Suspect killed in Pomona police shooting

Full story: KABC LA

Authorities said the shooting happened on the 900 block of West Holt Avenue at about 8:30 a.m. It was unclear what sparked the shooting.
Comments
1 - 20 of 93 Comments Last updated Feb 9, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
concerned

Claremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2011

DID SUSPECT HAVE A GUN? NOT MUCH INFO.WAS ANYONE INVOLVED? Peace officers are not hurt. its a good thing. but what about the other side?
justice must be served

Roseland, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2011

Judged:

no the victim did not have a gun. The officers acted unlawful and not much is being told in the media. They know they are wrong so they are trying to hide the story. But Andy has alot of people on his side and we will make sure justice is served for this young man that did not need to go out this way. He was such a great loving man with so much happiness and these corrupt officers took him away from all his loved ones.
One eyed Pete

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2011

If you fight the cops and dont listen you are gambling with your own life. He took a gamble and lost. Good job PPD!
DISAPPOINTED

Fountain Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2011

One eyed Pete wrote:
If you fight the cops and dont listen you are gambling with your own life. He took a gamble and lost. Good job PPD!
----------
@ONE EYED PETE...Using Lethal Force against an un-armed person should be your last resort. Officers are trained for exactly these types of situations, shooting an un-armed person whom just a few months ago filed a complaint against you for brutality seems more like retaliation than self-defense... use ALL NON-LETHAL OPTIONS afforded to you by your department before taking a life, an un-armed life.
One eyed Pete

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2011

DISAPPOINTED wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
@ONE EYED PETE...Using Lethal Force against an un-armed person should be your last resort. Officers are trained for exactly these types of situations, shooting an un-armed person whom just a few months ago filed a complaint against you for brutality seems more like retaliation than self-defense... use ALL NON-LETHAL OPTIONS afforded to you by your department before taking a life, an un-armed life.
Sounds like you know more than the rest of us? How do you know he wasnt armed? You also claim that he had filed a complaint against the officers or department. Please share with the rest of us how you know or claim to know this information. I just have trust in our officers in the community that I live in. Fortunately, I dont jump to conclusions and accuse the men and women who protect me of such behavior. I am proud of those who protect us!!
justice must be served

Roseland, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2011

I know he was not armed because I know him and his family, i also know about his complaint he served to the ppd.. so please show some respect for the family and keep cruel opinions to yourself. Sadly not our officers are loyal and trustworthy.
One eyed Pete

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2011

Oh I'm sure he was a real angel of a man. His family must be real proud. Again, Kudo's to the cops for keeping us safe!
DISAPPOINTED

Fountain Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2011

Judged:

One eyed Pete wrote:
Oh I'm sure he was a real angel of a man. His family must be real proud. Again, Kudo's to the cops for keeping us safe!
----------
@oneeyedpete- I, just like you, usually side with our Law Enforcement Officers. Keep in mind that a Police spokeswoman has already stated that the subject was UNARMED. In case you've missed any of this, search KTLA, ABC7, any news agency for that matter. I myself am not stating or claiming that anyone is or was an angel in life... frankly, what really matters at this point is wether or not Lethal force was necessary. In order for me to feel pride and to feel right in my support for our officers, I want to know for sure that our Law enforcement men and women are performing their duties and assignments justly and appropriately... just like a proffessional Law Enforcement officer should. In order for ANYONE to take someone's life, you better be sure that your actions are justified. There's a reason why all police shootings are investigated, and that's to ensure that the human being behind the gun, a police officer, was within his rights, in imminent danger, and within his department's and the Law's guidelines on use of lethal force. Remember, a perfect example of what can happen when human beings act wrecklessly just happened not too long ago: Fullerton officers now in jail for murder were intially believed by a lot of people to have performed their duties within the letter of the law. After their investigation was completed, the outcome was very different. They are now sitting in jail. I myself would simply like for this incident to be investigated honestly and thoroughly, to have all facts surrounding this incident to be brought to light, and for the blame in this incident to be placed with whom is really at fault... wether it be the shooting victim or the officer(s) firing the lethal shot(s). As for the statement I made regarding the prior incident where the shooting victim had been injured and beaten in july of this year by possibly the same officer involved in this shooting, all that will come to light and for you and the rest of the public to hear or read about as the investigation into this incident continues. Just in case you're wondering, YES, I personally saw the injuries, bruises, and damage that this person sustained in the july incident.
One eyed Pete

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2011

The only one jumping to conclisions here is you. If its an investigation you are worried about, of course it will happen. You are the one who is implying that the police in Pomona acted at those in the Fullerton incident. You are the one inplying that the "July" incident was a "beating". Was that incident investigated? What was the outcome? Maybe this suspect was a real bad guy and faught the police. Can that be possible? Was he on drugs? Or wanted for anything? You imply that the cops just beat and shoot someone for no reason. I highly doubt that. I'd be willing to bet that this guy was an a**hole who didnt listen to the cops and did something stupid to cause his own fate. I hope we learn the facts soon.
DISAPPOINTED

Fountain Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2011

@OneEyedPete- I don't believe I've jumped to ANY conclusions up to this point... If I have, please quote me on any part of my statements where I have concluded that Pomona Police is at fault. As far as Investigations go, I'm not worried about one, I am simply hopeful that an impartial, unbiased investigation be performed. I'm pleased to learn that the District Attorney's office has opened an investigation into this aside from the Pomona P.D. and the L.A.S.O. investigations currently underway. Now, let's make one thing very clear, I HAVE NOT IMPLIED THAT POMONA POLICE OFFICERS HAVE ACTED JUST AS THE FULLERTON OFFICERS DID. I simply referenced that incident as an example of what can happen when a police officer acts outside of the law. In regard to the july incident, wether that was a justified incident or not, the outcome is the same... the subject in that incident was beaten... the word "beaten" is defined in the dicitionary as follows:[BEAT-Verb,BEAT,BEAT-I NG,noun,adjective-verb(used with object)1.To strike violently or forcefully and repeatedly.] I don't know what the factual outcome of that investigation was or if it has been completed or concluded yet. Now, back to this incident... if the 'subject' in this incident,( I say that because in order for someone to be labeled a suspect, you have to be actually be suspected of a crime, which at the time that this shooting occured, he was not), fought with police on this occassion, then he should have been subdued in the same manner and using the same methods and techniques that were employed in the July incident. Basically, Non-Lethal aggression met with Non-Lethal Techniques. Simply put, A GUN TO DEFEND AGAINST THE THREAT OF A GUN...A BATON, A TASER, PEPPER-SPRAY, MACE, DEFENSIVE TRAINING, ETC. FOR ALL OTHER THREATS POSED TO AN OFFICER... LETHAL FORCE AS A LAST RESORT. To answer your question about wether or not he was under the influence of drugs, neither you, me, or the police will know that until the Coroner's office concludes their report and the Toxicology report is released. I also want to make things very clear for you, I have never stated or implied that Police or 'cops' "beat and shoot people for no reason", I did state the following in my previous post, "I myself would simply like for this incident to be investigated honestly and thoroughly, to have all facts surrounding this incident to be brought to light, and for the blame in this incident to be placed with whom is really at fault... WETHER IT BE THE SHOOTING VICTIM or THE OFFICER(s) FIRING THE LETHAL SHOT(s)." Basically Mr. Pete, if the officers are found to have been justified in this shooting, then good, more power to them... but, if their actions were not appropriate and the result was the unfortunate death of a person, then those at fault should have to answer for their actions. Again, WHOMEVER is at fault in this incident, wether the shooting victim or the officers, I simply hope that the truth will prevail and that justice will be served. One of two things will happen from this, either the officers will be found to have been justified and the suspect blamed for the events that transpired OR if the officers were involved in any wrong-doing, they will be held accountable for their mistake. Only time will tell.
One eyed Pete

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2011

Three things;
1) Thank you for addressing me ar "Mr".
2) You finally got it right in your second to last sentence refering to him as "suspect".
3) Yes, time will certainly tell.
DISAPPOINTED

Fountain Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2011

Just one question for you... why am I correct or right in refering to him as a 'suspect'?(Didn't realize I made that mistake, thank you for pointing that out). Do you know of anything that I haven't heard of that would accurately label him a 'suspect'? What was he suspected of or what IS he suspected of???
One eyed Pete

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2011

That I dont know. But I'm sure when we hear the facts of the case, we will find out together.
DISAPPOINTED

Fountain Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2011

fair enough.
Danjo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2011

Pete, it seems to me that with comments like " I'd be willing to bet that this guy was an a**hole who didnt listen to the cops and did something stupid to cause his own fate. " that YOU"RE the one jumping to conclusions. Do you suppose that there are no corrupt policemen? Do you thnk that they always act appropriately? Do you think that being an A-hole is grounds for being executed? Last time I checked, being an a-hole wasn't a capital offence. It's not supposed to come with the death penalty. Or are you saying that being an a-hole to the Pomona PD warrants death? Or perhaps "not being an angel" warrants being shot and killed by the police? How is it that someone "caused his own fate" when he was unarmed and certainly didn't shoot himself? Should this young man hve been killed even if he were being "violent" when he was unarmed? Was the victim some kind of highly trained Krav Maga commando that these poor officers were so scared of that they just had to shoot him? For not knowing this person, you certainly seem to assume a lot of things about him.

As to my personal opinoons about the police: I have nothing but respect for those that do their jobs properly. My grandfather was a policemen in Oklahoma for years before he retired, one of my uncles is a police officer in Atwater California, my martial arts instructor and friend is a retired invesitgator for the Orange County DA, I have a friend who is currently in the Fullerton PD, One of my great mentors in life was a Chief Master at Arms in the Navy (SP) and I myself was a police explorer 27 years ago for two years. All of that means that I have great respect for the good cops and a burning hatred and disgust for the corrupt and incompetent ones. I too am anxious for all the facts to come out, but I doubt whether you will be man enough to admit it if you are proven wrong in your assumptions.
Mari

Arcadia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2011

I just wanted to say to his family and friends that may be reading this. Not everyone in this world is quick to speak out of there a**. With that being said my heart goes out to his family. Its always difficult to loose a family member, a friend etc... We are all human and make mistakes. But whatever the case is. This man is in peace now and in a better place.
ricardo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2011

One eyed Pete wrote:
"One Eyed Pete" ur an idiot for commenting on something u don't know or understand.. really? If u fight thw cops u should get shot at cold blood? U stupid dumb fuck.. how about the full story dat the same cops beat him and brock his back on 4th of July!!! This goes deeper.. it's not over. Good job PPD?
ricardo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2011

One Eyed Pete... go back and read ur comments.. ur lame!!! My peeps.. Don't waist ur time with prejudice, brain dead fools... yeah, I said it "fool".. u go around sayn' "suspect" if ur so for the American Way.. we have rights & and you're innocent until proven guilty..
One eyed Pete

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Danjo wrote:
Do you think that being an A-hole is grounds for being executed?
"Executed"? Looks like you have jumped to your own conclusion.
DISAPPOINTED

Fountain Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Mr. Pete, rather than focusing and answering only ONE of the many questions posted to you in that thread, would you care to comment on any of the many others you seem to have skipped??? I'm being impartial on this matter, I'm respectfully interested in reading your take on the rest of it. I hope you will answer the rest just as you've answered the first.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Pomona News Video

•••
•••

Pomona Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pomona People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE