Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the ...

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

There are 42363 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Jul 13, 2007, titled Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

No more entrance

Pompano Beach, FL

#41676 Feb 6, 2013
arthur wrote:
The point is that the financial work on these projects was not done or was not disclosed. Which is why these projects should not go ahead.
Whatever financial projections would be given to us somebody would be responsible for hitting these numbers. Somebody would also be able to exceed them and get extra credit.
As it is, the considerations are purely aesthetic. So the projects will be a guaranteed success, at first, even if they turn out to be a financial failure.
And I am not even talking about the loss or dislocation of parking because the people who know this issue best are the businesses located on Commercial.
Is this just plain abuse of power or poor planning?

to add parking spaces on Bouganvilla south of commercial blocking entrance to the Walgreens and laundry, forcing you to either take A1A or try and do a turn around further down the street?
Both

United States

#41677 Feb 6, 2013
No more entrance wrote:
<quoted text>
to add parking spaces on Bouganvilla south of commercial blocking entrance to the Walgreens and laundry, forcing you to either take A1A or try and do a turn around further down the street?
Its an abuse of power and poor planning!
Feel sorry for those nice town homes and other residents along that street.
Now they a parking lot in front and have to go out of their way to get to their homes. Not to mention the added noise and garbage it will bring.
This is another example with many more to come of the residents getting a reduction on their quality of life because of those two factors above.
park ur car cus

United States

#41678 Feb 6, 2013
No more entrance wrote:
<quoted text>
Do the same to El Mar Drive from north to south,as they have done to Bougainvilla, and all our parking problems will be solved.
deliveryless

United States

#41679 Feb 6, 2013
No more entrance wrote:
<quoted text>
Where will delivery trucks park, for Walgreens?
no no no

Pompano Beach, FL

#41680 Feb 6, 2013
park ur car cus wrote:
<quoted text>Do the same to El Mar Drive from north to south,as they have done to Bougainvilla, and all our parking problems will be solved.
Leave El Mar alone. It is our premier street not a parking lot.
SQUEEL

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41681 Feb 6, 2013
no no no wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in my back yard, you squeel. What is Bougainvlla south, chopped liver. I didn't hear the pigs squeel when they started the Boug project.
PARKING SOLUTIONS

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41682 Feb 6, 2013
no no no wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is best parking lot in town for special events, why wouldn't it be the best for each other day of the year.
El Mar Parking Medians

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41683 Feb 6, 2013
no no no wrote:
<quoted text>
El Mar Dr medians would be the most appropriate place for beachgoers and shoppers to park in town. In fact, the not so
popular public restrooms should be placed up on the medians in
four locations along El Mar Dr.

Its called business section El Mar Dr should provide the needed parking for businesses.
Businesses created mess

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41684 Feb 6, 2013
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
I also hope they make it better and help the businesses. I'm saying that - knowing most of the money being used came from the residents. The residents prefer good businesses and therefore the expense can be justified - to a point.
That point is crossed when public money is being missed-used and abused by business to benefit primarily themselves and not the town. Some call that smart business I call it the same thing that is killing our country.
For as long as I lived here the businesses have always complained about the parking. Yet for some reason that has yet to be explained the town keeps reducing the available parking. Remember the lots on all the portals - gone.
Now they are going to take away all the spots on Commercial east of Elmar and remove more all along Commercial up to the bridge, some which are right in front of the stores. The proposed drawings showed restaurants and cafes with outdoor seating. One little problem - where are the employees going to park? That by the way is already a problem for some.
Can anyone explain how this is going to workout as they wish?
Yes, public money is being unfairly and inappropriately used, all for the sake of business.
Businesses have gotten away with ruining the town, first thru outdoor street closures which creates the need for more parking
along with the need to screen loud music from some citizens in town bothered by it.
Businesses have created the reason why our beaches have gotten so crowded on weekends, yet, the most important necessary item for these crowds , ie public restrooms, have been out of the question because certain businesses do not want them in their backyard.
Businesses should be charged triple for sewers compared to residential cost of sewers. Plus business should be charged triple for fire assessments and garbage compared to residential.
Businesses have achieved growth, and continue onward to ruin the town by placing parking along Bougainvillea without concern for
the residents living along Bougainvillea south.
THIS TOWN WOULD BE BETTER OFF AND PRETTIER WITH LITTLE OR NO BUSINESSES ALONG
COMMERCIAL BLVD.
TERM LIMITS tobediscussed

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41685 Feb 6, 2013
THURSDAY, Feb 7 to channel 78 Town Hall
Charter Review Board will examine term limits
for Mayor and term limits for Commissioners

Mayor Minnet believes the present term limits
are unfair

Public is welcome to speak at the 6:30 meeting
no no no

Pompano Beach, FL

#41686 Feb 6, 2013
SQUEEL wrote:
<quoted text>Not in my back yard, you squeel. What is Bougainvlla south, chopped liver. I didn't hear the pigs squeel when they started the Boug project.
Sorry, I don't live on El Mar but love to walk it. It is a pretty street and should be left alone. Special event parking is one thing but not on a daily basis. Why does everything have to be about the drunks and the downtown businesses? Shouldn't the residents count for something. We do not need anymore parking for those out of towners who lug coolers to the beach.

I was at the meeting on Bouganvilla and most residents wanted the drainage fixed. Let's not rewrite history here. No one wants knee deep water on the street in front of his home.
I Agree

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41687 Feb 6, 2013
park ur car cus wrote:
<quoted text>Do the same to El Mar Drive from north to south,as they have done to Bougainvilla, and all our parking problems will be solved.
Business want to make money, majority of businesses want to
attract more customers, isn't it time businesses are held responsible for ruining the face and heart of the town.
Why not give them what they want. Parking - on El Mar Dr
For What

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41688 Feb 7, 2013
I Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
attract more customers, isn't it time businesses are held responsible for ruining the face and heart of the town.
Most of those businesses who want this wont do them any good. Its an excuse for running a lousy business,- its not their fault, it's the parking!
In the end the residents end up subsidizing crappy businesses. The crappy businesses will then turn around and sell. But then it will be worth more thanks to the residents, who wont see any of the profit they generated from paying for the new parking and taking a hit on their quality of life.
arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#41689 Feb 7, 2013
I Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
How about we do something that is free regarding parking. We do not reduce parking on Commercial.
Residents Arise

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41690 Feb 7, 2013
We are allowing the town administration to take our money and reduce our quality of life to benefit a selected few. Many of which are not even residents and if so, do not live in the area affected.

Our tax money is not being used in proportion to what is best for us, but what is best for those who stand to make a profit off it.

This commission is to inexperience to know better or simply chooses not to do what is best for those who they represent, but rather what is best for them.

Its happening all around us and with a smile behind weak unfounded reasons that do not make sense.

Pay no attention to anything other then what they are spending our money on and decide for yourself.

Please remember all those who told us that the prior commission was wasteful in their spending and that is the main reason they should be replaced.

The Future paper is now supporting the same thing they opposed a few years ago and where is Cole?

Commissioner Dodd who was out in front against the overlay districts which allowed 44 feet in some areas now has totally reversed his thinking on this? Think about it.
arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#41691 Feb 7, 2013
For What wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of those businesses who want this wont do them any good. Its an excuse for running a lousy business,- its not their fault, it's the parking!
In the end the residents end up subsidizing crappy businesses. The crappy businesses will then turn around and sell. But then it will be worth more thanks to the residents, who wont see any of the profit they generated from paying for the new parking and taking a hit on their quality of life.
If you do not want residents' money spent on parking for businesses contact your elected officials and vote accordingly.

I heard, and you did too if you listened, that our Commission would love to have a parking problem to solve because they are concerned about parking lots being underused.

What is going on here is a parking problem that is created by administration and the Commission which could then be solved by the administration and the Commission with taxpayers' money for our leaders' glory.

It is the oldest trick in the book. It goes something like this. When there are no problems let's create some so that we can solve them and the people will be thankful towards their leaders (us) for solving the problems forgetting who created these problems and who paid for problems' solution.

So let's eliminate some parking on Commercial and then let's "solve" it by putting parking somewhere else. If all goes well this will create problems with parking somewhere else which, after all, we can also "solve." It could be a never ending string of problems causing more problems for us to solve. We can be solving this for a while.

So I say how about we do not touch parking on Commercial? What is so wrong about not doing something?
For What

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41692 Feb 7, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
If you do not want residents' money spent on parking for businesses contact your elected officials and vote accordingly.
I heard, and you did too if you listened, that our Commission would love to have a parking problem to solve because they are concerned about parking lots being underused.
What is going on here is a parking problem that is created by administration and the Commission which could then be solved by the administration and the Commission with taxpayers' money for our leaders' glory.
It is the oldest trick in the book. It goes something like this. When there are no problems let's create some so that we can solve them and the people will be thankful towards their leaders (us) for solving the problems forgetting who created these problems and who paid for problems' solution.
So let's eliminate some parking on Commercial and then let's "solve" it by putting parking somewhere else. If all goes well this will create problems with parking somewhere else which, after all, we can also "solve." It could be a never ending string of problems causing more problems for us to solve. We can be solving this for a while.
So I say how about we do not touch parking on Commercial? What is so wrong about not doing something?
I try to listen and I will listen harder - thanks for pointing that out. Why must you be so condescending?

These leaders will not be around to solve this problem. There is not enough business left with all the new competition around us.

Notice a new restaurant being opening just the other side of the bridge? Pompano beach looking great with large lots parking all around. More people are leaving Florida then moving here now. With Pompano on one side and Ft. Lauderdale on the other having parking already available we are wasting our time and money.

We are what we are which is dam good and sustainable, but all of a sudden we want to compete with the big boys without the proper equipment. Where is the logic?
Where is that study?
arthur

Pompano Beach, FL

#41693 Feb 7, 2013
For What wrote:
<quoted text>
I try to listen and I will listen harder - thanks for pointing that out. Why must you be so condescending?
These leaders will not be around to solve this problem. There is not enough business left with all the new competition around us.
Notice a new restaurant being opening just the other side of the bridge? Pompano beach looking great with large lots parking all around. More people are leaving Florida then moving here now. With Pompano on one side and Ft. Lauderdale on the other having parking already available we are wasting our time and money.
We are what we are which is dam good and sustainable, but all of a sudden we want to compete with the big boys without the proper equipment. Where is the logic?
Where is that study?
Pompano has nothing on us. They have no hotels on Atlantic and the apartments/houses in the back of Atlantic are scary. We also have better restaurants. Nobody is going to be there during the week during summer. They might attract some local people on weekends throughout the year.

Fort Lauderdale's beach is too narrow and now broken. Fort Lauderdale is now going to be engaging in contest vs mother nature at taxpayer expense for a while, which will create a traffic jam there. Fort Lauderdale's hotels also are too expensive. Fort Lauderdale beach does not have a supermarket nearby. The Fort Lauderdale crowd is not our crowd. We did not have a 5 star hotel in Broward until 5 years ago or so and then we had fifteen of them open at the same time which was too much competition. From what I have heard they are constantly in foreclosure. Maybe in a couple more foreclosure cycles they will be back down to 3 stars. Or we can go up to 5 stars and compete with them because if they are in foreclosure then we should go there... The niche is at 3 stars.

We are perfectly fine. You know what everybody forgets? It is not about brand new buildings when you run a hotel, and it is not about parking when you run a restaurant. It is about service when you run a hotel and it is about good food at a good price when you run a restaurant. Master plan does nothing about service at hotels nor about good food at restaurants. We have been competing against the "big boys" until now and our business district has improved compared to where we were 10 years ago.

We are fine as is and what could be improved are things like the millage rate, the fire assessment, and sewer charges. But these are not sexy to our leaders. It is much more fun and self-fulfilling to do projects with that money. Of course what is fulfilling to them is strangling us but what's the problem.
For What

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41694 Feb 7, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Pompano has nothing on us. They have no hotels on Atlantic and the apartments/houses in the back of Atlantic are scary. We also have better restaurants. Nobody is going to be there during the week during summer. They might attract some local people on weekends throughout the year.
Fort Lauderdale's beach is too narrow and now broken. Fort Lauderdale is now going to be engaging in contest vs mother nature at taxpayer expense for a while, which will create a traffic jam there. Fort Lauderdale's hotels also are too expensive. Fort Lauderdale beach does not have a supermarket nearby. The Fort Lauderdale crowd is not our crowd. We did not have a 5 star hotel in Broward until 5 years ago or so and then we had fifteen of them open at the same time which was too much competition. From what I have heard they are constantly in foreclosure. Maybe in a couple more foreclosure cycles they will be back down to 3 stars. Or we can go up to 5 stars and compete with them because if they are in foreclosure then we should go there... The niche is at 3 stars.
We are perfectly fine. You know what everybody forgets? It is not about brand new buildings when you run a hotel, and it is not about parking when you run a restaurant. It is about service when you run a hotel and it is about good food at a good price when you run a restaurant. Master plan does nothing about service at hotels nor about good food at restaurants. We have been competing against the "big boys" until now and our business district has improved compared to where we were 10 years ago.
We are fine as is and what could be improved are things like the millage rate, the fire assessment, and sewer charges. But these are not sexy to our leaders. It is much more fun and self-fulfilling to do projects with that money. Of course what is fulfilling to them is strangling us but what's the problem.
Pompano beach has hotels along A1A, I did say beach. Plus its attracting many of the locals, more restaurants are in the works and the existing are making vast improvements. Ft. Lauderdale already has nice places which will have to charge more accordingly for the reasons you gave. We are in a competitive market, which is not being factored in by the administration as it should. That's my point.

The businesses in town now survive not only from local customers which includes all those staying in our town, but also from those living outside our town.

I agree fully with our service point. Its about the customer. Find it amazing how many still don't get that simple fact.

Why is the commission so hell bent on doing as they are? They are being influenced by those who are constantly pushing for it.

I have spoken to all of them and shared my concerns. I've done that a couple of times.

I also know others make an art out of doing the same because they have much more to personally gain and that is the problem as I see it.

The commissioners should know better, not only listen to those who are kissing their ass, but those who see a problem before us and are growing irate.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41695 Feb 7, 2013
For What wrote:
<quoted text>
Pompano beach has hotels along A1A, I did say beach. Plus its attracting many of the locals, more restaurants are in the works and the existing are making vast improvements. Ft. Lauderdale already has nice places which will have to charge more accordingly for the reasons you gave. We are in a competitive market, which is not being factored in by the administration as it should. That's my point.
The businesses in town now survive not only from local customers which includes all those staying in our town, but also from those living outside our town.
I agree fully with our service point. Its about the customer. Find it amazing how many still don't get that simple fact.
Why is the commission so hell bent on doing as they are? They are being influenced by those who are constantly pushing for it.
I have spoken to all of them and shared my concerns. I've done that a couple of times.
I also know others make an art out of doing the same because they have much more to personally gain and that is the problem as I see it.
The commissioners should know better, not only listen to those who are kissing their ass, but those who see a problem before us and are growing irate.
They are not concerned about existing businesses. Have not you heard during the meetings the statement that if businesses cannot pay taxes here and complain about all the work we will get better businesses to replace the existing ones? It was not said by a member of the dais but by one of their backers, one of the master plan pugilist supporters. But even though the dais did not say it, the dais has no plans to offset the pain that they are inflicting on existing businesses. Look at Bougainvillea big dig. It is February. I have been through this with A1A project. Look at the sewer situation even, they have no problem bleeding us even though they took a year to study the issue and the result came back to them that the sewer bills they sent out and continue to send out are wrong.

Why has not anybody sitting up there taken responsibility for the sewer overcharging and said something like "Well it is not the fault of hotels, the dais made the mistake, and the hotels are paying for the mistake made by the dais. The least that we could do is to say that from the moment we realized that we made the mistake we are on the hook for the money, not our victims, the hotels." That would be a decent and fair thing to do, and that would help existing businesses.

But it is not so. The wrong bills keep on going out and all is swell. So the message is that existing businesses are viewed as collateral damage in the grand master plan of putting in extra wide sidewalks on Commercial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min RoxLo 1,534,962
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr ffj 314,323
News Principal of Deerfield Elementary reassigned pe... (Nov '06) 9 hr Lawknows 636
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jun '16) 19 hr Lucy 71
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 22 hr TRD 71,288
News Pit bull ban: Ban pit bulls - they don't belong... (Jun '09) Tue Love my pitties 1,039
CardioFlex Therapy joins Medicaid! Tue CardioFlex 1

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages