ISU Students Blows off finger carrying Pipe Bomb
Posted in the Pocatello Forum
Since: Sep 08
#1 Jan 16, 2011
POCATELLO — An Idaho State University student blew off several of his fingers Sunday afternoon when the pipe bomb he was carrying outside his college neighborhood residence exploded, police said.
The student's name has not yet been released but police said he is an ISU music major who played the piano. Police and neighbors said they are baffled as to what he was doing with a pipe bomb on the north side of his residence at 208 S. 13th Ave. on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
The incident occurred at 3 p.m. and the explosion woke up several of the student's neighbors, who rushed outside to find him reeling in pain beside the hedge that borders his property. The student lived with his girlfriend, who at the time of the explosion was inside their residence, a single-story, light blue, wood-frame house.
The student's neighbors contacted 911 and along with his girlfriend provided first-aid until Pocatello police and fire units arrived.
Neighbors and police said the student lost several of his fingers and also suffered leg injuries from the blast. The explosion did not cause any damage to the residence, though it occurred close to it.
Police said the student was in shock when they arrived and could offer no explanation as to what he was doing with a pipe bomb. Neighbors who were first on the scene said the student was repeatedly saying, "What have I done" when they arrived.
The student was rushed by ambulance to Portneuf Medical Center, where he remained Sunday night. A condition report on him was not immediately available.
As of 4 p.m. Sunday the explosive device, a damaged black pipe, remained stuck in the hedge adjacent to where the blast occurred.
Police cordoned off the student's property with yellow tape. In the hours following the explosion, small groups of neighbors stood along the taped perimeter or across the street, viewing the scene and trying to make sense of such an unusual incident in their usually quiet neighborhood.
Most of the neighbors knew the victim and said he seemed to be the typical college student and none had witnessed any unusual behavior from him in the past. Some expressed sadness at the loss of his fingers considering he plays the piano and had an upcoming recital at ISU.
Now if this is his pipe bomb that he made, or got it from someone he knows, he deserves to be classified as a terrorists and put away for life without any possibility of parole.
Now if he is completely a victim of finding this item, Hope he can recover with his life.
Since: Sep 08
#2 Jan 17, 2011
Now the news comes out a day later that it was a Potato gun that maims pianist: Neighbor’s Scout training helpful during emergency
POCATELLO — Paul Dial attributes his training as an Eagle Scout in his youth for the calm and cool approach he exhibited following the potato gun explosion that severely injured his neighbor, Idaho State University student Derek Schaible, Sunday afternoon.
Dial said he was watching television when he heard the boom.“It was very loud. It shook the pictures on the wall,” said Dial. Running outside to the house next door, Dial heard a woman screaming and when he came upon Schaible and the woman, there was a pool of blood forming.
When Schaible turned to face Dial he was covering his mutilated right hand with his left hand, saying, "What have I done, what have I done."
Dial said that he also observed shrapnel wounds in Schaible's right leg and three fingers were missing, his little finger, ring finger and middle finger.
Dial told the woman to get a towel, a chair and to call the police. She told Dial that she didn’t have a phone so Dial ran home and told his wife to call 911.
Dial said that Schaible was bleeding profusely and was beginning to go into shock.
Dial said he wanted to keep him outside because the cold weather would stall the effects of shock.
Dial said that he held onto Schaible's arm and applied a tourniquet with his hands to stop the bleeding.
“I told him to keep his arm above his shoulder, to keep it above his heart,” said Dial.
Dial said that his training as an Eagle Scout taught him that “you just have to use your common sense. Determine what the situation is and then react.”
Schaible was rushed by ambulance to Portneuf Medical Center, where he was listed in stable condition Sunday night following surgery.
The residents of the University Neighborhood at the corner of South 13th Avenue and East Lewis Street found their quiet on a rainy Sunday afternoon suddenly shattered by the percussive blast of the explosive device believed at first to be a pipe bomb but later determined to be a potato gun. Schaible had filled the gun with black powder and lit it, triggering the explosion, police said.
Jeannie Vahsholtz, who lives across the street from Schaible, said she and her daughter had just finished watching a movie when she heard a loud explosion. Vahsholtz thought it was a gunshot and described it as loud as a sonic boom.
“I looked out a window and I saw a man with a gun,” said Vahsholtz,“and then he put it down and walked between the house and the garage.”
Vahsholtz saw her neighbor, Dial, run out of his home to assist the man she later found out was Schaible.
Rick Ross and Bret Davis were watching the New York Jets-New England Patriots game on television when they heard the explosion.
“It was like an M-80,” said Ross.“We got up and observed the individual running around the side of the house holding his hand in the air.”
Davis said he saw a plume of smoke and Schaible was standing as if in a daze before he went around the side of the house.
Schaible is an Idaho State University student majoring in music performance, according to ISU's Web site. He was scheduled to play piano at the Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration at the nearby First United Methodist Church on Sunday night.
The Rev. Janie Gebhardt, minister of the First Congregational United Church of Christ, asked those in attendance at the MLK celebration to say a prayer for Schaible.
Gebhardt said that Schaible would often play piano at local church services.“I’m heart sick that this happened to such a talented young man,” said Gebhardt.
Hope they get to answer Why he thought this was a smart thing to do..
Add your comments below
|Review: Trion's Rides||May 23||Mustang59||2|
|need a job||May 18||tagz08||1|
|Sandy Coulter Mcminn||Apr '15||tagz08||2|
|Family grieving over Idaho teen's brutal murder (Sep '06)||Feb '15||Phil4U||35|
|Legit supplier of m-a-rij-uauna,pain n anxiety ...||Feb '15||local in pocatello||1|
|fast and reliable pain n anxiety meds||Dec '14||helping out||1|
Find what you want!
Search Pocatello Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC