Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Portal to the beach to receive an upgrad...

The city's portal to the beach is slated to be revamped as part of a beautification project. Full Story
What would be more fair

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41655 Feb 1, 2013
when you have over 60 rooms (referred to as 60 units), each havig toilet and
possibly kitchen facilities sewer charges should
be based upon number of units

perhaps the town should look into retroactive sewer charges for the years and years these users got away with paying their 'fair' share
Time for Lawsuit

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41656 Feb 1, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider this. If the restaurants are still on the old sewer methodology they are paying effectively $3.50/kilogallon. Our consultant determined that the fair price is upwards of $5/kilogallon. Restaurants tend to be the largest generators of sewage. With the old methodology the town was losing money and subsidizing restaurants. So just as we subsidized condos from the sewer fund we were/are subsidizing restaurants from the sewer fund now.
People have been looking at their sewer bills for at least five years with disbelief and we studied and studied and yet there is always some kind of unplugged hole in the sewer fund.
I spoke with somebody about this while the studying was happening. They were trying to get the result accurate to 1 percent, which is why we spent the money to compute individual ERUs for businesses. But I told him that I would not mind paying extra 1 percent if that meant that I will stop paying extra 100 percent immediately. It would take 100 months of bills that are wrong by on average 1 percent to offset 1 monthly bill that is wrong by 100+ percent, which is the current situation. 100 months is 8+ years. What would you rather have 100 monthly bills that are wrong by just 1 percent or just 2 monthly bills that are wrong by 130 percent? Do the math.
But we went ahead and spent months making sure that we get the methodology exactly correct, which was not worth it in my opinion, because of what I just described above and the fact that this methodology only goes out 10 years so its lifespan is less than 10 years now. We will need new methodology once the lifespan of this methodology, if not much earlier.
And now we are delaying this overly accurate methodology's implementation for some reason, which wipes out any gains from accuracy of this methodology over its 10 yr lifespan. Do the math like I did above.
As long as this methodology is not implemented though we continue on old methodology, which the town's consultant could not determine on what it is based. Pompano even told me that our town implemented Pompano's methodology wrong.
So as things stand, before we were subsidizing the sewer bills of condos north of Pine, and now we are subsidizing sewer bills of restaurants.
Ladies and gentleman we are trying to plug holes in our sewer system but we always have an unplugged financial hole in the sewer fund. If we want anything done with our sewer bills we have to plug all sewer holes, the physical holes in the pipes and the financial holes in the sewer fund.
too bad, but sometimes sueing gets more accomplished than blabbering on and on and on
Butter Up Business

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41657 Feb 1, 2013
Brown Eyed wrote:
<quoted text>
This is another lie. After he was elected he voted for the project as it stands. Its all public record. He could have said anything and so what? His vote is want stands.
As for Mr. Malkoon he didn't get elected to review it in its entirety and to vote on it.
Bad assumption.
You would be a good writer for the Future - give them a call.
Listen to Mr. Malkoon during public comments before the election.
He mentions he reviewed Commercial Blvd project, wanted entire project implemented.
Wouldn't you expect a candidate to know all the facts and figures
and possible repercussions which might occur esp to the business community before making such a statement.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41658 Feb 1, 2013
What would be more fair wrote:
when you have over 60 rooms (referred to as 60 units), each havig toilet and
possibly kitchen facilities sewer charges should
be based upon number of units
perhaps the town should look into retroactive sewer charges for the years and years these users got away with paying their 'fair' share
I am already paying per unit for my hotel occupational license. We are talking about a sewer bill here.

Plus I would refer you to all the sewer agenda items from the last year of town meetings, which you must have missed. At issue is not even a per unit charge but how much to charge per unit.

It is industry practice for 20 percent of your bill to be fixed. If you charge me $16.33 per unit then 85 percent or I would argue an even higher portion of my sewer bill is fixed. At the opposite end of the spectrum you have restaurants (which are deemed to have 1 unit) and the largest restaurant in town has only 1 percent of its sewer bill fixed.

Plus if you are into retroactive charges for hotels are you for retroactive charges for restaurants and SRCs? Are you serious or are you just trying to scare me?
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41659 Feb 1, 2013
Time for Lawsuit wrote:
<quoted text>
too bad, but sometimes sueing gets more accomplished than blabbering on and on and on
Lawsuits cost money and take time. This is why our town is so smug. Most likely the people who are responsible will not be around by then and it will be somebody else's problem.

But I discovered that it costs me nothing to blabber on and on and go to Commission meeting and keep blabbering on and on there. So maybe the town administration should not be so smug. I can go on and on and blabber on.

Mistakes cost political capital which is not infinite, which is what they are learning. Plus you know they are making me into a star.
Responsibility

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41660 Feb 1, 2013
In my view, if the town needs consultants, they should report to the Town Manager, and the Town Manager should be the one taking responsibility for the report. She ask for consultants because she can't do that job, then the temporary help she's hiring is for her. She should endorse the recommendations and take the blame if the results are not as expected. The consultants on the other hand will be long gone and won't care about any follow up. The Town manager should.

If not, why are we paying a Town Manager. We could just hire consultants instead.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41661 Feb 1, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
In my view, if the town needs consultants, they should report to the Town Manager, and the Town Manager should be the one taking responsibility for the report. She ask for consultants because she can't do that job, then the temporary help she's hiring is for her. She should endorse the recommendations and take the blame if the results are not as expected. The consultants on the other hand will be long gone and won't care about any follow up. The Town manager should.
If not, why are we paying a Town Manager. We could just hire consultants instead.
Bingo. We have a winner idea.
Brown Eyed

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41662 Feb 1, 2013
Butter Up Business wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen to Mr. Malkoon during public comments before the election.
He mentions he reviewed Commercial Blvd project, wanted entire project implemented.
Wouldn't you expect a candidate to know all the facts and figures
and possible repercussions which might occur esp to the business community before making such a statement.
Not going to argue on what version was shown, but OK then they are both idiots. At least the person behind Malkoon, his mom, has more sense then any of them.
YOUR TAX MONEY

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41663 Feb 1, 2013
let's see now, what progress has been made
since new TM joined the town

- town has mess on Bouganvillea
- town has not implemented the costly sewer study
- town is going to reincarnate Commercial Blvd
without studying the repercussions
- the practically new goodlooking sturdy permanent benches at the beach entrances which
Parker put in have been replaced with lightweight pastel plastic chairs which can be purchased at home depot , these seats are not sturdy enough to be safe, comfortable and sturdy for heavier adults and are a lawsuit waiting to happen
- what Master Plan do they speak about??? so far it sounds like this plan is hodgepodge of missmatched pieces

now, its your turn to add to this list of
expensive misshaps
ByTheSeaFuture

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41664 Feb 1, 2013
interesting articles in this new issue
Feel Good

Lake Worth, FL

#41665 Feb 2, 2013
ByTheSeaFuture wrote:
interesting articles in this new issue
Like what? Its a total fluff rag. No real news. Take a look at the Pompano Pelican for a much better job on trying to do some real reporting..
Whadda Da Ya Expect

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41666 Feb 2, 2013
Feel Good wrote:
<quoted text>Like what? Its a total fluff rag. No real news. Take a look at the Pompano Pelican for a much better job on trying to do some real reporting..
The fluffed nutter is rehashed Connecticut news talk about supporting locals hahahahahahahahha NOT!
Lampposts shed light

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41667 Feb 2, 2013
YOUR TAX MONEY wrote:
let's see now, what progress has been made
since new TM joined the town
- town has mess on Bouganvillea
- town has not implemented the costly sewer study
- town is going to reincarnate Commercial Blvd
without studying the repercussions
- the practically new goodlooking sturdy permanent benches at the beach entrances which
Parker put in have been replaced with lightweight pastel plastic chairs which can be purchased at home depot , these seats are not sturdy enough to be safe, comfortable and sturdy for heavier adults and are a lawsuit waiting to happen
- what Master Plan do they speak about??? so far it sounds like this plan is hodgepodge of missmatched pieces
now, its your turn to add to this list of
expensive misshaps
add to above list
-waste of taxpayers money which pays for having lighted lampposts
in backyard easements, however, this TM claims citizens do not want
them turned on. Years ago, the police wanted them on for safety reasons, common sense sayshaving these posts turned back on at night makes your backyard safer as they shed light on backyards and the beam from these backyard lampposts stretched to light up the street. If citizens want them on they can call FPL, give the location of the lamppost, report it out and get confirmation number from FPL
Backyard Lampposts

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41668 Feb 2, 2013
Lampposts shed light wrote:
<quoted text>
add to above list
-waste of taxpayers money which pays for having lighted lampposts
in backyard easements, however, this TM claims citizens do not want
them turned on. Years ago, the police wanted them on for safety reasons, common sense sayshaving these posts turned back on at night makes your backyard safer as they shed light on backyards and the beam from these backyard lampposts stretched to light up the street. If citizens want them on they can call FPL, give the location of the lamppost, report it out and get confirmation number from FPL
Taxpayers are paying for the town to have lighted backyard lampposts regardless of whether the bulb is broke or if they are turned on the town is charged the same either way, so why not turn them on?
WTF

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41669 Feb 4, 2013
Do I have this right? The town administration is closing up the parking lot next to wings to reconfigure it to add more spots and at the same time they are adding new spots on Bougainvillea S of commercial?

Right now - just at the start of our season.

What is the reason they don't wait a couple of months until after season?
SECRETS

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41670 Feb 4, 2013
WTF wrote:
Do I have this right? The town administration is closing up the parking lot next to wings to reconfigure it to add more spots and at the same time they are adding new spots on Bougainvillea S of commercial?
Right now - just at the start of our season.
What is the reason they don't wait a couple of months until after season?
There are only twelve months in the year, perhaps we should hold off untill each year contains 24 or 36 months. With all the projects requested by the voters during the last two elections they are getting what they asked for. If you don't believe me, ask your commissioners. The voters gave them the encouragement and backing, and the commissioners passed this info onto the town manager. I hear little to no objections from any of the voters who oppose any of these actions. The Future seems to approve. That is my source of information. Does anyone else have other opinions and if so why is it kept a secret?
WTF

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41671 Feb 4, 2013
SECRETS wrote:
<quoted text>There are only twelve months in the year, perhaps we should hold off untill each year contains 24 or 36 months. With all the projects requested by the voters during the last two elections they are getting what they asked for. If you don't believe me, ask your commissioners. The voters gave them the encouragement and backing, and the commissioners passed this info onto the town manager. I hear little to no objections from any of the voters who oppose any of these actions. The Future seems to approve. That is my source of information. Does anyone else have other opinions and if so why is it kept a secret?
Good point, as it should only take a month or so to do it, but the time its taken them to finish N. Bougainvillea it could take much longer.

The Futures may print the ideas came from the voters and I'm sure it may have come from a couple.

The issue is the way it was presented during the work shops. The opinion of doing it in the first places was never raised by them.

They simply told everyone what would you like and don't be concerned with the cost as that will be addressed later. The workshops revolved around what people wanted without any concern for price.

This is the ways its always been done with all the other master plans collecting dust on some shelf. The difference this time is they don't have to raise taxes and or take a bond out as they already have the money.

Now the important item to really ponder.
The money they are using came from the savings generated from not reducing the millage rate once they reduced some of our costs. As been said on this blog before primary by Arthur and Mokyor.

Now think about this. What if they had to come before the residents and say we need to raise the millage rate enough to pay for a bond or enough to pay for it out right. Be the way that would just about double the millage rate. This is only for the changes to Commercial, the sidewalks etc.

What do you think would happen? Then why isn't it happening now? Because the word is not getting out.
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41672 Feb 4, 2013
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>Good point, as it should only take a month or so to do it, but the time its taken them to finish N. Bougainvillea it could take much longer.
The Futures may print the ideas came from the voters and I'm sure it may have come from a couple.
The issue is the way it was presented during the work shops. The opinion of doing it in the first places was never raised by them.
They simply told everyone what would you like and don't be concerned with the cost as that will be addressed later. The workshops revolved around what people wanted without any concern for price.
This is the ways its always been done with all the other master plans collecting dust on some shelf. The difference this time is they don't have to raise taxes and or take a bond out as they already have the money.
Now the important item to really ponder.
The money they are using came from the savings generated from not reducing the millage rate once they reduced some of our costs. As been said on this blog before primary by Arthur and Mokyor.
Now think about this. What if they had to come before the residents and say we need to raise the millage rate enough to pay for a bond or enough to pay for it out right. Be the way that would just about double the millage rate. This is only for the changes to Commercial, the sidewalks etc.
What do you think would happen? Then why isn't it happening now? Because the word is not getting out.
Whether these projects were approved by taxpayers or not (they were not) I sure hope that they succeed (and I do not think that they will). This hotel is preparing/prepared for worse times under this TM.

It is kind of funny to hear that this TM wants to help hotel industry survive in this town. This TM is the problem for the hotel industry in this town. This TM has been the most destructive TM yet because of the baseless sewer methodology that is still in place, with no talk of refund for the 2 years of overcharging.

If this TM wants to help hotels in this town this TM should resign immediately and we should start over with a new administration.
Mokyor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41673 Feb 5, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether these projects were approved by taxpayers or not (they were not) I sure hope that they succeed (and I do not think that they will). This hotel is preparing/prepared for worse times under this TM.
It is kind of funny to hear that this TM wants to help hotel industry survive in this town. This TM is the problem for the hotel industry in this town. This TM has been the most destructive TM yet because of the baseless sewer methodology that is still in place, with no talk of refund for the 2 years of overcharging.
If this TM wants to help hotels in this town this TM should resign immediately and we should start over with a new administration.
I also hope they make it better and help the businesses. I'm saying that - knowing most of the money being used came from the residents. The residents prefer good businesses and therefore the expense can be justified - to a point.

That point is crossed when public money is being missed-used and abused by business to benefit primarily themselves and not the town. Some call that smart business I call it the same thing that is killing our country.

For as long as I lived here the businesses have always complained about the parking. Yet for some reason that has yet to be explained the town keeps reducing the available parking. Remember the lots on all the portals - gone.

Now they are going to take away all the spots on Commercial east of Elmar and remove more all along Commercial up to the bridge, some which are right in front of the stores. The proposed drawings showed restaurants and cafes with outdoor seating. One little problem - where are the employees going to park? That by the way is already a problem for some.

Can anyone explain how this is going to workout as they wish?
arthur

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#41674 Feb 5, 2013
Mokyor wrote:
<quoted text>
I also hope they make it better and help the businesses. I'm saying that - knowing most of the money being used came from the residents. The residents prefer good businesses and therefore the expense can be justified - to a point.
That point is crossed when public money is being missed-used and abused by business to benefit primarily themselves and not the town. Some call that smart business I call it the same thing that is killing our country.
For as long as I lived here the businesses have always complained about the parking. Yet for some reason that has yet to be explained the town keeps reducing the available parking. Remember the lots on all the portals - gone.
Now they are going to take away all the spots on Commercial east of Elmar and remove more all along Commercial up to the bridge, some which are right in front of the stores. The proposed drawings showed restaurants and cafes with outdoor seating. One little problem - where are the employees going to park? That by the way is already a problem for some.
Can anyone explain how this is going to workout as they wish?
There are two schools of thought about this whole "helping businesses" business.

I take it that the idea behind the phrase "helping businesses" is to promote local economy, which, if vibrant, keeps taxes low or allows the town to look good.

One school of thought, and it seems that our TM subscribes to this, is that local government can identify projects that will help local economy grow. The local government collects money for these projects via taxes, does them, and the economy grows. That is the ideal.

The second school of thought, which is the one to which I subscribe, is that for economy to grow you have to improve the environment. So we all agree on this. But part of the business environment is financial. When our town takes money for these projects that hurts financial environment in our town.

Let's say you own a business and you have revenue and costs throughout the year. You paid $1 million for this business and at the end of the year it turns out you make $50K in profit. So you get 5 percent return on your invested $1 million per year. You have a choice: you can sell the business for $1 million or you can keep the business and get $50K/year.

But let's say your local government tries to help you with projects. So they take extra money from you which lessens your $50K/year profit by the amount that they take. Now instead of $50K/year you are making $35K/year. Well now your return on your million is down to 3.5%.

So you say, as this is just an example, well it was worth it for me to run a hotel and get 5 percent per year but at 3.5 percent per year I am going to sell it and do something else with the money.

So you try to sell it but the prospective buyer says this to you. Your business was worth $1 million when it was making $50K/year in profit but when it is making $35K/year in profit then it is not worth $1 million but instead it is worth $800,000. So your business is now worth $200K less.

So you say to the prospective buyer, but our TM is investing money in the town and in a few years things will really pick up so the business is still worth $1 million.

And you will hear back "maybe they will or maybe not, what if the TM is investing money in a bad project?"

So you see we are back to figuring out which school of thought is correct. Our local government is saying that it is helping us with these projects but in order to pay for these projects it has to hurt us by taking money away from us to pay for the projects.

So that is why I have been asking during Town Meetings about the financial projections of benefits of these projects. How do we know that these projects will prove good investment of our money?

If these projects are not a good investment then while we are being told that these projects are to benefit us they might very well end up hurting us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Teaman 1,154,470
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min mdbuilder 49,253
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 22 min Rick Moss 71,135
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 38 min scirocco 68,894
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 40 min Pearl Jam 307,010
the outlaws motorcycle gang in south Florida is... (Feb '11) 3 hr Sirius 231
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr zazz 96,665
Pompano Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pompano Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pompano Beach

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]