next year we elect a new mayor of poc...

next year we elect a new mayor of pocahontas

Posted in the Pocahontas Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Votes are IN

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Aug 3, 2013
This is something really to be looked at! The mayor of Pocahontas .Who will make a good candidate. A lot of things are going on with the city of Pocahontas right now. This is a huge responsibility!!!!! Need jobs!! Leadership ...
Snotty Scotty

Ash Flat, AR

#2 Aug 3, 2013
The Votes are IN wrote:
This is something really to be looked at! The mayor of Pocahontas .Who will make a good candidate. A lot of things are going on with the city of Pocahontas right now. This is a huge responsibility!!!!! Need jobs!! Leadership ...
We sure didn't get a huge responsibility and leadership from old frank or that ding a ling Scott.
Pocahontas has been scraping the bottom of the barrel for many years, maybe they will finally run out of bad apples.

Austin, TX

#3 Aug 3, 2013
no one gives a $ h I t about Pocahontas.... the swim team cage fight mecca...
joke

Bexar, AR

#4 Aug 4, 2013
Has anyone considered that when the Poca school swim team needs to practice they will shut down the new swimming pool to the public just like they did the other one.
Poca school have very nice basketball gyms but they close the community center at night and the public can not use it because the poca kids are having ball games.
same goes for the tennis courts.
why is the school tax money paying for this stuff and maintaining it at the school yet they use and close the swimming pools and community center to the public.
What

Ash Flat, AR

#5 Aug 4, 2013
Joke you have an appropriate name. When did the school get a swim team? That is news to me. Who coaches this so called school team? As far as the community center goes the school does not ever use it for basketball. The youth peewee program does play there. What could be wrong with the youth having a place to play. I think that was one of the main reasons it was built. Something for the youth. I do think it should be open more for people to use but you have no idea what you are talking about. Get a clue before you rant.
But our taxes keep rising

Mountain Home, AR

#6 Aug 4, 2013
What wrote:
Joke you have an appropriate name. When did the school get a swim team? That is news to me. Who coaches this so called school team? As far as the community center goes the school does not ever use it for basketball. The youth peewee program does play there. What could be wrong with the youth having a place to play. I think that was one of the main reasons it was built. Something for the youth. I do think it should be open more for people to use but you have no idea what you are talking about. Get a clue before you rant.
What is that group of kids that the Poky star herald had a picture of?
Wasn't it a swim team or is it future felons for Pocahontas?
Which would be more correct since they are stealing our tax dollars to support their very tiny group of spoiled brats.
Swimming holding my NOSE

Jonesboro, AR

#7 Aug 4, 2013
The POCAHONTAS WATER PARK is going to be so SWEET!!! No matter what you say, it's going to happen... Smiling everyday... Spoild brats, stealing tax dollars ? Maybe a Spoild Brat but Stealing Tax payers money don't think so! Your mouth might overload just a little bit. I think you should have a tax base and everyone pay their part of taxes. I don't see a Hotel and Hamburger tax isn't fair... But our taxes keep rising !! So be it.. Lol to have something around here instead of being stuck in the mud... Lol

Cedar Park, TX

#8 Aug 4, 2013
In real life, when a budget is overloaded, something has to give. Maybe your car is repossessed, maybe the kids wear old shoes, whatever.

So, what happens when the tax base shrinks, and there is no money to pay for the pool? Why, you fools will have to dig a little deeper, won't you. Let's see which fund you will rob... from Peter to pay Paul?

You can prove me wrong by demonstrating how the pool will generate 20 million in revenue.
What

Ash Flat, AR

#9 Aug 5, 2013
But our taxes keep rising wrote:
<quoted text> What is that group of kids that the Poky star herald had a picture of?
Wasn't it a swim team or is it future felons for Pocahontas?
Which would be more correct since they are stealing our tax dollars to support their very tiny group of spoiled brats.
I am just saying the swim team has nothing to do with school. Joke tried to say the school uses all our public facilities.
Pool costs

Bexar, AR

#10 Aug 5, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>I am just saying the swim team has nothing to do with school. Joke tried to say the school uses all our public facilities.
Everyone knows that we really didn't need to spend 7.5 million on a pool . That extra money could have been used for other projects here in Poky. That Grinder fellow sure pulled one over on the older folks when he got the walking track eliminated.
A pavillion for concerts and other activities is sorely needed.
Pocahontas has a long list of important projects that will now not be funded because we are now taxed out . We should not have the second highest sales tax in the state at 9.75%. That isn't going to bring Progress to the city but may spell a deathknell to businesses trying to compete for the customers dollar.
The tax is on about everything...food, water, electricity and will have a choke hold on the lower income folks who can barely get by as it is and who won't be using that pool.
yep

Little Rock, AR

#11 Aug 5, 2013
Linda Collins Smith!! Linda Collins Smith!!

You know with her being big in the tourism things. She'll try her best to attract employers to the area. We need someone who will work instead of being part of the good ole boy system

Gore Springs, MS

#12 Aug 5, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>I am just saying the swim team has nothing to do with school. Joke tried to say the school uses all our public facilities.
just wait and see they will now have a school swim team which will cost us taxpayers more money for a coach and fuel for travel.
Pool costs

Bexar, AR

#13 Aug 5, 2013
yep wrote:
You know with her being big in the tourism things. She'll try her best to attract employers to the area. We need someone who will work instead of being part of the good ole boy system
She did a lot more for Poky than Scott is. At least she owned a business, pay taxes, both in some tourists( not very many and the rock n roll highway concert has been a real joke) Now Mr. Baltz has never held a job that wasn't taxpayer funded and seems to think we can solve all of the areas problems by raising taxes.
I hope that someone else becomes the next State representative, it won't be hard to find someone better than Scott.
Wrong

Waco, TX

#14 Aug 5, 2013
We don't have the second highest tax rate in the state. You are way wrong on that BS!
Pool costs wrote:
<quoted text> Everyone knows that we really didn't need to spend 7.5 million on a pool . That extra money could have been used for other projects here in Poky. That Grinder fellow sure pulled one over on the older folks when he got the walking track eliminated.
A pavillion for concerts and other activities is sorely needed.
Pocahontas has a long list of important projects that will now not be funded because we are now taxed out . We should not have the second highest sales tax in the state at 9.75%. That isn't going to bring Progress to the city but may spell a deathknell to businesses trying to compete for the customers dollar.
The tax is on about everything...food, water, electricity and will have a choke hold on the lower income folks who can barely get by as it is and who won't be using that pool.
info

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#15 Aug 5, 2013
which councilmen/seats are up for relection?
now all 4 yr terms?
is city attny a 2 or 4 yr term?

Cedar Park, TX

#16 Aug 5, 2013
info wrote:
which councilmen/seats are up for relection?
now all 4 yr terms?
is city attny a 2 or 4 yr term?
doesn't matter... no one cares
imo

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#17 Aug 6, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>doesn't matter... no one cares
the 1000+ that voted no and got pissed on by the council ambulance franchise actions and agenda care.
some more were upset with the pool special election tax grab and huge price tag and increased spending.
weak new jobs efforts and results won't help the incumbents.

many voters are ready for change and a chance for better leadership if some different folks will run.

Cedar Park, TX

#18 Aug 6, 2013
that's exactly what I mean... "if" someone will run. No one will run against the entrenched mob that runs this town. The city council found a way to end run around the wishes of a majority of voters regarding the ambulance issue, and the city attorney did a bang up job of manipulating a special election into place for the pool. It is in fact all about what they want... to hell with real people, or the trigh. I'll say it again, not enough people care to vote them out. You get what you deserve, a bunch of self centered boneheads.
Oh Really

Bexar, AR

#19 Aug 6, 2013
Wrong wrote:
We don't have the second highest tax rate in the state. You are way wrong on that BS!
<quoted text>
That would be nice to know where there are even higher tax rates , Please show us.
So when that pool tax kicks in at the first of October and we go to 9.75% SALES TAX WHERE IS THERE ANYTHING HIGHER THAN THAT EXCEPT FOR LITTLE ROCK?
Regardless of whether it is the second , third or fourth highest sales tax ,it will be a burden on those who are already struggling to make a living here.
Or is that All BS? You must be a swim team elitist.
info

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#20 Aug 6, 2013
http://pocahontastaxpayers.org/pocahontas-tax...

batesville may be higher - not so sure about little rock. may also be some small towns that are higher for a few years.

tying up 7.5 mil and 1/2 mil yr forever sure cooked our goose if we NEED a vital or jobs related tax/project any time soon.

low income folks will be hit hard with the additional 1% pool luxury tax. 1% they don't have, and for something they can't afford to pay to use.

people will also shop elsewhere against local businesses when buying bigger ticket items.
1% savings on $500 and up of goods will pay for the gas to drive and shop elsewhere.
high end electronics, tires, appliances, building materials, bulk groceries, etc.
area merchants and the entire local economy will soon see how "progress" is affecting them.
$7.5 million WILL be missed in the local economy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Queen House/ Chef Tommy 5 hr manchildjr 1
kenny adams 11 hr Nonurbiz 18
Aaron Johnson/ Johnston 15 hr Pokey resident 2
Donald Ray Lee 16 hr Anonymous 3
rebecca hoffman 21 hr wondering 4
Anyone know Elisa Tippitt? 22 hr Guest 7
Strawberry Poultry (May '15) 23 hr Rascal 1 2

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance