Fender bender ends in Oakland Park shooting death

Jul 3, 2008 | Posted by: South Florida Sun-Sentinel | Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

An argument between two men angry over a minor car accident ended Thursday morning when one of the men fatally shot the other, authorities said.

David Figueroa, 28, of Lauderdale Lakes, died en route to Broward General Medical Center, the Broward Sheriff's Office said.

The man accused of shooting him, Thomas Thompson, 50, of Fort Lauderdale, was questioned by investigators but not arrested. The State Attorney's Office is reviewing the incident.

Authorities believe Thompson shot Figueroa after he pummeled Thompson and chased him to his van.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of47
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Erenia Mayorga

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Why is it that the guy who MURDERED David has so many charges and has never been convicted?? People like to jugde other peolple but they dont really know what really happened. They didn;t know david He was a great person. At least to me he was an angel. And he will be missed dearly...:-(
Erenia Mayorga
Doctor Doctor

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Judged:

That was how thieves used to work in South Florida, rear-end you and then rob you. Now, folks have a gun to protect themselves from attackers. I bet that will not be happening again anytime soon.

I sure hope they give this guy a medal. It was the midle of the street, the guy slams into your car, then starts slamming into you, he must have been on PCP or something...
Erenia Mayorga

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Say what ever it is u want to say i dont give a s!@$!!!! All your letting me and everyone that reads this know is that you would do the same. And that is not right... And to answer your question no David was not on PCP or something.... And who are you GOD to say something???? Let me know I have questions for u too........ I think we should stop talking all this smack this is a hard time for the people who knew him.

Since: May 07

<<<<--the right to bare

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Judged:

Why does this slanted paper fail to mention the laundry list of crimes this dirtbag David Figueroa had including multiple assaults including one on a police officer?

Mr. Thompson did the citizens of Broward a favor by taking out this trash before he attacked your mother or sister.

Here is a quick review of the law here in FL for all you potential menaces to society who think you can attack and beat the victim of your poor driving skills into silence. Remember it the next time you jump out all big and bad, most of are armed and will not stand for this sort of thing. If you want to act like this go back to New Yark with the rest of the dirtbags.

The Florida law is a self-defense, self-protection law. It has four key components:

It establishes that law-abiding residents and visitors may legally presume the threat of bodily harm or death from anyone who breaks into a residence or occupied vehicle and may use defensive force, including deadly force, against the intruder.

In any other place where a person “has a right to be,” that person has “no duty to retreat” if attacked and may “meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.”

In either case, a person using any force permitted by the law is immune from criminal prosecution or civil action and cannot be arrested unless a law enforcement agency determines there is probable cause that the force used was unlawful.

If a civil action is brought and the court finds the defendant to be immune based on the parameters of the law, the defendant will be awarded all costs of defense.

Remember it and let this be a lesson to you to call the police and don't attack the victim or you will be the next one fertilizing our palm trees and feeding our worms.

<<<<--the right to bare

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Judged:

Doctor Doctor wrote:
That was how thieves used to work in South Florida, rear-end you and then rob you. Now, folks have a gun to protect themselves from attackers. I bet that will not be happening again anytime soon.
I sure hope they give this guy a medal. It was the midle of the street, the guy slams into your car, then starts slamming into you, he must have been on PCP or something...
I agree, this probably was a robbery attempt. I am just glad the victim won this time, that is usually not the case.
Jerry G LIVES

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Maybe David should have thought about his actions first before deciding to physically attack the person whose car he rear ended.

See what Erenia is trying to do is justify Davids action of committing a crime of violence against someone else.

It doesn't matter one bit that the other guy had previous cocaine charges close to 10 years ago. All that matters is that David rear ended someone and instead of having a shred of self control and taking responsibility for an accident he caused, he decided to get out of the car and start beating on the other guy.

David had no right to start beating on the guy for his own carelessness.

There are repercussions for everything you do, Its how you handle a situation that matters. David chose to handle a situation he put himself into in a violent manner, and we all know that violence begets violence.
Erenia Mayorga

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

lol i see that you have nothing to do and all i'm doing is feeding into this... I'm not God to judge n/e one and no i'm not justifying anything i'm sorry... i just hate when people like GOD Warrior (what a name)make comments like the one he is making. No David was not right by (so called attacking) the man and yes it was an accident but we were not there and no one knows what happened. Why can't things be left up to god... Personally me i dont agree with him shooting David thats all,if he would of kick the s!@# out of David and he would STILL been alive than thats a different story. No but Mr. Thompson Killed him. There was a life lost in this and look at what we are doing writting NASTY HASTY comments about someone thats not here or will ever be here again to defend himself.

All i'm saying is that i knew David personally and he wasn't a bad guy like everyone puts him out to be. I loved him very dearly and will miss him. Put urselfs in my shoes i think if u were to loose someone that you really loved and they die which ever way it is you would be a little bothered.

To GODS WARRIOR dont take things so personal you making your problem when its really not. If you do read the Bible it does say not to pass judgment on anyone... So do us all a favor and go to another website... You do know theres better things to do than talk smack...
Tony Kurtis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Known of us is perfect therefore we shouldn't judge anyone this was a very said thing for me to hear i use to be signed to the same lable as "David" and he was a young kid trying to fine his way all he really wanted was the love from people music kept him in a good place because he loved making people happy. I don't know what happend on July 3rd but i do know that a child lost a father a women lost a man we as a people lost a bro and i lost a friend.
If you beat me up i will heal but if you kill me i can't come back so even if i was wrong i'll never get to say "I Apologize" to you
It is truly sad that we live in a world where people don't value life at all.
Tony Kurtis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Known of us is perfect therefore we shouldn't judge anyone this was a very sad thing for me to hear i use to be signed to the same lable as "David" and he was a young kid trying to fine his way all he really wanted was the love from people music kept him in a good place because he loved making people happy. I don't know what happend on July 3rd but i do know that a child lost a father a women lost a man we as a people lost a bro and i lost a friend.
If you beat me up i will heal but if you kill me i can't come back so even if i was wrong i'll never get to say "I Apologize" to you
Roger the Shrubber

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Erenia Mayorga wrote:
lol i see that you have nothing to do and all i'm doing is feeding into this... I'm not God to judge n/e one and no i'm not justifying anything i'm sorry... i just hate when people like GOD Warrior (what a name)make comments like the one he is making. No David was not right by (so called attacking) the man and yes it was an accident but we were not there and no one knows what happened. Why can't things be left up to god... Personally me i dont agree with him shooting David thats all,if he would of kick the s!@# out of David and he would STILL been alive than thats a different story. No but Mr. Thompson Killed him. There was a life lost in this and look at what we are doing writting NASTY HASTY comments about someone thats not here or will ever be here again to defend himself.
All i'm saying is that i knew David personally and he wasn't a bad guy like everyone puts him out to be. I loved him very dearly and will miss him. Put urselfs in my shoes i think if u were to loose someone that you really loved and they die which ever way it is you would be a little bothered.
To GODS WARRIOR dont take things so personal you making your problem when its really not. If you do read the Bible it does say not to pass judgment on anyone... So do us all a favor and go to another website... You do know theres better things to do than talk smack...
Your dirtbag buddy got dusted because he ATTACKED an innocent man. This innocent man defended himself, and thank God, he came out on top. What if it turned out the other way? What about this guy's family, friends and loved ones? This man was the true victim of the crime your pal committed. This was a justified shooting, and now your buddy's corpse is worm food.
Erenia Mayorga

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Roger the Shrubber wrote:
<quoted text>Your dirtbag buddy got dusted because he ATTACKED an innocent man. This innocent man defended himself, and thank God, he came out on top. What if it turned out the other way? What about this guy's family, friends and loved ones? This man was the true victim of the crime your pal committed. This was a justified shooting, and now your buddy's corpse is worm food.
Lol I’m done arguing with everyone… Think and say whatever it is that u want… It doesn’t matter my friend is not coming back… So anything after that doesn’t matter to me

<<<<--the right to bare

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Tony Kurtis wrote:
Known of us is perfect therefore we shouldn't judge anyone this was a very sad thing for me to hear i use to be signed to the same lable as "David" and he was a young kid trying to fine his way all he really wanted was the love from people music kept him in a good place because he loved making people happy. I don't know what happend on July 3rd but i do know that a child lost a father a women lost a man we as a people lost a bro and i lost a friend.
What is sad is we live in a world where some people think it is alright to attack someone in the street and potentially kill them as long as they say they are sorry.

The way I see it we lost one more criminal.
Jay n Ba

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

HEY VERSE REST IN PEACE, YOU ARE NOW IN A PLACE WHERE THE ONLY INDIVIDUAL JUDGUNG YOUR ACTIONS HAS THE RIGHT TO DO SO
Mick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Erenia Mayorga wrote:
Why is it that the guy who MURDERED David has so many charges and has never been convicted?? People like to jugde other peolple but they dont really know what really happened. They didn;t know david He was a great person. At least to me he was an angel. And he will be missed dearly...:-(
Erenia Mayorga
The shooter has 2 separate drug CONVICTIONS and each resulted in a one-year probation.
So much for only 'law abiding' citizens possessing CCW's.

<<<<--the right to bare

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Mick wrote:
<quoted text>
The shooter has 2 separate drug CONVICTIONS and each resulted in a one-year probation.
Neat how you fail to mention the long list of assualts this David character has.

Face it, Broward is better off now.

<<<<--the right to bare

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Actus non facit reum, nisi mens sit rea
Just the Truth

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Tony Kurtis wrote:
Known of us is perfect therefore we shouldn't judge anyone this was a very sad thing for me to hear i use to be signed to the same lable as "David" and he was a young kid trying to fine his way all he really wanted was the love from people music kept him in a good place because he loved making people happy.
And you really see nothing wrong with all of that coming out as one sentence, huh?

No wonder you were stuck with the same "lable" as David -- you're STUPID!
I don't know what happend on July 3rd but i do know that a child lost a father a women lost a man we as a people lost a bro and i lost a friend.
And an innocent man who was being attacked by an unknown threat, who feared for his own safety, defended himself in a way that the law, and morality, allow.
Let's say the assailant beats up his victim and TAKES OUT AN EYE. What good will an APOLOGY do for him? What if he works as a pilot, or a professional driver? Or as an athlete? He needs his eyes. What if the beating causes brain damage, and memory loss, and the victim is a mathematician or scientist? What if the beating causes nerve damage to the hand, and the victim is a surgeon?

You have a lot of nerve arguing for the VICTIM of a CRIMINAL ATTACK to TAKE IT EASY ON HIS ASSAILANT.
You must be referring to David, who thought it was OK to try to cause physical harm to an innocent victim.
Just the Truth

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Mick wrote:
<quoted text>
DOES he or does he NOT have a disqualifying FELONY CONVICTION?

Oh, he doesn't?

Then SHUT UP.
Crusader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Mick wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said the shooter had a CCW?? The shooter is NOT required to have a CCW to have a gun is his vehicle.
Crusader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2008

Just re-read the story...I see now. Coke convictions do not have anything to do with CCW anyhow.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of47
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••