Ash Flat, AR

#21 Jul 19, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>
"most of the kids who graduate high school here can't read or write above 2nd grade level"
if you think that is "truth", you are as stupid as the idiot that originally posted it.
"Pocahontas is a corrupt sick place"
more so than any other cities our size?
got facts, stats, or figures to back up that claim?
if Pocahontas is "corrupt and sick" - then the whole state and country is.
"the fbi stays here?"
really?
more than normal or any place else?
how often have they pressed charges here the last 25 years vs in other counties? got facts?
fbi were probably asked by someone to come in because one of the convicted was married to the former police chief and they didn't feel it should not be investigated by him.
why do you have a problem with the freedom to practice religion and having places to do it?
You seem to take lines from seperate posters and lump them all together. As far as religion, they can do as they chose however its stupid that there is one church for every 20 people in this county. Churches are tax exempt so the rest of us have to make up the differance. As far as the FBI being here, out of the last 20 years this area has had 20 percent of the lawyers go to prison, one state trooper, a police chief's wife get convicted, several others get caught but wiggle off the hook. For a dry county we have as many or more drunks than most areas but we deny it however you can walk from Poky to the state line and step on a beer can every step. That is tax dollars being spent out of the county. The "job creators" havn't created a job for anyone except themselves in the last 15 years. Taxes are higher than anywhere else and the tax base is gone. They just raised property tax on us property owners again, of course this doesn't affect renters and welfare folks.
You are nuts

Ash Flat, AR

#22 Jul 19, 2013
Gooberman wrote:
Go to pine bluff, Helena, or Dermott for the best quality of life--poky is dead
you are without a doubt a complete MORON!
Pine bluff is the most dangerous small town in the South, black gangs and high murder rates.

Pine Bluff, Arkansas is the most dangerous town in America despite its rather small population of 49,000 people and its disconnect from major cities.

While the town houses only 49,000 residents, the economic downturn and rising gang activity led to 18 murders in Pine Bluff through all of 2012. Eighteen murders with a population of 49,000 is seven times the national average per capita.

2013 isn’t shaping up to be any better. Two people have already been killed in the town, placing it in second place behind Detroit, Michigan, a city with a population of 1.8 million people.

Speaking to The Independent, Police Chief Jeff Hubank proclaimed:

“To have 18 homicides is just an outrageous number for a town this size.”

Hubank further notes:

“The reality is, the little old white lady with the kitten on her lap is perfectly safe in this town. But if you are slinging dope on the east side, you are looking to pay with your life.”

Pine Bluff only recently fell into complete disarray after surviving the great flood of 1927, the Great Depression, and racial tensions in the 1960s.

Violence has become so pronounced in Pine Bluff that 16,000 people have fled the town over the last 30 years. The town’s schools have also fallen well behind, and much of the city’s infrastructure has not been upgraded or looked after properly in years.

In one case, a police officer had a gun held to his head during a gas station robbery. The officer managed to shoot and kill the robber but not before he was shot in his bullet proof vest.

Pine Bluff has become so dangerous that some police officers moved to the town in the hopes of winning an uphill battle against the rise in gangland activity.

To put Pine Bluff’s high crime rate into perspective, here is a list of American’s most dangerous cities and towns as ranked by the CQ Press:

1. Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, Michigan

2. Pine Bluff, Arkansas

3. Flint, Michigan

4. Memphis, Tennessee/Mississippi/Arkansas

5. Stockton, California

6. New Orleans, Louisiana

7. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

8. Little Rock, Arkansas

9. Mobile, Alabama

10. Jackson, Tennessee
U r a liar

Ash Flat, AR

#23 Jul 19, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to take lines from seperate posters and lump them all together. As far as religion, they can do as they chose however its stupid that there is one church for every 20 people in this county. Churches are tax exempt so the rest of us have to make up the differance. As far as the FBI being here, out of the last 20 years this area has had 20 percent of the lawyers go to prison, one state trooper, a police chief's wife get convicted, several others get caught but wiggle off the hook. For a dry county we have as many or more drunks than most areas but we deny it however you can walk from Poky to the state line and step on a beer can every step. That is tax dollars being spent out of the county. The "job creators" havn't created a job for anyone except themselves in the last 15 years. Taxes are higher than anywhere else and the tax base is gone. They just raised property tax on us property owners again, of course this doesn't affect renters and welfare folks.
Here is the correct figures for the number of churches in Randolph county. Right off the internet 53 that's right there are 53 and the population of the county in 2011 was 18,017 so there are 1 church per 346 people. Nor is any of your other figures correct.
You are one hate filled bigot.
most would know

Ash Flat, AR

#24 Jul 19, 2013
"Go to pine bluff, Helena, or Dermott for the best quality of life--poky is dead"

obviously sarcasm
Bubba

Mountain Home, AR

#25 Jul 19, 2013
U r a liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the correct figures for the number of churches in Randolph county. Right off the internet 53 that's right there are 53 and the population of the county in 2011 was 18,017 so there are 1 church per 346 people. Nor is any of your other figures correct.
You are one hate filled bigot.
I doubt that all these little churches are listed anywhere on the internet. I know there are more than 53!
ur clueless

Ash Flat, AR

#26 Jul 19, 2013
Our sales taxes are no where near the highest and our property taxes are THE lowest in the entire state and they haven't been raised in YEARS
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxes are higher than anywhere else and the tax base is gone. They just raised property tax on us property owners again, of course this doesn't affect renters and welfare folks.
Bubba

Mountain Home, AR

#27 Jul 19, 2013
ur clueless wrote:
Our sales taxes are no where near the highest and our property taxes are THE lowest in the entire state and they haven't been raised in YEARS
<quoted text>
You're wrong about the property taxes. Mine went up a few years ago when they re-assessed it. I got a letter yesterday saying it went up again. They'll get our money one way or another. Just one more reason it's such a shame that the morons in town voted to raise sales taxes to pay for a stupid $7,500,000 pool.

Ash Flat, AR

#28 Jul 19, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I doubt that all these little churches are listed anywhere on the internet. I know there are more than 53!
Amen, there is 85 open and 16 closed at least part time. Of course they read it on the internet and we all know everything on the new is the truth.

Ash Flat, AR

#29 Jul 19, 2013
ur clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Beaver, the 50's called , they are looking for you.
Sam I am

Cherokee Village, AR

#30 Jul 20, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Beaver, the 50's called , they are looking for you.
A better place a better time.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#31 Jul 24, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>That depends on what you like to do..
helena is one area near me, taht i am trying to leave,, if Poc is anything similar to helena area, i will run to Poc!!

Location hidden

#32 Jul 24, 2013
i meant to say that i woul run the other direction from Poc if it was anyting like Helena
turty

Ash Flat, AR

#33 Jul 24, 2013
Great my ass! There aint no jobs, u pretty much have to go to college to make something in this town i should know lived here all my life and then sometimes if u do get a college degree u have to know the right people to get the good job!

Location hidden

#34 Jul 24, 2013
i have a 10 year old and 6 yr old. I am near helena ark, and its aweful down here. very racial,lots ots lots of lawyers that stir up the race card because it pays, onl good schoold cost me $1200 a month, lrural and is 3 times or 4 times higher, everyone is depressed, the majoroty of uswant out, looking for a more positivearea. I prefer small towns, love th sense of community, andyards, business streets all clean and manicured. I know that drugs,trash, poverty,run down areas are everwhere. the ealthy people here either moe away, or sta /c they own so much, he middle class stay b/c they cant afford to mov out or due to family here, the poor are sad sad people, stuck in the public schools, living in ghetto, crime stricken neighborhoods. etc. I figure Poc being so close to Jonesboro would be great. More opportunities near Jones. My closest city is L Rock, which is over 2 hours away, or Southaven, Ms a little over an hour. i appreciate all the comments. anyone ever been down south and can relate??
turty

Ash Flat, AR

#35 Jul 24, 2013
Well walnut ridge may be alright its only about 10 min away from pocahontas, its a little bit smaller but people in pocahontas aint really that friendly.
Dont Know Nothing

Medford, OR

#36 Jul 24, 2013
turty wrote:
Well walnut ridge may be alright its only about 10 min away from pocahontas, its a little bit smaller but people in pocahontas aint really that friendly.
Let me ask you and ANYONE who has a choice to move in location. Why would ANYONE want to move to an area where jobs are leaving, taxes are high, and officials oppress the opinions of the general populous? Don't let me forget about having a police county in almost every one of the areas in the northeast. There are more cops that school teachers, in a low crime rate area, what a joke.
Dont Know Nothing

Medford, OR

#37 Jul 24, 2013
than*
Final word

Mountain Home, AR

#38 Jul 25, 2013
Let me offer some advice: if you are really interested in possibly moving to Pocahontas then come see amd experience it for yourself. I think it is a great place to live and some others don't, but whatever you do don't listen to the average commenter on Topix. In our area most of them are complainers and troublemakers that just like attacking any and everything; People who are chronically negative and make up lies. One example is the person who attacked the quality of our local schools. Pocahomtas has excellent schools and you can verify that by comparing test results to other local and statewide averages.
FYI

Jonesboro, AR

#40 Jul 25, 2013
posible move wrote:
i have a 10 year old and 6 yr old. I am near helena ark, and its aweful down here. very racial,lots ots lots of lawyers that stir up the race card because it pays, onl good schoold cost me $1200 a month, lrural and is 3 times or 4 times higher, everyone is depressed, the majoroty of uswant out, looking for a more positivearea. I prefer small towns, love th sense of community, andyards, business streets all clean and manicured. I know that drugs,trash, poverty,run down areas are everwhere. the ealthy people here either moe away, or sta /c they own so much, he middle class stay b/c they cant afford to mov out or due to family here, the poor are sad sad people, stuck in the public schools, living in ghetto, crime stricken neighborhoods. etc. I figure Poc being so close to Jonesboro would be great. More opportunities near Jones. My closest city is L Rock, which is over 2 hours away, or Southaven, Ms a little over an hour. i appreciate all the comments. anyone ever been down south and can relate??
The streets here are dirty and in poor condition, the schools suck, no jobs here, taxes are high.
more unemployedin Medford

Ash Flat, AR

#41 Jul 25, 2013
Dont Know Nothing wrote:
<quoted text>Let me ask you and ANYONE who has a choice to move in location. Why would ANYONE want to move to an area where jobs are leaving, taxes are high, and officials oppress the opinions of the general populous? Don't let me forget about having a police county in almost every one of the areas in the northeast. There are more cops that school teachers, in a low crime rate area, what a joke.
So you admit that were were run of town,weren't you a druggie?
And then you went and found Town with even a Higher unemployment rate , lousy weather ,high property taxes and high crime!
You are brilliantly stupid.
here are some of the facts
Medford, Oregon Unemployment

The BLS reported that the unemployment rate for Medford fell 0.0 percentage points in May 2013 to 9.5%. For the same month, the metro unemployment rate was 1.7 percentage points higher than the Oregon rate. The unemployment rate in Medford peaked in April 2009 at 13.1% and is now 3.6 percentage points lower. From a post peak low of 9.5% in April 2013, the unemployment rate has now grown by 0.0 percentage points. You can also compare Medford unemployment with unemployment in other cities.
Unemployment Rate May 2013 Month/Month Year/Year
National 7.6%+0.1 -0.6
Oregon 7.8%-0.1 -1.0
Medford 9.5% 0.0 -1.4
Note: Metro level data is now seasonally adjusted.1 All comparisons are made with May 2013 data as June metro level unemployment data has not yet been released.
The city violent crime rate for Medford in 2010 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 1.08% and the city property crime rate in Medford was higher than the national property crime rate average by 48.82%.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr BARNEYII 30,459
Benny Blackwell 6 hr Rev Al 4
Daycare 7 hr JCB 2
Do the theatre still have good shows? 7 hr the truth 15
I must be obsolete 12 hr curious 8
Crystal Haynes (Aug '09) 13 hr greenbrier 36
Can't Sleep Dog Still BARKING! (Apr '13) Wed Jack 45
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web