Eurovision (Michele Torr, Margot Eskens, et al)

Posted in the Point MacKenzie Forum

Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#2 Jun 27, 2013
For the past 4-5 years have been more enamored with 1960's San Remo Festival videos than Eurovision, but hadn't given Eurovision much of a chance. Just these three videos alone (posted above) are a real treasure trove.
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#3 Jun 27, 2013
Found the following online; the online translation for the song is "Hands of a Clock"; the lyrics, as explained here, refer to the "hands of time":

"Die Zeiger der Uhr" was the German entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 1966, performed in German by Margot Eskens. The song was performed first on the night, preceding Denmark's Ulla Pia with "Stop - mens legen er go'". It received 7 points, placing 10th in a field of 18. The song is a ballad, with Eskens singing about the feelings brought on by reading old love letters and seeing photographs from an old relationship. As she explains, however, "The hands of time only turn/Forwards, forwards and never backwards". It was succeeded as German representative at the 1967 contest by Inge Brck with "Anouschka". Wikipedia
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#4 Jun 27, 2013
Online translation of lyrics:

Michele Torr "Ce Soir Je T'Attendais"

The wind may well shake the branches
On the street the flaps are closed
On a white tablecloth
Some roses bend
On a canopy erected for two
The melody that you prefer
Rests on the edge of the piano
Everything is ready I hope
I have nothing more to do
That opening because I hear your step
And you are but am not surprised air

Chorus:
Because I knew and I was waiting for you
Tonight I was waiting for you
I was so sure that you would come
Yes I knew and I was waiting for you
Find more similar lyrics on http://mp3lyrics.com/hbsgI had reason to hope for you

We have made much trouble
It is left for a few words
It's ancient history
I know you love me
This is why I watched your steps
And I am here before you
For the arm
to the chorus

To keep you all never
Tonight I expect you!
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#5 Jun 27, 2013
Michele Torr's English version of Ce Soir Je T'Attendais is titled differently w/different lyrics, but is quite good. It's called "Only Tears Are Left For Me"; a video of it is on YouTube.
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#6 Jun 27, 2013
When first finding Margo Eskens "Die Zeiger der Uhr" the other day, thought a French version would be nice to soften I. But hadn't learned the meaning until today (posted above). Now I understand it's being in German in central to the songs meaning. When she's saying "forward, forward" ("The hands of time only turn/Forwards, forwards and never backwards") it just completely rends my heart. As though she is simultaneously saying "it's over, it's over",(or "order, order" in its fascist sense) after expressing compassion when slowly moving her head from side to side when saying the hands of time never turn backwards. It's ruthless. And so necessary to anyone who still has longing in their heart for love long lost. Like as though to say the hands of the clock don't care about things of the heart; fascism; lock step; the hands keep right on turning.

It made me cry, and it feels so much better having done so. But the song forces you to face the truth that the love is in the past and not in present or future tense. Cruel, but if you don't face it the wound never heals. I'm guessing. Still have dreams about a girl I haven't seen in over 25 years. They're almost always tormented. Hopefully this song helps in a cathartic way to accept the pain that never goes away.

Brought to mind too the 1920's dystopian novel 'We' by Evgeney Zamyatin. In it the central character, attempting to live by a rigid, fascist order has a breakdown when faced with the "square root of minus one"--it requires faith in an imaginary system of numbers to solve. Which torments the character because it doesn't make sense to him...in his ordered universe faith and imagination don't exist--everything has an answer--all can be solved. But the square root of minus one presents to him a clock whose hands no longer move forward systematically.
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#7 Jun 27, 2013
Reposting post #1--someone removed it, as you can see when viewing this thread--it now starts out with post #2 as post #1 no longer exists. They play games here unfortunately.

Here's the original post, hoipe it stays up here:

Just found another dynamite Eurovision performance--this one from 1961:

ESC-Jugoslawien Ljiljana Petrović-Neke davne zvezde (1961)

video by EuroRainbow

Finally figured it out:

Michele Torr's "Ce Soir Je T'Attendais" 1966 Eurovision, and Margot Eskens "Die Zeiger Der Uhr" 1966 Eurovision are two of my favorites. The particular videos that show them walking down the stairs and up to the microphone are posted by "EuroRainbow" (the others, even though they might have far more views, do not include that...so many people are missing out). After all this time, finally clicked into "EuroRainbow"'s channel and, voila! Tremendous b/w Eurovision videos--all in order by year.
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#8 Jun 27, 2013
I'll check back to se if they've removed more posts here. They've done it numerous times before, so I often cut/paste/save posts from time to time; just happened to retain the post #1 and was easily able to re-post.

But whether it's here in a cyberspace graveyard, or on a personal webpage, anonymous demons often sabotage things written. It's diminished much good enthusiasm for the internet over the years. That and the way information about a person gets manipulated--when searching my name unfavorable stuff comes up. Yet I've had enough favorable things that could appear, and don't, to know the entire process is being manipulated and controlled. Shows being targeted for harassment, etc.; proves the point.
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#9 Jun 28, 2013
The post wasn't "spam" either--it wasn't attempting to sell anything by referring to YouTube channel with b/w Eurovision videos. That channel is not selling anything. There is all sorts of horrible stuff posted on these Topix forums that doesn't get removed. Nothing at all wrong with post #1--it shouldn't have ben removed.
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#11 Jun 29, 2013
Had only found this one the other day (when posting it above), and after viewing it some more really love it:

ESC-Jugoslawien Ljiljana Petrović-Neke davne zvezde (1961)

video by EuroRainbow

Ljiljana's face is very expressive in a delicate way, and it's very enjoyable when she is smiling quietly at the end of the song.
Chris Deile

Ketchum, ID

#12 Jun 29, 2013
Remember this one, it has a similar intro (when they walk down the stairs to the microphone) since it's also 1961 Eurovision:

ESC 1961 16 - Italy - Betty Curtis - Al Di L

video by JoaoVelada

(the "Connie Francis Al Di La live onstage" hasn't been available for quite some time now on YouTube--they removed it awhile ago--I check every now and then to see if it's returned--the performance is quite sensational...)
Chris Deile

Vancouver, WA

#13 Jul 16, 2013
Post #1 and post # 10 were removed here. The Internet started out as a great thing but over time has been sabotaged through anonymity (lack of accountability). I've closed e-mail accounts, personal websites, etc. because of it, and have spoken with others expressing the same disappointment. Young people are bullied online, etc., as slander and libel occur unabated.
Chris Deile

Vancouver, WA

#14 Jul 16, 2013
My e-mail account and website were hacked and manipulated, was in correspondence with friends from Tangier, Morrocco when somebody had accessed my e-mail password and began sending mail to them pretending to be me. I caught on as they were using my middle name--Bruce--when the Morroccan family I'd stayed with in 1984 only knew me by my first name--Chris. It was quite likely the librarians in Truckee, CA causing trouble, as they resented me showing up there as a homeless man (Truckee does not provide basic services for homeless--was going without a shower for days at a time). But it showed how easily passwords are stolen and trouble caused.
Chris Deile

Vancouver, WA

#15 Jul 16, 2013
Just found Gigliola Cinquetti French version of her San Remo performance "Rose Nel Buio" (that one was the first I'd found of hers on YouTube about five years ago). Here's the French version, it's a catchy melody:

Gigliola Cinquetti - Quand La Fte Est Finie

video by Elo Dali
Chris Deile

Vancouver, WA

#16 Jul 16, 2013
Normally prefer Gigliola Cinquetti's French versions, but her Italian Rose Nel Buio performance is best:

YouTube Gigliola Cinquetti Rose nel buio festival Sanremo 1971

video by mohamedali1231

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Point MacKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Alaska's weird winter be followed by equal... Sat Sneaky Pete 43
News Remembering the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964 Sat Andy 1
Last Post Wins!!! (Apr '11) Fri Texas Pete 1,923
Suspended by eBay? Grassroots effort at Former ... Fri Jeffrey Wolf 1
Review: Nordstrom Chiropractic Mar 26 Andrea P 1
Review: Knik Superstore (Jul '10) Mar 25 Upset ex employee 8
News Knik Arm Bridge project moves forward (Dec '10) Jan '11 KNGarver 4
Point MacKenzie Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web