Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
32,021 - 32,040 of 46,238 Comments Last updated 24 min ago
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a fact that you are a short, bald, albino hunchback with 6 toes on each foot. I can say anything I want as fact. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. So that makes it true.
You came up with the accusation that AGW was a fraud and that the scientists were getting rich off it. The burden of proof is on you to back that up.
But, really, you have answered the question. You failed to produce any evidence for your statement.
And as you say I can say anything I want as fact. Do you think your one of those cut above all? And you really really answered the question you are a mental midget with no burden of proof other than cut and paste scientific science fiction useless babble. Now put on your big boy, girl pants and do show your entire peer reviewed published work.
Just curious are you one of those ambulance chasing lawyers?
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>And as you say I can say anything I want as fact. Do you think your one of those cut above all? And you really really answered the question you are a mental midget with no burden of proof other than cut and paste scientific science fiction useless babble. Now put on your big boy, girl pants and do show your entire peer reviewed published work.
Just curious are you one of those ambulance chasing lawyers?
Peer reviewed science fiction involved the theory of humans with 6 toes. His peers involved in the experiment, how many of them had 6 toes?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/...

gives a short summary relevant to the topic. If you don't agree, what happened to your intuition or research abilities? Well, you never had those.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

No videos!
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

An example of large lies by "large lying language":

The artic(sic--similar to 'tiny-minded anne') only loses ice because or the plates moving and shifting the ice away probably. And I'm sure the Ice would return. And the animals walking across the ice wear it out anyway.

'large lying language' would be funny, except it is also a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

large lying language wrote:
No videos!
Correction:
'large lying language' meant to say: No cartoons!

The following is no cartoon, but it is real video...... with lots of exclamations!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2...
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

LOST!
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Forgot to add in my last post:

'large lying language' would be funny(even without cartoons), except it is also a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
The artic [SIC] only loses ice because or the plates moving and shifting the ice away probably. And I'm sure the Ice would return. And the animals walking across the ice wear it out anyway.
You may be large in language, but you are very, very, very small in scientific reasoning. Others have already pointed out your troglodytic prejudices.

"...the animals walking across the ice wear it out..."??? That's about the funniest thing I've ever seen here!

OK, so if polar bears (or whatever other animals you propose) have been walking across the ice pack for millenia, WHY DIDN'T THEY "WEAR IT OUT" BEFORE NOW? I mean, DUH!!! ROFLMAO!

And ice only melts because "the plates moving and shifting the ice away probably"??? That's the 2nd funniest thing I've seen here.

Moving & shifting cause melting? I'm LSHMSFOAIDMT! Yeah, temperature has NOTHING to do with it. Sure.

The only "probably" here is that your thought processes are composed of equine excrement.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be large in language, but you are very, very, very small in scientific reasoning. Others have already pointed out your troglodytic prejudices.
"...the animals walking across the ice wear it out..."??? That's about the funniest thing I've ever seen here!
OK, so if polar bears (or whatever other animals you propose) have been walking across the ice pack for millenia, WHY DIDN'T THEY "WEAR IT OUT" BEFORE NOW? I mean, DUH!!! ROFLMAO!
And ice only melts because "the plates moving and shifting the ice away probably"??? That's the 2nd funniest thing I've seen here.
Moving & shifting cause melting? I'm LSHMSFOAIDMT! Yeah, temperature has NOTHING to do with it. Sure.
The only "probably" here is that your thought processes are composed of equine excrement.
It used to be very cold, but the bears move slowely, so they make the ice more malleble overtime, it taken time to make it malleble to wearing out. And the earth is only 7'000 or 6'000 years old.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Friction takes away the cold. The Ice is what makes it cold, so the Ice wearing away makes it colder.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

//////////
'large lying language' lumped:
Friction takes away the cold. The Ice is what makes it cold, so the Ice wearing away makes it colder.
//////////
litesong wrote:
HomoSapiensLaptopicus ...... We can check off any intelligence found in 'large lying language'. It sluffs along in the footsteps of dirtling, alias 'earthling has no brain', & ' eart hling (alien with no affinity to Earth). Another toxic topix AGW denier linked biologically to 'large lying language' is 'phud fetid feces face fiend'. Other characteristics linking 'large lying language','phud fetid feces face fiend' & dirtling----yes, all are slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pigs & alleged & proud threateners.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
It used to be very cold, but the bears move slowely[SIC], so they make the ice more malleble [SIC] overtime[SIC],[SIC] it [SIC] taken time to make it malleble [SIC] to wearing [SIC] out. And the earth is only 7'000 or 6'000 years old [SIC].
Wow. You sure are good for belly laughs, large.

Let me explain something to you, though. This is a science forum. If you think the earth is only 6000 or 7000 years old, you need to be on a religion forum.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh???

More laughs, large. You've brightened my day.

Ice wearing away makes it colder? OK, so it should be getting colder in the Arctic because the ice is "wearing away," right? So why is all the permafrost melting (releasing more incredibly dangerous methane in the process)?

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/12...

Hmmm. I think maybe litesong has you completely figured out...

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
He told me he thinks the Earth is just 6000 years old. You're not going to get ANY science from this guy.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

..... you need to be on a religion forum.
Since 'large lying language','phud fetid feces face fiend', & 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' are slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pigs, they need to be on the kkk forum.
Don

Rockport, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

why is everyone still complaining about global warming when scientists figured out that it does not exist !!

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Don wrote:
why is everyone still complaining about global warming when scientists figured out that it does not exist !!
Care to try again?

Evidence: Climate change: How do we know?

The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is very likely human-induced and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented in the past 1,300 years.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. Studying these climate data collected over many years reveal the signals of a changing climate.
Certain facts about Earth's climate are not in dispute:

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many JPL-designed instruments, such as AIRS. Increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in solar output, in the Earth’s orbit, and in greenhouse gas levels. They also show that in the past, large changes in climate have happened very quickly, geologically-speaking: in tens of years, not in millions or even thousands.3
The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

• Sea level rise
Global sea level rose about 17 centimeters (6.7 inches) in the last century. The rate in the last decade, however, is nearly double that of the last century.4

• Global temperature rise
All three major global surface temperature reconstructions show that Earth has warmed since 1880.5 Most of this warming has occurred since the 1970s, with the 20 warmest years having occurred since 1981 and with all 10 of the warmest years occurring in the past 12 years.6 Even though the 2000s witnessed a solar output decline resulting in an unusually deep solar minimum in 2007-2009, surface temperatures continue to increase.7

• Warming oceans
The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969.8

• Shrinking ice sheets
The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost 150 to 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year between 2002 and 2006, while Antarctica lost about 152 cubic kilometers (36 cubic miles) of ice between 2002 and 2005.

• Declining Arctic sea ice
Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.9

• Glacial retreat
Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.

• Extreme events
The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950.

• Ocean acidification
Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent.12,13 This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.14,15

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

**Organizations that say AGW is a FACT**
U.S. Agency for International Development
United States Department of Agriculture
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
National Institute of Standards and Technology
United States Department of Defense
United States Department of Energy
National Institutes of Health
United States Department of State
United States Department of Transportation
U.S. Geological Survey
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
National Center for Atmospheric Research
National Aeronautics & Space Administration
National Science Foundation
Smithsonian Institution
International Arctic Science Committee
Arctic Council
African Academy of Sciences
Australian Academy of Sciences
Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Sciences
and the Arts
Academia Brasileira de Ciéncias
Cameroon Academy of Sciences
Royal Society of Canada
Caribbean Academy of Sciences
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Académie des Sciences, France
Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences
Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina
of Germany
Indonesian Academy of Sciences
Royal Irish Academy
Accademia nazionale delle scienze of Italy
Indian National Science Academy
Science Council of Japan
Kenya National Academy of Sciences
Madagascar's National Academy of Arts,
Letters and Sciences
Academy of Sciences Malaysia
Academia Mexicana de Ciencias
Nigerian Academy of Sciences
Royal Society of New Zealand
Polish Academy of Sciences
Russian Academy of Sciences
l'Académie des Sciences et Techniques
du Sénégal
Academy of Science of South Africa
Sudan Academy of Sciences
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
Tanzania Academy of Sciences
Turkish Academy of Sciences
Uganda National Academy of Sciences
The Royal Society of the United Kingdom
National Academy of Sciences, United States
Zambia Academy of Sciences
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Association for the Advancement
of Science
American Association of Wildlife Veterinarians
American Astronomical Society
American Chemical Society
American College of Preventive Medicine
American Geophysical Union
American Institute of Physics
American Medical Association
American Meteorological Society
American Physical Society
American Public Health Association
American Quaternary Association
American Institute of Biological Sciences
American Society of Agronomy
American Society for Microbiology
American Society of Plant Biologists
American Statistical Association
Association of Ecosystem Research Centers
Botanical Society of America
Crop Science Society of America
Ecological Society of America
Federation of American Scientists
Geological Society of America
National Association of Geoscience Teachers
Natural Science Collections Alliance
Organization of Biological Field Stations
Society of American Foresters
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Society of Systematic Biologists
Soil Science Society of America
Australian Medical Association
Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
Engineers Australia
Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies
Geological Society of Australia
British Antarctic Survey
Institute of Biology, UK
Royal Meteorological Society, UK
Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences
Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
European Federation of Geologists
European Geosciences Union
European Physical Society
European Science Foundation
International Association for Great Lakes Research
International Union for Quaternary Research
International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
World Federation of Public Health Associations
World Health Organization
World Meteorological Organization

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

**Organizations that say AGW is a FRAUD**

American Petroleum Institute
US Chamber of Commerce
National Association of Manufacturers
Competitive Enterprise Institute
Industrial Minerals Association
National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Great Northern Project Development
Rosebud Mining
Massey Energy
Alpha Natural Resources
Southeastern Legal Foundation
Georgia Agribusiness Council
Georgia Motor Trucking Association
Corn Refiners Association
National Association of Home Builders
National Oilseed Processors Association
National Petrochemical and Refiners Association
Western States Petroleum Association
National Agnotology Producers Association
The Astroturfing Consortium

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/01/global-w...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Pompano Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pompano Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pompano Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pompano Beach