members of the Charter Review Board get to have their own ideas about what needs to be changed with the charter without collecting any signatures? Why do not we first require Charter Review Board Members to produce some signatures before they speak of any need to act?

We did not even elect Charter Review Board Members (au contraire we unelected some of them from the Commission) so they cannot claim to represent us. Whom do Charter Review Board Members claim to represent? Where is their mandate coming from?

Or I am thinking that maybe the master plan is starting to look like it is going to be delayed that much that its supporters on the Commission are going to get termed out before it is completed? Hence we need to get rid of term limits. Would not that be funny.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

This writer is for term limits for any size public office holders.

A large body of work is behind this subject which overwhelmingly supports this view.

I also think our town's term limits should be reviewed as they are not consistent.

One person could serve 6 years and be termed out and yet another is allowed to serve 14 years before termed out.

There is a slight difference in the power of the mayors seat and a commissioners seat, but more then double the term separates them depending on when they hold the office.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Mokyor wrote:
This writer is for term limits for any size public office holders.
A large body of work is behind this subject which overwhelmingly supports this view.
I also think our town's term limits should be reviewed as they are not consistent.
One person could serve 6 years and be termed out and yet another is allowed to serve 14 years before termed out.
There is a slight difference in the power of the mayors seat and a commissioners seat, but more then double the term separates them depending on when they hold the office.
I am puzzled by your math. Do the term limits say that the Mayor cannot run for Commissioner? I really did not know that if so.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
I am puzzled by your math. Do the term limits say that the Mayor cannot run for Commissioner? I really did not know that if so.
The wording:
Sec. 6.3.- Qualifications of members of Town Commission.
(2)No person may be a candidate for Commissioner, nor may be appointed to fill a vacancy as a Commissioner, if that person has served during both of the two preceding consecutive Commission terms for that seat as a Commissioner or a Mayor-Commissioner or both, without a two year break in service.

(3)No person may be a candidate for Mayor-Commissioner, nor may be appointed to fill a vacancy as the Mayor-Commissioner, if that person has served during each of the three preceding consecutive Mayor-Commissioner terms as a Mayor-Commissioner.

The confusing word in (2) is "that seat" should be "a seat".

As it stands, the mayor, after the end of term limits for that seat cannot run for commission until after a 2 year break in service. Yet a commissioner, after their term limit can run for mayor,for the full term of 6 years,6+8=14 if they haven't been mayor for one term, without a 2 year break.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
The wording:
Sec. 6.3.- Qualifications of members of Town Commission.
(2)No person may be a candidate for Commissioner, nor may be appointed to fill a vacancy as a Commissioner, if that person has served during both of the two preceding consecutive Commission terms for that seat as a Commissioner or a Mayor-Commissioner or both, without a two year break in service.
(3)No person may be a candidate for Mayor-Commissioner, nor may be appointed to fill a vacancy as the Mayor-Commissioner, if that person has served during each of the three preceding consecutive Mayor-Commissioner terms as a Mayor-Commissioner.
The confusing word in (2) is "that seat" should be "a seat".
As it stands, the mayor, after the end of term limits for that seat cannot run for commission until after a 2 year break in service. Yet a commissioner, after their term limit can run for mayor,for the full term of 6 years,6+8=14 if they haven't been mayor for one term, without a 2 year break.
Well our Mayor did not serve as a Commissioner for "that seat." I do not see a problem with our Mayor running for Commissioner from the North.
Mokyor

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Well our Mayor did not serve as a Commissioner for "that seat." I do not see a problem with our Mayor running for Commissioner from the North.
I happen to agree. I also think a possible 14 years is too long.
Rambo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

respect President of USA wrote:
<quoted text>
You are either full of s**t or one confused MF. There is absolutely no logic in what you say. I believe you are perhaps a liar or a nut case.
All Are Created Equal

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Rambo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are either full of s**t or one confused MF. There is absolutely no logic in what you say. I believe you are perhaps a liar or a nut case.
.......it began with Abraham Lincoln........

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Pompano Beach Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pompano Beach People Search