Why didn't God mention this?
lol

United States

#41 Feb 11, 2013
anonymous411 wrote:
Nice, but go back a little further. Original life came from where? Neanderthal man didn't just fly in on the Milky Way. Christianity is a myth according to you. That means no god. Life started somewhere. Where? How? Big Bang involving what? What formed objects clanking together in that? I think all you're sure of, is that Christians are wrong. From there you don't really give a damn what happened. Alternatives aren't based on fact either. All of you anti-Christian loudmouths just bark at us close-minded Christians for our faith in something unseen while you have total faith in scientific BS that goes back maybe 1/2 of the life of the universe. You have all the facts? Where did original life spring from and please site your source?(I bet you're going to google it because other than talk crap to Christians you haven't even tried to find out yourself). Site your credible google source because if the Internet says it, it must be true. Lol
Love this!
truth

United States

#42 Feb 11, 2013
[QUOTE who="Torches&Pitchfor ks"]Once again I'm going to bring the same argument that I used in an earlier post.

The scientists who mapped the human genome said that understanding DNA was "unlocking the language of God". Let's assume that since many creatures on Earth carry the same genes, that DNA is a code to build a creature. Also accepting that Neanderthal was similar in form to modern human, it would be very easy to see why so much of the code is the same.

What the "atheistic, intelligent design people are morons" crowd always gets hung up on is the argument that the bible should mention primitive human like primates and dinosaurs. Why does it have to? Could these be earlier creations of God?

It always comes back to faith. We as Christians, for the most part, are not trying to disprove science(yes some whacko fringe groups do), but as a whole to the church it's not a big issue.

The scriptures are a man written, God inspired road map for how to live our lives. It's the greatest advice/self help book ever written. I will always argue that something started the Big Bang, as do many leading physicists. If we stick the premise that God is all powerful, then who is to say that He in starting the Big Bang didn't preordain everything that happened as a result of that one action. Why do we humans always try to look at God on our own terms?

This whole argument rests on people not understanding the grandeur and power of God. Once you get your head around not being able to fully get your head around how truly awesome God is, it becomes very easy to accept science and religion coexisting.[/QUOTE]
Very well put. Self explanatory when put in words a person can understand!

Since: Nov 11

United States

#43 Feb 11, 2013
[QUOTE who="Torches&Pitchfor ks"]Once again I'm going to bring the same argument that I used in an earlier post.
The scientists who mapped the human genome said that understanding DNA was "unlocking the language of God". Let's assume that since many creatures on Earth carry the same genes, that DNA is a code to build a creature. Also accepting that Neanderthal was similar in form to modern human, it would be very easy to see why so much of the code is the same.
What the "atheistic, intelligent design people are morons" crowd always gets hung up on is the argument that the bible should mention primitive human like primates and dinosaurs. Why does it have to? Could these be earlier creations of God?
It always comes back to faith. We as Christians, for the most part, are not trying to disprove science(yes some whacko fringe groups do), but as a whole to the church it's not a big issue.
The scriptures are a man written, God inspired road map for how to live our lives. It's the greatest advice/self help book ever written. I will always argue that something started the Big Bang, as do many leading physicists. If we stick the premise that God is all powerful, then who is to say that He in starting the Big Bang didn't preordain everything that happened as a result of that one action. Why do we humans always try to look at God on our own terms?
This whole argument rests on people not understanding the grandeur and power of God. Once you get your head around not being able to fully get your head around how truly awesome God is, it becomes very easy to accept science and religion coexisting.[/QUOTE]

Well said. The most intelligence I've read on here in a while.
Yep

Wilmington, OH

#44 Feb 11, 2013
I read a article today and it said the reason Jesus never married was because he was gay. Do you think this could be true?
Yep

Wilmington, OH

#45 Feb 11, 2013
All life evolved from single celled organisms. These microbes was brought here on asteroids. Source: The Science Journal, pub 2012, New York, NY.
anonymous411 wrote:
Nice, but go back a little further. Original life came from where? Neanderthal man didn't just fly in on the Milky Way. Christianity is a myth according to you. That means no god. Life started somewhere. Where? How? Big Bang involving what? What formed objects clanking together in that? I think all you're sure of, is that Christians are wrong. From there you don't really give a damn what happened. Alternatives aren't based on fact either. All of you anti-Christian loudmouths just bark at us close-minded Christians for our faith in something unseen while you have total faith in scientific BS that goes back maybe 1/2 of the life of the universe. You have all the facts? Where did original life spring from and please site your source?(I bet you're going to google it because other than talk crap to Christians you haven't even tried to find out yourself). Site your credible google source because if the Internet says it, it must be true. Lol

Since: Dec 11

Point Pleasant, WV

#46 Feb 12, 2013
Yep wrote:
All life evolved from single celled organisms. These microbes was brought here on asteroids. Source: The Science Journal, pub 2012, New York, NY. <quoted text>
Great! Now we are getting somewhere. Where did the asteroid come from? What created the stars and the sky? I'm sure science has a good explanation for all this. What made that microbe?

Point Pleasant, WV

#47 Feb 12, 2013
Just wait for it... Some grown up is really going to judge this comment as spam or put a big red X on it like they did anyone who supports God. Nothing like a good time. Lol
I bet they got crayon all over their screen before they figured out how to use that judge it button.

Point Pleasant, WV

#48 Feb 12, 2013
Yep wrote:
I read a article today and it said the reason Jesus never married was because he was gay. Do you think this could be true?
You'll know soon enough. Ask him when you see him.
Yep

Amesville, OH

#49 Feb 12, 2013
anonymous411 wrote:
<quoted text>
Great! Now we are getting somewhere. Where did the asteroid come from? What created the stars and the sky? I'm sure science has a good explanation for all this. What made that microbe?
First off i want to say "I have always loved debating you anonymous411." Your not rude and you make valid points, so thanks. As in the past I'm not saying there is not a higher power out there that created all, I'm saying it's not the god you speak of or the Bible that you use to guide your life.
Back to the subject, it was the "big bag theory", what caused the "big bag theory", I do not know. Science has given me many answers to some hard questions, almost all have been proven. Just like MC squared. Yes it is possible to time travel (the faster you go the more time slows.) I just have a hard time in believing that something written ?-1,700 years ago can be reliable. "Angles came to me in a dream" "A ladder came out of the sky (heaven.) If someone said this today we would be putting them in Woodland Centers. Noah....built a ark for EVERY animal on earth? The earth was made in 6 days, this is written, but we all know this is not true. It is said to be Allegorical interpretation. So if it is said that being gay in the Bible is wrong how do we know that it is not meant to be a interpreted into something completely different. Do you see what I'm saying?
Yep

Amesville, OH

#50 Feb 12, 2013
Yep wrote:
I DID NOT WRITE THIS!!! I DONT KNOW HOW OR WHY IT HAS MY "YEP" BUT IT IS NOT ME!!!!!!!

Since: Feb 13

Amesville, OH

#51 Feb 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="Torches&Pitchfor ks"]Well thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that a simple post helped to glorify the kingdom.
I would recommend digging into scripture, it will help to increase your faith. Keep in mind than mankind can twist religion into many ugly things, but if church doctrine is held up against the lens of scripture, it becomes easy to discern what the ugly is.
I would also recommend trying to find a church that works for you. It may take time, and will promise to be frustrating. You will find more that you don't like, then you do. Eventually you'll find a home. If you've tried traditional churches and felt unwelcome try out a few of the new start ups. Above all remember to question anything any church teaches you against the scripture.
Lastly I will suggest the book of James. It's a short easy read that is jam packed with easy to understand truth.
Enjoy and post back. Maybe we can use this site for some good for a change.[/QUOTE]Why does over 50% of sexual assault claims happen at church or from a church member? Why will you not answer this question?
Torches&Pitchfor ks

United States

#52 Feb 12, 2013
Yep it is me YEP wrote:
Why does over 50% of sexual assault claims happen at church or from a church member? Why will you not answer this question?
For starters please don't assume that I will ever shy away from a questions.

Also your left field attempt to further bash Christianity is juvenile at best, but I'll bite. Lets use some logic here.

Also I'll accept your figures to be correct for the sake of this debate.(In the future, site your sources please)

2012 Gallup pole ( http://www.gallup.com/poll/159548/identify-ch... ) shows that a massive 77% of Americans self identify as Christians. So if a 77% of Americans claim to be Christians then it sounds like Christians are beating the average numbers.

Also I would further hypothesize that since sexual predators like to groom their victims, a church setting is an easy place to do just that. So it could be theorized that sexual predators infiltrate churches to satisfy their own sick needs, but are not really there for the glory of God.(I'm sure they'd identify as Christians when asked though)

Other than the Catholic Church, and I'm sure some case by case instances, the Church as a whole is not condoning sexual assault, and to seemingly accuse all Christians of doing so is akin to saying all universities condone it because PSU covered it up. Or that all day cares are havens for pedophiles because it happens there too.

Why must you lump all Christians together? Keep in mind that everyone who claims to be a Christian, isn't a true follower of Christ.

Your assumptions about Christians are simply in a word, bigoted. Are we not supposed to weigh each person by their merits and actions?
Are You crazy

Middleport, OH

#53 Feb 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="Torches&Pitchfor ks"]<quoted text>
For starters please don't assume that I will ever shy away from a questions.
Also your left field attempt to further bash Christianity is juvenile at best, but I'll bite. Lets use some logic here.
Also I'll accept your figures to be correct for the sake of this debate.(In the future, site your sources please)
2012 Gallup pole ( http://www.gallup.com/poll/159548/identify-ch... ) shows that a massive 77% of Americans self identify as Christians. So if a 77% of Americans claim to be Christians then it sounds like Christians are beating the average numbers.
Also I would further hypothesize that since sexual predators like to groom their victims, a church setting is an easy place to do just that. So it could be theorized that sexual predators infiltrate churches to satisfy their own sick needs, but are not really there for the glory of God.(I'm sure they'd identify as Christians when asked though)
Other than the Catholic Church, and I'm sure some case by case instances, the Church as a whole is not condoning sexual assault, and to seemingly accuse all Christians of doing so is akin to saying all universities condone it because PSU covered it up. Or that all day cares are havens for pedophiles because it happens there too.
Why must you lump all Christians together? Keep in mind that everyone who claims to be a Christian, isn't a true follower of Christ.
Your assumptions about Christians are simply in a word, bigoted. Are we not supposed to weigh each person by their merits and actions?
[/QUOTE]

The Catholic Church does NOT CONDONE sexual assult!!! Your assumptions about the Catholic Church are simply, in a word, BIGOTED!!!
Torches&Pitchfor ks

United States

#54 Feb 12, 2013
Are You crazy wrote:
[QUOTE who="Torches&Pitchfor ks"]<quoted text>

The Catholic Church does NOT CONDONE sexual assult!!! Your assumptions about the Catholic Church are simply, in a word, BIGOTED!!!
I should've elaborated on that more. I apologize for accidentally suggesting that the Catholic Church condones sexual assault. I know that as a whole it doesn't. However the Catholic Church did willfully cover up instances or sexual abuse in many different occasions.(As have many individual Protestant churches) That is what I was alluding to, I didn't choose my words correctly. I am sorry.
Rocky Johnson

United States

#55 Feb 12, 2013
Wow:)
isle de muerta

Derry, PA

#56 Feb 17, 2013
Riddle me this, who created god? If he created everything else, who created him? And if god loves all his creature and all that, he us such a loving god etc, but you'll burn in hell for eternity for a few mistakes. That's loving! Or how about the gimmick, you should tithe ten percent of your money to the church, when you come into any money. Doesn't that sound like a government scam? They build many of them for free but take your money. The whole thing is a crock
Biff Tannen

Newark, OH

#57 Feb 17, 2013
isle de muerta wrote:
Riddle me this, who created god? If he created everything else, who created him? And if god loves all his creature and all that, he us such a loving god etc, but you'll burn in hell for eternity for a few mistakes. That's loving! Or how about the gimmick, you should tithe ten percent of your money to the church, when you come into any money. Doesn't that sound like a government scam? They build many of them for free but take your money. The whole thing is a crock
The whole thing is, certainly, a crock. I've lately pondered, though, why we bother to engage in these debates, with their endless rounds of nonsensical rejoinders of "it's about faith," or "read the scripture," or endless invocations of Pascal's Wager.(Reminds me of watching the inquisitions held by Dr. Zaius in Planet of the Apes).

Ultimately, for me at least, I care about the children. It's incredibly sad to think of how many people who are now religious have been robbed of their freedom of thought and liberty of conscience. Religious indoctrination is designed for the specific purpose of teaching the child to affirm a specific ideology. It is so deviously designed that it does this through intimidation, fear and social reward. If the indoctrination is successful,- and that is what the parents want - the child will never have liberty of conscience or freedom of thought.

This is a severe limiation of personal freedom - and cannot be tolerated.

More, not only does religion have undue influence on education, politics, social climate, academia etc - the ideological content of many religions is diametrically opposed to liberty, justice, science, scientific progress and social progress. It should be our highest priority to establish and secure a society where everyone has an equal and maximal scheme of liberties, as well as the faculty to make rational use of them and where, in the public domain, public reason (rationality with the ability to acknowledge and make use of intersubjectively and methodologically established facts) is used to confront problems.

Mythical thinking, thinking that one has special, revealed but indemonstrable knowledge not only of how the universe works, but of how everyone should behave and what rights they should have is a major factor impeding the establishment of just societies. Religions, with their dogmatically held and ethically relevant beliefs, are catalysts of isolation, irrationality and injustice. This has to be opposed.

Since: Nov 11

Point Pleasant, WV

#58 Feb 17, 2013
Well Biff, you'll have to go back to the founding fathers in your time machine and work on that "maximal scheme of liberties" thing. Thanks for caring about the children. My take would be that they're going to be just fine in a good Christian home. I appreciate the emotion you have in your thought of my being "robbed" of freedom of thought and liberty of conscience. I'm really content with the freedom I have in this country and even this life. I'm also pretty satisfied with liberty of conscience.

It seems to me that maybe you, in all of your ideological independence, haven't looked closely at the people you think are so beneath you. None of us are perfect.(Although I suspect you might see one when you glance into your mirror in the morning). While shouting from on high about the dangers of Christianity and other religions, have you given careful thought to what your world would look like? When you close your eyes and see religion gone from society, what does your utopian society look like? Everything influences education, politics, social climate, academia etc. What would you have take religion's place? Obviously something will. Not all influences are equal anywhere. I'm sure you have one in mind. What would you replace religion with?

Also concerning the harm done to society by religion, maybe just maybe the reason we accommodate diverse opinions in our society in because you are protected under the umbrella of Chriastian people who refrain from pounding you into the ground because they fear The Lord our God. Ponder that.
WoW

United States

#59 Feb 17, 2013
Faith~ Know God
Disbelief ~ No God
Biff Tannen

Heath, OH

#60 Feb 17, 2013
Consider it pondered.

1. The Founders sought to enshrine a maximal scheme of liberties through the adoption of the first ten amendments. More, note that the Constitutional framework for governance is calculated at every turn to blunt the tendency toward "majority rule." Indeed, majority rule is emphatically not "our way." (Also worth noting that the Founders were not Christians as you understand the term but tended rather toward a kind of "theistic rationalism.")

2. It would be best to teach children (and give equal time to) the thousands (and it is thousands) of Gods humanity has had, or teach them of no God at all; not until their cognitive reasoning has developed somewhat. and to not take the latter is, quite literally, to rape the mind of your child. By all means, inform your child of the concepts of Gods, logic and reason, but to go further with regard to one particular God and give that God special credit and be proud that you do so as a parent is a repugnant thing indeed. The reason indoctrination persists is because if children weren't brainwashed prior to the time in which their cognitive functions have developed Church congregation numbers of all religions would absolutely plummet.

4. With respect to the question of a suitable "replacement" for religion, I defer to the inimitable Hitchens: "[W]hat a breathtakingly insulting and patronizing question this is.(It is on a par with the equally subtle inquiry: Since you don't believe in our god, what stops you from stealing and lying and raping and killing to your heart's content?) Just as the answer to the latter question is: self-respect and the desire for the respect of others — while in the meantime it is precisely those who think they have divine permission who are truly capable of any atrocity—so the answer to the first question falls into two parts. A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless' except if the person living it is also an existentialist and elects to call it so. It could be that all existence is a pointless joke, but it is not in fact possible to live one's everyday life as if this were so. Whereas if one sought to define meaninglessness and futility, the idea that a human life should be expended in the guilty, fearful, self-obsessed propitiation of supernatural nonentities… but there, there. Enough.”{Hitch-22: A Memoir}

4. It is sheer nonsense to suggest that we tolerate diverse opinions because we live under some sort of umbrella of Christian tolerance maintained through fear that God will punish intolerant Christians. The suggestion is completely oxymoronic. See #3.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pomeroy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryan Varian 3 hr Time_to_step 3
I Dont Have A Single Friend 6 hr Wizard 6
Sarah Eskew 12 hr lames 14
Pomeroy pd 19 hr Blue Lives Matter 11
Donavin Chapman Tue an adult 2
Ailiana Large "please listen"! Aug 22 NAVGN 25
Meigs fair weigh ins Aug 22 pipe 5

Pomeroy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance