Lost

Wheeling, WV

#41 Jan 20, 2011
Oh my goodness! I remember lurch. I remember sneeking up stairs to the quiet room too.Also in those bands were. Ed Mc Dermitt and a black guy named Willie ,, I thought there was 2 different bands cause JC Hall, played drums and sang and Ed McDermitt also played the drums and Dee Thevin would sing .. WOW !! We sure didn't set home and play video games!!
Old Cop

Point Pleasant, WV

#42 Jan 20, 2011
remember wrote:
<quoted text>I remember lurch LOL..He didn't see everything that went on but he was scary :)
Yep... Scary and darned persistent at times too.:)
Old Cop

Point Pleasant, WV

#43 Jan 20, 2011
Lost wrote:
Oh my goodness! I remember lurch. I remember sneeking up stairs to the quiet room too.Also in those bands were. Ed Mc Dermitt and a black guy named Willie ,, I thought there was 2 different bands cause JC Hall, played drums and sang and Ed McDermitt also played the drums and Dee Thevin would sing .. WOW !! We sure didn't set home and play video games!!
Yep... "Big Ed". I had forgot about the black guy "Willie" until I read this... His last name escapes me... It wasn't Wally was it as in Wally & Tiny Smith? I think they played some music too but it mighta been a few years before this. When I was in high school you had "Froc Morton" maybe another group called "Window"...
Lostintime

Ravenswood, WV

#44 Jan 20, 2011
Willie Lewis was the black guy that was in the band. Wally Smith may have also played under the fire station. Bomber was always there, every Saturday night that it was opened. Froc Morton ? Was that the band that Rocky Thompson was in?
Lostintime

Ravenswood, WV

#45 Jan 20, 2011
There was another phamacy on main street, it was in the four hundred block. It was called City Phamacy. It was owned by Jack Fruth and Bill Hockenbery worked there. Anyone remember that one. Right beside of Franklin's shoe store. How about the old Moore's store in the three hundred block. You could buy anything you needed for your bike or your car at that store. Are you old enough to remember the old feed store that was tore down beside of the Meat Market to allow room to build the building where the Moore's store was located?
Old Cop

Point Pleasant, WV

#46 Jan 20, 2011
Lostintime wrote:
Willie Lewis was the black guy that was in the band. Wally Smith may have also played under the fire station. Bomber was always there, every Saturday night that it was opened. Froc Morton ? Was that the band that Rocky Thompson was in?
Yes... Rocky Thompson, Mike Dalton... Ty Somerville was in a group but not sure which one... I remember Andy Park was in Window. Keith "Dusty" Durst was a drummer but not sure which group he played with. Then there was Staffhouse Road but I think all of these were after when the bands played under the City Building.
Ralph

Letart, WV

#47 Jan 20, 2011
Lost wrote:
I remember Big Ed playing the drums. Is it true that the Big Ed hamburger at Harris' steak house was named after him? Is he still alive?
Old Cop

Point Pleasant, WV

#48 Jan 20, 2011
Lostintime wrote:
There was another phamacy on main street, it was in the four hundred block. It was called City Phamacy. It was owned by Jack Fruth and Bill Hockenbery worked there. Anyone remember that one. Right beside of Franklin's shoe store. How about the old Moore's store in the three hundred block. You could buy anything you needed for your bike or your car at that store. Are you old enough to remember the old feed store that was tore down beside of the Meat Market to allow room to build the building where the Moore's store was located?
No I don't remember the feed store but I sure remember Moore's... Chuck Harmon's Dad worked there I think. I don't remember "City Pharmacy" but that would have been before Jack Fruth began his chain with the original store (when was it built?) still at 25th & Jackson... I remember Bill Hockenbery's at 25th & Jackson...
Old Cop

Point Pleasant, WV

#49 Jan 20, 2011
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>I remember Big Ed playing the drums. Is it true that the Big Ed hamburger at Harris' steak house was named after him? Is he still alive?
I dunno on both questions but wondered myself if he was still around...
Lostintime

Ravenswood, WV

#50 Jan 20, 2011
Greg Rickard also played with Froc Morton as I recall. I do believe that the Big Ed burger was named after Big Ed McDermitt. As far as I know Big Ed is still alive, I have heard nothing about anything to the contrare. Did any of you guys play ball in the Pt. Pleasant Little League, if so what teams?
Old Cop

Point Pleasant, WV

#51 Jan 20, 2011
Anyone remember the "Golden Gloves" fights every year at the high school gym??? I remember my Dad used to take me every year and the winners advanced to the next level in Huntington... Was mentioning Big Ed McDermitt and that reminded me of the year he won here locally and went on to Huntington... I was just a young kid but remember Dad and I going to Huntington... If I remember right it was only a few seconds into the first round that a black fighter chilled Big Ed with one punch... The eyes tilted and then he wilted...:) I think a lot if not most of the local fighters here fought out of the Beach Athletic Club.

I think Big Ed was also on that Big Blacks '69 undefeated football squad too... Along with Greg Clayton, Mike Stearns just to name a couple... I was still in grade school then...
Proud point girl

United States

#52 Jan 20, 2011
I also remember tinys drive in where village pizza is now and Charlie browns where subway is. The old pphs and having open campus lunch. Anyone remember Big Daddys? I went to the old north point school it was awesome. Ace High music was across from it. Remember the shop a minute on 22nd street. Anyone remember over on Lincoln ave there was a little store in the 23rd block across from the mission school? I am not sure what the name of it was but the lady's name was Mary and we always bought candy there. I remember a gas station on Jackson across from the floodwall.
Lostintime

Ravenswood, WV

#53 Jan 20, 2011
Old Cop wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't remember the feed store but I sure remember Moore's... Chuck Harmon's Dad worked there I think. I don't remember "City Pharmacy" but that would have been before Jack Fruth began his chain with the original store (when was it built?) still at 25th & Jackson... I remember Bill Hockenbery's at 25th & Jackson...
The Fruth's started up town in the fifties, City Pharmacy was about 66-67. And yes, Chuck's Dad did work there for years. His name was Pete, I believe.
Lostintime

Ravenswood, WV

#54 Jan 20, 2011
Proud point girl wrote:
I also remember tinys drive in where village pizza is now and Charlie browns where subway is. The old pphs and having open campus lunch. Anyone remember Big Daddys? I went to the old north point school it was awesome. Ace High music was across from it. Remember the shop a minute on 22nd street. Anyone remember over on Lincoln ave there was a little store in the 23rd block across from the mission school? I am not sure what the name of it was but the lady's name was Mary and we always bought candy there. I remember a gas station on Jackson across from the floodwall.
Mary Holley and her husband ran the store. Bought a many bottles of pop from that little store !
Ralph

Letart, WV

#55 Jan 20, 2011
Old Cop wrote:
Anyone remember the "Golden Gloves" fights every year at the high school gym??? I remember my Dad used to take me every year and the winners advanced to the next level in Huntington... Was mentioning Big Ed McDermitt and that reminded me of the year he won here locally and went on to Huntington... I was just a young kid but remember Dad and I going to Huntington... If I remember right it was only a few seconds into the first round that a black fighter chilled Big Ed with one punch... The eyes tilted and then he wilted...:) I think a lot if not most of the local fighters here fought out of the Beach Athletic Club.
I think Big Ed was also on that Big Blacks '69 undefeated football squad too... Along with Greg Clayton, Mike Stearns just to name a couple... I was still in grade school then...
If I am not mistaken, that 1969 class was the biggest class Point Pleasant Highschool ever had. It was like 300+ people. Those were better times and we'll probably never have times like that again. There is nothing here for jobs for people to raise and family and people have to leave.
Old Guy

Letart, WV

#56 Jan 20, 2011
Proud point girl wrote:
I used to eat lunch at shop a minute at PPHS. I also wrestled against Charleston High School that doesn't exist any more.
Proud point girl

United States

#57 Jan 20, 2011
Yes Mary Holley!!!
Lostintime

Ravenswood, WV

#58 Jan 20, 2011
Big Ed was definantly on the undefeated 69 team. He was listed at 6-1 and 185 lbs if my memory serves me correct. What a hitter. Here's a few more names of that team. Dewayne Greer, Dirk Jackson, Reed Blain, Rick Roberts, Clarence Clonch, Joe Dickens
Old Cop

Point Pleasant, WV

#59 Jan 21, 2011
Proud point girl wrote:
I remember the open campus lunch with Walt's hotdogs and if you drove to school you could go over to Larry's on N Main for a darn good cheeseburger... I think the gas station you mean was Bob Lewis' between the bridge below Crow-Hussell & the floodwall??? I also remember the store but not it's name on Lincoln... I grew up just up the street from there...:)
Lostintime

Ravenswood, WV

#60 Jan 21, 2011
Old Cop wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the open campus lunch with Walt's hotdogs and if you drove to school you could go over to Larry's on N Main for a darn good cheeseburger... I think the gas station you mean was Bob Lewis' between the bridge below Crow-Hussell & the floodwall??? I also remember the store but not it's name on Lincoln... I grew up just up the street from there...:)
We were probably neighbors ! Did you go to North Point and live close to Ordnance ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Point Pleasant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carrie Henry 1 hr omg really 12
*add a word/ drop a word (May '13) 2 hr _FLATLINE-------- 2,148
Who's the baddest man in Mason County? 2 hr Nick 13
Keep a word-drop a word (Jul '14) 2 hr Princess Hey 676
~Word Association~ (Jan '12) 2 hr Princess Hey 3,853
Three Words Only... (Sep '12) 2 hr Princess Hey 4,075
**Any Word** (Jan '12) 2 hr Crazy Jae 3,569
More from around the web

Point Pleasant People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE