First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pookie - Marshville

Indian Trail, NC

#1 Jun 1, 2014
Let's start up Jeopardy conversation again. Really enjoyed that one.

Where is the oldest house in Marshville and it's history?

Who is the oldest person in Marshville? Let' hear some of the old stories.

What was here then that is really missed?
JohnHamhock

Peachland, NC

#2 Jun 2, 2014
I dont know about inside the city limits but I have heard that the Buren Little house out about 3 miles on olive branch road is the oldest around Marshville. The house sits across the street from what was Pruitt Phifers store.

Supposedly the oldest house in the county is the Hazel Giles place on Ansonville road. Mr Giles told me that the land had been in the family since it was granted to them by some queen. Queen Anne?
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#3 Jun 2, 2014
The "Jim Lee" house is said to be the oldest house in Marshville town limits. It is what is called a "section house" design. It is located behind Griffin Staton Insurance. A date on the chimney says 1896. According to an old letter workers building the house were paid 25ยข a day which was a good wage in those days. Jim Lee was a teacher at the Marshville Academy meeting at the Baptist Church (before state supported education came to Marshville.

The oldest person Is Bea Colson
Pookie -Marshville

Indian Trail, NC

#4 Jun 3, 2014
How old is she?

Where is the oldest business in Marshville?

Who was the last person housed in our LOCAL Jail?
What did they do?

Why don't we change our sign to something with color on it? We could refer to our original strengths. We have a best pitmaster living locally. BBQ could be brought in as a contest.

Who has the largest farm in Marshville? Who had the most children? Who had the first ca
Pookie -Marshville

Indian Trail, NC

#5 Jun 3, 2014
Who had the first car?(sorry, it posted too quickly)

Who had the first store? Where?
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#6 Jun 4, 2014
The oldest person I remember was Mr. Buck Mills. I don't know exactly how old he was but he was well into his 90s when Bobby Griffin had the Regional News and he lived several years after that. I remember Mr. Buck would talk about he and other boys jumping on the train in Marshville and hanging on for dear life while it sped through Wingate into Monroe. then they would jump off before they got caught and go to the movies.

Mr Buck Mills played the fiddle and got so good at it that he played with a string band and got invited to play at churches for weddings and funerals. This was back in the 1920s and 1930s. He said one night he played at a dance in Albemarle and a man came and told him he would pay him $10 to play one song in a microphone so they could make it a record. Mr Buck didn't know anything about business but $10 was like a fortune during those days so he said he would do it. They recorded him playing and gave him $10. He said about a year later he was listening to the radio at Mr. Stegall's Store and he heard himself playing the song he recorded. Come to find out the man who made the record sold it to a record company for two hundred dollars. the record company made so many records they made thousands of dollars.

Mr Buck said he went to work at Cannon Mills in Kannapolis making a dollar for a 12 hour workday. They would work 6 days from 8 in the morning to 8 at night and get $6. Things were a lot cheaper back then so he said it was enough to live on and some left over. He said he and 2 other men took turns driving an old beat up jalopy with bald tires from Marshville to Kannapolis. sometimes they would run into a ditch or slide off the road and would have to find a farmer with mules or horses to pull them out. One time the brakes gave out and they rolled into Kannapolis just missing wrecking with a police car but ran into an ambulance that was behind it. They weren't going very fast so nobody got hurt but they tore up both the ambulance and their car. That night they had to walk all the way back to Marshville. Mr. Buck said after that he always made sure he had good brakes on his car.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jun 4, 2014
When I came back to Marshville after the Korean "conflict" the little town was busy. All the store buildings in town were occupied. There were more back then but the buildings have been torn down. The railroad depot was busy and a bus ran back and forth every day going to Monroe and Charlotte.

I lost a friend who signed up the same time I did for the army. He was killed at Puchon by an artillery shell that came in during the night and hit the tents. Those poor boys never knew what hit them. One second peaceful sleep, the next eternal sleep. He was from Kernersville, NC. He was just an old farm boy. When we were at Fort Bragg before going overseas we would come to Marshville on leave. I fixed him up with a cute little Marshville gal and they were a good couple. They went to dances all around here and had a big time. The weekend before we were to ship out he proposed to her and she said yes. They were so happy. He told her they would get married as soon as he got back stateside. He wrote her every day I think and she him. When the letters stopped she sent me one. I didn't know of his death so I told her he was probably being moved toward the front and didn't have time. She found out from his parents. So sad. She was heartbroken. She was down in the dumps for 2 years and hardly went out to a picture show. She went to church but that was about it. Her mama made her go visit her cousins in Charlotte and she went out with them and soon was much better. She married a man who owned a store in Pineville and had a bunch of kids, all boys. The first one carried the name of her fiance who was killed.

My cousin Jerry who lived in Lilesville had a big old mule named Max. Max had worked every inch of their farm and was a senior citizen when Jerry sort of adopted him. He had been retired because he was so old. He moved real slow, probably arthritis or rhumatism and he was prone to coughing fits so bad you thought he couldn't draw a breath. Jerry would get on his back say "school" and Max would take him to the schoolhouse. Jerry didn't have a saddle or reins. When recess came the little kids would want to climb on Max's back and go for a ride around the schoolyard. Max didn't move very fast so it generally wasn't a problem. One day a boy who was a bully pushed all the other kids off of Max and said he was going on a "Cowboy ride". He pulled out a Hickory switch and started to swing it on Max's backside but before he could Max rared up and threw the kid high up into the sky. Jerry and the others ran out to see if the boy was alright because it was a nasty fall. The boy got up and said he wasn't done riding but when he went to get on Max, old Max tuned and charged him and chased him around the schoolyard. That boy never went near Max again.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#8 Jun 5, 2014
Right after I got married my wife and I lived in an old house on Shady Lane owned by Jack Marsh. It was in bad shape. It was drafty and cold in the winter and hotter than a flat iron in the summer. They had taken in the back porch to make a bathroom and it was close to falling in. If you sat on the toilet you felt like, any minute you would fall through the floor. Rent was $7 a month and Jack would be on the doorstep on the last day of the month when I got home from work waiting for his money. Now,$7 these days ain't hardly nothing but back then it was about a weeks pay. Compare that to today. A sorry old house will cost anywhere from $500-$600 a month which is about one week's pay.

So, it is about the same.
Pookie - Marshville

Indian Trail, NC

#9 Jun 5, 2014
Thanks for the great backgrounds. Please keep the stories coming.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#10 Jun 5, 2014
My wife was raised near Cason's Old Store in Anson County or as she likes to call it, 50 miles from nowhere. She comes from a big family. There were 6 boys and 3 girls. They had a big farm. They worked the land there and rented more land to work. Everybody worked on the family farm. They raised cotton, corn, soybeans and cane. They had milk cows, hogs, mules and chickens they had to take care of. My wife learned to drive driving a Farmall tractor when she was 12. She plowed with a mule when she was 9 years old. She slopped the hogs, fed the chickens and gathered eggs when she was just a little girl. My daddy-in-law was a hard working man. He went at it full speed from dawn to past sunset hardly taking a break. If you worked with him you did the same or he would fire you in a heartbeat. He didn't put up with laziness. I picked cotton for him one summer and he liked to have killed me. He picked more than any of the hired hands. All of the boys come up working their tails off trying to keep up with their daddy. When the parents passed they all got together and decided to sell the farm to a big farming company. The boys were good fellows. Two of them are still farming. One has a big farm in Georgia and one farms near Clemmons NC. The youngest boy is a preacher in Tennessee. The others got as far away from farming as they could. One is an undertaker and owns a funeral home somewhere in Colorado. The other two are retired, one from the Navy and the other from the government. All 3 of the girls married and settled in Union and Anson counties. They are still close sisters to this very day, visit regularly and go to church together.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#11 Jun 6, 2014
"Cason's Old Field!" my wife said angrily. "There really was a Mr. Cason way back in history who owned thousands of acres. The "old field" was about 200 acres and was on the road so. the postman called it Cason's Old Field Road
All Country

Matthews, NC

#12 Jun 6, 2014
Have gone thru that area for years. Had always wondered why it was called Cason's Old Field. Thanks!
NoBS

Charlotte, NC

#13 Jun 8, 2014
Elm Street Visionary.....please write more. I love reading your posts. You should write for the paper. Then the paper would have something interesting to read.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#14 Jun 8, 2014
I don't know about you boys and girls but when I was coming up I asked a lot of questions. They usually started out "How come?" You don't hear that much these days. It was the country way back then. I was awfully proud of being a country boy. I still am.

"Daddy, how come some of the stars flicker and other 'ns glow steady?"

During the summer there was "pickin' time". In the fall there would be "hog killin' time". In the winter it was "fixin' time" and in the spring "plantin' time". It seemed like we were the busiest people anywhere around. There was always something to do. If we were lazy or standing around doing nothing Mama would say "Idle hands make idle minds. An idle mind is the devil's playground" and then she would put us to work.

We lived within sight of the elementary schoolhouse so we walked to and from school. I don't remember but one school bus and it was driven by a high school student. Most of the kids walked. Some of the mamas would walk with their kids.

One year, around Halloween, my brother found an old scary monster mask. He knew if mama found it she would skin him alive so he hid it in the barn. We would go out and look at it every now and then. One morning he got it and put it in his book satchel because one of his buddies wanted to trade a yo-yo for it. About half way to school was Miss Evelyn's yard with a big hedge facing the road. My brother decided to hide in the hedge, put the mask on and jump out and scare some of the girls coming up the road. I'm glad I wasn't with him! He jumped out and they screamed and ran. when they realized who it was they got mad and chased him. One girl was raised with older brothers and she knew how to fight. She grabbed my brother and wore him out. he was yelling "uncle-uncle" and she kept wailing away. She just about knocked him out! he ended up with a cut lip and a black eye. When he showed up at school the teacher took him to the wash room and cleaned him up. She asked him to tell who he was fighting with but he wouldn't.
Taxpayer

Indian Trail, NC

#15 Jun 8, 2014
Until you said your wife was from Cason's Old Field, yes it is field, not store, although there was a store there, I thought I knew who you were. I guess I will just keep guessing. And that just might be a part of ya'll's history I am unaware of.:) Love these kinds of posts. I love hearing old Marshville stories.

Like when the teenage boys tied a rope to the rear axle of the police car and tied it to a pole and then sped down Main Street and squealed tires, and Jack Dutton came out and jumped in the car to chase them and pulled the axle out from under the police car. I think that happened in the early to mid 60's. The perpetrator was telling me about it within the last year, I thought it was so funny, I remember hearing about it, though I was pretty young at the time.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#16 Jun 9, 2014
My wife and I got to talking about old times in Marshville last night and she kept bringing up Dr. Bolt. I must be the only person in this town who never went to Dr. Bolt. Mama would carry my brother and I to Monroe to see Dr. McCloud. When I was in 5th grade one of the Griffin boys came to school acting kind of poorly and looking worse. Our teacher that year was Miss Bivens. She took one look at that boy and knew he was running a fever so she took him to the office. To make a long story short he had the measles and it ran through Marshville school for the next 3 weeks. Everybody from teachers, janitor and the students came down with the measles. They even thought about closing the school because there would be so many absences. My brother was the first one in our family who got them. He had red spots all over his face and body. He felt so weak that he could hardly bear to get up to go to the bathroom. Mama wouldn't let me near him thinking I would catch it. It didn't matter because I came down with them when my brother started getting well. His case was a lot worse than mine. I didn't have much fever, he did. He had red spots all over. I just had them mainly on my face and back. He had a lot of muscle aches. I never did. One day right after I came down with them Dr. Bolt came to our house. He had heard that we had measles in the house. He was the Union County Health Doctor at the time and he could put a quarantine sign on the door. If your house was quarantined nobody could come or go. Daddy needed to go to work every day so he sure didn't want that! Anyway Dr. Bolt didn't quarantine us but there were some houses around Marshville that were.

One more story about Miss Bivens. I can close my eyes and remember how she looked. She always wore dark dresses and her hair would be in a bun on the back of her head. She didn't wear makeup at all. She was a very prim and proper lady and, bless her heart, she tried to teach us boys manners and courtesy as well as arithmetic and grammar. If you did something she didn't like she would give you the "death stare" and you knew the next time it would be the paddle.

We would play ball at recess. There was a rough old boy in our class named Bruce Coan. Bruce had failed a couple of grades so he was older and bigger than the rest of us. He wasn't dumb but he didn't care much for school and would skip if he got the chance. He did like baseball and playing at recess is one of the things that kept him coming to Miss Bivens' 5th grade that year. We all thought Bruce would play for the Yankees or Dodgers one day. He could hit the ball a mile. He could pitch. He could play anywhere on the field. Bruce liked his chewing tobacco. He would put in a chaw when we went out for recess. Sometimes he would forget to spit it out before coming back into the school building. Miss Bivens would see him and ask "Bruce, what do you have in your mouth?" Bruce would say "nothin' Miss lady" and Miss Bivens would say "Well, run to the restroom and spit 'nothin' out".

She knew how to deal with Bruce. She had used the "death stare" and the paddle and neither worked.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#17 Sep 27, 2014
If you are from Marshville you know a bunch of Griffins. Some have moved off but there are still a bunch here. The Griffin name goes way back in Marshville history. At one time the town was called Griffinville. If you look "Griffin" up in your Webster's Dictionary you will see a picture of a mythical creature called a Griffin. It had the body of a lion and the head and wings of a eagle. One day several years ago I went into Griffin Furniture and they had a statue of a Griffin. I got to kidding them about it and old Mr Griffin didn't take to it real well. He told me I could leave any time, meaning right now. He was walking me toward the door and it occurred to me that he was mad and throwing me out. Doing some quick thinking I sat down in a great big fancy easy chair before he could and started talking about how nice it was and how the price was real good. Well, old Griffin forgot all about being mad and became the furniture salesman again. He went on and on about how well made the chair was and how you couldn't find one for 2 times the money in Monroe or Charlotte and if I paid cash they would deliver and set it up anywhere I wanted that afternoon. I told him I would talk to my wife and get her to come look at it to see if it would fit our decor (which was early junk and Goodwill reject).

I used to pick at Mr Hill the same way but he never got mad at me. In fact he offered me a job at his store one time but I didn't take it. Back around 1959 there was a little old man everybody called Buzzsaw that hung around Hill's. If he ever struck a lick nobody knew it. He just kind of hung around. Mr Hill would shoo him away from leaning up against the wall outside his store every now and then so old Buzzsaw would move down to Stegalls and squat down and watch the cars going by. One day somebody noticed old Buzzsaw wasn't on the street and they sent somebody to look for him. They found him dead in his little shack over by the tracks. To make a long story short old Buzzsaw had a family in Greensboro nobody knew about and owned a bunch of property up there.
Reader

Mooresville, NC

#18 Sep 27, 2014
Elm Street Visionary, Our household loves reading your stories!!
Thank you for taking the time to share them and taking us on a
trip through some great memories!!
Those were good times here!
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#19 Sep 28, 2014
Marshville and the area around it has always had a lot of horses and mules. As late as the early 1950s there were horses and mules in town. It wasn't uncommon to see horses pulling a wagon or someone riding a horse in town back then. There were stables and horse traders still doing business just outside of town. If you had a garden you wanted plowed and worked up you could always find someone with a mule to do it for a dollar or less. There were working horses and riding horses, ponies, mules, donkeys Jacks and Jennies.

My brothers and I would go to Blair theater on Saturday morning to see the cowboy movies if the projector wasn't broken. I think it cost a dime to get in which was almost half of my allowance. We were sure that when we grew up we would be like Roy Rogers, Gene Autry or Sunset Carson. For Christmas we always asked Santa to bring us cowboy outfits, holsters, guns and chaps. We listened to cowboy shows on the radio and sent off the boxtops to our cereal for sheriff badges and secret decoder rings. We would get sticks from the scrap pile at the sawmill, straddle them and pretend they were our horses. We rode all over Marshville on our stick horses, in our cowboy outfits shooting our cap guns and yelling "Hi-yo Silver away"!

Mr. Collins, up the road from us had an old plow horse named Jack that he kept in a shed in his back yard. Jack was pretty much retired from doing anything except cutting up a few gardens every spring. We would go up there and Mr Collins would let us sit on old Jack while he led him around the yard. One day my oldest brother decided to go for a ride on Jack when Mr. Collins wasn't home. he managed to get a halter on Old Jack and climbed on without a saddle. Across the yard they went very slowly and down the gravel road beside the Collins' house. Without a bit and bridle Jack could go wherever he wanted to go, no matter how hard my brother pulled and tugged on the halter rope. Jack decided he wanted to eat grass at the Baptist Church, and he did. My brother pulled the rope and slapped old Jack's hindquarters but it did no good. Jack decided to go down the road and eat some flowers in somebody's yard but before he left he left a deposit of horse apples on the sidewalk in front of the church. After a few minutes my brother decided to jump down and lead Jack back to Mr Collins' place before he got home and discovered Old Jack missing. Jack must have liked those flowers a lot because my brother could not pull him away so he tied Jack's rope to the front porch column of the ladies house and lit out for home as if nothing had happened. He would have gotten away with it but he had been seen by the wife of the Baptist preacher. She called daddy who immediately cut a switch and went looking for my brother. Mr Collins retrieved Old Jack from the neighbors porch and had a good laugh watching my brother clean up the sidewalk in front of the church.
Elm Street Visionary

Charlotte, NC

#20 Sep 29, 2014
My brother got baptized when he was 12 and created problems for the rest of us kids as soon as he did. If any of us did anything that he didn't like he would pull out his little pocket edition bible and read us some scripture. What he read didn't always match up with the particular sin he was accusing us of either. If mama or daddy got mad with him for not doing his chores out would come that little bible and he would start reading to them too. At first, they were so happy that he chose to be baptized that they took it easy on him. He loved it. He could get away with just about anything. After a few months he decided that he was going to be a preacher and made a big show of telling everybody. He began carrying a regular sized bible around with him and when the mood struck him he would open it up and start reading. Sometimes he would get happy, jump up waving his bible and yell out "Praise the Lord". The adults around Marshville were mightily impressed. They were quick to point out that the Lord sure worked in miraculous ways by saving my brother who previously had a rather sullied reputation.

My brother was not a particularly good student and his laziness and lack of homework prompted a visit to see Mr. Walters, the principal who knew a lot more bible verses than my brother did. After several visits to see Mr. Walters about not doing his schoolwork, my brother got into some kind of mischief at recess one day. Mr. Walters quoted the verse in the bible about sparing the rod and spoiling the child while pulling a big paddle out of his desk drawer. He didn't paddle him but my brother sure did get the message! He started doing his schoolwork and quit using the bible as an excuse to get out of doing his chores.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Polkton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I grew up in Marshville May 26 luvnut 7
Post Office May 13 Downtowner 1
Poll Should the old MaLeck building in Wingate be ra... (Nov '09) May 13 Billy Braswell 43
With the bypass coming, is it time for Marshvil... May 9 Haywood U Buzzoff 1
Murder on Lanesboro Road (Aug '12) Apr '16 Brittney Clemmons 11
What are they building.... Apr '16 Dauphine Eggers 3
El Vallarte (Aug '15) Apr '16 luvnut 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Polkton Mortgages