First Prev
of 4
Next Last
greg

United States

#61 Jan 6, 2013
I got two friends that teach n coach and they dnt make much at all but it maybe because they just got out of school n started their jobs
Sports

Mountain Home, AR

#62 Jan 7, 2013
greg wrote:
I got two friends that teach n coach and they dnt make much at all but it maybe because they just got out of school n started their jobs
This post was about sports in schools,not about someone's salary and how much an employee earns but the cost of athletic programs to the tax payer or 50% of the schools budget being spent on 20% of the students and i dont believe that there is anyone,if they will be honest about this, that would not tell you that students would not have a much better opertunity to learn and get a much better education if sports was a community org.and not in the schools,the sports program is for the schools,moms and dads,not the students,you are not going to convince very many people otherwise,not saying that very many people would want it changed but anyone could see that its wasted money,saving a million dollars per year would pay for many students to get a college education as well as being much better prepared for college,yes i know you want to go watch little billy play ball,much more than little billy wants to play ball but you can still do that just the same,where little billy plays ball wont matter to him,but it will to the school,because he wont be representing the school,you see this is where little billy is being used as well as the taxpayer,the things i am posting i have heard retired supertendant and a retired coach say these very words now to you that does not mean anything because its not what you want,but to the tax payer and to little billy it does,it saves a lot of tax money and gives little billy a much better education.P.S IF YOU RESPOUND I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOUR RESPONCE IS BUT PLEASE,STICK TO THE SUBJECT.
greg

United States

#63 Jan 7, 2013
Ok first of all ur one brought up salaries, second my kids dnt play sports so dnt guess I get see little billy play anyways, third of all I'm a tax payer just like anyone who has a job so I help pay
For real

Oklahoma City, OK

#64 Jan 7, 2013
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Always looking for someone to blame. Maybe you should look at the lazy parents that dont make their kids study and get involved with their homework. Oh no. That cant be the reason kids g etting an education. Lets blame sports. Lets blame a team activity that teaches teamwork, hard work, dedication, discipline. There are 4.0 kids playing sports. Guess what. There are kids failing out by the dozens who have never played a sport in their life. Honestly, "sports" its sounds like you have some sort issue with sports because maybe of some jealousy. Maybe another kid who is an athlete gets more attention. Maybe more popular than your kid. Maybe not.....but it sure sounds like it. As for the money thing. If you have an extra $1000 to throw down on a bet, and you are that sincerely concerned abot students education, Im sure you wont mind donating it to a seniors scholarship this year. But I doubt that will happen. You're not that sincere in a better education. There is something deeper to this. And its a simple solution. Dont like sports? Dont let your kids play. Oh, you're one of those.....you dont like it so lets get it banned. Like I said.....one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
Sports

Cherokee Village, AR

#65 Jan 7, 2013
You are making my very point for what ever the problem where it be lazy parents,uneducated parents,working parent,it makes no difference,you can blame the parents but it wont help the child,your school will spend 50% of its budget on 20% of the students we need more time,teachers,money to be spent on the other 80% of students and we wont let these children fall through the cracks that you are saying that they are falling through,teachers should be paid more,and we need more teachers,why would you pay a coach so much more than a teacher answer this for us,these children come from different homes,different back grounds,some from homes with money some without not all have the same opertunity as the others in life,its time for us to help the 80% that is not getting what we could give them,what is wrong with sports being a community organized it is already half of the year and it works great,Canada dont pay coaches,no i'm not suggesting we should not pay them but i am suggesting that more could be done to educate our children,prepare them for college,we have got to get these children to be tax payers instead of tax receipents it is detramental to our nation.
Sports

Cherokee Village, AR

#66 Jan 7, 2013
For real wrote:
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Always looking for someone to blame. Maybe you should look at the lazy parents that dont make their kids study and get involved with their homework. Oh no. That cant be the reason kids g etting an education. Lets blame sports. Lets blame a team activity that teaches teamwork, hard work, dedication, discipline. There are 4.0 kids playing sports. Guess what. There are kids failing out by the dozens who have never played a sport in their life. Honestly, "sports" its sounds like you have some sort issue with sports because maybe of some jealousy. Maybe another kid who is an athlete gets more attention. Maybe more popular than your kid. Maybe not.....but it sure sounds like it. As for the money thing. If you have an extra $1000 to throw down on a bet, and you are that sincerely concerned abot students education, Im sure you wont mind donating it to a seniors scholarship this year. But I doubt that will happen. You're not that sincere in a better education. There is something deeper to this. And its a simple solution. Dont like sports? Dont let your kids play. Oh, you're one of those.....you dont like it so lets get it banned. Like I said.....one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
Sounds to me like you are blaming everyone except the right one,yourself for not excepting the truth are you wanting your child more popular than the others,he can be just as popular at community sports,although he maynot be favored with the teachers that way this i can agree with you on,see i knew you had some reason but i wasn't certain what maybe those coaching friends of yours can help your own children,favortism,now you can see why sports is wanted in schools and you can see why i want it in the community,fairness.
Sports

Cherokee Village, AR

#67 Jan 7, 2013
For real wrote:
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Always looking for someone to blame. Maybe you should look at the lazy parents that dont make their kids study and get involved with their homework. Oh no. That cant be the reason kids g etting an education. Lets blame sports. Lets blame a team activity that teaches teamwork, hard work, dedication, discipline. There are 4.0 kids playing sports. Guess what. There are kids failing out by the dozens who have never played a sport in their life. Honestly, "sports" its sounds like you have some sort issue with sports because maybe of some jealousy. Maybe another kid who is an athlete gets more attention. Maybe more popular than your kid. Maybe not.....but it sure sounds like it. As for the money thing. If you have an extra $1000 to throw down on a bet, and you are that sincerely concerned abot students education, Im sure you wont mind donating it to a seniors scholarship this year. But I doubt that will happen. You're not that sincere in a better education. There is something deeper to this. And its a simple solution. Dont like sports? Dont let your kids play. Oh, you're one of those.....you dont like it so lets get it banned. Like I said.....one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
Dedication,dislipline,good sportsmanship,is taugh maybe better in community sports than high school so go back and try something else,at least you said you coached for years if so you should know this is true,but stop being a lier,when did i say that sports should be banned,i support sports for every child not just a few as you think its ok,as long as your get to play.
greg

United States

#68 Jan 8, 2013
U know me n for real r 2 different people right, and y u talkin bout salaries again cause that's not what post is about remember
do tell

Harrison, AR

#69 Jan 8, 2013
"Sports" you are wrong about the salary gap. check out this link:
http://phs.k12.ar.us/view/83

you can view how much each staff member makes at Pocahontas School.

If you take the time to look at this there are teachers that make just the same as some of the coaches. There are some coaches that make 1 1/2 times as some teachers, but I guess time on the job plays a role in that as well. Also, coaches not only coach- they teach some sort of "class". Now before you say "they coach PE", look at what the "PE" teacher at the elementary school makes. She makes as much as some of the high school football coaches and they have to stay after school and work friday nights and do camps, etc. SO, looks like the pay scale is pretty fair to me!
For real

Oklahoma City, OK

#70 Jan 8, 2013
Sports, hate to tell ya this, but there would be the same Problem in communty sports. It would still be about who you are and your last name. And the kids that arent very good wont get to play. Its the same way all through life. Unfortunately, life isnt fair. People show favortism and the better your are, the better you look, the more money you have, gets you further in life. Anyways.... So, explain to me how some oids in school Play sports and keep good grades. Should we punish those kids who enjoy the sports in school? Get rid of sports, pep rallies, homecoming parades, and any other fun extra curricular activities in schools and uou will see more drop outs and many more kids grades start failing. You cant make school a prison full of nothig but text books and homework. Kids wont do it. But keep telling yourself thats the answer. Im done arguing with you. You have your opinion and I have mine. You wont change my mind and I wont change yours. But I will be lookig for a $1000 scholarship from an anonymous person in May.
Sports

Cherokee Village, AR

#71 Jan 8, 2013
For real wrote:
Sports, hate to tell ya this, but there would be the same Problem in communty sports. It would still be about who you are and your last name. And the kids that arent very good wont get to play. Its the same way all through life. Unfortunately, life isnt fair. People show favortism and the better your are, the better you look, the more money you have, gets you further in life. Anyways.... So, explain to me how some oids in school Play sports and keep good grades. Should we punish those kids who enjoy the sports in school? Get rid of sports, pep rallies, homecoming parades, and any other fun extra curricular activities in schools and uou will see more drop outs and many more kids grades start failing. You cant make school a prison full of nothig but text books and homework. Kids wont do it. But keep telling yourself thats the answer. Im done arguing with you. You have your opinion and I have mine. You wont change my mind and I wont change yours. But I will be lookig for a $1000 scholarship from an anonymous person in May.
Iwas wondering when one of your friends would tell you to shut up because you are trying to argue something that you can't defend and you are simply getting you back side kicked trying,now let me talk about the million dollars of tax payer money that should be spent on the children that need the help instead of playing ball,how many pro ball players has this school produced,how many children that came from here have made a living playing sports,or how many nation wide,its time for the tax payers to wise up and say there is no reason to waste a million dollars per year,when this same enjoyment can be had for a minamal amt. of dollars,its my opinion that the children can enjoy sports just as much if its a community organized sport,but shame on you for admiting that you as a coach know that children are treated differently because of who they are or who the family is and no we will have more children with better grades,feel better about going to school and be more equal as well as be better prepared for college,your student ratio of graduation will increase,lets not spend 80% of our money on 20% of the children,this is the reason a supertendant and retired coach said that sports needed to be out of school.
THE TRUTH

Cherokee Village, AR

#72 Jan 9, 2013
Sports wrote:
<quoted text>Iwas wondering when one of your friends would tell you to shut up because you are trying to argue something that you can't defend and you are simply getting you back side kicked trying,now let me talk about the million dollars of tax payer money that should be spent on the children that need the help instead of playing ball,how many pro ball players has this school produced,how many children that came from here have made a living playing sports,or how many nation wide,its time for the tax payers to wise up and say there is no reason to waste a million dollars per year,when this same enjoyment can be had for a minamal amt. of dollars,its my opinion that the children can enjoy sports just as much if its a community organized sport,but shame on you for admiting that you as a coach know that children are treated differently because of who they are or who the family is and no we will have more children with better grades,feel better about going to school and be more equal as well as be better prepared for college,your student ratio of graduation will increase,lets not spend 80% of our money on 20% of the children,this is the reason a supertendant and retired coach said that sports needed to be out of school.
I must agree with you we could help a lot of kids if we did it your way and would take nothing away from the kids where they be rich or poor,made good grades or bad they could still enjoy life more without any pressure,the school is wasting money that could be paid on college education.
Facts

Jonesboro, AR

#73 Jan 11, 2013
Sports wrote:
<quoted text>I dont know where you went to school but like i stated in my first post coaches make at least 50% more and twice what the other teachers earn,i suggest you ck to see how much the coaches are earning before you say that they aren't earning much,of course that was by me considered to what other teachers earned,but before you make a statment you need to know for sure,each school is different,this is public info at the court house but you are admiting that you dont know how much that is,you speak of scolarships,again where do you think scolarships come from,the tax payer,who else would be giving these scolarships,yes it comes through the schools but its the goverment paying just as your coaches are being paid,a portion of the money that schools get comes from the goverment,i did not suggest you denigh your children sports,even at school,what i did say is sports needs to be out of schools and how many scolarships do you think that much money would provide,a lot more than are being given to students now,but think of how much money could be saved,now i can tell by what you have posted you aren't liking the idea of sports being out of schools and regardless of how much it would help ed.or how much money would be saved,how many more teachers could be hired to help children or pay rases for teachers.i can see you aren't paying for this or think its not costing you,its not going to change your mind because you want sports at schools,i knew i wasn't going to change your mind in the first place,nor was i trying but i have made the point i was intending to make,and money wise sports needs to be out of schools,as far as the students,again i feel like i have proven that it would provide more time for academics for the children in schools,its easy to see you are not concerned about the students,because its not what you want,that is not surprizing to me at all.
Coaches make more because in addition to coaching they have to teach. They are doing and being paid for 2 jobs. The hours are much longer, wouldn't you expect to get paid more if you typically got off work at 10 and the other guy usually got off at 3?
Many of the college sports scholarships you're so bent about don't come from tax money at all. They come from revenue brought in by the sport (ticket sales) and the athletic boosters and alum of that school.
AAA requires a C average for every Arkansas athlete. It's not a school thing. It's a state law thing.
At the high school level, athletic boosters, ticket sales, fund raisers, and private donors make up a lot of the sports cost. Athletes deserve an outlet just like choir, drama, and band.
My kid is a cheerleader. I pay 100% of her cost and we have a volunteer coach so your tax money is not paying for her at all. She has a 4.0 GPA and will be attending college on an academic scholarship.
Sports

Mountain Home, AR

#74 Jan 11, 2013
Again you are trying to avoid what the orginal post was about,coaches teach generally health because they dont have enough to do through the day,dont give me that horse shat about ticket sales,boster clbs,fund raisers money going to scolarships,private donors do because its good for business and tax deductable,out of the tax payers pocket either way,however the post was never about scolarships,cant you carry on a sinceable conversation the post was about how much money was spent on sports and how sports was used to get support from the public at tax payers expence and the money spent on facilities and salarys that could be used to better serve 80% of the students that are not being served as well as the 20% its not about your daughter or her being a c leader or her grade point avg.that can remain the same if sports was a community org.
Sports

Mountain Home, AR

#75 Jan 11, 2013
Choir,drama,art and band are also subjects that should not taught at school we have students in these classes along with sports that are not prepaired for college if you want these thing for your child you should pay for them,what percentage of the students do you think you are helping with these,and how many of them do you know that use them to make a living,when a student cant read, write,or do math what good are these things,not all schools offer these anyway,now i dont intend to change these but its time for us to teach children thing that will make the tax payers out of them instead of foodstamp recepiants,how are these things going to help them earn a living.
ToBeQuiteHonest

Oklahoma City, OK

#76 Jan 13, 2013
Sports wrote:
<quoted text>To give you an honest answer no i didnt try to make the team,first of all i maynot have been able to,second i was not one with money,and of course i think all the students would have a better ed. without sports in school,why else would i care,my children played sports in school but thats not the point i am making,much more money and time spent on sports than any 3 other subjects,its why our students dont achieve like students in other countries,nor will they as long as we put more interest in sports,rather than academics,but its your child,if you had rather your child play sports,than have a better ed, then its up to you, but i dobut he or she ever plays sports for aliving and is being used by our schools,its time for the truth to come out,sports is not for your child,its for your school, along with Moms and DADS and the money spent would give your child a much better ed, if the time and money was used correctly,now i dont expect that my post will change anything but dont give me that bull about sports being for our children,its not,never ,dont misunderstand me sports is great for our children,but the school is not the place for sports,it may be the norm but that does not make it right.
There is a website you can go to and see every state employees salary. If you go online, you will see that the coaches are paid equally to the other teachers, based on years of service and level of education, and then given a stipend for their coaching job. For example, a jr high assistant coach is given $500.00/yr for coaching. That's for practicing with students 3 days/week after school, Thursday nights game (home or away) and for off-season practice in the summer. Comes out to about a $1.00/hr for the number of hrs put in. A class sponsor gets $200.00/yr for working on fundraiser a and Prom. A cheer leading sponsor gets around $4000.00/yr...yes,$4000.00. So, coaches aren't getting paid twice as much as other teachers. Also, my son played sports and it taught him many valuable lessons! Teamwork, commitment to something he said he would do, perseverance, and hardwork. He gives this a lot of credit for who he is today. He maintained excellent grades and is continuing to do do in college. My daughter plays sports as well. She loves the commoraderie and misses it when the season ends. There's more to an education than just textbooks. We want well-rounded individuals with many strong traits to succeed in this rough world.
ToBeQuiteHonest

Oklahoma City, OK

#77 Jan 13, 2013
Sports wrote:
<quoted text>Iwas wondering when one of your friends would tell you to shut up because you are trying to argue something that you can't defend and you are simply getting you back side kicked trying,now let me talk about the million dollars of tax payer money that should be spent on the children that need the help instead of playing ball,how many pro ball players has this school produced,how many children that came from here have made a living playing sports,or how many nation wide,its time for the tax payers to wise up and say there is no reason to waste a million dollars per year,when this same enjoyment can be had for a minamal amt. of dollars,its my opinion that the children can enjoy sports just as much if its a community organized sport,but shame on you for admiting that you as a coach know that children are treated differently because of who they are or who the family is and no we will have more children with better grades,feel better about going to school and be more equal as well as be better prepared for college,your student ratio of graduation will increase,lets not spend 80% of our money on 20% of the children,this is the reason a supertendant and retired coach said that sports needed to be out of school.
If you go to Nesc.k12.ar.us and click on the public information tab, you will find budgets. You will then be able to calculate the overall budget for the school of over 20 million. Teachers salaries comprise 6.5 million and the budget for athletics is 1.4. This is higher than normal, because there us 500,000 in renovations budgeted. If you look at previous years, you will see additional amounts have been budgeted for renovations and for the new, and beautiful, science building. You will also see almost 2 million in federal grant monies for our district. So accordinging to my calculations, the school has not allocated 50 or 80% to 20% of the students as you have previously posted. And, I was involved in school extracurricular activities. Making me a better team player, more independent, and increasing my self-esteem which in turn, resulted in my college success, masters degree, and I'm a hard-working, tax-paying member of this community! I was the first in my family to attend college. Unlike my 3 older siblings, who did not participate in any extra-curricular activities.
answer

Mountain Home, AR

#78 Jan 13, 2013
Think you for you post but you are giving figures for one year,why dont you calculate over a ten year period and re-calculate your figures again i yhink you will come up with a much different figure,and what are in you figures is it building cost,operational cost,list what is concidered in your cost then you realy make the point i am trying to get accross that 2 mil fed grant that you make yourself sound as though its free to us its not,our goverment borrowed the money to give to the school and at some point it will have to be paid back plus the interest and how many schools are getting a fed grant the same way,you are kidding yourself,and why would you not have the same opertunities if sports was community organized,its the same sports either way and yes i think its fine to pay coaches but not a countries do,the big difference i see is that your siblings that did not do as well as you would have possibly done as well as you and had the same opertunities as you enjoyed dont you think that would have been great,but tell me why they didnt enjoy sports in school as you have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 hr Blinded by poison 29,814
Mayor race 9 hr Truth HIRTS 48
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 12 hr Mickey 9,996
City of Pocahontas - the rest of the story 20 hr guest 5
where the peco plant is going (Nov '13) 23 hr Guest 24
Hospital Tax Mon guest 60
AR Who do you support for Secretary of State in Ar... (Oct '10) Mon KatBrownKohl 226
•••
•••
Pocahontas Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Pocahontas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Pocahontas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pocahontas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pocahontas
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••