Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

There is a paving company working the area that will scam you. In Wingate they call themselves Uniformed Paving and Sealing Company. They come around and say they "have an extra load of asphalt" they can pave you driveway cheaply. One of my neighbors fell for this after she went and looked at one in College Park they did. It looked real good so she made a deal with them. They brought this equipment out and put down something that looked kind of like asphalt but it never got hard like real asphalt. It had some tar like stuff in it to stick it together but it didn't look right. She had already paid them and they were gone in a flash. Another neighbor called a man who works for Boggs paving Co. in Monroe who came and looked at it. He said it was made out of dirt, sand, ground up asphalt and tar. he said it might last a year or two but it would start getting thin and breaking up. Y'all watch out they are still around here taking peoples money. They are gypsy travelers from North Augusta, SC. who go all over scamming people.

“GeneRey@Juno.Com”

Since: May 07

Lockport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Judged:

Grove Park wrote:
There is a paving company working the area that will scam you. In Wingate they call themselves Uniformed Paving and Sealing Company. They come around and say they "have an extra load of asphalt" they can pave you driveway cheaply. One of my neighbors fell for this after she went and looked at one in College Park they did. It looked real good so she made a deal with them. They brought this equipment out and put down something that looked kind of like asphalt but it never got hard like real asphalt. It had some tar like stuff in it to stick it together but it didn't look right. She had already paid them and they were gone in a flash. Another neighbor called a man who works for Boggs paving Co. in Monroe who came and looked at it. He said it was made out of dirt, sand, ground up asphalt and tar. he said it might last a year or two but it would start getting thin and breaking up. Y'all watch out they are still around here taking peoples money. They are gypsy travelers from North Augusta, SC. who go all over scamming people.
I used to work in the business; I actually made asphalt. What you are describing sounds like "RAP" which is recylced asphalt. It's when roads are dug up or milled & taken to an asphalt plant where it is ground up & screened by a "crusher". That's those huge mountains you see near asphalt plants like say, along 485 in S. Charlotte; those "mountains" are ugly but worth MILLIONS of $$$. It will harden very similar to asphalt but won't last very long, although IF you were to put it down 3-4 inches thick, let the sun beat on it for a few days then compact it with a roller, it may indeed last years as a "residential driveway". There is no real "rock" content in it to support it's integrity under more than average weight as it, again, has been crushed.It is normally added to the asphalt mix design as "RAP", for it's liquid asphalt content (high dollar stuff). The stuff that that tanker truck leaked all over Hwy 74 a few years back in front Wilco-Hess was liquid asphalt. It's like tar but it is HIGH DOLLAR stuff. I used to call it the "glue". ANYONE why says they have a load "leftover" from a previous job is a gypsy. More than likely they stole it or bought it with cash in a half price cash / no sales ticket scam at at asphalt plant. We had these gypsies come in from Tenn, Ky, Ga, everywhere, but we would NOT deal with them. Best bet in and around Marshville is H&S Paving. I've made a lot of asphalt for him. He is honest, fair & does good work. ALWAYS check with the BBB about any contractor.

“GeneRey@Juno.Com”

Lockport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

PS: ALWAYS look at their tags too; if they are not NC, DON'T deal with them. IF they are legit, they should also have a company name & logo on their vehicles. You should call Carl at the MPD too so they can be on the watch for them!
NBI

Minot, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2012

They are going around here in North Dakota selling left over asphalt paving,and ripping people off! I think there must be 3 or 4 crews,Price paving is one that got my brother last year,and Mcdodald paving is another,I think using the name m&m and mike and martins?There is others named carrol,Gorman,Donahue, They have screwed alot of elderly people,and had work done on there trucks and had tires put on,Then they went with extra keys and took there trucks and never paid there bill,It went on a few years and the Ag now says he will be putting these guys behind bars.I will be glad to see justice served!
Clarifier

Waxhaw, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2012

Judged:

They got my parents and all their neighbors 2 years ago.
The roaming watcher

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

The Left over asphalt paving scam has went on for years here in North Dakota,The last 5 years have been real bad because of the irish travellers that has been coming thrue every year..Its time something has to be done,No matter what they say..Everyone has a 3 day right to recend,And if your over the age of 65 here in North Dakota they have 15 days to back out of any contracts that is signed by a door to door scam artist when they come to there homes..
Will be watching

Minot, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2012

Dont be to sure there not,There is several paving copmany already around North Dakota,We are needing to talk to some of these guys because they cant just come back and act like the things they done is ok.We are finding out what belongs to who.It isnt going to make alot of diffrence because so many things have been done wrong here.The things thats been done by atleast five comanys that has been coming to ND is not going to be swept under a rug.Thank you for trying to help.
Barbara Knox

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

They got my hairdresser. They used the old "We are working on a job close by and just happen to have a truckload of asphalt left over. We can do your driveway cheaply". They scraped her driveway then put down a thin layer of dark gray looking stuff that might be part ground up asphalt along with some sealer. Then they spread the rocks they had scraped up over the top and rolled it with a roller machine. It looks pretty good but it's thin and already coming apart on the edges. I don't know what they charged but they were gone in a flash. She likes her new driveway and hopes it will hold together but knows it probably won't last but a few years.
Hello

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

Barbara,your freind also might have got a chip seal driveway,If so it will have some loose gravel on it,But it the oil was sprayed on top it could be recycle asphalt,Either way the job is worth a certain amount of money depending on the method that was used,chip seal and recycle is not bad to have as long as the price was fair and the job was done decent,But before she complains she should find out what they put on her driveway,then just make sure the price was fair because any of the things talked about is better then having a driveway full of holes,The thing that kinda makes me wonder..is they told her leftover and that could meen she paid way to much and got a poor quality job?? You could call your local asphalt paving company and ask them,and they might stop by and give a opinion on the job,Good luck.
North Dakota paving scam

Minot, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2012

BEWARE OF THESE KIND OF SCAM ARTIST IN NORTH DAKOTA 2012
BEWARE OF ASPHALT PAVING SCAMS
Asphalt driveways can begin to look pretty worn and faded after a few harsh winters. And it is only natural for a
homeowner to want to get the restoration done as cheaply as possible. But as you concentrate on your home repair
projects this summer, beware of asphalt paving scam operators.
A traveling asphalt paving crew may notice your driveway and offer you a low-priced opportunity to revitalize it.
But a little bit of caution and common sense can help prevent serious problems.
The ability to hit and run is the key to a successful asphalt paving scam. Crews usually wander from one county or
community to another offering a driveway sealing service. Representatives of the crews typically approach
consumers in their yards, promising low estimates because of leftover materials from a completed job a few houses
away or on a nearby highway project.
They may offer a lifetime guarantee, but often the quality of the material used and application is inferior, and you
may soon have weeds growing through the new asphalt. Unfortunately, the paving crew is long gone by the time
you discover you have a problem. It may cost you more to redo the driveway after the fresh look washes away with
the next rain shower.
Another way to spot a possible scam is an offer to do the work without a written contract. Without a written
contract, the original low estimate may grow to hundreds or even thousands of dollars once the work is completed.
Reffgorja

Newport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2012

Judged:

you get what you pay for nothings free in this world. If you want grade A performance then you should've went down to the blacktop plant then you WOULD be bitching about how much money you got robbed out of. Cheapskates

“Proud to be Yankee”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2012

Judged:

Reffgorja wrote:
You are all racist retards.just because one gypsy does it doesn't mean they all do. Work on getting a brain before you work on getting someone put in jail just because you were stupid. toodles shmucks
"Racist"??????? How does that play into this???????
Beth

Minot, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2012

All the paving scammers are the same,they always say there is only a few bad onesand the rest are good lol,BS They are all crooks just trying to empty your pocketbook!I know because my neighbors and i just spent about 55k with these guys who wont answer the phone now!But the law has there eye on them and wil get them soon:)
johnhamhock

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

They came to my house trying to sell me some "left over asphalt" for my driveway. I told them, NO. Then I asked Jody Stegall about it, he said that what they were doing was taking the scraped up pavement that was coming off hwy 74 that was being repaved, grind it up and spread it out and roll it down, and that it wasnt worth a damn. Some of my neighbors bought it, and their drives look worse now than my gravel driveway!
Stacey E Lemmon

Wingate, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

I guess I am "lucky" ...I have no money to be "scammed" out of in the first place...
Kelly

Albemarle, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

Reffgorja wrote:
You are all racist retards.just because one gypsy does it doesn't mean they all do. Work on getting a brain before you work on getting someone put in jail just because you were stupid. toodles shmucks
They all do it, that's why they're called gypsies!!!!!!!

“GeneRey@Juno.Com”

Lockport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>They all do it, that's why they're called gypsies!!!!!!!
Exactly!
Kelly

Albemarle, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Thank goodness your grandma had the sense to call the police!!!!!i
Big kory

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

You know you don't have to think that everyone's a scam artist but if you pay for a good job you expect a good job but if you pay half price you get half done job it's not who does it it's what u pay don't go cheap on driveway or home inproment work
mushdogger

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Yous don't have a clue . You all go for the cheapest price and you push for the cheapest too. Never go for the the cheapest price. And ask who they have done work for in the past and ck it out if you like .And believe it or not there is always leaft over asphalt and you try to sell cheap to get it off the truck. Everyone is just trying to get by and like all lines of work there's always bad one. Best of luck in the future .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Polkton Discussions

Search the Polkton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 10 min Waco 1909 56,322
outdoor art 2 hr Dauphine Eggers 3
Man arrested after flipping off deputy at crime... 5 hr Dauphine Eggers 2
STD epidemic 20 hr Tracy little 9
Do it yourself teeth whitening (May '10) Jul 24 luvnut 21
Editer of Home newspaper Jul 23 whowhat 2
welcome signs Jul 20 luvnut 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Polkton Jobs

•••