Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

It looks like the planning board may have a conflict of interest. I hope the town council takes a close look at their "recommendation" and why some of the members voted the way they did.

The people of Wingate are not in favor of having this monster tower built close to our town. Look at the facts and you will decide correctly that it does not belong here.

(1)Towers of this type emit gases and odors. Some of these gases are potentially explosive if allowed to build up. There are many cases of towers exploding when the gases are improperly vented. Almost all of the gases produced have an odor. On a still day those odors can be overpowering and potentially harmful. Howey and one of his supporters on the planning board were quoted in the Home News as making a flippant remark that "Wingate already has an odor so no one should object to this". That makes me furious as a resident and land owner in this town!

(2) Traffic on crowded 74 is already dangerous. The big trucks needed to carry the grain in and out of the Grain Tower will have to slow to a stop to make a turn onto the property. In addition those coming from the other direction will have to stop and then cross on coming traffic to get to the property. This will present a huge safety problem for the town as traffic will be disrupted and impeded by this new intersection. It would make much more sense, and be a lot safer, to locate this tower on a less traveled artery.
Neighbor of Mayor

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

I know the mayor is a big supporter of agriculture since he was raised in it and makes his living from it. That said, I hope he will use his good old common sense and oppose this threat to the health and well being of the town of Wingate. As the previous writer has noted we already have one grain tower and the trucks running back and forth through town present a real danger to pedestrians as well as vehicular traffic. Adding another grain tower on the other side of town will mean we will get a double dose of what is already a major threat to the citizens of this town.

The other writer has mentioned the possibility of gases building up inside a grain tower. Here is a link to an explosion in 2011 that claimed 6 lives and did millions in damage: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/31/us/kansas-grain...
And here is another in 1977 that cost 35 lives and did over 100 million in damage:
http://www3.gendisasters.com/louisiana/56/wes...

Bill, I beg you as my friend and neighbor to protect us from this un-needed danger by rejecting the motion of the ill advised planning board.
County Dweller

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Those that would build these things care nothing about the feelings of their own neighbors, much less the peons that live on this end of the county. Their encroachments and destructive efforts are evident all over our once beautiful countryside. Its landscape has been forever altered, with nary a thought but for the greed.
concerned in wingate

Indian Trail, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

I really thought Wingate was on the move to beautify and make our town what it should be, with side walks and flowers,a nice entrance to Wingate College ect. We do not need a big giant grain tower on the edge of town to drive anyone away . Please no GRAIN TOWER.
Friend on Todd Circle

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Someone tell me what benefit the Town of Wingate will get from having a grain tower on the edge of town. I have tried to be fair and not judgemental but I honestly can't see a single way it will help life in Wingate. I just don't understand why the planning board approved it. It makes no sense.
Huh

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

it helps business and commerce and its a rural town.
Friend on Todd Circle

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Huh wrote:
it helps business and commerce and its a rural town.
How will it help business and commerce? EXACTLY HOW? You can say that but if you can't back it up it's worthless. I agree with the writer on the topic called Wingate Resident.

1. A grain tower is unsightly and ugly. Wingate spent a million dollars to come up with a comprehensive plan to beautify the town, called Wingate 2020. This slaps that right in the face because it will uglify the eastern part of town.

2. A grain tower produces bad odors and can build up gases and dust which can ignite causing a huge explosion. In 1977 a grain tower in Louisiana exploded killing 35 people and destroying 100 million dollars of nearby property.

3. A grain tower on busy US 74 will create a dangerous traffic situation because trucks moving into and out of the property will have to slow, stop and cross traffic.

4. Property values in Wingate will decrease because people will not want to live near a grain tower

5. There are no benefits for the citizens of the town of Wingate.
Wingate U Employee

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Contact the members of town council and tell them why this would actually do harm to life here. I for one do not want to smell the rotting grain and breathe the dust that this tower is going to generate. Please tell them to vote NO!
Douglas Lowder

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

The Wingate Town Commissioners listened to people for and against last night.
I live on Maye St

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Douglas Lowder wrote:
The Wingate Town Commissioners listened to people for and against last night.
I didn't know you were back in Wingate but welcome back. I went over to the Jesse Helms Center where they were going to meet but couldn't get in. Today somebody told me they cancelled the meeting because somebody withdrew the re-zoning request. I don't know if Howey has backed down or not. There was something in the paper about somebody requesting a zoning change in town so it might have been that. Nothing in the Monkeyrow Enquirer and Uninal so we will see what becomes of this. I guess you saw where the Home News came out against the grain tower. That will help.

Another thing is that Tom Crook voted FOR the damn thing, not against it. Why in the world would he vote for it? He was backing Wingate 20-20 and town beautification. He must be getting as dizzy as his wife. You know Austin had his hand in the pie and would make money so that's why he supported it. Ella is two doors away from being sent to the funny farm but she had enough sense to vote against it so maybe she isn't as daffy as I think she is.
I am Ellas Neighbor

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Mr. Howey says he is going to take the town of Wingate to court now to get his giant grain tower built. Ella Hargett said the town lawyer is ready to go to court to stop him. The Town Lawyer used to be Donnie Perry but it is a girl lawyer now. I hope she is mean enough because Howey will have a lot of lawyers with his money.
Stacey E Lemmon

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Good News ...from what I read in the paper this seems to be unlikely to happen in less tan two or more years ... then they can try again... so safe to say you will not have to worry about "grain Tower anytime soon...
Stacey E Lemmon

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Wingate Town Manger is in trouble over this one..... Just thought that you good people should know.... Stacey
Anonymous Citizen

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

You are right. Patrick keeps stepping into deep poop without having his waders on. He was up to his ass over the grain tower fiasco but got out squeeky clean somehow. Here lately he has upset several people in town about this certain business wanting to build on 74 and now he's about to piss off the people who got them interested in coming here to build their business.
Stacey E Lemmon

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Yes good citizen.... he actions will effect any hopes that Wingate may want in the future.... thus "economically" dooming your community in this aspect.... at least they still have Wingate University....
The best of luck in the matter.... Stacey
Huh

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Friend on Todd Circle wrote:
Someone tell me what benefit the Town of Wingate will get from having a grain tower on the edge of town. I have tried to be fair and not judgemental but I honestly can't see a single way it will help life in Wingate. I just don't understand why the planning board approved it. It makes no sense.
Storing grains ='sustainability', right? That's the new buzzword everywhere, especially by those 'defending the planet'...

Question: Does 'sustainability' yield 'anti-growth'?
University Friend

Indian Trail, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

I live on Maye St wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know you were back in Wingate but welcome back. I went over to the Jesse Helms Center where they were going to meet but couldn't get in. Today somebody told me they cancelled the meeting because somebody withdrew the re-zoning request. I don't know if Howey has backed down or not. There was something in the paper about somebody requesting a zoning change in town so it might have been that. Nothing in the Monkeyrow Enquirer and Uninal so we will see what becomes of this. I guess you saw where the Home News came out against the grain tower. That will help.
Another thing is that Tom Crook voted FOR the damn thing, not against it. Why in the world would he vote for it? He was backing Wingate 20-20 and town beautification. He must be getting as dizzy as his wife. You know Austin had his hand in the pie and would make money so that's why he supported it. Ella is two doors away from being sent to the funny farm but she had enough sense to vote against it so maybe she isn't as daffy as I think she is.
Why would you say negative things about three people that give so much back to Wingate????
Stacey E Lemmon

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

No I do Not talk "badly" about people ... I I set back and let their actions and "statements" speak for them ... I only mentioned that I had heard that the "Town Manager" had made some other "Bad Decisions" of late....
University Friend

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Stacey E Lemmon wrote:
No I do Not talk "badly" about people ... I I set back and let their actions and "statements" speak for them ... I only mentioned that I had heard that the "Town Manager" had made some other "Bad Decisions" of late....
Not you Stacey I was referring to the Maye Street citizen using funny farm and dizzy comments. I know the people they are talking about and it is hurtful to read these comments! I don't see you calling names in your comments.
Stacey E Lemmon

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

No good Sir ...I have benn the recipient of the "Name-calling"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Polkton Discussions

Search the Polkton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr Red Square 54,909
Investing in Marshville? Fri Main St Man 7
Town Manager Amanda Reid Fri Main St Man 45
welcome signs Fri Marshville Knight 4
STD epidemic Jul 9 muskie-dine 2
door to door begging Jul 8 Superman 3
Marshville Mayor having a movie made about him Jul 8 Tony Maye 16
•••
•••
•••
Polkton Dating

more search filters

less search filters