?

Mountain Home, AR

#22 Sep 7, 2012
i get pell wrote:
without the pell grant I wouldn't be able to go to school and get the education I need to get a good paying job. a lot of people have to have the pell in order to go to school. Anyone who complains about this is an idiot because without it, there would be more people on welfare and foodstamps. just think about that.
You are correct. Anyone who complains is working a factory, fast food, shitty job. Do you see the professors who work there complaining? Nope.
right

Mountain Home, AR

#23 Sep 8, 2012
[QUOTE who="?"]<quoted text>
And you, what do you do for a living?[/QUOTE]I retired after working full time for over 40 years. No pell grants, free college tuition or food stamps. I did draw unemployment for a few months. I'm still taying taxes, which means I'm paying for you and your kids.
Concerned Citizen

Bexar, AR

#24 Sep 9, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the grants are awesome, however i don't agree with people with full rides getting a grant so they can have $2775.00 via check sent to them. The grant should cover their tuition and books and supplies via the school bookstore and the rest should go back. No change left over.
You get to keep YOUR change, don't you? That full ride you are talking about came from GOOD grades and high ACT scores. They don't just hand them out to everyone. There are still books, gas to and from school, other supplies. It is for ANY expense you have regarding school. What do you do with YOUR grant? Tuition at Black River is not much over $1,000 per semester if that. Seems that would leave you with some "change" left over. Where does that go?
Concerned Citizen

Bexar, AR

#25 Sep 9, 2012
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
God bless you. I hope you achieve everything you're trying to. Thank you for answering my question.
How much do get back on your taxes at the end of they year? More than you paid in would be my guess. EIC really helps out doesn't it?
jim

Mountain Home, AR

#26 Sep 9, 2012
If u get earn income on your kids when u file taxes then u getting free money from the government so what the damn different

Cabot, AR

#27 Sep 9, 2012
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You get to keep YOUR change, don't you? That full ride you are talking about came from GOOD grades and high ACT scores. They don't just hand them out to everyone. There are still books, gas to and from school, other supplies. It is for ANY expense you have regarding school. What do you do with YOUR grant? Tuition at Black River is not much over $1,000 per semester if that. Seems that would leave you with some "change" left over. Where does that go?
well u are wrong I'm taking 16 hours this semester and it about 1800 then my book was 200 thar leaves 700 and I have to pay for supplies that aren't included in my tuition so I wnt get hardly anything back not that it matters to me but the fact u think u know everything does
Concerned Citizen

Ash Flat, AR

#28 Sep 9, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
well u are wrong I'm taking 16 hours this semester and it about 1800 then my book was 200 thar leaves 700 and I have to pay for supplies that aren't included in my tuition so I wnt get hardly anything back not that it matters to me but the fact u think u know everything does
Sounds like you are pretty much getting a free ride to me! I dont believe the Constitution said that the American Government would pay you anything to go to college so consider yourself lucky.

Cabot, AR

#29 Sep 9, 2012
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you are pretty much getting a free ride to me! I dont believe the Constitution said that the American Government would pay you anything to go to college so consider yourself lucky.
I am lucky lucky that I dnt have ppl like you deciding my fate bc it there was no help we wouldn't have doctors or lawyers
Concerned Citizen

Ash Flat, AR

#30 Sep 9, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I am lucky lucky that I dnt have ppl like you deciding my fate bc it there was no help we wouldn't have doctors or lawyers
The Dr.s and Lawyers that I know paid their own way. They or their families made way too much money to get a Pell Grant.

Jonesboro, AR

#31 Sep 9, 2012
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dr.s and Lawyers that I know paid their own way. They or their families made way too much money to get a Pell Grant.
wow wasnt they lucky to have so much money. guess they dont know what its like to be poor & have to struggle through life. sorry but i got no sympathy for u or ur rich friends.
Concerned Citizen

Ash Flat, AR

#32 Sep 10, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>wow wasnt they lucky to have so much money. guess they dont know what its like to be poor & have to struggle through life. sorry but i got no sympathy for u or ur rich friends.
LOL-MY rich friends? Struggle? Sympathy? I don't think the rich need much symathy. The fact is that most young people that go to college to become Drs. or Lawyers, come from families that have saved since their birth for their education. You think you are entitled to a free ride, but kids that studied in high school and got good grades and high ACT scores deserve nothing? They worked hard and the ride wasn't free. Yet you want them deprived of the same money that you get because of their hard work and intelligence..........that's about right! Poor is poor whether you are intelligent or not! Sorry, we don't consider ourselves "poor" just because my child qualifies for a pell grant. Actually the income levels to qualify are quite high for an area like Pocahontas. Just because you consider yourself "poor" makes you think you are entitled to some special funding? Most "poor" kids that get the Pell Grants never go on to even finish school. If you don't graduate, you should have to pay back every cent you were granted. That goes for anyone and everyone.

By the way, I believe it only takes a 24 on the ACT score to get a scholarship to BRTC and that's not that hard to make if you try. Being poor has nothing to do with that.
OBAMA

Jonesboro, AR

#33 Sep 10, 2012
Obama and the giveaway programs have created people that are going to classes merely so they do not have to work and take class after class to continue to collect.
Concerned Citizen

Ash Flat, AR

#34 Sep 10, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's the actual intelligence that bothers you, not thinking that I know it all. I have a child at BRTC, so I do know a little about the costs. You don't have to buy your books at the book store. Look online and you can save yourself a bunch of money on your books.

Whatever happened to kids working while they are in college? That goes a long way for gas and supplies.

Do you want to have to pay your "change" back? I doubt it. Don't hate the kids that receive scholarships just because they are smarter than you. If they are entitled to a Pell Grant, they are just as entitled as you.

When you post on Topix or in school, you are not sending a text message so proper English might help.

What do you mean that it doesn't matter to you that you don't get anything back? That's what started this whole mess was that someone else was getting more back than you! lol I just can't understand why you think that someone that receives a scholarship doesn't deserve the full Pell Grant? That is like comparing apples and oranges. One has nothing to do with the other.
really

Clarksville, AR

#35 Sep 10, 2012
Bring on the pell grants. I can't wait to get mind so I can sit at home while all of you work. I wonder if I can get food stamps
jim

Mountain Home, AR

#36 Sep 10, 2012
really wrote:
Bring on the pell grants. I can't wait to get mind so I can sit at home while all of you work. I wonder if I can get food stamps
u are a dumn ass
proud Democrat for OBAMA

Mountain Home, AR

#37 Sep 11, 2012
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL-MY rich friends? Struggle? Sympathy? I don't think the rich need much symathy. The fact is that most young people that go to college to become Drs. or Lawyers, come from families that have saved since their birth for their education. You think you are entitled to a free ride, but kids that studied in high school and got good grades and high ACT scores deserve nothing? They worked hard and the ride wasn't free. Yet you want them deprived of the same money that you get because of their hard work and intelligence..........that's about right! Poor is poor whether you are intelligent or not! Sorry, we don't consider ourselves "poor" just because my child qualifies for a pell grant. Actually the income levels to qualify are quite high for an area like Pocahontas. Just because you consider yourself "poor" makes you think you are entitled to some special funding? Most "poor" kids that get the Pell Grants never go on to even finish school. If you don't graduate, you should have to pay back every cent you were granted. That goes for anyone and everyone.
By the way, I believe it only takes a 24 on the ACT score to get a scholarship to BRTC and that's not that hard to make if you try. Being poor has nothing to do with that.
I Got a pell grant some 15 years ago , at that time I had high grades and they provided me with a check .
Concerned Citizen

United States

#38 Sep 11, 2012
proud Democrat for OBAMA wrote:
<quoted text> I Got a pell grant some 15 years ago , at that time I had high grades and they provided me with a check .
"guest" had the concern that anyone on a scholarship shouldn't get a Pell Grant. It's not based on anything but your income. Anyone with a "free ride" as they suggested is just an entitled to a Pell Grant as anyone else if they meet the income guidelines. Just because they have a scholarship doesn't mean they shouldn't get the same financial help as anyone else. There are books to buy, supplies, lunch, gas and upkeep on their automobiles to get to school (as well as insurance), and other expenses involved in their education. I bet she (guest) would really be upset if she knew they are also eligible for the Arkansas Lottery Scholarship, too, which doesn't just pay tuition, but will pay for expenses involved as well as a one time purchase of a laptop. Good grades pay off in the long run. It's not anyone's fault but hers that she didn't go to college right after high school and just now seeing that she needs an education. We all make mistakes in life, but we also pay the price for them in the long run. I wish her the best with her education. It can't be easy working, with a family, and trying to get an education for a better job. I don't know why she isn't eligible for Pell after only one year. It may not pay for everything, but it sure helps. It's nothing new and Obama didn't start it. It's been around for years.
Romney

Mountain Home, AR

#39 Sep 11, 2012
You're all wasting your breath. After I'm elected there will be no pell grants, social security, medicare or any other help for the non-wealthy. We are taking back our country! We want to get richer by the minute while you peons struggle to get by. We want to start some more wars and raise your taxes to pay for it. We will eliminate capital gains taxes (which is what I pay). I will continue to earn $60,000.00 a day (yes, I said A DAY!) and I will not pay a penny of taxes on it! Instead I will eliminate your deductions so that you will pay more (someone has to). Sweet deal!!! I appreciate your vote stupid poor people.
really

Clarksville, AR

#40 Sep 11, 2012
Romney wrote:
You're all wasting your breath. After I'm elected there will be no pell grants, social security, medicare or any other help for the non-wealthy. We are taking back our country! We want to get richer by the minute while you peons struggle to get by. We want to start some more wars and raise your taxes to pay for it. We will eliminate capital gains taxes (which is what I pay). I will continue to earn $60,000.00 a day (yes, I said A DAY!) and I will not pay a penny of taxes on it! Instead I will eliminate your deductions so that you will pay more (someone has to). Sweet deal!!! I appreciate your vote stupid poor people.
better than that stupid piece of crap we have in there now
Romney

Mountain Home, AR

#41 Sep 11, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>
better than that stupid piece of crap we have in there now
Once again, thank you stupid person.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clowns in pocahontas 49 min lovedemspicks 7
People that go behind there boyfriend back with... (Feb '16) 1 hr Guest 22
What's being done to slow down the stealing? (Jan '15) 11 hr Guest 19
cooler weather 15 hr autumn orange 2
Who are some of the hardest working people in P... (Feb '09) Mon truth 92
mcghee baby abused Sun Pocahontas 5
Aaron and Amber Smith Sun leo 7

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance