is the grocery store in middleport,re...

is the grocery store in middleport,re-opening/

Posted in the Pomeroy Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dan

Point Pleasant, WV

#1 Dec 3, 2012
heard something on wsaz. boy,that would be great. they need that down there. sure would help the older folks in middleport.
Fingers crossed

Middleport, OH

#2 Dec 3, 2012
I have been hearing rumors that the Vaughns are going to open it back up.
I hope they do!! I have had enough of WalMart and Powells always has the same old stuff on sale.
It would be great to be able to purchase meat locally again.
Over 20 yrs

New Haven, WV

#3 Dec 4, 2012
Fingers crossed wrote:
I have been hearing rumors that the Vaughns are going to open it back up.
I hope they do!! I have had enough of WalMart and Powells always has the same old stuff on sale.
It would be great to be able to purchase meat locally again.
Would be nice but, in the business world the owner contracts out the grocery supply to a Commodity suppler. The owner only gets a percentage of what the commondities cost the customer. If the commondities are priced to high no one will purchase that item. Commodity suppliers have a lot of control over pricing. Remember the sign out front of Vaughans stating Galaxy. They were the ones that supplied the store and set pricing.
Maybe

Point Pleasant, WV

#4 Dec 4, 2012
MIDDLEPORT, Ohio )- A grocery store that was set to reopen in just a few months may not be able to open its doors at all. And it's all because of government assistance.
Donald Vaughan's family has owned the building on the corner of General Hartinger Parkway and Pearl Street in Middleport for decades. It's been a grocery store for more than 100 years.
"There's been a store there for so long, people are used to it being there," Vaughan said. "People count on it being there. Here we are. We need to get that thing back open again."
They sold the business in the early 2000s, and it eventually shut down. Since 2009, Vaughan had been working to get it back open.
With a goal date of March 1, that dream was just months from becoming reality when the WIC program told Vaughan paperwork was filed a few weeks too late to allow the store to accept WIC vouchers for 2013.
"We try to start this new business with already a strike against us," Vaughan said. "There's a certain population we can't serve."
Without being allowed to participate in the WIC program, Vaughan says the store will not be able to open, and that means the 30 to 40 new jobs will be lost.
"You can't open a new business and immediately rule out a significant portion of you customers," Vaughan said.
Vaughan says there are roughly 700 families in Meigs County that are in the WIC program. Vaughan estimates that would be roughly 20 percent of his business.
Mayor Mike Gerlach says a lack of jobs is responsible for the poverty.
"We have a high unemployment compared to the rest of the state," Gerlach said. "It's the poverty, really. "
Vaughan is still in talks with WIC, and is hoping the agency will reverse its decision.
geeshlouise

Ravenswood, WV

#5 Dec 4, 2012
Wow...nothing gets past Gerlach, does it? Who knew unemployment was responsible for poverty? Thank you Sherlock.
Jarhead

New Haven, WV

#6 Dec 6, 2012
The Vaughan's family and Gerlach are like two peas in a pod. This has been known for years!
Vaughan estimates that WIC would be roughly 20 percent of his business. How about the other 80%? "Oh" I can live without Vaughan Groceries. They was extremely to high on what they sold. Have you ever noticed the sale at Save a Lot and Powell. In the middle of the month great sale 10 for$10.00 and sales through out the store. But, when it comes the first of the month for food stamps to be sent out. No sales at all, due to they want that extra money. Check it out for yourself. It Like clockwork every month!
tired

Point Pleasant, WV

#7 Dec 6, 2012
I hope they do open with a good franchise one that can offer great deals and fresh meats FOOD-4-LESS would be good CARNIVAL FOODS or even IGA.
Yeep

Chillicothe, OH

#8 Dec 6, 2012
When Vaughn's first went out of business, I believe they owed several of their vendor's money. I remember in the public notices Pepsi suing for $69,000.
HaHaHa

Muncie, IN

#9 Dec 11, 2012
Yeep wrote:
When Vaughn's first went out of business, I believe they owed several of their vendor's money. I remember in the public notices Pepsi suing for $69,000.
The Vaughns never went out of business, they sold or leased the business to the Hills, who in turn didn't pay any vendors, and left the Vaughns with all the taxes they never paid. That's what has taken so long to open it back up, having to pay off all the debt left to them.
Yeep

Wilmington, OH

#10 Dec 11, 2012
HaHaHa wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vaughns never went out of business, they sold or leased the business to the Hills, who in turn didn't pay any vendors, and left the Vaughns with all the taxes they never paid. That's what has taken so long to open it back up, having to pay off all the debt left to them.
WRONG! Pepsi was suing way before Hill's opened Hometown Market!!!!!
HaHaHa

Muncie, IN

#11 Dec 11, 2012
Yeep wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG! Pepsi was suing way before Hill's opened Hometown Market!!!!!
WRONG! The Hills had it before they changed the name
lone wolf testing

Ravenswood, WV

#12 Dec 11, 2012
testing
truth is

Point Pleasant, WV

#13 Dec 11, 2012
Hill's had controll months before the name change Hills was not paying the venders and even the employee's had trouble getting they'er pay checks and then started laying them off.
nice

Ravenswood, WV

#14 Dec 13, 2012
i hope so so nice
Willie

United States

#15 Dec 21, 2012
If pomeroy and middleport weren't such havens for welfare trash because its so easy to get then maybe there wouldn't be such a need for WIC and they wouldn't have that problem.
about wic

Wilmington, OH

#16 Dec 21, 2012
@ Willie... Just to let you know... Wic has nothing to do with welfare... even working people get it...its for new and expecting mothers..they DO NOT have to be on welfare, and Mr. Smarty... look around you .. how many jobs are there in this county?
Willie wrote:
If pomeroy and middleport weren't such havens for welfare trash because its so easy to get then maybe there wouldn't be such a need for WIC and they wouldn't have that problem.
Concerned Citizen

Wilmington, OH

#17 Dec 21, 2012
I would love for Vaughn's to make their comeback. I used to shop there all the time, especially to get their meats,fresh fruits and vegetables.
Mr. Vaughn open that store back up!!
truth is

Point Pleasant, WV

#18 Dec 22, 2012
Willie wrote:
If pomeroy and middleport weren't such havens for welfare trash because its so easy to get then maybe there wouldn't be such a need for WIC and they wouldn't have that problem.
Willie Zahran we all know who and what you are. A welfare bum who lives off his mother.
Willie

United States

#19 Dec 22, 2012
Sorry truth is but I don't know who the person is that you think I am but I'm not him. I work every day and make a good li Inc because I worked hard for it. And about WIC thank you for the explanation, I had a misconception of that and I'm not talking about the poeple down on their luck I'm talking about the ones that don't even look for a job and the ones that move here from elsewhere just to get welfare because it is so easy to get. Also if a person is willing to work they can find a job. If I didn't have a job I would go where I could find one.
Call Me

United States

#20 Dec 22, 2012
Jarhead wrote:
The Vaughan's family and Gerlach are like two peas in a pod. This has been known for years!
Vaughan estimates that WIC would be roughly 20 percent of his business. How about the other 80%? "Oh" I can live without Vaughan Groceries. They was extremely to high on what they sold. Have you ever noticed the sale at Save a Lot and Powell. In the middle of the month great sale 10 for$10.00 and sales through out the store. But, when it comes the first of the month for food stamps to be sent out. No sales at all, due to they want that extra money. Check it out for yourself. It Like clockwork every month!
.
Nothing wrong with the 10 for $10 sale in the middle or end of the month if you ask me. Us hard working people deserve a sale and a break, who cares about the welfare recipients that get free food every month from our government and us tax payers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pomeroy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who is kurt with these days?? (May '15) 1 hr Kevin 28
Emily Davis/brad smith (Aug '13) 5 hr Mentioning 21
143 yard sale (Jun '11) 13 hr Cautious 4
mary engle (Nov '15) Mon Dirk 32
wild hogs seen on 143 (May '12) Mon It was mine 20
Red head from dollar general May 21 lewey 6
ryan hawthorn (Oct '15) May 20 Cameron 16

Pomeroy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pomeroy Mortgages