Randolph County Jail Committee

Posted in the Pocahontas Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#1 Jun 24, 2014
In a special called Jail committee meeting . They made the decision 5-0 to bring before the full court to vote on putting on the ballot 1 cent or 1/2 cent tax increase to build a new jail or add onto the old jail because of over crowding of inmates being housed in Randolph County.

Will the taxpayers in Randolph County support this tax increase?
Have all options been considered?

Committee Members:
Shirley Johnson.....Chair
Dale Morris
Bill Harper
Jody Thielemier
Keith Sutton

United States

#2 Jun 24, 2014
Looks like thugs takin care of thugs to me
concerned

United States

#3 Jun 24, 2014
The problem is the county income is the same as ten years ago while inflation is sinking us. Crime continues to grow, the county jail has more inmates than their supposed to. The chicken house isnt gonna help as much is as needed. Shirley Johnson said in last quorum meeting that the sheriff should turn his eyes away from crime. I think we need new justice members but we cant get the current ones voted out

Mountain Home, AR

#4 Jun 24, 2014
Good o boyz better do somthin
beanerz r on their way ....olé

Location hidden

#5 Jun 25, 2014
How will the ordinance read?

Will it be like the so called "Hospital tax" ?

Will a % go to County General % to the jail % to E911..?

As the County Elected Officials will be out trying to get support for this new tax increase ask them these questions.
Taxpayer

Jonesboro, AR

#6 Jun 25, 2014
It has been said by several that Mr. Johnson said in the meeting that the Sheriff's department needs to "Turn their head to some crimes".
I find the comment totally absurd and he needs to be called out for such ludicrous statements. We have a factory soon coming to our area and are expecting a large influx of Hispanics and knowing what has happened in Batesville, we need to expand out local jail.

I urge everyone to remember Mr. Johnson's comments when he is up for reelection in the future.

Memphis, TN

#7 Jun 25, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
It has been said by several that Mr. Johnson said in the meeting that the Sheriff's department needs to "Turn their head to some crimes".
I find the comment totally absurd and to be called out for such ludicrous statements. We have a factory soon coming to our area and are expecting a large influx of Hispanics and knowing what has happened in Batesville, we need to expand out local jail.
I urge everyone to remember Mr. Johnson's comments when he is up for reelection in the future.
I find your comments absurd.... maybe you should be called out for your racist assumptions.(Hispanics + more jail needed). I say to hell with another tax, let them use the new pool to cool the crooks heels.

United States

#8 Jun 25, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>I find your comments absurd.... maybe you should be called out for your racist assumptions.(Hispanics + more jail needed). I say to hell with another tax, let them use the new pool to cool the crooks heels.
agreed....
tax man

Old Fort, NC

#9 Jun 25, 2014
If the people want to know why local jails are overcrowded, ask Joe Grider and the Democrat party. His Gov. Beebe is the cause of it all. If u don't believe me ask the Sheriff. He can tell u what the Gov. did couple year ago that piled it all on the locals. But I forgot, Democrats are for the poor, that's why we are gonna raise taxes.

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Jun 25, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
I find the comment totally absurd and he needs to be called out for such ludicrous statements. We have a factory soon coming to our area and are expecting a large influx of Hispanics and knowing what has happened in Batesville, we need to expand out local jail.
Mr. Johnson should be commended for what he said. I feel less safe after the war on drugs, etc, etc. This is just a crutch for law enforcement to catch a few losers and act like they are doing something. Lay some people off or cut services if they need more money.

Mountain Home, AR

#11 Jun 25, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>I find your comments absurd.... maybe you should be called out for your racist assumptions.(Hispanics + more jail needed). I say to hell with another tax, let them use the new pool to cool the crooks heels.
Love the "racist" card you play it well. Check this out, if a person told you most crime in St. Louis is done by blacks you would scream "racist" right? Well its true so why deny it? Now ask anyone from Batesville how much crime the Latinos did there you will be shocked.
Now before you blow your stack here is another fact, years white people mostly hillbillies from Tn and Ky went north to the car plants and they caused the crime rate to go up like crazy. You see its often how people think and react to a situation often comes from how they were raised. In parts of S America and Mexico the law is often left up to the locals to deal with it and they sometimes react badly and thus they can carry this attitude up here with them. Folks are going to see a lot of change in this area some will be bad , many on both sides will have to adapt to survive.
concerned

Mountain View, CA

#12 Jun 25, 2014
Guest I believe some of what you do. But the small dopers you speak of are the ones stealing from good people such as yourself and me. While in jail they cant steal. I would vote for a tax if it is only used for jail or patrol, no more padding pockets of "city pimps"

Location hidden

#13 Jun 26, 2014
We currently do have a jail tax of 1/4 cent.
Has our Sheriff been receiving the full 1/4 cent for our Jail?

concerned

United States

#14 Jun 26, 2014
The county general fund has been getting the tax that was set for the jail. It is approximately 250000 dollars total so they will have to repay it. The problem is not our sheriff it is the quorum court members. They have lied for years but only now is it coming to light. The sheriff's budget shrinks each year while the road depts grows. The quorum meets one day a month and gets free health insurance and approximately 300 dollars for working one day a month. Pitiful. Its public knowledge so ask for the facts

Location hidden

#15 Jun 27, 2014
The 1/4 jail tax generates around 420 to 440 thousand dollars a year since 2010.

Did the QC write an ordinance allowing them to use a % of the jail sales tax for County General and We the public were not watching ? Trusting our QC to make wise and sound decisions?

The QC did cut their pay from $300.00 a meeting to $200.00
They use to be paid $100.00 for special called meeting but are paid 0 now.

The QC are always wanting to cut the Sheriff's budget yet will not even think of cutting any of the County General.

Two years ago Dale Morris even asked Sheriff Tribble if he could cut a road deputy...But never asked County General if they could cut one of their deputies.

We need QC members who will speak during the meeting not after.

Mountain Home, AR

#16 Jun 27, 2014
here are some questions to ask the quorum court members:
every time the court meets they ask the sheriff what he can do to cut budget. what can his budget do . one of the QC asked him what he could do for the road dept. Every time they meet the judge and most of the QC are only worried about the road dept. for years they have been taking money from the % that was designated for the upkeep and fund to build for the jail. Now it is time to show where that money is and how it was spent. The sheriff does not have control of that money only the QC does. the jail is a 32 bed facility they house only males there. Right now they have about 53 males there and are housing at least 10 females out of county at a cost of $35 a day per female . These are mostly felony cases that are in the jail waiting trial or to go to prison. These are not ones that you want out on the street. This problem is only going to get worse over time. Mr Shirley Johnson took an oath when he took office and he should be ashamed of suggesting that the sheriff should turn a blind eye to crime. If they do not do something the county will be like Jackson county and the jail will be shut down and they are having to build a new one . ask the QC members what they intend to do about this. the QC and county judge should not just be worried about the road dept. Most only care about the roads.

United States

#17 Jun 27, 2014
guest wrote:
every time the court meets they ask the sheriff what he can do to cut budget. what can his budget do . one of the QC asked him what he could do for the road dept. Every time they meet the judge and most of the QC are only worried about the road dept. for years they have been taking money from the % that was designated for the upkeep and fund to build for the jail. Now it is time to show where that money is and how it was spent. The sheriff does not have control of that money only the QC does. the jail is a 32 bed facility they house only males there. Right now they have about 53 males there and are housing at least 10 females out of county at a cost of $35 a day per female . These are mostly felony cases that are in the jail waiting trial or to go to prison. These are not ones that you want out on the street. This problem is only going to get worse over time. Mr Shirley Johnson took an oath when he took office and he should be ashamed of suggesting that the sheriff should turn a blind eye to crime. If they do not do something the county will be like Jackson county and the jail will be shut down and they are having to build a new one . ask the QC members what they intend to do about this. the QC and county judge should not just be worried about the road dept. Most only care about the roads.
not too worried about the roads either....old ferry looks like shiit

Bexar, AR

#18 Jun 27, 2014
Do like sheriff Joe put them in tents and do road work during the day.

Jonesboro, AR

#19 Jun 27, 2014
guest wrote:
Mr Johnson wants the law to look the other way when his son is out. Don't want him arrested AGAIN!
Roads

Gore Springs, MS

#20 Jun 27, 2014
Randolph CO roads are in the worst shape I have ever seen and the county black top roads are all rough and full of pot holes , wonder when last time Jansen has traveled these roads ????? and where is our tax money being spent ??????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
David hart and mike skeet 1 hr Former coworker 35
Marijuana Dispensary 2 hr SpectateSwamp 6
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 11 hr Guest 38,353
Drunk driver Jessica Johnson wrecked with Natha... (Oct '12) 12 hr Stop 19
Jonathan Noblin 15 hr Curious 3
This town is a methamphetamine toilet 18 hr Jummy 11
A cop named Gamso 23 hr Shiv 5

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance