First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1 Dec 4, 2010
Not sure about anyone else but it sure would be nice to hear about the wonderful things that this community is?I know this may be a long shot but come on people.If you live in this community & have kids in this town you can't tell me all is bad.If you stay & not move away .Why?Just maybe because it's not all that bad.Put aside the way you feel about the town board & look at your community as a whole.We have some great people in this community & it sure is a shame others don't see it.I myself don't agree with everything that happens in this community.I've had my moments of anger about the town board,School board,Sports but if you take a moment you to will see that just maybe your anger is with just one person & not with the whole lot.Sorry if this doesn't make sense to you all,but if this town would just open their eyes to the good we do have.Maybe some day we can have that good old small town feeling.

Thanks for the time:)

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#2 Dec 5, 2010
Finally! Someone who has a topic on Topix that doesnt immediately involve scandals and conspiracy theories. I like it.

One thing I would like to maybe see stats on is the number of alcohol and drug convictions/arrests our town police have made this past year. Granted, that probably means our town is crowded with dopers and drunks, but I'd venture to say that our police force have performed very well in this area over the prior year. Or how about the amount of thefts this year, compared to last year? If someone were to sit down and do some mathematics, I'm confident that the cops working now are doin a pretty damn good job, and there are numbers to prove it.
SNugent

Fayetteville, AR

#3 Dec 6, 2010
OK....I would like to see these numbers also. Why don't you or someone get them together??? This would put an end to the "talk" that all our police dept does is write speeding tickets. I for one would like to know the actual truth.
SNugent

Fayetteville, AR

#4 Dec 6, 2010
By the way..I agree that we have lots of good folks in this town...have been saying so all along. If I didn't think so I would never have lived here all these years. I also know that since I have lived here....over 40 years....good government & police depts have come & gone & come & gone...get the picture?? I have written about some of the stuff I have seen in recent times & have also written about wanting to see change & hope for the good of the town that it comes with the spring elections. Regardless of "which side" of the fence you are on this town will never be at its' potential until everyone pulls together. In my time here I have not seen that happen.

Location hidden

#5 Dec 6, 2010
You've been here much longer than I have so forgive me if I'm not in the weeds as much on some of the current topics. What is it that's currently keeping the town at odds? Now, I can read all the threads and dirty little exchanges on here, but honestly, whats it going to take right now, in the simplest terms, to end the quabbling? Does someone need to be replaced/fired? Do multiple people need to be replaced/fired? Will the results of some elections settle folks down? I have zero influence over anyone, so all I can do is sit by and watch and wait for the first guns to fire and the smoke to clear. Whens that going to be?
SNugent

Moorpark, CA

#6 Dec 7, 2010
Let's see if I can give my "2 cents worth" as amusing says to answer your question about "what's it going to take...".
(1)5 trustees who want to be on the board to work together to solve Pocola's problems and with their only "agenda" being to spend our tax dollars wisely to protect our citizens, fix our roads & see Pocola grow....not want to be on the board just to satisfy a grudge or to be a puppet for the behind the scenes handlers.
(2)A city clerk/treasurer who actually knows how or is capable/willing to learn how to perform the duties of the position (& in the way Pocola's system is set up now that person needs to be able to serve as an office administrator...i.e. supervise and delegate daily work to the other office staff),& be willing & able to be a liason between the city trustees & the citizens of the town. The clerk is the public contact & the information officer for our citizens.
(3)The trustees and the clerk/treasurer need to be knowledgable and/or willing to learn about state laws that govern what towns can & cannot do & the ways in which these things can legally be done.
(4)The trustees & the clerk/treasurer need to have a dependable & trusting relationship..see above statement about the clerk being the "liason" between the public & the trustees. Traditionally it is usually also the clerk that keeps the trustees aware of approved methods & laws..although it is up to the trustees to make any and all decisions.
I know this may sound like "overkill" but keep in mind that these 6 people are responsible for a budget of around $2,000,000.(yes, million).
I'll be watching to see who is willing to try & also watching to see who is backing who....I suspect it will be as usual....the me against you story. Again....just my opinions.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#7 Dec 7, 2010
Good morning Ladies:)

After my 50+ years in the area I have come to the conclusion that for everyone in Pocola to simply just "get along" is as likely to happen as Israel inviting Iran to celebrate Christmas together.

When you consider Pocola's origin, original settlers & so on - it becomes a bit clearer. Pocola may have been incorporated in 1963, but it had its first Post Office abt 1888.

The original Choctaw [& those who evolved into "Freedmen"] Settlers were re-located here around 1832 - it wasn't only the Cherokee that had a forced removal. This area was settled by the mixed-blood Choctaw. They had their "way of life".

Around the time of Statehood, 1906,[and actually back to abt 1880] the area saw a a large influx of white settlers - they, too, had their way of life.

At one time Pocola was divided into 7 distinct areas, with 7 "schools" - people that believed the same & lived the same congregated into the same areas. Over a 100 years or so the different groups inter-married and there became a 3rd & 4th faction.

Now, it's the 21st Century... & people are basically the same - I believe the only true difference in the evolution of our history is "technology". Human Nature has never changed & I doubt it ever does - not just in Pocola - but the entire world & human race.

There is a "division" in our population/ people - it goes deeper than Politics/ Religion - it seems to stem from the belief system held by our Ancestors. We are all products of not just our Environment but our DNA. There are those that appreciate the ways of farming and making their living from the land. There are those that have a more "modern" view of making their living. There is a fine line between these concepts. & I personally think that line has evolved into "Politics".

In fairness, everyone has their own belief as to what is right "for the good of the whole" & who is to say which way is right?

Then you factor in (as Sharon pointed out) there are basically 5 people making ALL the choices - Budget wise, Rule wise, quality of life wise - these choices affect the whole. The rub is "the whole" are, by nature, totally different people. When 5 people get together to make these choices they bring to the table their own belief system & that is when the differences between our population truly float to the top.

That is simply "my take" on things. Pocola is a wonderful & unique town - with a population that is also unique. It would be wonderful to see all people here agree, but I don't see that happening.

My 2 cents :)
SNugent

Rockford, IL

#8 Dec 7, 2010
Amusing: Once again, you & I seem to agree about the general "principles" of things. I think your above post is well said...by the way...are you hiding the fact that you were/are an English and/or philosopher professor??LOL.
Anyway...I do agree as you well know that agreement in Pocola probably never will happen...but I still hold out hope that our democracy system will someday work like it should...in my opinion...the populace has the right to vote on someone to represent them & once that is done the "electees" should then represent what the majority of the folks (those that elected them)want and try to work for the good of all...even those that didn't vote for them. From our small town all the way to the top government of our country this, unfortunately, is not usually the case. It seems that once elected the only thing the electee can seem to accomplish is their personal likes & dislikes, get big egos and decide that they and only they know what is right, wrong & best for the whole.
Oh well....enough thoughts for now. I'll be checking in and watching the forum frequently and as usual probably will have more to say.

Location hidden

#9 Dec 7, 2010
SNugent wrote:
Amusing: Once again, you & I seem to agree about the general "principles" of things. I think your above post is well said...by the way...are you hiding the fact that you were/are an English and/or philosopher professor??LOL.
Anyway...I do agree as you well know that agreement in Pocola probably never will happen...but I still hold out hope that our democracy system will someday work like it should...in my opinion...the populace has the right to vote on someone to represent them & once that is done the "electees" should then represent what the majority of the folks (those that elected them)want and try to work for the good of all...even those that didn't vote for them. From our small town all the way to the top government of our country this, unfortunately, is not usually the case. It seems that once elected the only thing the electee can seem to accomplish is their personal likes & dislikes, get big egos and decide that they and only they know what is right, wrong & best for the whole. Oh well....enough thoughts for now. I'll be checking in and watching the forum frequently and as usual probably will have more to say.
@Sharon: Once again, thank you for the kind words, that is always appreciated:)

& No, I am not hiding anything from anyone;) I do not discuss my background or work history - mainly because it is irrelevant to the discussions we all seem to enjoy - I will say I have a fascination for History & the study of "human nature". I am retired now & enjoying life in this rustic little hamlet some call Pocola & we call "home".

I truly enjoy bantering back & forth on these Topix Boards & I am quite sure you all have figured out I have an opinion about just about everything & everybody in Pocola & am not very shy about sharing it either:)

I want to see Pocola thrive for several reasons - probably all selfish ones - but: 1. property values are a big thought on my mind - I worked very hard to have a nice home & don't want to see the value bottom out... 2. a safe living environment for myself, my children & grandchildren & extended family & my neighbors [I have some good neighbors, very blessed there, all but the few that insist on allowing un-spayed &/or vicious animals to roam my part of town] 3. I would like to see more jobs where my children can earn a decent living without having to leave this area 4. Better roads - tired of paying to replace auto parts that these darn potholes keep knocking loose etc.

I also agree with you that it would be a blessing IF Democracy were allowed to thrive in this town. So much of that problem seems to go back to the several factions that all seem to think "their way" is THE only way. I am sure we agree that is not true but that said, every faction [even those I dislike] have a bit of good to them. & I would like to see Candidates run as "individuals" - running as part of a Coalition is akin to pack dog mentality, IMHO.

Sharon has pointed out some very valid concerns, from Animal Control to the need for an updated "Ordinance Book" & well written job descriptions. I see those concerns as step one. I would also like to see a "rule" [whatever you want to call it] that removes nepotism. I also would like to see anyone that has been fired NOT be re-hired, that would take us back to the beginning in making needed progress.

When we do elect a new Board, I would like to see everyone simply accept the concept of "the majority rules" & give the 5 elected the chance to do a good job or enough rope to hang themselves.

Just my 2 cents:)
HUmmmm

Tulsa, OK

#10 Dec 7, 2010
Vote4Helms

November 25 at 2:57pm ·Lora Taylor Morton and Joey Oliver like this.

Nena Kent ooooo how young u look in this pic...lol...my my how time flies

November 25 at 3:23pm

Joey Oliver Hell Yea!!!!!!! Call me when your ready to put out signs...

November 25 at 3:54pm
·
Vote4Helms Gonna run for Pocola City Council

October 11 at 8:20pm

Like LaTasha Johnson-Logan and Nena Kent like this.

Vote4Helms Looking forward to 2012!!!

October 1 at 10:08am

Vote4Helms Will have more great news to come shortly

RECENT ACTIVITY
Vote4Helms edited his Country, Current Office and Gender.Vote4Helms joined Facebook.
Vote4Helms has no more posts.

Location hidden

#11 Dec 11, 2010
HUmmmm wrote:
Vote4HelmsNovember 25 at 2:57pm ·Lora Taylor Morton and Joey Oliver like this.Nena Kent ooooo how young u look in this pic...lol...my my how time fliesNovember 25 at 3:23pm
Joey Oliver Hell Yea!!!!!!! Call me when your ready to put out signs...November 25 at 3:54pm Vote4Helms Gonna run for Pocola City Council October 11 at 8:20pm Like LaTasha Johnson-Logan and Nena Kent like this. Vote4Helms Looking forward to 2012!!! October 1 at 10:08am Vote4Helms Will have more great news to come shortly RECENT ACTIVITY Vote4Helms edited his Country, Current Office and Gender.Vote4Helms joined Facebook. Vote4Helms has no more posts.
How amusing;)

LOL:)

Location hidden

#12 Dec 12, 2010
I love Pocola! I love the police folks too, except the young one. Jackson, I think? I'm pretty sure I saw him in the audience one time while I was watching 'American Idol', and he was cheering for Adam Lambert!! Oh, and theres a dog on South Gray that always chases my car.

Location hidden

#13 Dec 15, 2010
HappyHysterical wrote:
I love Pocola! I love the police folks too, except the young one. Jackson, I think? I'm pretty sure I saw him in the audience one time while I was watching 'American Idol', and he was cheering for Adam Lambert!! Oh, and theres a dog on South Gray that always chases my car.
Just a thought - you're probably going to be ok UNLESS that dog catches your car;)

LOL - you are amusing & I like amusing:)

Location hidden

#14 Dec 16, 2010
I drive a big truck, it's the dog who should be worried. Lol.
I just thought a change of pace would be welcome. All this serious talk and political banter is kinda a buzzkill. I worked for the PD briefly and I've heard way too much negative things about people that I've always thought positively of, so I try to avoid certain topix. Have a Happy Christmas.

Location hidden

#15 Dec 16, 2010
HappyHysterical wrote:
I drive a big truck, it's the dog who should be worried. Lol.I just thought a change of pace would be welcome. All this serious talk and political banter is kinda a buzzkill. I worked for the PD briefly and I've heard way too much negative things about people that I've always thought positively of, so I try to avoid certain topix. Have a Happy Christmas.
@Happy: Just promise me that when the dog on South Gray finally catches your truck you will post it on Topix so I can hurry over & see how amusing THAT would be;)

& Gee, I hate to think I am part of a buzzkill... If you manage to hit some of our ages then you will see Political Banter is actually a sort of a buzz itself;)

& If you worked for our PD then I can about imagine some of the great stories you have heard - always remember though - there are 3 sides to every story - your side, my side & the "bird on the wires" side:)

& Believe it or not, when I first started posting on Topix I too tried to see amusement in every topic, started a few myself with the thought of being truly positive. BUT, this IS Pocola. Any topic started is going to end up turning political - especially since in the next few months all 5 Board Seats are coming open for Election & in my 50+ years here that has never happened.

Stick around & keep posting, your input is enjoyable.

& a truly Merry CHRISTmas to you & your family & MANY Happy New Years!

just 2 cents from somewhere in Pocola

Location hidden

#16 Dec 16, 2010
Hahaha. Nah, I dont want to hit anyones dog. I'm a devout animal lover.
Maybe buzzkill wasn't the best term to use. I just try to see the best in people and for folks to throw around flaws in other people, in such a cavalier manner, its occasionally a bit unpleasant for me. Noones perfect, so I like to keep my opinions on others to a minimum. I love everyone!!

Location hidden

#17 Dec 16, 2010
HappyHysterical wrote:
Hahaha. Nah, I dont want to hit anyones dog. I'm a devout animal lover.Maybe buzzkill wasn't the best term to use. I just try to see the best in people and for folks to throw around flaws in other people, in such a cavalier manner, its occasionally a bit unpleasant for me. Noones perfect, so I like to keep my opinions on others to a minimum. I love everyone!!
@ HH: I didn't mean "hit" the dog... I was making a "funny" - thinking of the look on the dog's face when it finally caught the car - LOL - like "OK, I caught this moving hunk of metal - do I eat it or bury it with my other bones?" :)

& Occasionally, on Topix, I look for the best in others - but that pretty much negates the function of these boards [being able to speak what is on your mind]

In my opinion only, these Topix Boards were designed to encourage bantering & saying what you think. If you go back to about August - when I joined - and read all the posts, you might see that everyone has been bantering & opinionated and make no mistake - OPINIONS are the basis of these Boards:)

As for myself, I love my family & friends and do like a lot of people.

But there are some that I don't care for or disagree with their Dogma & Opinions & those people are going to end up either: reading my opinion, or ignoring anything I post, or developing thicker skin...

I LOVE these Boards but one is sacred here - & with local Elections rapidly coming on - I suspect we will see a lot of politicking & bantering & I am sure I will be adding my share to the mix...

Now is not going to be the time & Topix is not going to be the place for a "Let's all get along" attitude.

Have a nice evening:)
SNugent

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Dec 16, 2010
Whooppee!!!! Let's let all the fun begin.

Better yet: I surely do wish everyone...even those who don't care for me personally...a very Peaceful, Happy and Wonderful Christmas. I wish nothing but the best for everyone, the Town of Pocola included. May God Bless us all. Sharon

Location hidden

#19 Dec 17, 2010
Everybody Love Everbody!!!
What ever happened when the coyote caught the roadrunner?? Lol.
I have little to offer in the way of opinions and such, but thats not why I'm here. Everyones got an agenda and a plan.
This is the best reply I could muster while driving to work.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 17, 2010
HappyHysterical wrote:
Everybody Love Everbody!!!What ever happened when the coyote caught the roadrunner?? Lol.I have little to offer in the way of opinions and such, but thats not why I'm here. Everyones got an agenda and a plan.This is the best reply I could muster while driving to work.
@HH: Beep Beep ;) I don't ever remember the roadrunner getting anything but the best of the coyote LOL.

& I do think you have an opinion, you may not voice that opinion, but it's there or you wouldn't be here:) I think that is called "passive-aggressive" ... & IF everybody could find a way to love everybody we would be living in a perfect world - but I just don't see that ever happening.

Good luck with your agenda & plan;) I will be watching to see how it unfolds & plays out. I personally don't have an agenda, unless you want to count my speaking my mind -- but I do have a plan, that being to speak my mind - and not sit back silently & watch people start politicking until they either file to run or someone else files for one of the six slots opening this Spring.

I don't have a clue how old you are, I have an opinion, just not a real "fact" - but I suspect you are, at the least, many years younger than I am... Can you ever remember seeing all 5 Board Member seats, plus the City Clerk Office, all come up for a vote at the same time? In my 50+ years around here, I can not remember that ever happening. But it is coming upon us quickly & the results will change the "face" of Pocola for several years. Sometimes change IS good - this may well be one of those times... I won't have a solid opinion on that though until I see who all is running for the Council seats.

I do have a theory though - that being people that are working as "civil servants", defining that as their paycheck & benefits are funded by the taxpayer's dime, shouldn't be involved in local politics... that could be a toxic mess & lead to abuses of power. & I believe Pocola has certainly had their share of abuses of power & had Employees & Board Members that basically did nothing but "power surge".

I firmly believe in "transparency" in Government, without that it seems like power abusers come slithering out & I am personally sick of those that abuse their "power". & I do not like "control freaks" - I think the best anyone can hope to do is control their own behavior & morals. Behavior can be controlled, in a sense, by laws -- but Morality can not be legislated ;)

So much of life seems to be about doing the best one can do and hoping others do the same. I believe every individual is a product of their upbringing and environment & each person has their own definition of what is "truth" and what is "right" & to me, that is a fine line. I firmly believe there is no single person or group that has THE ONLY "right" way of believing, thinking, etc.

Well enough on this from me, for now:) I actually have a bit of a life besides the Topix Boards, LOL & today I am going to repair a computer for a family member. But I will be back around later tonight to see if/what others have to say today.

& a btw, I hope your not Topix'ing while driving, be careful, it's a crazy highway out there!

as always - the above is just my 2 cents

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Larry Doug lewis Jul 5 old friend 3
Pocola has a motorcycle club Jun '17 Joshua Butler 2
Condition of Cameron School? (Aug '12) Jun '17 Justme 21
Superintendent (Aug '12) Jun '17 Justme 6
Pocola Teacher (Nov '16) May '17 Send her to jail 7
News Tifini Noel Thompson Renfro Missing Alamo Prope... (Aug '09) May '17 Erin 60
Just want to know Apr '17 John doe 3

Pocola Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pocola Mortgages