whats life like in pocahontas?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#42 Jul 25, 2013
thank yiu all, i gree that i just need ro visit, its a shame that some ppl just have nothing better to do that stir up drama, such sites like this could be such a positive thing, really help people, and offer the lay person a perspective. it has helped tho, thank you!
might help

Mountain Home, AR

#43 Jul 25, 2013
If you are on facebook you might consider looking at the facebook pages of local schools, organizations, etc. Lots of times having to post with a real name gets rid of the BS and you can get a more accurate picture. Best of luck to you and your family!!
posible move wrote:
thank yiu all, i gree that i just need ro visit, its a shame that some ppl just have nothing better to do that stir up drama, such sites like this could be such a positive thing, really help people, and offer the lay person a perspective. it has helped tho, thank you!
no more democrats

Bexar, AR

#44 Jul 25, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen, there is 85 open and 16 closed at least part time. Of course they read it on the internet and we all know everything on the new is the truth.
I live here and wen about finding a church so I looked at the local newspaper and never found that many churches.
Many churches in the rural area have just about had it because very few young people continue to attend them.
Please tell me where you found all of these 85 churches.
Dont Know Nothing

Medford, OR

#45 Jul 25, 2013
more unemployedin Medford wrote:
<quoted text>
So you admit that were were run of town,weren't you a druggie?
And then you went and found Town with even a Higher unemployment rate , lousy weather ,high property taxes and high crime!
You are brilliantly stupid.
here are some of the facts
Medford, Oregon Unemployment
The BLS reported that the unemployment rate for Medford fell 0.0 percentage points in May 2013 to 9.5%. For the same month, the metro unemployment rate was 1.7 percentage points higher than the Oregon rate. The unemployment rate in Medford peaked in April 2009 at 13.1% and is now 3.6 percentage points lower. From a post peak low of 9.5% in April 2013, the unemployment rate has now grown by 0.0 percentage points. You can also compare Medford unemployment with unemployment in other cities.
Unemployment Rate May 2013 Month/Month Year/Year
National 7.6%+0.1 -0.6
Oregon 7.8%-0.1 -1.0
Medford 9.5% 0.0 -1.4
Note: Metro level data is now seasonally adjusted.1 All comparisons are made with May 2013 data as June metro level unemployment data has not yet been released.
The city violent crime rate for Medford in 2010 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 1.08% and the city property crime rate in Medford was higher than the national property crime rate average by 48.82%.
LOL what? Take your superficial numbers and try to explain them to one of your republican buddies. They have a knack for believing lies so you might pull wool over their eyes but not someone who is living in the very town you are running down. I grew up in Pokey and know exactly how it runs, and guess what, nothing has changed. Medford; however, is expanding at a rapid rate and the city has bought over 6k additional acres for population growth over the next 10 years. An expected 60k additional residents to the Medford and Northern California areas are expected. New malls, restaurants, and shopping centers are OPENING not closing, unlike Pokey and NE Arkansas. Yeah, I am not going to lie, Medford is a pretty violent city. That is why ignorant b*tches like yourself wind up either homeless on the corner or behind a building in a ditch waiting for the cops, if ya know what I mean. Before you think you know what you are talking about, you must first experience life. In order to do that you must get outside that little box of a town you like to call home and see what the world is like. Unfortunately for you, you also have to have money, which is something not easy to come by in a state that taxes you for every single thing you do and only pays you a minimum wage of 7.25 an hour. Think before you speak. Medford is a growing metropolis and businesses see that. Freeways are expanding and so are commercial goods. We have had over 20 new businesses added over the last year, can you say the same for Pokey or NE Arkansas combined? I think not. Cost of living is higher here but the pay is far more respectable. Lousy weather? LOL that is why everyone moves here. Southern Oregon is known for its unusually pleasant climate, an hour and a half away from the coast, many lakes, 30 min from skiing, jet boat rides, a host of things to do including indoor skating, skate parks, waterparks, not to mention the fishing is EXCELLENT. I know your jealous, that is ok though, I will be thinking about you and your welfare/unemployment check when I am catching 30lb salmon in the mountains.
no more democrats

Bexar, AR

#46 Jul 26, 2013
Dont Know Nothing wrote:
<quoted text>LOL what? Take your superficial numbers and try to explain them to one of your republican buddies. They have a knack for believing lies so you might pull wool over their eyes but not someone who is living in the very town you are running down. I grew up in Pokey and know exactly how it runs, and guess what, nothing has changed. Medford; however, is expanding at a rapid rate and the city has bought over 6k additional acres for population growth over the next 10 years. An expected 60k additional residents to the Medford and Northern California areas are expected. New malls, restaurants, and shopping centers are OPENING not closing, unlike Pokey and NE Arkansas. Yeah, I am not going to lie, Medford is a pretty violent city. That is why ignorant b*tches like yourself wind up either homeless on the corner or behind a building in a ditch waiting for the cops, if ya know

what I mean. Before you think you know what you are talking about,

you must first experience life. In order to do that you must get outside that little box of a town you like to call home and see what the world is like. Unfortunately for you, you also have to have money, which is something not easy to come by in a state that taxes you for every single thing you do and only pays you a minimum wage of 7.25 an hour. Think before you speak. Medford is a growing metropolis and businesses see that. Freeways are expanding and so are commercial goods. We have had over 20 new businesses added over the last year, can you say the same for Pokey or NE Arkansas combined? I think not. Cost of living is higher here but the pay is far more respectable. Lousy weather? LOL that is why everyone moves here. Southern Oregon is known for its unusually pleasant climate, an hour and a half away from the coast, many lakes, 30 min from skiing, jet boat rides, a host of things to do including indoor skating, skate parks, waterparks, not to mention the fishing is EXCELLENT. I know your jealous, that is ok though, I will be thinking about you and your welfare/unemployment check when I am catching 30lb salmon in the mountains.
I have relatives who live near Medford and as always you are full of it .
Those Figures about the unemployment rate are from the Oregon department of Labor.
But They won't know what they are talking about, only You the great genius who had to leave Arkansas.

Oregon is a paradise for an unemployed loser that you are because there is no state sales tax, so all the welfare money you collect along with the section 8 housing must working out well for you.
And I doubt you even have a fishing license, since you can't get it free. It takes skills to catch a Salmon which you just don't have.
If Medford is so great why are you on Pocahontas topix and spending all this time. Why aren't you out finding a job or at least growing some Marijuana in the national forest.
Are your kids old enough to join one of the Medford area gangs?
Here is a list.
MEDFORD, JACKSON COUNTY

* Brown Nation 13
* Ready And Willing 13
* Varrio Dub Flats 13
* Fremont Street Norte 14
* Varrio Chico London 14
* Varrio Grande Catorce 14
* Varrio Medfaz Norte 14
friend

Pineville, AR

#47 Jul 26, 2013
Like any small town you have pros and cons. Yes this town has people in it that do drugs. Just like any other town. I would not look to this website for good information. Not saying that everyone on here is a bad source, but a lot of people like to gossip and speculate about people, places, and small businesses in our area. I'd recommend the same websites that have been previously stated.
Dont Know Nothing

Medford, OR

#48 Jul 26, 2013
no more democrats wrote:
<quoted text>
I have relatives who live near Medford and as always you are full of it .
Those Figures about the unemployment rate are from the Oregon department of Labor.
But They won't know what they are talking about, only You the great genius who had to leave Arkansas.
Oregon is a paradise for an unemployed loser that you are because there is no state sales tax, so all the welfare money you collect along with the section 8 housing must working out well for you.

If Medford is so great why are you on Pocahontas topix and spending all this time. Why aren't you out finding a job or at least growing some Marijuana in the national forest.
Are your kids old enough to join one of the Medford area gangs?
Here is a list.
MEDFORD, JACKSON COUNTY
* Brown Nation 13
* Ready And Willing 13
* Varrio Dub Flats 13
* Fremont Street Norte 14
* Varrio Chico London 14
* Varrio Grande Catorce 14
* Varrio Medfaz Norte 14
LOL you don't have squat living in or around Medford so quit pretending like you do. I do not care what the 2011 or 2012 stats are that you were so quick to change to 2013, and to afraid to post a link.

http://stats.bls.gov/eag/eag.or_medford_msa.h...

There is your unemployment and employment rate from the bureau of labor statistics for Medford's economy. Fact is unemployment rate is trending down and employment is trending up. Wish I could say the same for your area and state. Like I said before I chose to leave Arkansas so maybe you should put down that crack pipe and reread what I wrote. Yah Oregon has no state sales tax and that is a good thing is it not? Yah I thought so. Also, Oregon as a state has trended down in unemployment rate as well. Do not think you can same the same about Arkansas, because you cannot. Why do you assume I do not have a job? Because the unemployment rate in the area is 9.4% and trending downward? Even if Arkansas' unemployment rate is only 7.4% it is still trending up, not down, and if Pocahontas was actually big enough to keep stats on then you would see that little Podunk town of yours if failing not growing. Everyone is getting jobs in Jonesboro and Little Rock, that is why those cities are growing, not Pocahontas. LOL it takes a fishing pole and the knowledge of how to tie a line and put some eggs on the hook, not skill, to catch a salmon. Why would you have to grow marijuana in a national forest? It is legal to grow as long as you have a license. Six mature plants per person and like 12 babies no more than a foot tall and a foot wide. I thought you knew everything about this area, c'mon now. LOL and I know the gangs here in this area. It is not them you have to be afraid of, it is the growers. Those gangs are nothing but a bunch of wanna be thugs, like you. I will state once again that the NE Arkansas area is crap for jobs, mainly Pocahontas. Businesses are LEAVING, while, like I said, Medford is GROWING, not only jobs but other things LOL.

http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Files/JUNE%202013...

81 NEW businesses added in the month of June alone. Most of which are home or family owned businesses; however, we did have 1 restaurant add around 100 jobs alone to the city. Name is Texas Roadhouse. Ever heard of it? Didn't think you have since they would not come to failing Podunk town. Also a strip mall along with a new Natural Grocery store, and another restaurant chain and another super Wal-Mart. I can see the town growing unlike you from your computer at home looking on Google earth, wishing it was Pocahontas. Tell your "relatives" they should probably get outside their nursing home if they want to see any change probably be surprised with the new $27M highway expansion off of Delta Waters and Springbrook. Fact is this city and area is growing and your area is dying, don't get mad at me because you cannot save enough money to move.
just sayin

Mountain Home, AR

#49 Jul 27, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Freedom of religion is fine, but all these crazy holy rollers want to run everybodys lives. They don't want any drinking in the county so thet vote it dry. Like that keeps anyone from drinking? They just force everyone who wants to pick up a 30 pack to drive 30 or 40 miles, causing accidents, wasting gas and adding polution. If the county was wet they could pay for their stupid pool with the beer taxes alone. A lot of people buy their gas in Mo while picking up their beer. That's more taxes going out of the county. We don't need three churches on every city block and three or four every mile going out of town. Go to church and do your thing, but let other people have their freedom to do theirs. Off topic I know, but I wanted to say it anyway.
If you don't like it here, move to Paragould! They are a wet county and they have factories to work in. So you wouldn't have to drive so far to get your beer.
cold facts medford sucks

Bexar, AR

#50 Jul 27, 2013
You just can not stand the truth can you here is some data from 2013
Medford, Oregon Job Growth
There were 75,300 jobs in Medford, Oregon in May 2013 according to the CES survey of employers. The CPS survey of households showed 87,770 employed persons for the month. Medford lost 200 jobs in May 2013 according to the CES survey while the broader CPS measure of employment fell by 181 (Comparing CES and CPS employment numbers.). You can also compare Medford job growth to job growth in other cities.
Employment Survey May 2013 Month/Month Year/Year
CES 75,300 -200 -200
CPS 87,770 -181 -1,683
it's got to suck to be such a loser, we already know that you are a doper,so having all those plants should soon put you in a comma.

Now I showed you all the new updated job stats and the crime stats.
I have lived in many small and large towns and have traveled the world on business. I also don't live in Pocahontas,but I do know all about you.
Still butt hurt about being kickout aren't you!
If you are so happy there in Medford then why are you wasting your time here on topix.
Also Medford has a significant air pollution problem ,being stuck in that bowl also referred to as a hell hole.
You got to have your vehicle tested for pollution and of course there is a haze of pollution all winter long.
7.222 Operation of Solid Fuel Burning Device Prohibition

(1) The operation of a solid fuel burning device within the City of Medford during a high pollution period shall be prohibited unless an exemption has been granted pursuant to Section 7.224. A rebuttable presumption of a violation for which a citation shall be issued shall arise if smoke is being discharged through a flue or chimney after a time period of three hours has elapsed from the time of declaration of the high pollution period. Any resident of the premises who is over the age of eighteen years shall be presumed to be the violator unless rebutted by contrary evidence.

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, the operation of an Oregon Certified solid fuel burning device shall be permitted during a high pollution period so long as no visible emissions of smoke are discharged through a flue or chimney after a time period of three hours has elapsed from the time of the declaration of the high pollution period. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to emissions of smoke during the starting or refueling of a fire for a period not to exceed 30 minutes in any four-hour period.

(3) No property owner within the City of Medford shall rent or lease a residential unit that is not equipped with a secondary source of heat other than a solid fuel burning device, unless the landlord has a valid exemption under Section 7.224. Should a violation of this section occur it shall be attributable to the property owner and not to the tenant or lessee.
You still are the welfare
well

Mountain Home, AR

#51 Jul 27, 2013
arguing with the fruits and nuts on the left coast is useless.
anyone comparing and bragging about a town of 70k vs a town of 7k is an idiot.
yes medford sucks

Ash Flat, AR

#52 Jul 27, 2013
Dont Know Nothing wrote:
<quoted text>LOL what? Take your superficial numbers and try to explain them to one of your republican buddies. They have a knack for believing lies so you might pull wool over their eyes but not someone who is living in the very town you are running down. I grew up in Pokey and know exactly how it runs, and guess what, nothing has changed. Medford; however, is expanding at a rapid rate and the city has bought over 6k additional acres for population growth over the next 10 years. An expected 60k additional residents to the Medford and Northern California areas are expected. New malls, restaurants, and shopping centers are OPENING not closing, unlike Pokey and NE Arkansas. Yeah, I am not going to lie, Medford is a pretty violent city. That is why ignorant b*tches like yourself wind up either homeless on the corner or behind a building in a ditch waiting for the cops, if ya know what I mean. Before you think you know what you are talking about, you must first experience life. In order to do that you must get outside that little box of a town you like to call home and see what the world is like. Unfortunately for you, you also have to have money, which is something not easy to come by in a state that taxes you for every single thing you do and only pays you a minimum wage of 7.25 an hour. Think before you speak. Medford is a growing metropolis and businesses see that. Freeways are expanding and so are commercial goods. We have had over 20 new businesses added over the last year, can you say the same for Pokey or NE Arkansas combined? I think not. Cost of living is higher here but the pay is far more respectable. Lousy weather? LOL that is why everyone moves here. Southern Oregon is known for its unusually pleasant climate, an hour and a half away from the coast, many lakes, 30 min from skiing, jet boat rides, a host of things to do including indoor skating, skate parks, waterparks, not to mention the fishing is EXCELLENT. I know your jealous, that is ok though, I will be thinking about you and your welfare/unemployment check when I am catching 30lb salmon in the mountains.
Medford, Oregon truly sucks - 1/7/2012

Dan
Medford, OR

I have lived here for more then 15 years and finally I can afford to get out of here. I'm moving in a month to Salem, Oregon and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! Medford is a whole and a black whole that will get you stuck and rarely anyone is able to move away. No jobs here, we have the highest unemployment in the country, all the jobs they do have are part time, we have over 25k people out of work so when a job does open the chance of getting it are slim, Rent is a disaster and always has been, medford landlords expect tenants to pay the whole mortgage. To rent a crappy, in the worst part of town 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home is going to cost you 1200 a month. There are shootings here all the time, gangs, and just two days ago I watched the police kill a 20 year old kid in the Albertsons parking lot. Everything cost a fortune too!!! I went to Papa Murphy s to get a pizza and they raised prices $4 per pizza, when I asked why the huge jump in price they stated because Oregon min. wage just went up .20 cents,.... does this make seance to you guys? Medford does this every time, they give the increase to help with rising cost of living expenses and each time they raise it prices go up 200%, the mall was the same, can't get a subway sub for under $9 dollars now... someone should stop this from happening but they wont. The city once again today blocked HUD housing from building a 100 unit complex! this is what to expect if you live here. We have nothing, all the cool stores closed or are closing this month, there is no economy, no affordable housing and milk cost $4.99 a gallon, and our gas is always the nations highest yesterday still being $3.89 for reg. gas. We have lost 30k people in the last 4 years. NO mills, no jobs, high prices, screw this place.
yes medford sucks

Ash Flat, AR

#53 Jul 27, 2013
According to lots of people who would know
13 8
Dan
Medford, OR

I have lived here for more then 15 years and finally I can afford to get out of here. I'm moving in a month to Salem, Oregon and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! Medford is a whole and a black whole that will get you stuck and rarely anyone is able to move away. No jobs here, we have the highest unemployment in the country, all the jobs they do have are part time, we have over 25k people out of work so when a job does open the chance of getting it are slim, Rent is a disaster and always has been, medford landlords expect tenants to pay the whole mortgage. To rent a crappy, in the worst part of town 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home is going to cost you 1200 a month. There are shootings here all the time, gangs, and just two days ago I watched the police kill a 20 year old kid in the Albertsons parking lot. Everything cost a fortune too!!! I went to Papa Murphy s to get a pizza and they raised prices $4 per pizza, when I asked why the huge jump in price they stated because Oregon min. wage just went up .20 cents,.... does this make seance to you guys? Medford does this every time, they give the increase to help with rising cost of living expenses and each time they raise it prices go up 200%, the mall was the same, can't get a subway sub for under $9 dollars now... someone should stop this from happening but they wont. The city once again today blocked HUD housing from building a 100 unit complex! this is what to expect if you live here. We have nothing, all the cool stores closed or are closing this month, there is no economy, no affordable housing and milk cost $4.99 a gallon, and our gas is always the nations highest yesterday still being $3.89 for reg. gas. We have lost 30k people in the last 4 years. NO mills, no jobs, high prices, screw this place.
yes Medford sucks

Ash Flat, AR

#54 Jul 27, 2013
yes medford sucks wrote:
According to lots of people who would know
13 8
Dan
Medford, OR
Not So Attractive - 10/1/2010
8 9
Mike
Medford, OR

To Be Honest about Medford,Its Should Be Called "Meth"ford, Its a Dump.. Crime is Rising, there are Illegals Everywhere. Cant Find a Decent Job Anywhere. Summers are Stifling, There Really isn't a thing about Medford that Makes it a Nice Place, The Best Part about Medford is Leaving It"."
Max

Jonesboro, AR

#55 Jul 28, 2013
Most of these post aren't true, I live here and I agree, yes it's a boring town. Yes there are a few meth heads. Yes there are WAY too many churches and hypocrites. But compared to a lot of other towns in northeast ar, this place is gold. For example,try Corning,Newport, or Hoxie if you think this place sucks
local

Jonesboro, AR

#56 Aug 5, 2013
Pocahontas is a good town to raise kids in. We have an excellent public school system and also St. Paul Elementary school ( preK - 6th grades). There are numerous sports and school activities for kids of all ages. People here are friendly. Most of the comments you read on topix will be negative. Come for a visit and see what you think!
Someone

Jonesboro, AR

#57 Aug 5, 2013
information wrote:
<quoted text> There are NO jobs here, NO entertainment here, this town is ugly,full of abandoned houses. The schools suck big time, most of the kids who graduate high school here can't read or write above 2nd grade level, too many churches, because whenever someone gets pissed off they go start their own church. This town is full of holier than thou bible thumpers, the streets are full of pot holes, etc etc.
That's definitely wrong. Life is what you make it here just like anywhere else. It's not that bad if a town. Schools here are great. Awesome school and teachers.

Cedar Park, TX

#58 Aug 5, 2013
hate to say it, but...
I've seen the worry and fear in the faces of young folks as they realize there is very little hope for a future in Pocahontas. The very thing we need, the vigor and optimism of youth, is siphoned away to the few opportunities for decent wages in Jonesboro or Paragould.
Pocahontas is the worst example of cronyism in local government in the state of Arkansas. The local taxes are undeniably high, due to grandiose, over the top spending. Not to mention a local hospital that begs the city for hundreds of thousands of dollars every year, clutching at straws to keep its doors open.
I'd say don't move there unless you've already made your fortune, and your children are grown with their own careers. Oh, yeah.... did I mention the mosquitoes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 43 min BARNEYII 38,322
This town is a methamphetamine toilet 9 hr Detroitcandy 8
New apartmens 16 hr A Joke 29
A cop named Gamso 17 hr Shiv 4
Migraines 17 hr Headache 1
Magen Pascal 19 hr MPscl 1
Rachel Spears? 21 hr MPscl 12

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance