Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

Full story: SouthFlorida.com

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project.
Comments
41,441 - 41,460 of 42,338 Comments Last updated Mar 28, 2014
Brown Eyed

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

candidates for Commercial wrote:
The candidate in the last election who publicly stated he was against
Commercial Blvd project getting done west of Commercial Blvd was Marc Brown, Mr. Brown thought the town should wait several years before jumping into the redoing of the entire length of Commercial
On the other hand, Marc Brown's opponent,
Mr. Malkoon,gave his approval for the entire length of Commercial Blvd getting an overhall;
therefore, it is assumed some of the CIC members are also for redoing the entire length of Commercial.
Mayor Minnet was for the Commercial project getting done.
This is another lie. After he was elected he voted for the project as it stands. Its all public record. He could have said anything and so what? His vote is want stands.
As for Mr. Malkoon he didn't get elected to review it in its entirety and to vote on it.
Bad assumption.

You would be a good writer for the Future - give them a call.
Fairness

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

GRAVEY TRAIN wrote:
<quoted text>If my memory serves me correct, the sewer ordinance was passed, finally, after many delays, with a four to one vote. As I recall Sasser voted against it. In my opinion, this ordinance will never be reflected in our sewer bills as intended. It is a hot potato. Ask any single family homeowner. They want to continue riding the gravey train.
Can only speak for myself on this and what I've heard others commit and that is to make it fair. Charge every user of the sewer system fairly. That's all we want. BTW if its true some of us were not being fairly charged it wasn't known until it came out from the studies that were just done.

So as a single family home owner and asking others around me this is what they think. They also define fairly meaning to each user based on what they have been paying and what they all ready paid for in relationship to other users. Fair is fair.

I think the method is fairer then before from what I read and the work that Arthur has done, but also think we are not paying fairly regarding the pie in the sky future projected infrastructure costs and the time tables in paying them.

Thoughtful

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mokyor wrote:
Please give this some thought.
You are a street wise person with some intelligence. You see a vision you want done in town. Be it a project to make money and or a bold idea that you believe in as best for this town.
How do you get it done?
If this idea is popular with the general public then you can call up your favorite commissioner have he or she place it on an agenda or speak to the town manager and get it done. Or you can call the town manager and try.
If its popular, then no problem just take a little time.
What if's its not popular? The commission and or TM wont move on it.
Then you have to convince the voters to push for it and or get a new commission in place.
Now if this idea will create jobs or more income for the professionals who work for town then it becomes a real possibility due to the strong push from them. Will take some more time of course, but that isn't a problem for some.
Somewhere along the way the question is asked if this idea is truly good for town? This usually happens right after the costs and project benefits are known. Or the study has holes in it or doesn't make sense.
Ask yourself where you think we are and if that doesn't set will with you - make some calls to your commissioners and ask them to explain!
Its their job to know and tell us and its our job to ask when things don't make sense.
While I agree with you, also like to believe the commission is doing their best. The best they can in doing what is best for town.
But I do understand the point the so called professionals can have a large amount of influence in their decisions. What they want done may not be in the best interest of town and rather what is best for them and their future.
It becomes a grey area because it comes down to opinions. One person or group may say "I think wider side walks at the expense of a couple of parking spots is better then a not so wide side walk with parking."
Going with your point the most expensive of the 2 which will create more jobs for the short time to these professionals and money from our pockets to theirs is the first. While what may be better for town in the long run is the 2nd.
Thinking about this a little more if the 1st fails the professionals would have already been paid and on to the next project and bad news for the commissioners is they get replaced.
Whom is the smart one?
What would be more fair

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

when you have over 60 rooms (referred to as 60 units), each havig toilet and
possibly kitchen facilities sewer charges should
be based upon number of units

perhaps the town should look into retroactive sewer charges for the years and years these users got away with paying their 'fair' share
Time for Lawsuit

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider this. If the restaurants are still on the old sewer methodology they are paying effectively $3.50/kilogallon. Our consultant determined that the fair price is upwards of $5/kilogallon. Restaurants tend to be the largest generators of sewage. With the old methodology the town was losing money and subsidizing restaurants. So just as we subsidized condos from the sewer fund we were/are subsidizing restaurants from the sewer fund now.
People have been looking at their sewer bills for at least five years with disbelief and we studied and studied and yet there is always some kind of unplugged hole in the sewer fund.
I spoke with somebody about this while the studying was happening. They were trying to get the result accurate to 1 percent, which is why we spent the money to compute individual ERUs for businesses. But I told him that I would not mind paying extra 1 percent if that meant that I will stop paying extra 100 percent immediately. It would take 100 months of bills that are wrong by on average 1 percent to offset 1 monthly bill that is wrong by 100+ percent, which is the current situation. 100 months is 8+ years. What would you rather have 100 monthly bills that are wrong by just 1 percent or just 2 monthly bills that are wrong by 130 percent? Do the math.
But we went ahead and spent months making sure that we get the methodology exactly correct, which was not worth it in my opinion, because of what I just described above and the fact that this methodology only goes out 10 years so its lifespan is less than 10 years now. We will need new methodology once the lifespan of this methodology, if not much earlier.
And now we are delaying this overly accurate methodology's implementation for some reason, which wipes out any gains from accuracy of this methodology over its 10 yr lifespan. Do the math like I did above.
As long as this methodology is not implemented though we continue on old methodology, which the town's consultant could not determine on what it is based. Pompano even told me that our town implemented Pompano's methodology wrong.
So as things stand, before we were subsidizing the sewer bills of condos north of Pine, and now we are subsidizing sewer bills of restaurants.
Ladies and gentleman we are trying to plug holes in our sewer system but we always have an unplugged financial hole in the sewer fund. If we want anything done with our sewer bills we have to plug all sewer holes, the physical holes in the pipes and the financial holes in the sewer fund.
too bad, but sometimes sueing gets more accomplished than blabbering on and on and on
Butter Up Business

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Brown Eyed wrote:
<quoted text>
This is another lie. After he was elected he voted for the project as it stands. Its all public record. He could have said anything and so what? His vote is want stands.
As for Mr. Malkoon he didn't get elected to review it in its entirety and to vote on it.
Bad assumption.
You would be a good writer for the Future - give them a call.
Listen to Mr. Malkoon during public comments before the election.
He mentions he reviewed Commercial Blvd project, wanted entire project implemented.
Wouldn't you expect a candidate to know all the facts and figures
and possible repercussions which might occur esp to the business community before making such a statement.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

What would be more fair wrote:
when you have over 60 rooms (referred to as 60 units), each havig toilet and
possibly kitchen facilities sewer charges should
be based upon number of units
perhaps the town should look into retroactive sewer charges for the years and years these users got away with paying their 'fair' share
I am already paying per unit for my hotel occupational license. We are talking about a sewer bill here.

Plus I would refer you to all the sewer agenda items from the last year of town meetings, which you must have missed. At issue is not even a per unit charge but how much to charge per unit.

It is industry practice for 20 percent of your bill to be fixed. If you charge me $16.33 per unit then 85 percent or I would argue an even higher portion of my sewer bill is fixed. At the opposite end of the spectrum you have restaurants (which are deemed to have 1 unit) and the largest restaurant in town has only 1 percent of its sewer bill fixed.

Plus if you are into retroactive charges for hotels are you for retroactive charges for restaurants and SRCs? Are you serious or are you just trying to scare me?
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Time for Lawsuit wrote:
<quoted text>
too bad, but sometimes sueing gets more accomplished than blabbering on and on and on
Lawsuits cost money and take time. This is why our town is so smug. Most likely the people who are responsible will not be around by then and it will be somebody else's problem.

But I discovered that it costs me nothing to blabber on and on and go to Commission meeting and keep blabbering on and on there. So maybe the town administration should not be so smug. I can go on and on and blabber on.

Mistakes cost political capital which is not infinite, which is what they are learning. Plus you know they are making me into a star.
Responsibility

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

In my view, if the town needs consultants, they should report to the Town Manager, and the Town Manager should be the one taking responsibility for the report. She ask for consultants because she can't do that job, then the temporary help she's hiring is for her. She should endorse the recommendations and take the blame if the results are not as expected. The consultants on the other hand will be long gone and won't care about any follow up. The Town manager should.

If not, why are we paying a Town Manager. We could just hire consultants instead.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Responsibility wrote:
In my view, if the town needs consultants, they should report to the Town Manager, and the Town Manager should be the one taking responsibility for the report. She ask for consultants because she can't do that job, then the temporary help she's hiring is for her. She should endorse the recommendations and take the blame if the results are not as expected. The consultants on the other hand will be long gone and won't care about any follow up. The Town manager should.
If not, why are we paying a Town Manager. We could just hire consultants instead.
Bingo. We have a winner idea.
Brown Eyed

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Butter Up Business wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen to Mr. Malkoon during public comments before the election.
He mentions he reviewed Commercial Blvd project, wanted entire project implemented.
Wouldn't you expect a candidate to know all the facts and figures
and possible repercussions which might occur esp to the business community before making such a statement.
Not going to argue on what version was shown, but OK then they are both idiots. At least the person behind Malkoon, his mom, has more sense then any of them.
YOUR TAX MONEY

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

let's see now, what progress has been made
since new TM joined the town

- town has mess on Bouganvillea
- town has not implemented the costly sewer study
- town is going to reincarnate Commercial Blvd
without studying the repercussions
- the practically new goodlooking sturdy permanent benches at the beach entrances which
Parker put in have been replaced with lightweight pastel plastic chairs which can be purchased at home depot , these seats are not sturdy enough to be safe, comfortable and sturdy for heavier adults and are a lawsuit waiting to happen
- what Master Plan do they speak about??? so far it sounds like this plan is hodgepodge of missmatched pieces

now, its your turn to add to this list of
expensive misshaps
ByTheSeaFuture

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

interesting articles in this new issue
Feel Good

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

ByTheSeaFuture wrote:
interesting articles in this new issue
Like what? Its a total fluff rag. No real news. Take a look at the Pompano Pelican for a much better job on trying to do some real reporting..
Whadda Da Ya Expect

Hialeah, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Feel Good wrote:
<quoted text>Like what? Its a total fluff rag. No real news. Take a look at the Pompano Pelican for a much better job on trying to do some real reporting..
The fluffed nutter is rehashed Connecticut news talk about supporting locals hahahahahahahahha NOT!
Lampposts shed light

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

YOUR TAX MONEY wrote:
let's see now, what progress has been made
since new TM joined the town
- town has mess on Bouganvillea
- town has not implemented the costly sewer study
- town is going to reincarnate Commercial Blvd
without studying the repercussions
- the practically new goodlooking sturdy permanent benches at the beach entrances which
Parker put in have been replaced with lightweight pastel plastic chairs which can be purchased at home depot , these seats are not sturdy enough to be safe, comfortable and sturdy for heavier adults and are a lawsuit waiting to happen
- what Master Plan do they speak about??? so far it sounds like this plan is hodgepodge of missmatched pieces
now, its your turn to add to this list of
expensive misshaps
add to above list
-waste of taxpayers money which pays for having lighted lampposts
in backyard easements, however, this TM claims citizens do not want
them turned on. Years ago, the police wanted them on for safety reasons, common sense sayshaving these posts turned back on at night makes your backyard safer as they shed light on backyards and the beam from these backyard lampposts stretched to light up the street. If citizens want them on they can call FPL, give the location of the lamppost, report it out and get confirmation number from FPL
Backyard Lampposts

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Lampposts shed light wrote:
<quoted text>
add to above list
-waste of taxpayers money which pays for having lighted lampposts
in backyard easements, however, this TM claims citizens do not want
them turned on. Years ago, the police wanted them on for safety reasons, common sense sayshaving these posts turned back on at night makes your backyard safer as they shed light on backyards and the beam from these backyard lampposts stretched to light up the street. If citizens want them on they can call FPL, give the location of the lamppost, report it out and get confirmation number from FPL
Taxpayers are paying for the town to have lighted backyard lampposts regardless of whether the bulb is broke or if they are turned on the town is charged the same either way, so why not turn them on?
WTF

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Do I have this right? The town administration is closing up the parking lot next to wings to reconfigure it to add more spots and at the same time they are adding new spots on Bougainvillea S of commercial?

Right now - just at the start of our season.

What is the reason they don't wait a couple of months until after season?
SECRETS

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

WTF wrote:
Do I have this right? The town administration is closing up the parking lot next to wings to reconfigure it to add more spots and at the same time they are adding new spots on Bougainvillea S of commercial?
Right now - just at the start of our season.
What is the reason they don't wait a couple of months until after season?
There are only twelve months in the year, perhaps we should hold off untill each year contains 24 or 36 months. With all the projects requested by the voters during the last two elections they are getting what they asked for. If you don't believe me, ask your commissioners. The voters gave them the encouragement and backing, and the commissioners passed this info onto the town manager. I hear little to no objections from any of the voters who oppose any of these actions. The Future seems to approve. That is my source of information. Does anyone else have other opinions and if so why is it kept a secret?
WTF

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

SECRETS wrote:
<quoted text>There are only twelve months in the year, perhaps we should hold off untill each year contains 24 or 36 months. With all the projects requested by the voters during the last two elections they are getting what they asked for. If you don't believe me, ask your commissioners. The voters gave them the encouragement and backing, and the commissioners passed this info onto the town manager. I hear little to no objections from any of the voters who oppose any of these actions. The Future seems to approve. That is my source of information. Does anyone else have other opinions and if so why is it kept a secret?
Good point, as it should only take a month or so to do it, but the time its taken them to finish N. Bougainvillea it could take much longer.

The Futures may print the ideas came from the voters and I'm sure it may have come from a couple.

The issue is the way it was presented during the work shops. The opinion of doing it in the first places was never raised by them.

They simply told everyone what would you like and don't be concerned with the cost as that will be addressed later. The workshops revolved around what people wanted without any concern for price.

This is the ways its always been done with all the other master plans collecting dust on some shelf. The difference this time is they don't have to raise taxes and or take a bond out as they already have the money.

Now the important item to really ponder.
The money they are using came from the savings generated from not reducing the millage rate once they reduced some of our costs. As been said on this blog before primary by Arthur and Mokyor.

Now think about this. What if they had to come before the residents and say we need to raise the millage rate enough to pay for a bond or enough to pay for it out right. Be the way that would just about double the millage rate. This is only for the changes to Commercial, the sidewalks etc.

What do you think would happen? Then why isn't it happening now? Because the word is not getting out.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••