Poconos woman offered plaque to recog...

Poconos woman offered plaque to recognize Monroe Civil War veterans of color

There are 170 comments on the Pocono Record story from Nov 25, 2010, titled Poconos woman offered plaque to recognize Monroe Civil War veterans of color. In it, Pocono Record reports that:

She can't have a monument right now, but she'll settle for a plaque. Monroe County native Shari Chambers of Tobyhanna appears to be making some progress in getting long-overdue recognition for Monroe County residents of color, including her Native American and African-American ancestors, who fought in the Civil War.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pocono Record.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Not an Obumble Voter!”

Since: Dec 08

Bar Harbor, ME

#165 Jan 3, 2011
Ziggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Cabin I forgot; bringing race up is a privilege only entitled to conservative whites when they need it to blame the failed US economy on a group of people, as Jeff did after he was complaining about the issue; this is called glaring hypocrisy!! Fact is the truth never changes and if I discussed race as much as you and some others one trick pony blame game Obama, and minorities for every problem in America I would agree with you!
Sorry being married to a bi- racial women does not automatically qualify you as culturally competent. I question you academics in regard to the issue. I rarely mention race but the fact is the hyper reaction here tells me that some are pretty defensive- It gets old to only hear, "I did not own slaves" This is America move on...all the cliches do nothing to educate yourself on the real issues.
The fact that a majority of the failed mortgages in recent times were given to minorities by virtue of their race is not the doing of anyone participating in this forum.

And mentioning that fact does not make one racist.

Wise up.

Race continues to be an issue because folks like yourself (and those responsible for legislating that preference be given to those deemed 'minorities') want it to be.

Some of us truly do prefer to be color blind.

And some of us, it appears, want to continue to milk it.
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

#166 Jan 3, 2011
Ziggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Cabin I forgot; bringing race up is a privilege only entitled to conservative whites when they need it to blame the failed US economy on a group of people, as Jeff did after he was complaining about the issue; this is called glaring hypocrisy!! Fact is the truth never changes and if I discussed race as much as you and some others one trick pony blame game Obama, and minorities for every problem in America I would agree with you!
Sorry being married to a bi- racial women does not automatically qualify you as culturally competent. I question you academics in regard to the issue. I rarely mention race but the fact is the hyper reaction here tells me that some are pretty defensive- It gets old to only hear, "I did not own slaves" This is America move on...all the cliches do nothing to educate yourself on the real issues.
You RARELY mention race??????????
You must post on a lot of topics I have not seen yet.
I have yet to see you post on a topic that was NOT racial and only topics about one specific race.
BTW my wife is MULTI-RACIAL not BI-RACIAL. Most people are at least bi-racial. There are more then two races in the real world.
oneeye

Honesdale, PA

#167 Jan 3, 2011
cabin wrote:
<quoted text>
You RARELY mention race??????????
You must post on a lot of topics I have not seen yet.
I have yet to see you post on a topic that was NOT racial and only topics about one specific race.
BTW my wife is MULTI-RACIAL not BI-RACIAL. Most people are at least bi-racial. There are more then two races in the real world.
Have to agree with you cabin...ziggy always mentions race and only seems to comment on issues where he can bring race in. I also think that ziggy thinks just living in the crumbling CA makes him an expert on all things racial.
rambler1

East Stroudsburg, PA

#168 Jan 3, 2011
oneeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to agree with you cabin...ziggy always mentions race and only seems to comment on issues where he can bring race in. I also think that ziggy thinks just living in the crumbling CA makes him an expert on all things racial.
just watched a national geographic special about tracing the human genome....turns out we are all central asians, unless you are a bushman.

strange and wonderful! No wonder I like Chinese food!*O*
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

#169 Jan 3, 2011
rambler1 wrote:
<quoted text>
just watched a national geographic special about tracing the human genome....turns out we are all central asians, unless you are a bushman.
FOOD!!!!!!!!!!

Made a batch of chili over the weekend. Included hot madras curry, pure heaven!
oneeye

Honesdale, PA

#170 Jan 3, 2011
rambler1 wrote:
<quoted text>
See, now you know the answer. Actually the Native American have been traced as walking across the Bearing Strait from Asia to the Americas which explains their Oriental look. And as I know someone will pick up on this, the Strait was frozen solid at that time so no, they did not walk on water!
Glad you found out the reason you like Chinese food so much...LOL!
Hope you are feeling better now.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#171 Jan 3, 2011
rambler1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I just watched an Ancient Aliens show and we are all alien spawn. LOL

Since: Sep 09

Effort

#172 Jan 3, 2011
AunieEm2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I just watched an Ancient Aliens show and we are all alien spawn. LOL
There is a school of thought that we may have been 'helped a bit' along the way. That was the premise of '2001 a space odyssey'.
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

#173 Jan 3, 2011
fistv wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a school of thought that we may have been 'helped a bit' along the way. That was the premise of '2001 a space odyssey'.
Helped?????

From the 'Nanny State' in space???

;-))))

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#174 Jan 3, 2011
cabin wrote:
<quoted text>
Helped?????
From the 'Nanny State' in space???
;-))))
They make a good case for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocono Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tapawingo Farm Camp, Gouldsboro, PA (Jan '09) Jul 19 DSchoof 44
News Hispanics mobilize against city immigration act... (Jun '06) Jul 14 Al Busillo 682
News Welfare cheats need not apply Jul 1 Our welfare state 11
News Carbon fire company lieutenant faces arson charges (Nov '06) Mar '17 John 8
News Who was Roger King? (Feb '08) Mar '17 Elaine 40
Hardware Feb '17 old coaly 1
News Extreme Commuter: Poconos to NYC (Jul '08) Jan '17 One4themoney 20

Pocono Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pocono Lake Mortgages