Marijuana and Jerry Garcia; My Letter...

Marijuana and Jerry Garcia; My Letter Published

Posted in the Point MacKenzie Forum

Bruce Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#1 Aug 22, 2014
Although the Oregonian (Portland) never published a similar letter submission of mine (and the moderator here removed this letter [below] last week), the Astorian (Oregon) newspaper published it today:

Letter: False premise

Published:

August 22, 2014 8:06AM

Bruce Deile re marijuana

Colorado and Washington’s tax revenue windfall following their legalizing “recreational” marijuana establishes a false premise that legalizing a harmful psychotropic drug prone to abuse is needed.

Noam Chomsky explains:“... the U.S. tax and transfer system creates a 28.5 percent reduction in the poverty rate whereas all other industrialized countries decrease poverty rates by between 60 and 80 per cent, the only exceptions being Britain, Australia and Canada, whose tax and transfer programs still reduce poverty rates by approximately 50 per cent.”(Understanding Power, Chapter 10; footnote 28).

Jerry Garcia, of the folk/rock band The Grateful Dead, once said (regarding voting Democrat or Republican):“If you’re choosing the lesser of two evils, you’re still choosing evil.” That applies to the alcohol/marijuana comparison as well, since Garcia, after years of glorifying substance abuse, died of a heart attack in a rehab center attempting to overcome heroin – a drug he quite likely did not start out with on his psychedelic journey.

Bruce Deile

Astoria
Bruce Deile

Mount Vernon, WA

#2 Aug 22, 2014
Yakima? I've been in Bellingham most recently.
CB Deile

Bellingham, WA

#3 Sep 4, 2014
Just posted 10 hours ago on jean-marie puigmal (YouTube) channel:

Jocelyne Jocya "Pour peu qu'on m'aime"

--great photo's with that one; there are other Jocelyne Jocya videos posted only a few hours ago on that channel as well...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Point MacKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brian Weslow and Kacey Adams 4 hr tell it like it is 3
Sylvie Vartan 10 hr Chris Deile 8
Wonderful Pessimist Jesus 11 hr Chris Deile 73
News Donald Trump campaign unveils Alaska supporters... Sun Vote God 3
Review: Zipperer Medical Group (Feb '15) Aug 26 Aurora storm 4
Last Post Wins!!! (Apr '11) Aug 25 Red_Forman 2,612
alaska sucks! (Sep '09) Aug 16 htjooker 57

Point MacKenzie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance