Poconos woman offered plaque to recognize Monroe Civil War veterans of color

Nov 25, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Pocono Record

She can't have a monument right now, but she'll settle for a plaque. Monroe County native Shari Chambers of Tobyhanna appears to be making some progress in getting long-overdue recognition for Monroe County residents of color, including her Native American and African-American ancestors, who fought in the Civil War.

Comments
1 - 20 of 170 Comments Last updated Jan 3, 2011
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

http://www.monroehistorical.org/articles/file...

There were no monuments or plaques for white soldiers either. There was no segregation here.What does the woman want? Since there is no monument for any, wouldn't it be more inclusive to place all the names on the monument? Isn't the idea of separate monuments segregating in itself? Or is it more important to place undeserved racist labels on our history at every level?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

“Not an Obumble Voter!”

Since: Dec 08

Bar Harbor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Don't you think it's time that our society can finally be color blind?

Some folks, it appears, just can't let it go.
Mary

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

Jeff Woehrle wrote:
How soon we forget,if they didn't fight for everything they've got now they would still be sitting in the back of the bus,not being able to eat in white restaurants,thank goodness for people like Shari who is doing something she feels important for her people.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

Jeff Woehrle wrote:
Not as long as we permit the lies to stand? One size does not fit all.

Interesting articles at MCHA. Amy is doing a really fine job.
Wondering if the deserters that flocked here stayed?

Before aspersions are cast, one might check the early census records. I know I have.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

'her people'

There you have it. In a nutshell.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
How soon we forget,if they didn't fight for everything they've got now they would still be sitting in the back of the bus,not being able to eat in white restaurants,thank goodness for people like Shari who is doing something she feels important for her people.
There was no back of the bus in Monroe County.They ate in the same restaurants here and attended the same schools. Stop spreading the racism myth.
oneeye

Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

Since there are no plaques at this time the best approach would be simply to include "all" of those who served and especially those who died from our county. Having a plaque for each ethnic group is going a bit too far. It seems to me that it is always the people of color who begin with the "racist" issues. I never would have thought not to include people of color and I would bet others did not either until a "racist" started trouble.
Let us hope certain segments of our society that want "special" privilege will finally give it up and agree we are all Americans no matter what color our birthday suit is.

“Not an Obumble Voter!”

Bar Harbor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
...if they didn't fight for everything they've got ....
Some wish to keep fighting, even after the battle is won.

Race relations seem to have a long way to go in America...and it's really not the white folk who want it that way.
sh-t-town

Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

I wouldn't mind a statue of myself...

Since: Sep 09

Effort

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

sh-t-town wrote:
I wouldn't mind a statue of myself...
What, you mean your medallion is not good enough ?
http://legalectric.org/f/2007/01/horsesassawa...
LOL :-))))
Ziggy

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

Judged:

Congrats to Shari!! Auntie, I assume you are a white women, how is it that you get to speak on behalf of all the black people, especially those who fought and died for this country that came from Stroudsburg! It is not true that there was not segregation in the Poconos- True there was not a Jim Crow type of racism when it was active in the south during the 60s but there were many problems; especially back then. There were many good citizens in the county then as well and the underground railroad ran through the area, but don't be fooled. Even in the 70's I had many experiences with racist school teachers and others who would often say some blatant racist things in the classroom.

For you to start whining about white people not getting credit on plaques when every street in the town and every institution is pretty much named after someone with euro background really reveals just how naive you may be in regard to this issue. These soldiers some of who happen to be relatives of mine died for this country when they were in fact not considered to be equal, that is true sacrifice, your comments are really shameful and ignorant, yes there was discrimination, and yes there are white soldiers who were honored. Finally you should know that the area they came from 3rd st, was somewhat integrated, they role modeled some great social community standards, but to deny that there was discrimination in the Poconos during that time is just ridiculous!

“Not an Obumble Voter!”

Bar Harbor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

The question is whether or not everyone is considered equal now.

For some, it appears, the answer is still no.

“One Nation Under God”

TAKE BACK AMERICA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Now we know why Zig lives in CA. It's the minority entitlements.

People like you are the reason the race card is still being played. You want racism to scream about? Look in your white house!

“Not an Obumble Voter!”

Bar Harbor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Anyone spot the usual words in Zippy's post?

Ignorant. Racist. Naive.

He's become a parody of himself at this point.
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Ziggy wrote:
Congrats to Shari!! Auntie, I assume you are a white women, how is it that you get to speak on behalf of all the black people, especially those who fought and died for this country that came from Stroudsburg! It is not true that there was not segregation in the Poconos- True there was not a Jim Crow type of racism when it was active in the south during the 60s but there were many problems; especially back then. There were many good citizens in the county then as well and the underground railroad ran through the area, but don't be fooled. Even in the 70's I had many experiences with racist school teachers and others who would often say some blatant racist things in the classroom.
For you to start whining about white people not getting credit on plaques when every street in the town and every institution is pretty much named after someone with euro background really reveals just how naive you may be in regard to this issue. These soldiers some of who happen to be relatives of mine died for this country when they were in fact not considered to be equal, that is true sacrifice, your comments are really shameful and ignorant, yes there was discrimination, and yes there are white soldiers who were honored. Finally you should know that the area they came from 3rd st, was somewhat integrated, they role modeled some great social community standards, but to deny that there was discrimination in the Poconos during that time is just ridiculous!
'white people'???

We should have a plaque for all the RESIDENTS that served in the civil war.

YOUR racism is showing through again.
Shirley

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

cabin wrote:
<quoted text>
'white people'???
We should have a plaque for all the RESIDENTS that served in the civil war.
YOUR racism is showing through again.
Let us not forget that white people didn't have to fight for their rights,it was handed to them,black people had to fight for everything they have today,now I'm talking about the civil rights and earlier,today black people have every opportunity that the whites have and Shari I stand behind you in your quest for the plaque or monument.
cabin

East Stroudsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Shirley wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us not forget that white people didn't have to fight for their rights,it was handed to them,black people had to fight for everything they have today,now I'm talking about the civil rights and earlier,today black people have every opportunity that the whites have and Shari I stand behind you in your quest for the plaque or monument.
There will always be problems as long as people like you, Shari and Ziggy only see things as a racial issue.

The county should Honor ALL residents. If people want to purchase a plaque for their own family members that is just fine by me. But get over the race issue.

There are only two types of people in the world, your family and the rest of the population.

Effort

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Shirley wrote:
<quoted text>
Shirley, what was the main purpose of the civil war ? in your opinion.

“Not an Obumble Voter!”

Bar Harbor, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Exactly right, Cabin.

Some folks have a vested interest in keeping 'racism' alive and well...and others with to keep it in play to gain future advantage.

The real goal should be a society that is color blind...and not constantly looking to the past for some type of validation.

The alleged racism in this country ended with the election of Obumble. That card has played its last and it's now time to move on.

Race bigots like Zippy and the woman in this article wish to live in the past and stoke their 'woe is me' mentality with constant reminders. That's a shame. The here and now has much more to live for.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pocono Lake Discussions

Search the Pocono Lake Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 55 min bacon hater 3,808
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 7 hr More Settled Science 51,184
Extreme Commuter: Poconos to NYC (Jul '08) Jun 24 lei 17
Train trips are just one way to experience Lehi... Jun '14 Lehigh Gorge fan 1
A rail and trail ride Jun '14 Amtrak 1
Sipple-Benyo Jun '14 whiskey foxtrot tango 1
Drunk woman enters wrong home, orders family out Jun '14 Lorena Bobbit 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pocono Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000