Who voted for Andrew Cruz and Why?

Posted in the Pomona Forum

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Dec 10, 2012
Julie

Chino, CA

#1 Dec 1, 2012
As a local resident with two school age children I am shocked by the news that Mr. Cruz will likely unseat incumbent Fred Youngblood. This is a WTF situation!

Andrew Cruz, is quoted in the current Chino Hills Champion as stating, "Everything will revolve around the teachers. That's where my prejudice lies."

How did a school librarian, with no political experience, no campaigning and a, now, clearly stated biased frame of mind come to be elected?
Was it because of his Hispanic surname or list position on the voting ballot?

California teachers already have the strongest labor union in the state, they do not need another advocate our kids do though!

I am quite disturbed by this election result.
Joe from Chino Hills

Chino, CA

#2 Dec 1, 2012
I too read this article. I am socked that this person has now decided to come out of the closet to inform the electorate of his position and views on education. If the electorate knew he cared only about the teachers and not the children, would they have voted for him? For Cruz to believe the "board" has no authority to dictate what is best for schools in the district, tells me he does not have the best interest of our students in mind. Again, his prejudice "lies" with the teachers. I have nothing against teachers, but Cruz needs to understand that teachers alone cannot operate a school. There are other staff that play an important role in the development of each student. It sounds to me, if sworn in, Cruz will be an obstructionist. I guess the secret to being elected to public office is to keep your mouth shut, don't make public appearances, avoid any campaigning and pray that your name appears first on the ballot, so that it can appeal to a certain group of the voting block.
Don

Chino, CA

#3 Dec 1, 2012
I for one am baffled why the Chino Valley residents considered Andrew Cruz a viable candidate. The incumbent, Mr. Youngblood, with his vast experience in public service was rejected by the voters only to be replaced by a candidate that appears that makes ridiculous statements, that give me cause for concern. Chino Valley, what did we do by putting what appears to be a liberal on the school board.
Keltner

Adelanto, CA

#4 Dec 10, 2012
I too am concerned about his comments. It was always my idea that schools were created for the children and the children's education, and THEY should always be the #1 priority. Usually, but not always, as a side effect, what is good for the students, turns out good for teachers. Students should always be the number one priority, along with their parents concerns, and the local community--which is the school board member's constituency.
This is an excerpt from "School Board Leadership," a handbook from the state:
"As the only locally elected officials chosen solely to represent the interests of
schoolchildren, board members also have a
responsibility to speak out on behalf of those
children. Board members are advocates for
students, the districts’ educational programs
and public education. They build support
within their communities..."
Source: http://www.csba.org/~/media/51E3FBB8395047008...

Time will tell how much Mr. Cruz, or any of the current CVUSD school board members will eventually come to realize and act on this premise. We can always hope that they will realize soon, and to a large extent.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pomona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 27 min Jim Setran 4,997
What is a Commish 3 hr good dumps 57
A Vote For Erica is a Vote For Mark Smith and E... (Jan '11) 3 hr piece o krap 47
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 3 hr Tank ever 7,926
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr landluber suck 200,576
Glendora Community Services 4 hr soggy happies 3
Before and after school daycare in Pomona 11 hr Mayra Jimenez 1
•••

Pomona News Video

•••
•••

Pomona Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pomona People Search