creativity taken from PJHS students

creativity taken from PJHS students

Posted in the Pocahontas Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Creativiy taken From PJHS

Sulphur Springs, TX

#1 Nov 20, 2009
Pocahontas Junior High School is no longer allowing the students in study hall to draw,write or do anything other than read a book or do school work! this is taking the creativity out of the students. kids are getting In-School Suspension for Expressing themselves in there free time!!! If there done with thier work and want to draw they should be allowed as long as it is decent! schools are suposed to influence creativity not DENY it! or punish them for drawing. This may be relaxing or calming to a child. this will lead to NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!
Just Someone

Bexar, AR

#2 Nov 20, 2009
Same in Maynard.
Shannon

San Antonio, TX

#3 Nov 20, 2009
Study Hall isn't 'free time.' It's STUDY hall. If homework is done, there's other stuff they could be doing, like STUDYING.
Just Someone

Bexar, AR

#4 Nov 20, 2009
If you don't get a credit for it, seems to me it's free time.
Creativiy taken From PJHS

Sulphur Springs, TX

#6 Nov 20, 2009
Well ill tell you this i woulf much rather my son draw on paper than the desk or doing graphitti
i think they should be able to draw and write they NEED to express themselves
play ball

Olive Branch, MS

#7 Nov 21, 2009
Creativiy taken From PJHS wrote:
Pocahontas Junior High School is no longer allowing the students in study hall to draw,write or do anything other than read a book or do school work! this is taking the creativity out of the students. kids are getting In-School Suspension for Expressing themselves in there free time!!! If there done with thier work and want to draw they should be allowed as long as it is decent! schools are suposed to influence creativity not DENY it! or punish them for drawing. This may be relaxing or calming to a child. this will lead to NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!
Just get your kids on the football team. They can get away with murder around here if they're football players.
mom

Leesville, LA

#8 Nov 21, 2009
Back 13 years ago you could take a nap in study hall, because it was considered free time. I was even a teachers aide during my study hall period. The only thing we couldn't do was disrupt the study hall, because other kids who did study and do homework needed the quite. I also remember watching TV during study all we watched Little House, and their was a movie about a lawyer, I can't remember the name of the movie, we would watch.
Just Someone

Salem, AR

#9 Nov 21, 2009
mom wrote:
Back 13 years ago you could take a nap in study hall, because it was considered free time. I was even a teachers aide during my study hall period. The only thing we couldn't do was disrupt the study hall, because other kids who did study and do homework needed the quite. I also remember watching TV during study all we watched Little House, and their was a movie about a lawyer, I can't remember the name of the movie, we would watch.
It's not Study Hall anymore it is "Academic Enhancement" and they have to do "open responses". You read a two-page story and have questions at the end and have to show how the story supports your answers. It's supposed to help on thatparticular part of the Benchmark Tests.
nclb is a joke

Bexar, AR

#10 Nov 21, 2009
Schools have to have kids pass THE TEST, so that's their focus these days. things change, deal with it.
Mother of Two

Leesville, LA

#11 Nov 21, 2009
Public school is such a joke anymore. I'm thinking of home schooling mine.
Mother of Two

Leesville, LA

#12 Nov 21, 2009
Just Someone wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not Study Hall anymore it is "Academic Enhancement" and they have to do "open responses". You read a two-page story and have questions at the end and have to show how the story supports your answers. It's supposed to help on thatparticular part of the Benchmark Tests.
Oh then why did the person who started this tread call it study hall?
Creativiy taken From PJHS

Sulphur Springs, TX

#13 Nov 21, 2009
Mother of Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh then why did the person who started this tread call it study hall?
i completely agree on this comment. if it was supposed to be a class on open responses then why would it be call "STUDY HALL" come on people theryre depriving these kids of creativity show some feelings on it like mother of two does! id love it when my kid comes home with a new drawing or poem they could make a lifetime job out of these things. they can learn how to mmake something of themselves! i cant stand it knowing my child is not allowed to express thier emotion on paper anymore in study hyall. for on it keeps kids calm. they need free time in study hall
what is your point

Bexar, AR

#14 Nov 21, 2009
Why are you discussing this on topix? Do you just enjoy slamming the school system or stirring up junk? Are you trying to see how many people you can get "on your side". This is pathetic. Seriously....why do you not just handle it in the appropriate manner and go have a discussion with the school administrator? You can surely get some answers that way, and share your opinions with them. Is that too hard?
Shannon

San Antonio, TX

#15 Nov 21, 2009
They can be creative in art class, during lunch, before and after school, or at home. Not every child has study hall. It is not free time. For every minute that class time is being held, including study hall, your kid is supposed to be learning and growing intellectually. Study hall is for studying. If you want your kid to be an artist, enroll them in art class or encourage their art at home. School is for learning, not relaxing. Don't get on topix and complain because the school is trying to do their job. Would you get mad because your boss at work got onto you for drawing on the clock? Same concept. It's practical experience to help prepare them for the real world.
big dik chick

Ruston, LA

#16 Nov 21, 2009
amen sista!! art is gay anyway
really

Bexar, AR

#17 Nov 21, 2009
Mother of Two wrote:
Public school is such a joke anymore. I'm thinking of home schooling mine.
Go for it.
Sin City

Lake Charles, LA

#18 Nov 22, 2009
I used to love taking naps during study hall when I was in school.
know

Mountain Home, AR

#19 Nov 22, 2009
If your child was the one drawing, he or she needs to go to spelling class if they take after you. Or maybe you need to go back to school. You must have sleep through your spelling and grammer class. Just one question, how was your child's progress report and their report card. Study hall is the only time some of these kids are half way made or ask to study, because mom and dad could care less. Is it bad for someone to care and want these kids to make it. Maybe you need to back up and take a good look at yourself and and how you are raising you kids. Do you care if they make something of themselves? There are other places for them to express themselves, they just need to look. Art class or one of the many clubs that the school has. Maybe you are one of the lucky parents that their child makes all A's. I do hope so, but not are parents are that lucky.
Dr-Mom

Ruston, LA

#21 Nov 22, 2009
amen sister!
jenn

Leesville, LA

#22 Nov 22, 2009
know wrote:
If your child was the one drawing, he or she needs to go to spelling class if they take after you. Or maybe you need to go back to school. You must have sleep through your spelling and grammer class. Just one question, how was your child's progress report and their report card. Study hall is the only time some of these kids are half way made or ask to study, because mom and dad could care less. Is it bad for someone to care and want these kids to make it. Maybe you need to back up and take a good look at yourself and and how you are raising you kids. Do you care if they make something of themselves? There are other places for them to express themselves, they just need to look. Art class or one of the many clubs that the school has. Maybe you are one of the lucky parents that their child makes all A's. I do hope so, but not are parents are that lucky.
LOL!! Wow, your talking about her grammer and look at your last sentence. I guess we all can't be as perfect as you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joey Ball 3 hr Joey 2
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 4 hr Denver 33,406
needed 5 hr guest 8
Places for rent affordable and pet friendly Sat LorieB 1
Best Tax Preparer Sat CalGal57 9
Bo Shipp Sat Melissa 27
Harps Fri guest 5

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pocahontas Mortgages