Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likel...

Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abducted, police say

There are 98380 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 12, 2009, titled Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abducted, police say. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

"They're doing as well as can be expected," Duckett told the Orlando Sentinel this morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96384 Sep 20, 2013
No sweetie, Brian & Caroline didn't come this week after all. I wish they could come down tonight for the week-end, only Brian would have to stay over and Amanda (g/f) would have to come back and get Caroline by Sunday night so that she doesn't miss school, then come back and get Brian later in the week. They live 65 miles north of me and that would be three trips back and forth for Amanda.

He has been driving around on an expired driver's license, which worries the HELL outta me, but since we want him to get his license renewed using my/our home address, next week would be best to accommodate the DMV open hours and my checkbook. I will just be GLAD to get it over with!

You can get arrested down here on the spot if you are caught driving without a valid driver's license. THEN your ass sits in the slammer. For this, I hold my breath every day. Not only THAT, he is driving Amandas' BMW and she doesn't even know that he does not have a valid DL! God help him (AND her!) if he were to wreck that car.

Vic is right, there is something about the youngest son that leans heavily on you. The last words my husband spoke to me before he passed on,(1/15/89) was: "Anne, take care of Brian". That was nearly 25 years ago and I didn't know he meant the rest of my stupid life.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96386 Sep 20, 2013
Sami wrote:
Awe, Annie, your plans for your table sound awesome, just beautiful. I luv the idea of a garden of sorts for the top of the table and diff. colored chairs. Seriously, you should do this. I can picture say a blue, red, yellow and green chair. When you start feeling better 7 I know you will you should do this. It will make you happy as you're painting it and make you even happier with your end results.:)
There you go again making me lmbo with your description of Granny Sykes. I do agree, I have many overweight friends and they dress lovely. There's no reason for someone to dress like a slob especially when in the darn media. You can buy a nice summer casual dress for cheap and a decent blouse for peat sakes. I still can't get over seeing her on in her home on that chair, yikes....lol
OMG! That was the very picture I had in mind of her; plopped all over that damned chair! That, and waddling her fat cellulite ass down the street in those horrible knits and flip-flops going towards the courthouse. Jeezel Pete! I can still see it.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96387 Sep 20, 2013
Vic wrote:
Good Morning,
Your table will be beautiful. I knew you were a renassiance woman. When you get your strength back you'll be painting again. I spray painted some wicker furniture this summer. I'd never used a sprayer before but it sure looked easy on tv and it turned out it was easy to paint. THe problem was I had goggles on, a breathing mask, covered from head to toe and the sun was baking down on me,little by little, I started peeling off clothes,by the end I was as green apple as the furniture. Furniture looks wonderful and for I know a month finding green spots on my skin.LOL
Thank you Vic. I have envisioned it in my mind many times. I first saw this affect on a coffee table in a home I toured for listing, that was painted by one of the lessies who owned the home. What talent! It was absolutely breathtaking. Yep, one of these days I'm gonna git 'er done! Then my two sons can decide which one uv 'em is gonna git it in the end and if they can't then they'll have to let it go to Sweet Caroline.

I do have in mind the colors Sami suggested above for the chairs, but I also love lime green and different shades of lavender and purple, which I'm sure I will use in the paintings on the top. I'll just have to wait and see what colors my new decorating scheme goes towards and then decide. I may use some lime green, with shades of lavender/purple and yellow in my next house but shades of blue and reds can also be blended into these colors, particularly on the table top and then carry it onto the chairs and/or table legs and underneath the table.

I spray painted my wicker too once Vic,(all white) but didn't have the forethought to use the sprayer. What did I do? A stupid thing. I used probably 20 cans of spray paint! Then a few years later I sold it all at my yard sale before we left Boca, for more than I paid for it in the first place.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96388 Sep 20, 2013
I use to always forget to renew my license too & one time the lady at the SofS made a comment about all these late ppl. I asked her if it's hurting her and that I do have to now pay a late charge. It was really none of her business imo. She should just do her job and STHU....lol

Oh, I thought of purple too Annie, whatever you decide it will be beautiful. Also, Vic & Annie, I spray pained my metal patio chairs black and yep, didn't realize it sprays on your skin. I got in the shower and really noticed it. I told my husband ppl will now think I'm part black or I'm real dirty....lol
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96389 Sep 20, 2013
Sami wrote:
Oh, Annie, I knew you were being nice & was trying to give them to my husband cuz you know how costly they are. You really are a sweetheart and that is very kind of you, however, you aren't working at the time either and it would be very costly to ship, probably as much as they cost. This is why I was trying to give you different suggests on how they may taste better. My husband adds banannas, apples, strawberries, etc. in his carnation breakfast drinks. He usually blends up fruit drinks every morn. & he'll add an ensure or carnation breakfast to it with milk or sometimes icecream or orange juice. Annie, I doubt at all that you should be worried about your weight. I like the fact that you're not losing a lot of weight. you silly girl you will never have granny sykes cellulite...lmbo.
All I bet you painted some lovely artwork. I hope you kept it all. Yes, the weather just beat these rocking chairs up and stain didn't seem to protect them so I painted them with white outdoor primer/paint. Ooops, you got yourself in a mess while staining ur deck. ITA, staining a deck is a pain. That darn stain isn't cheap either.
I hope you're having a good day today. When is your son & GD coming?
Sami, I just wanted to say that I wouldn't mind at all spending a little money on shipping if your husband needs these drinks. I would be MORE than glad to do it. If only you knew, I've done SO MUCH MORE than this little favor in my lifetime. You know, God DOES recompense us for what we do for someone else. He gives it all back, 10 x 10. If one wanted to look at it this way; I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to invest in helping someone else just based on THIS principle alone!

I do have it tight sometimes now, this is true, due to having to live on my fixed incomes and my ever increasing co-pays, etc.; that, and having primarily supported my son and g/d off and on for so many years; but I'm doing just fine, Sami. God DOES take care of me and my every need, and whatever I don't have, well, I didn't need it to begin with. Believe me, I'm not missing any meals even if I'm not flying high in real estate right now. But I don't ask much of God, he's already been too good to me. Just so you know, he does not mislead me. Ever. And I don't worry about it either; I just do what I know I'm supposed to do and everything else takes care of itself. And now you know!
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96390 Sep 20, 2013
Oh Annie, I just luv ya. You remind me of my family and myself. They always taught me to give too. In fact I still just gave donations to the veterans, cancer and children's organizations. Not much, but when they call me I just tell them to send it in the mail and I will do my best to at least give something even if it's $10. I even try to give a lil to the church, not anything close to what I use to, but a lil even though the church has asked to let them help us, I'm not one to do that. My husband doesn't like this & I don't give them to him to mail cuz I know he wouldn't. I fig. it's really not gonna make me or break me at this point. However, my inlaws have brought over cases of ensure for my husband they get it from cosco at a lower price. We have not renewed our membership with them this yr. Again, thank you so much for your offer, Annie, but as you know I would never let you do that. xxoo
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96391 Sep 20, 2013
Ha! I get you loud and clear on your response to the DMV person, Sami. I would have felt the same way. Anyhoo, what the hell difference does it make to her what she does during her 8-hr shift, she gets paid the same no matter how she spends her time. Dumbass.

But no dumber than me when I spray painted all that damned wicker. I was more concerned about covering the grass with plastic than I was about my OWN body. That paint drifted up into my nose, in my hair, all over my face and eyebrows, and could be the reason I have these lung and vocal cord problems to this very day. Not lung cancer, no, but on the vocal cords. The lungs, not so good now either but we won't go into that or somebody will come back and tell me I was too stupid to stop smoking. Well. At least I didn't drink which makes it far worse than just smoking.

Sami, it wasn't that Brian forgot to renew his license. He was a straight A driver with no points on his license. Then one day the electronic seatbelt gadget blew up in his face from the connection at the top where it comes across your body. He tried to fix it and couldn't, nor could we find anyone else to fix it or who could find the replacement part, so then we drove without the seatbelt fastened. He got stopped and ticketed for it, then forgot to pay it, then it doubled and then tripled.(It could have just as easily happened to me).

The last time he got stopped he got arrested for driving without his seatbelt fastened AND driving on a suspended license which he had NOT yet been notified that his license was suspended but showed up on the officers laptop as suspended. OMG, it cost my oldest son $1,000 to bail him out of jail and me $400 to pay the balance on the tickets and court costs. Meanwhile, I had the yardman cut the seatbelt off at the base and it fastens manually. NOW, several months later we are at this point and he has never had the money since to have his licenses reinstated.(Big fees are involved in this now). I have no choice but to do it myself otherwise it can (and will) become a far worse problem. He will pay me back someday, he always does when he can.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96393 Sep 20, 2013
Ugh, what a pain in the azz over something so small to begin with. Trust me I hear ya. Just like with our poor doggie. Why not just let me get my dog without the 100's in tics? It's all about $. My poor retired neighbor feels so bad about our dog and said she wishes she good get her out. I told her she couldn't. Her husband just passed last Oct. & she's having it hard enough. I swear those pos ppl better not even look my way when I take my daughter to the park & I will take her to the park soon. Ppl are evil 7 rotten. I could never do such a thing.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96394 Sep 20, 2013
Wow, my post just went poof & so did yours Annie.

Sadly my Aunt passed away. My brother & I are going to her service today. Sadly, my husband can't make it. She really was a wonderful woman and I'm glad I got to talk to her for over an hr. last Sat. She lives 2 hrs. away so I enjoyed our long conversations. She was my mothers sister and she will be missed.

Y'all have a great weekend & God Bless You!
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96396 Sep 20, 2013
Okay dear Sami, but the offer is open and will remain so for a long while. I understand your feelings. I do. You should reconsider though, Sami, and let that church help you and your husband if you need it, or just if it would make it easier on you. THIS is what Jesus TOLD them to do, NOT to build a bigger building, a new gymnasium or take a trip to the Holy Land.

I have given heavily to a few churches in times past, now not so easily gouged by the many who are out to swindle Gods' people. I base my beliefs on what Jesus told us to do; and that is, to help the sick, the widow, the orphan, the poor, and to turn no one away. My two sons believe the same way too. I have never known either of them to turn anyone away, not even a drunk on the street, nor will I.(You know, some drunks need a drink else they will die of DT's without it). Jesus didn't tell us to ask them if they are lying, drunk or stoned, he told us to feed them, to turn no one away. If they squander it, that is between Him and them as I did what I was told to do and there I let the matter rest. NOW, if I know someone is fleecing or trying to scam me, that's a whole other subject, and good luck with that!

But my husband, not so much on the 'charity' end. I had to use all kinds of mannerisms just to pay for his daughters' wedding and many other times I thought it was in order for us to pick up the tab. He was tighter than a tick with everyone except for me or anything I wanted to do for the house (except that time I bought a bunch of paintings from a gallery, and that time I bought him a membership to a gymnastics club). He always wanted me to spend money on myself, saying I spend too much on others but never on myself. He tried to watch me like a hawk when it came to giving. A lotta good it did him, I did exactly as I pleased and kept my mouth shut when I had too, figuring I had to answer to GOD and not to him.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96397 Sep 20, 2013
Vic wrote:
Eye,
I've decided that to let my son find his next home and let him make his decisions for his family. I've done all I can as far as getting everything organized,so he can. I will be there to help with children but the rest, he's on his own. He's a hard worker a excellent father. I'm so proud of him but I cann't baby him anymore. Sami, Have a good weekend
I know what you're saying Vic. There's nothing y0u can do but help with the children and the dogs, since you DO love and care about them, and that right there is HUGE, not to mention the extra expense it places on you!

You can't know the many times I've had to let my youngest son dangle, and the fires I've had to put out; knowing exactly how it was all going to end, but there has only been so far and so long I could watch this in progress before I'd have to step in, take action and say,'okay, let's do this and that' and bring an end to his misery, pull him back up and get him going again. Nearly ALL of it has been due to the bad women he's brought into OUR lives. Not all, but a lot. My God, how different it would have all been if his dad had not died when he was only fifteen. You just don't even want to know.

My son too is a hard worker Vic, and a loving father to my precious G/D. But the messes he can make would overwhelm me if I let it. I just do what I have to do, always looking above, and keep moving forward. He is a professional photographer in Sarasota,(which I'VE PROBABLY SAID BEFORE), has a gaggle of groupie women and old arts matrons following him, does beautiful work and is fairly well known in the area, but does not have the foresight to manage his own life, not in the long haul.

I sometimes wonder if God has me here for him & Caroline, and to try to stay one step ahead of him until he gains some wisdom as I sure won't be able to do it from six feet under.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96399 Sep 20, 2013
Vic wrote:
Oh, Eye, it seems with our youngest they simply cannt't get a break. Son whole life revolved around his family and keeping family togerther. She moved out on their 10th ann. took off with boyfriend on a vacation Mother's Day week end, stopping by to tell son,kids what all she'd done,boat riding Day efore Father's Day,son gets served divorce papers. She went a got a cheapo lawyer, we were saving our money in order to get the best divorce lawyer around. After all this son refuses to harbo hate in his heart for her or anyone. He knows and has told her many times that she will be the one to answer for what she's done.
OMG Vic & Sami, I just saw what time it is and I haven't even started getting ready to go for my 2:00 o'clock treatment. OH SHYT. Will have to get back to you later.... xx00xx. BTW, feeling pretty good today!
PDX Dave

Portland, OR

#96401 Sep 20, 2013
I'm not directly in law enforcement, but several of my close friends are talking about subjects like this, even with a child (usually a girl) of that age, if she was abducted chances are that:
A) it was someone they know
B) they were taken for sexual purposes
C) the child will likely be killed
D) it will be months/years until the body is found
E) statistically, the purple will never be caught

The exception to that last one is, if they become a repeat offender with more kids. Then they tend to start making mistakes and leaving forensic evidence. Either that or one of the victims will escape and talk, which is why they are killed in the first place to keep them silent.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96403 Sep 20, 2013
Sami wrote:
Ugh, what a pain in the azz over something so small to begin with. Trust me I hear ya. Just like with our poor doggie. Why not just let me get my dog without the 100's in tics? It's all about $. My poor retired neighbor feels so bad about our dog and said she wishes she good get her out. I told her she couldn't. Her husband just passed last Oct. & she's having it hard enough. I swear those pos ppl better not even look my way when I take my daughter to the park & I will take her to the park soon. Ppl are evil 7 rotten. I could never do such a thing.
Neither could I do such a thing, Sami. Not in my wildest dreams. I will admit however, that I did call the cops once over two dogs that were left tied up and barking all day long all week long, while both parents went off to work for the day, week after week.

I didn't know the neighbors but had already gone over to their house a couple of times and told them how their dogs were whining and barking all day, and this was during a time (years ago) when I had constant migraine headaches. Dogs barking and my head literally pounding. I truly thought I would lose my ever lovin' mind.

Finally, I just had to have some quiet rest and called 911. I mean, seriously, I could not take it another minute. The cops went over there, saw and heard the dogs, and tagged their door, then later came back that evening with the dog paddy wagon and rounded them up. I guess the neighbors decided to just let the dogs go? I have no idea. That was the last I saw or heard of the dogs. Or the neighbors. They moved shortly thereafter.

But this is an entirely different situation with your dog. She was only going four doors right behind your house to play with another little dog. YES, this man is an evil POS. You be careful walking your daughter to the park, this POS b'stard wouldn't hesitate to file some hoaxed up charges against you! Don't even look his way if you can help yourself.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96404 Sep 21, 2013
PDX Dave wrote:
I'm not directly in law enforcement, but several of my close friends are talking about subjects like this, even with a child (usually a girl) of that age, if she was abducted chances are that:
A) it was someone they know
B) they were taken for sexual purposes
C) the child will likely be killed
D) it will be months/years until the body is found
E) statistically, the purple will never be caught
The exception to that last one is, if they become a repeat offender with more kids. Then they tend to start making mistakes and leaving forensic evidence. Either that or one of the victims will escape and talk, which is why they are killed in the first place to keep them silent.
Nice to meet ya, PDX Dave, thank you for posting the itemized purported statistics but we already know these things; however, in just reading your post, it is obvious that you have not followed this case from its' beginning. While some of the items you mentioned above could have happened to Sweet Haleigh Cummings,(and did) we are left with a great mystery not only as to exactly why, by whom, and how she was disposed of; but an even greater mystery is WHY would the PCSO cover up the death of this child?

It would take a mountain of posts to clue you in that there WAS/IS evidence that a LE cover up starting from BEFORE the 911 call at 3:27 a.m. existed the morning Haleigh went missing and continuing until now. WHAT their involvement was/is, is another mystery. If THAT mystery were solved, all of the other answers would fall into place. Maybe one day I'll find the time to clue you in.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96405 Sep 21, 2013
GM Vic, Annie & All!

Thanks Vic & Annie!

Welcome PDX Dave, IA from what we see concerning child abductions what you listed does apply more often then not. However, in this case, I don't believe there are other victims or will be other victims. IMO I do believe she is deceased & I do believe it is someone Haleigh knew & I suspect the Cummings and some of the Croslins know exactly who was involved, what happened and where they put poor Haleigh. Yes. it has been yrs. since she's been missing & I do believe one day the truth will come out and she will be found. There was just to much commotion going on that ngt. involving both families and too many lies and coverups.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96406 Sep 21, 2013
Have you guys seen the latest on Missing Erica's adopted loser parents? They're trying to sell their home that isn't even their home to sell. It's in the fil's name and they put a for sale sign up. They claim they put in a new AC, carpet, cabinets, well, etc. Who gives a rats azz? I don't know if the fil put it in his name for them or was renting to them, but they can't sell it. They put it on Craigslist too. Annie, I know you're an agent so get this. They included the ac in their home sale, then turned around and put a seperate ad for the sale of the AC too. These ppl are desperate for $ losers. I guess they can't handle living without the free $ they were collecting on Erica whom they didn't even have. IMO this should just be another fraud charge against them for trying to sell property that is not theirs to sell.
Sami

Jacksonville, AR

#96407 Sep 21, 2013
OT-UGH another case that sickens me is poor Cherish's. Don't know if you saw that, but imo, that pos mother should go to prison right along with the monster she handed her daughter over to. She can blame LE and say they didn't get there fast enough all they want, but it is she who allowed her 8 yr. old daughter to walk off with a complete stranger for the promise of a cheeseburger. It is she who put her three children in this strangers van and drove with him from the thrift shop to walmarts for the promise of a friggen $100 gift card for clothes, etc. It is she who even allowed this pedo to go into the fitting rm. with her 8 yr. old daughter. She also should be charged as an accomplice for handing her poor, innocent, daughter off to be molested and murdered. Our children trust us to love, protect and nurture them. We're the ones who they rely on to make wise decisions concerning their well being & safety. This pos mother can go straight to he--. I feel not one bit of sympathy for her.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96410 Sep 21, 2013
Vic wrote:
Pure evil struck my litte town yesterday. Early yesterday morning a couple that owned local pawn shop were murdered along with a customer. Couple's eleven year old witnessed his parents death and called 911. THe perp took one hundred dollars and is still on the run. Our community is stunned and heart broken. Couple were very involved with the Christian Youth Program and had just started their own youth program. What's this ole world coming too.
Oh damn, Vic! That sure is a tragic nightmare. What a very sad thing. Three people killed for a mere $100 bucks.(You mean to say on his way out the killer didn't even grab what he could from the display counters)? Usually these little small town pawn shops don't have a lot of assets in the first place and these are people just trying to make a living. Did you know them?

I hope the murderer is caught real soon so that no more people are robbed and murdered by him. My God, the poor little boy watching it all. I can't imagine, how could he ever EVER get over such horror as this? Does the little boy have other family to care for him? We just never know from one minute to the next what lies in store for any of us.
EyeOfTheNewt

Cape Coral, FL

#96411 Sep 21, 2013
Sami wrote:
Have you guys seen the latest on Missing Erica's adopted loser parents? They're trying to sell their home that isn't even their home to sell. It's in the fil's name and they put a for sale sign up. They claim they put in a new AC, carpet, cabinets, well, etc. Who gives a rats azz? I don't know if the fil put it in his name for them or was renting to them, but they can't sell it. They put it on Craigslist too. Annie, I know you're an agent so get this. They included the ac in their home sale, then turned around and put a seperate ad for the sale of the AC too. These ppl are desperate for $ losers. I guess they can't handle living without the free $ they were collecting on Erica whom they didn't even have. IMO this should just be another fraud charge against them for trying to sell property that is not theirs to sell.
I have been trying to get back here all day Sami; it was just one of those days when I went on shut-down. Couldn't do much but lie around and nap off and on. Kept trying all day to get my butt in gear but never did. I did dash off a post to you early this morning, telling you how sorry I was to hear about you losing your aunt, but four times it wouldn't go through so I gave up and called it a day.

I am SOO sorry Sami; I've lost aunts (and an uncle too) that I was very close too and I know how much this hurts. As time goes by, we realize it even more how much they meant to us. Cherished loved ones, and as we get older they become even more cherished; we remember and it's like a milestone passed in our lives the day we lost them, never to be recaptured.

You and family have my deepest sympathy, hon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pompano Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr UidiotRaceMakeWOR... 1,520,286
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Susanm 313,916
Review: I Love Kickboxing (Jun '16) 12 hr Mo darwish 67
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 15 hr Lavon affair 71,283
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 18 hr Patty Myers 8,138
News The number of daily opioid overdoses in South F... Thu casa b 1
News Dania Beach opts for silence to avoid devil prayer (Oct '15) Apr 20 Vivek Golikeri 2

Pompano Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pompano Beach Mortgages