Man's arm severed in a 'freak' accide...

Man's arm severed in a 'freak' accident near Hillsboro Inlet

There are 157 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 20, 2008, titled Man's arm severed in a 'freak' accident near Hillsboro Inlet. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

A 22-year-old man's arm was severed in a personal watercraft accident Saturday near the Hillsboro Inlet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

barn

Lake Worth, FL

#101 Dec 21, 2008
disgusted wrote:
he was not drunk, he is not a redneck, he's not a tourist, and im so sick of reading about everyone's stupid assumptions.
he wasn't riding the tire with the rope around his arm. he was towing it in, a big wave came, he fell off, the rope tightened, and you know the rest...
this is a bright young kid, who has done a lot for this community from the time he was little. show some respect to your neighbor.

If he was bright he would 2 arm and if you were smart you would know it was tube not a tire..
BOO HOO

Hollywood, FL

#102 Dec 21, 2008
LOL. Now that is FUNNY
Average Joe

Orlando, FL

#103 Dec 21, 2008
Ah come on loser you got called out...no need to be a player hater.
BOO HOO wrote:
Joe
You are the typical tree hugger that has got this country in its current state. Maybe you should go out in the water and tie it around that tree hugging neck.
Anyone who ties a rope around a part of their body and wants to be pulled didn't get far in school.
Fine and Dandy

Oviedo, FL

#104 Dec 21, 2008
As an avid fisherman I absolutely despise Ski-Doos that zoom around my boat when I'm trying to catch a fish. That being said, as a father and a grandfather, no kid should have to endure such a tragic and life changing event that will forever handicap him. I doubt if this story will change the minds of these young idiots that charge around the lakes and rivers and inlets seeing how close they can come to boaters and swimmers. At their age, most of them feel they are absolutely bulletproof and invincible and that nothing can happen to them. Well this kid proved otherwise. It doesn't always happen to the guy down the street.
rubygoober

Dalton, GA

#105 Dec 21, 2008
Fine and Dandy wrote:
As an avid fisherman I absolutely despise Ski-Doos that zoom around my boat when I'm trying to catch a fish. That being said, as a father and a grandfather, no kid should have to endure such a tragic and life changing event that will forever handicap him. I doubt if this story will change the minds of these young idiots that charge around the lakes and rivers and inlets seeing how close they can come to boaters and swimmers. At their age, most of them feel they are absolutely bulletproof and invincible and that nothing can happen to them. Well this kid proved otherwise. It doesn't always happen to the guy down the street.
You're absolutely right! As a native of Florida I think PWC are a blight on the waterways PERIOD!!!
Wish the damn things had never been invented.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#106 Dec 21, 2008
Fine and Dandy wrote:
Yah. I'm a kayaker, and the utter boorishness of many of these PWC drivers is deplorable. I have frequently called down doom on 'em. That being said, I would not have actually wished this on even them.
You're right, though: any learning here will be confined to those involved.
My name is Coco

Woodstock, GA

#107 Dec 21, 2008
Ewww wrote:
Ok, I read this story and it sounds absolutely horrible and I feel terrible for that young man. That being said, my husband and son were out on their boat yesterday and came home with an innertube that they said was just floating in the ocean near Deerfield Beach. They said, "perfectly good innertube, let's take it home." This article makes no mention of the man's innertube being found, so we have to wonder...
The inner-tube is cursed, everyone who finds it has sever bad luck. I hope you did NOT bring it inside your house or garage. if you think I am kidding look up "demon inner-tube" on the Internet. It will tell of the misfortune that fell upon other people who found the very same inner-tube you now possess!
soggy wet left arm

United States

#108 Dec 21, 2008
Icarus wrote:
I was working in the ER and a 3 y/o was brought in who was crushed by a PWC. After some research I found out that PWC's are virtually unregulated. My friend who is a boater relates stories almost on a daily basis of PWC's harassing and not following any of the "rules of the road" I'm not saying this was the case but it sure sounds like someone was not following good sense!
help! i'll miss playing with his baby carrot.
Fact Check

United States

#109 Dec 21, 2008
disgusted wrote:
he was not drunk, he is not a redneck, he's not a tourist, and im so sick of reading about everyone's stupid assumptions.
he wasn't riding the tire with the rope around his arm. he was towing it in, a big wave came, he fell off, the rope tightened, and you know the rest...
this is a bright young kid, who has done a lot for this community from the time he was little. show some respect to your neighbor.
Please prove your claim. Please provide specific details. Thank you.
disgusted

Powder Springs, GA

#110 Dec 21, 2008
barn wrote:
<quoted text>
If he was bright he would 2 arm and if you were smart you would know it was tube not a tire..
barn,

excuse me for my typo, my friend lost an arm yesterday and assholes like you are upsetting me. obviously he made a mistake. they were headed back to shore, he was trying to bring the tube in, the rope was very long, and he made the mistake of wrapping it around his arm instead of holding it. young guys make mistakes, this is one he'll have to suffer with the rest of his life. Disgusting human beings like you only make it worse.

this kid has done so much good for people less fortunate than him, he's always so positive and happy, and he spreads that happiness to others. your negativity is so inappropriate. but what goes around comes around, so im sure you'll get yours in the end
mmmmmnnnnnn

Boynton Beach, FL

#111 Dec 21, 2008
police wrote:
at least he'll never commit and armed robbery.
Your comment is so wrong what if u had 1 arm.U wannabe police officer and if u r 1 then u should be fired for that statement.
Average Joe

Orlando, FL

#112 Dec 21, 2008
Dont sweat it you are dealing with lifes losers. Happy people do not go on the internet and ridicule others misfortunes. Complete failures in life do that.
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
barn,
excuse me for my typo, my friend lost an arm yesterday and assholes like you are upsetting me. obviously he made a mistake. they were headed back to shore, he was trying to bring the tube in, the rope was very long, and he made the mistake of wrapping it around his arm instead of holding it. young guys make mistakes, this is one he'll have to suffer with the rest of his life. Disgusting human beings like you only make it worse.
this kid has done so much good for people less fortunate than him, he's always so positive and happy, and he spreads that happiness to others. your negativity is so inappropriate. but what goes around comes around, so im sure you'll get yours in the end
jay from north carolina

Clemmons, NC

#113 Dec 21, 2008
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
barn,
Wasnt it a little cold in that water to be tubing? after all its late december?

The Borderland of Sol

#114 Dec 21, 2008
jay from north carolina wrote:
<quoted text>Wasnt it a little cold in that water to be tubing? after all its late december?
Nah. Water temps are in the mid-70s.

The Borderland of Sol

#115 Dec 21, 2008
mmmmmnnnnnn wrote:
<quoted text>Your comment is so wrong what if u had 1 arm.U wannabe police officer and if u r 1 then u should be fired for that statement.
Good grief, was that supposed to be intelligible?
COAST GUARD

United States

#116 Dec 21, 2008
THE ROPE HE WAS USING WAS 20LB TEST FISHING LINE. THAT MIGHT EXPLAIN HIS INJURIES. THANKS.
BOO HOO

Hollywood, FL

#117 Dec 21, 2008
Average Joe wrote:
Ah come on loser you got called out...no need to be a player hater.
<quoted text>
Yea...OK JOE
BOO HOO

Hollywood, FL

#118 Dec 21, 2008
COAST GUARD wrote:
THE ROPE HE WAS USING WAS 20LB TEST FISHING LINE. THAT MIGHT EXPLAIN HIS INJURIES. THANKS.
LOL. Yes that would. Sounds like the Cuban version of rope or Trailer Trash.
disgusted

Powder Springs, GA

#119 Dec 21, 2008
Average Joe wrote:
Dont sweat it you are dealing with lifes losers. Happy people do not go on the internet and ridicule others misfortunes. Complete failures in life do that.
<quoted text>
you are very right...
Sarah

Clermont, FL

#121 Dec 21, 2008
Concerned One wrote:
Another tragedy caused by automobiles....er....um ...gasoline powered vehicles?? viv la bicycle!! lol
This is a poser. The real Concerned One always capitalizes AUTO VEHICLES.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Politico Incorrecto 1,761,872
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 22 min Susanm 341,031
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr FARTS BLAKE 64,679
News Trump's plan will seek to 'harden' schools agai... 5 hr INFIDEL 1,544
girls how many family members have you had sex ... (Dec '15) 5 hr Mick 46
News Parkland Student Emma Gonzalez Says 'Go Join th... 8 hr Tyrone 3
News Broward Sheriff's Office looks for motive in Co... (Nov '08) 11 hr oneillb67 26

Pompano Beach Jobs

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages