SunPass Mini: It's smaller, costs $4....

SunPass Mini: It's smaller, costs $4.99 & there are no batteries

There are 73 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 30, 2008, titled SunPass Mini: It's smaller, costs $4.99 & there are no batteries. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The SunPass Mini, a cheaper, smaller alternative to the existing $25 transponder, will go on sale today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Kim

United States

#1 Jun 30, 2008
I dont like the idea of anything sticking to my windshield and not coming off, well unless you break it of course.......... and as for not knowing if it was paid or not..........last year there was a issue at several toll plazas and if it had not alerted me with a different sound..........i would not have checked and found it was charging me different rates according to the axels of my ford focus. After investigating a little i found it had been going on with several of my transponders. Yes they did refund and make the correction but what if I hadnt checked it out? I highly recommend that everyone check online monthly to verify you are paying the correct amount. JUST SOME FRIENDLY FYI before attaching the PERMANENT STICKER TO YOUR WINDSHIELD (i notice that word wasnt used at all)
BROWARD RESIDENT

Jupiter, FL

#2 Jun 30, 2008
WHAT!!!!
SUNSENTINEL JUST "ADJUSTED/CUT" THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE!!!!
THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE ALSO SPOKE ABOUT THE NEW TOLLS ON I-95!!! CLOSING THE HOV LANES, AND MAKING ALL THOSE NOT WILLING TO PAY THE NEW TOLL TO SHARE 4 LANES!!!!

how come sun-sentinel did this change?
Shame on you Sun-Sentinel. Who are your customers? the readers or corporations?

IF SUN-SENTINEL WANTS TO BE AN ADVERTISING AGENCY THEN GREAT, JUST DON'T HIDE BEHIND A BANNER THAT SAYS "NEWSPAPER".
BROWARD RESIDENT

Jupiter, FL

#3 Jun 30, 2008
HERE IS THE REST OF THE ARTICLE;

The SunPass Mini is rolling out just in time for the new express toll lanes now taking shape on Interstate 95 in Miami-Dade County.

The first phase will open later this summer on northbound I-95 between State Road 112 and the Golden Glades interchange.

Workers are eliminating the unpopular carpool lanes and re-striping I-95 with two express toll lanes and four regular lanes in each direction.

The second phase, which will transform the southbound lanes from the Golden Glades to I-395 and the northbound lanes from I-395 to S.R. 112, will open in late 2009.

Future phases will extend the express lanes north to Fort Lauderdale.

The express lanes will be free for registered carpools with three or more occupants, motorcycles, hybrids and buses. Other drivers with SunPass can use the lanes for a fee that could cost up $2.50 from downtown Miami and the Golden Glades at the peak of rush hour.

Michael Turnbell can be reached at [email protected]

More articles
BROWARD RESIDENT

Jupiter, FL

#4 Jun 30, 2008
I just tried emailing Michael Turnbell at [email protected], but the email address Failed!!!
CCJ

Charlotte, NC

#5 Jul 1, 2008
Not a bad idea but you better sign up for the Easy Pay automatic replenish if it makes no sound/light to tell you a toll has been paid. Plenty of people who get these will forget what their balance is and run out of money on the pass. Then they'll drive thru a toll and still have no idea where they stand....so they could wind up using an empty card many times if they are not checking their balance online regularly. That'll lead to hefty fines and there goes your cost savings. Expecting the general public to be diligent and go online to keep their balance in the positive is a disaster waiting to happen. How many people can't keep a positive balance in their bank account even though they can see their available funds anytime at any ATM on any corner? This no sound/no light card should only be available with automatic renewal. Or maybe the state is banking on all the extra penalty fees this pass is bound to cause people to end up paying......
NWO

Hollywood, FL

#6 Jul 1, 2008
Soon, we will be giving away a free Sunpass that will be implanted into your hand.

Won't that be sweet!?
You'll be able to use it to buy food, gas and all manner of items.
Think of the ease.
The convenience.

And you won't even complain.
You never do.
This is SO EASY.
lab-rat

Boca Raton, FL

#7 Jul 1, 2008
1. Weren't the turnpike tolls supposed to be temporary and go away after it was paid for?

2. Sunpass = an electronic transponder device with a unique identifying code for each person. Not to get all nuts, but think of the potential here. In theory, your vehicle could be tracked where ever it goes and your identity could be revealed any time you are in your car. And with the new stick on version, you can't put it in the magic mylar bag and hide.

Just sayin'...
Larry

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Jul 1, 2008
Before they impose penalties, they need to perfect the process. Their process sucks at best. I have replenished my sponder two times @$20. For months my account showed a negative balance never showing the additions. Then, I have a motorcycle and a pickup truck. Both are listed on the account, yet I have driven through the pass lane with both more than a few times with it never recording my pass through. That is not my fault. I had suspected but did not know until I called to find out where my last $20 went to since I had only used it probably four times since the replenish and had a negative $9.52 as I recall. That is when I was informed that my tag was photographed for "not paying the toll". So, in summary, I have a transponder with new battery, have replenished two times @$20 each, only use it seldom at best, yet my account was negative for months upon months and was informed I have been photographed for non-payment, all the while my account has at least $20 in it. I think they should find out what really is happening rather than assuming everyone is criminal. It appears to me, this system has more flaws, inaccuracies and is inconsistent at best. Yet we, the users are automatically labeled the criminals. Sorry, I know from my own experience, this is not necessarily factual. I just checked my account, it finally shows a positive 22.45. Amazing. It only took more than five months to reflect my last replenish.
Mark_2100

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Jul 1, 2008
You mean it doesn't cost me 25$ to save the state money anymore? That does it i'm going back to using change.
Hey isn't that Obama's whole platform?
Delray

United States

#10 Jul 1, 2008
Good about getting rid of the HOA lane. This discrimination must stop. Make em pay!
BROWARD RESIDENT wrote:
WHAT!!!!
SUNSENTINEL JUST "ADJUSTED/CUT" THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE!!!!
THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE ALSO SPOKE ABOUT THE NEW TOLLS ON I-95!!! CLOSING THE HOV LANES, AND MAKING ALL THOSE NOT WILLING TO PAY THE NEW TOLL TO SHARE 4 LANES!!!!
how come sun-sentinel did this change?
Shame on you Sun-Sentinel. Who are your customers? the readers or corporations?
IF SUN-SENTINEL WANTS TO BE AN ADVERTISING AGENCY THEN GREAT, JUST DON'T HIDE BEHIND A BANNER THAT SAYS "NEWSPAPER".
8-Ball

Miami, FL

#11 Jul 1, 2008
"It comes just in time for July Fourth, when many Floridians will hit the roads."

Don't know there will be as many "Floridians" hitting the road when we can barely pay for gas to go to work!!!
DAS

United States

#13 Jul 1, 2008
Who can afford to DRIVE ??????????
DAS

United States

#14 Jul 1, 2008
concerned one wrote:
Without question, SunPass is one of the BIGGEST farces ever laid on the general public.
Yes it is..Just Like The Phony Gas Prices etc etc etc
Big Brother at the Helm

Boca Raton, FL

#15 Jul 1, 2008
Yup-

This "silent" permanent "sticker" is the first step to chipping and tracking all of us sheep.
Embrace it folks. Don't complain about your privacy. Make it Easy for them... Accept the microchip in your arm... It's for your safety:)
Trixie

AOL

#16 Jul 1, 2008
How much is a new battery for the transponder? Mine is running low.

Also can the balance on the transponder be transferred to the new gizmo?
Passive101

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Jul 1, 2008
I've never had a problem with cash. Until the system is perfected I'm not willing to ever get fined by something therefore costing me even more money.
ctd

Miami, FL

#18 Jul 1, 2008
Trixie wrote:
How much is a new battery for the transponder? Mine is running low.
Also can the balance on the transponder be transferred to the new gizmo?
New batteries are about $5....available at Walgreen's and I believe you cannot transfer anything. If you have the current transponder, do NOT waste your time buying this new one.....once you pull it off your windshield, it is dead and then you have dried up glue on your windshield that you will NEVER get off.
spaarkil

AOL

#19 Jul 1, 2008
I do not have too much need for a Sunpass. My husband has one and if I use my car, we put it on my windshiled. But, since this new innovation, I will be seriously thinking about purchasing one for my vehicle. It is just so much more convenient.
Enjoy your day.
Mark1967

Coral Gables, FL

#20 Jul 1, 2008
there must be a way around sticking it on your windshield...can't you just place it on the dashboard?

doddy

Since: Apr 08

Fort Myers, FL

#21 Jul 1, 2008
No that everyone will have sunpass, don't you think it's time to add a few more sunpass only lanes. Golden Glades is a mess at rush hour going in both directions...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min RoxLo 1,534,962
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr ffj 314,323
News Principal of Deerfield Elementary reassigned pe... (Nov '06) 9 hr Lawknows 636
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jun '16) 19 hr Lucy 71
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 22 hr TRD 71,288
News Pit bull ban: Ban pit bulls - they don't belong... (Jun '09) Tue Love my pitties 1,039
CardioFlex Therapy joins Medicaid! Tue CardioFlex 1

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages