Western Christian Schools to continue acquisition of certain as...

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

An injunction to halt the sale of certain assets of Upland Christian Schools has been set aside.
Comments
1 - 20 of 2,049 Comments Last updated Jan 2, 2014
First Prev
of 103
Next Last
Heavy Hearted Parent

Brea, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 24, 2009
 
This entire story leaves me feeling tremendous sadness. How these "Christian" entities can operate on this level amazes me. All are professing to be doing God's work, yet will stab their fellow man in the back. Regardless of who started this and who finishes it, these parties involved should feel ashamed. From Pastor Kratz to Ray Doane. From all on the Anaheim Board to Karen Winters. From Greg Morse to the head of the Nazarene church. To allow this to continue, they all should be ashamed. This is a hostle takeover. Something we see in the cold corporate world. This should be catagorized with Enron, the Home Savings and Loan debotchery, and the current Bank CEO scandals. This is more of the same, GREED and done under the banner of the LORD. How utterly hypocritical, period. Congratulations, Ms. Winters you may now have your feast at the table of blastphemy along with Doane, Morse, and Kratz. I am sure alot of good "Christians" are lining up to enroll their kids in your schools. I for one am looking forward to registering my child in a school represented people that are vindictive and all too eager to advance their own vision one the backs of the innocent all in the name of God. Thank you for your leadership.
GiveMeABreak

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 24, 2009
 
Get all the facts folks; not the obviously emotional reaction of good folks attached to an organization. We should be emotionally attached; this is about our children. Get UCS's own auditors report -- it speaks for itself.

This is about survival and keeping a Christian Education institution on our wonderful campus. This is not GREED, it's SURVIVAL! Christian and private schools are closing around the country.

Can't we all just get along? These are difficult days and we'll all have to make adjustments.
I agree

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 24, 2009
 
GiveMeABreak wrote:
Get all the facts folks; not the obviously emotional reaction of good folks attached to an organization. We should be emotionally attached; this is about our children. Get UCS's own auditors report -- it speaks for itself.
This is about survival and keeping a Christian Education institution on our wonderful campus. This is not GREED, it's SURVIVAL! Christian and private schools are closing around the country.
Can't we all just get along? These are difficult days and we'll all have to make adjustments.
I agree. If the school/church was able to keep it self open it would have. The facts are the facts. No matter how they were presented. It is not WCS fault. They are not the evil hear. The fact that there is still going to be a Christian school available is a good thing. If you have anger in your heart than you need to take it and go where you feel the best. It is time to look to the future and make a good thing out of a bad thing.
Parent 2004

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 24, 2009
 

Judged:

1

They took advantage of the situation. Was it Christian? No Was it smart? Yep.
However, maybe not as smart as they think.
Now they will have to pay a big old loan back.
Our county has the highest un-employment rate at 10 percent. That means 1 out of every 10 people have no job.
How many people have the funds to pay for tuition next year at a price of roughly 10k? Don't all raise your hands at once now. Of course there are the die hard religious that need or want a Christian education. These will be homeschooling to save or looking at cheaper places.
So, Karen on that note I look forward to reading about your fire sale a year or 2 from now.
Who knows? Maybe one of the Upland Christian people there now will buy it off you if your lucky.
I wound not be surprised to see it rise from the ashes someday.
UCS Parent

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 24, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

GiveMeABreak wrote:
Get all the facts folks; not the obviously emotional reaction of good folks attached to an organization. We should be emotionally attached; this is about our children. Get UCS's own auditors report -- it speaks for itself.

This is about survival and keeping a Christian Education institution on our wonderful campus. This is not GREED, it's SURVIVAL! Christian and private schools are closing around the country.
Can't we all just get along? These are difficult days and we'll all have to make adjustments.
You are slightly misinformed. It's not about survival. Maybe you don't know that the UCS parents made a legitimate, legal offer on the property, agreed to cover any financial deficit, and proved that we do, in fact, have the financial resources to solve our own problems. We don't need WCS to bail us out of anything. It seems Ms. Winter didn't really think we could do it when she said she would back off and let us have the chance to do that. She refuses to stand down. The district has the legal right to sell, and WCS has the legal right to buy. However, legality is different than morality. We know that by the many unbibilical things that are legal. I feel bad for the many good WCS families who will end up footing the bill for all this debt because this situation was handled so poorly by the leadership.

You can have the property, Ms. Winter, but we are not for sale. I won't be going to your meeting, and I will be putting my child in a school where good Christian values are modeled from the top down!
UseYourHead

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 24, 2009
 

Judged:

2

Not involved with either school but come on people, use your head! I can see why the church sought out Western and asked them to purchase the school and save it from certain bankruptcy. When you parents say, "you could have bought the school" did you put the money up? 10 million? Instead of looking and blaming the ones who are trying to save the Christian school you should look to the ones who put the school in the position it is now!!!! The school leadership and school board (UCS parents? that would explain alot). As a Christian I pray Winters and the Western Board stand firm and let nothing move them, always abounding in the work of the Lord, and that they save His ministry -- that's right, HIS not yours!(UCS) from itself and its self serving parents.
UCS Dad

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 24, 2009
 
UseYourHead wrote:
Not involved with either school but come on people, use your head! I can see why the church sought out Western and asked them to purchase the school and save it from certain bankruptcy. When you parents say, "you could have bought the school" did you put the money up? 10 million? Instead of looking and blaming the ones who are trying to save the Christian school you should look to the ones who put the school in the position it is now!!!! The school leadership and school board (UCS parents? that would explain alot). As a Christian I pray Winters and the Western Board stand firm and let nothing move them, always abounding in the work of the Lord, and that they save His ministry -- that's right, HIS not yours!(UCS) from itself and its self serving parents.
It is true as you say...you are not involved with either school...you obviously know nothing about the situation or at least not enough to make an informed comment. You asked two questions...

"Did you put the money up?

Answer: Yes...when the parent group was finally considered as a legitimate association and fully grasped the situation, we did put the money up. Was it even seriously considered? No.

"10 million?"

Answer: Actually, yes...and more than WCS's offer.

There is more to this situation than you even know. More than I even know. We did try to save the Christian school. Our Christian school. The one that we, and those before us, built together. Yes, there were financial issues that needed to be addressed, and with open honesty from all parts, this more than likely could have been solved in a much more civil manner.

However, we are over the fact that "our" school...Upland Christian...is a property and set of buildings. It is the people. The parents, students, teachers, families and honest adminstrators that make up the school. That is the kind of school I wish for my children to attend. That is where they will attend next year and for years to come...and that place is not called Western Christian School Upland Campus...or whatever it is they are going to call it.
UCS parent

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 24, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

UseYourHead wrote:
Not involved with either school but come on people, use your head! I can see why the church sought out Western and asked them to purchase the school and save it from certain bankruptcy. When you parents say, "you could have bought the school" did you put the money up? 10 million? Instead of looking and blaming the ones who are trying to save the Christian school you should look to the ones who put the school in the position it is now!!!! The school leadership and school board (UCS parents? that would explain alot). As a Christian I pray Winters and the Western Board stand firm and let nothing move them, always abounding in the work of the Lord, and that they save His ministry -- that's right, HIS not yours!(UCS) from itself and its self serving parents.
You're doing a great job perpetuating the same old lies. Too bad we all know the truth. HIS ministry will never be carried out by people who act in evil ways. It doesn't matter to us anymore what the WCS or Nazarene District Board does. They can have each other. Clearly they deserve each other. I'll be praying too, for the WCS families who are trusting these people who have betrayed our trust so badly.
Brian

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 24, 2009
 
It will be a wonder if the new owners are supported by our local community. They're all fired.
Interested in Truth

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 24, 2009
 

Judged:

1

UseYourHead comes from Vacaville. Isn't that where Mrs. Winters comes from? Just an observation.
UCS Parent

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 24, 2009
 
There is so much that the public, and possibly most WCS families, don't know. This whole transaction is based on lies. This school they are trying to create on our campus is being built on a shaky foundation of sinful behavior. Throughout this whole ordeal, UCS families have been treated very badly and we've not been given a voice and we've not been listened to. I am doing the same now. I am not going to the meetings this coming week because there is nothing any of these people can say that interests me.
Fred

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 25, 2009
 
Wow, and I thought that this would be over when the injunction was either lifted or the proper owners settled.

Proverbs 3:3-5
curious

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 25, 2009
 
Interested in Truth wrote:
UseYourHead comes from Vacaville. Isn't that where Mrs. Winters comes from? Just an observation.
Didn't she come from Vacaville Christian School?
Parent 2004

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 25, 2009
 
Perhaps money was not the big issue here since the parents offer was more than Westerns. Maybe they wanted something else plus the money? Just a guess. Western was going to let the church stay there for 5 years rent free. They also may have offered other sweet heart incentives that the parents did not know about so they could not match them. You never know.
The school is the people not the physical buildings.
Since they had the money to buy it they can now go and buy some thing else and begin anew. They will compete with the Western once again. I for one hope
Western gets it rear end kicked and goes bye bye.
You see you reap what you sow.
I am sorry for all the money,labor,and hard work that you will have left behind but I guess that is life lesson.
Never trust a church. Trust God only.
Interested reader

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 25, 2009
 
Parent 2004 wrote:
Perhaps money was not the big issue here since the parents offer was more than Westerns. Maybe they wanted something else plus the money? Just a guess. Western was going to let the church stay there for 5 years rent free. They also may have offered other sweet heart incentives that the parents did not know about so they could not match them. You never know.
The school is the people not the physical buildings.
Since they had the money to buy it they can now go and buy some thing else and begin anew. They will compete with the Western once again. I for one hope
Western gets it rear end kicked and goes bye bye.
You see you reap what you sow.
I am sorry for all the money,labor,and hard work that you will have left behind but I guess that is life lesson.
Never trust a church. Trust God only.
Oh get over yourself.
UCS parent -2013

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 25, 2009
 
Parent 2004 wrote:
Perhaps money was not the big issue here since the parents offer was more than Westerns. Maybe they wanted something else plus the money? Just a guess. Western was going to let the church stay there for 5 years rent free. They also may have offered other sweet heart incentives that the parents did not know about so they could not match them. You never know.
The school is the people not the physical buildings.
Since they had the money to buy it they can now go and buy some thing else and begin anew. They will compete with the Western once again. I for one hope
Western gets it rear end kicked and goes bye bye.
You see you reap what you sow.
I am sorry for all the money,labor,and hard work that you will have left behind but I guess that is life lesson.
Never trust a church. Trust God only.
You are absolutely correct, UCS is not the property, the UCS we've been working hard to keep is the administration, faculty, students and their families. All the money, labor and hard work left behind is a life lesson, but the most important lesson to our children is this was out of love for God and the spiritual and academics lessons learned at our school. I have seen our students over the last several terrible months and what they've gone through and I see strong young men, women (HS, Jr.HS)and kids(elementary) bond together in Christ throughout this whole ordeal. This proves to me that UCS is NOT the property it is the people. UCS will continue (yes it will have to be in a different location) as I am trusting in God as I have through this whole process. I know from all the lies we've been told from the Church District and Karen Winters of WCS association with them through this, that WCS is NOT the Christian school (it starts from the adnministration) I am looking for, for my child. I thought about going to her meeting this week JUST to hear what she has to say...but why waste my time for more lies. May God bless all those who have prayed for and with us and for all involve in keeping UCS a school-you're doing a GREAT job!
Finally

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 25, 2009
 
Legally the school will be sold to WCS. Legally the District Board, Pastor Kratz, Dr. Doane, Karen Winters and the others did NOTHING WRONG. The California legal system has surpassed the UCS parent board too. Your money was wasted. If you knew anything about how other churches who have schools on their campus's around the world operate, this would not have been a shock at all. Current members of Upland First have spoken as well. God is moving through this land and His hand is clearly in our community.
And for the people speaking of greed & dishonestly from Pastor Kratz, Dr. Doane & the others- how dare you?!?! You might as well put on a jumper & pack a lunch because the bus is almost here to take you back to school where you belong. Mud-slinging & ugly remarks will get you no where. Grow-up.
ucs is Number 1

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 25, 2009
 
Why are you mudslinging and making ugly remarks then?

I am so exicted that UCS is forgetting about all this and looking for a new site. They are someone I can trust. They don't have secrets.
A bystander

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 25, 2009
 
Since the beginning of this situation, there have been people refusing to believe the facts, and more than willing to believe the lies being perpetrated by some. It makes me wonder just what the Upland Church, and its pastors, has had to put up with all these years??? The District did agree to entertain any offer put on the table by those in opposition to the WCS deal, and there was none!!! Don't believe the lies of those that said there was. And -- if these same people had so much money, why didn't they help with the mountain of debt incurred by the school? Oh yes, I remember -- the school didn't have a financial problem.
Parent 2004

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 25, 2009
 
Be wise! Just rent a place. You can buy UCS back when it goes bust in a year or two from now.
Something similar happened to me in life before.
Karen and her crew will fall and fail. 1 in 10 people have no job in this county. The economy will not turn around for several years. I am not making this up. It is a fact! Which means 1 in 10 of the families at her current school don't or won't have a job. Hello....I think food and a roof over there head will surpass a whooping tuition. Ask yourself as you read. Is any one I know with out a job today? Is any one I know going to be with out a job soon? There it is folks the economy
will do her in. Just take your kids out of there
charge less than her in the new UCS and drive her into the abyss she slithered out of.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 103
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pomona Discussions

Search the Pomona Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 2 hr Sun tan baby 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr nw batteries 15,919
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr Trojan 26,672
Peoples Republic of Glendora 14 hr red star 1
When will Judy Nelson wake up 14 hr Lies from Judy 3
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 14 hr Appeals 200,336
Boogie men in Glendora city hall 16 hr Zip line times 10
•••
•••

Pomona News Video

•••
•••

Pomona Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pomona People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pomona News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pomona
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••