whats life like in pocahontas?

Posted in the Pocahontas Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#1 Jul 17, 2013
i am from south ar, and possibly moving to pocahontas, was wondering what the life is like? I know its a tiny town, but cant find much about it online. It looks to be about an hour from jonesboro? what else? anything that you can tell me would help. what about the small college? is that the only thing of size there? what about schools-what are they like? what do people do for fun? recreation. sports? etc..
guest1

Jonesboro, AR

#2 Jul 17, 2013
you don't want to move here. Nothing good here
links and info

Mountain Home, AR

#3 Jul 17, 2013
life is what you make it.
imo, this is a great area to live in.
lot of info and links on the sites below.

http://randolphcomuseum.org/map.htm
http://www.randolphchamber.com/
http://www.cityofpocahontas.com/
http://www.seerandolphcounty.com/

not sure where you're coming from in south arkansas, but wouldn't consider our city tiny at about 7000 folks.
18000 total in the county.
a few small rural towns of 200 to 500 within 15 miles.

good area schools and 2 yr college/nursing program.
city youth and adult sports leagues.
nice community center, sports complex, fields and parks.
new $7 million pool complex coming next year.
walmart 24 hr supercenter
dry on alcohol except moose, legion, and country club/18 hole course.
some factory jobs - most start at $8-10/hr.
jonesboro and paragould has some higher paying jobs $10 to $15, an hour away.
memphis 2hr and little rck 2.5 hs away
many churches, banks, small retail, chain fast food/restaurants, dollar stores, etc here. hospital and doctors here. new 15 million nursing home being built.

county is about half flat row crop farms and half hills. hills are mostly timber with some cattle farms and creeks. city is on the river separating the 2 areas.
5 rivers, some sandy with nice beaches, some clear and rocky. excellent for boating, fishing, and floating.
10,000+ acre duck/deer woods, state parks and 400 acre lake Charles nearby. several boat ramps in the county.

homes and rent are cheap enough. 50k or 500 month rent for 1000ft homes.

folks are friendly here and it's a decent place to live and/or raise a family. tho lacking a skating rink and movie theatre, there are plenty of other social, outdoor, church, various interest clubs, school things to do if interested.
come visit and look around and see for yourself.
Bubba

Bexar, AR

#4 Jul 17, 2013
links and info wrote:
life is what you make it.
imo, this is a great area to live in.
lot of info and links on the sites below.
http://randolphcomuseum.org/map.htm
http://www.randolphchamber.com/
http://www.cityofpocahontas.com/
http://www.seerandolphcounty.com/
not sure where you're coming from in south arkansas, but wouldn't consider our city tiny at about 7000 folks.
18000 total in the county.
a few small rural towns of 200 to 500 within 15 miles.
good area schools and 2 yr college/nursing program.
city youth and adult sports leagues.
nice community center, sports complex, fields and parks.
new $7 million pool complex coming next year.
walmart 24 hr supercenter
dry on alcohol except moose, legion, and country club/18 hole course.
some factory jobs - most start at $8-10/hr.
jonesboro and paragould has some higher paying jobs $10 to $15, an hour away.
memphis 2hr and little rck 2.5 hs away
many churches, banks, small retail, chain fast food/restaurants, dollar stores, etc here. hospital and doctors here. new 15 million nursing home being built.
county is about half flat row crop farms and half hills. hills are mostly timber with some cattle farms and creeks. city is on the river separating the 2 areas.
5 rivers, some sandy with nice beaches, some clear and rocky. excellent for boating, fishing, and floating.
10,000+ acre duck/deer woods, state parks and 400 acre lake Charles nearby. several boat ramps in the county.
homes and rent are cheap enough. 50k or 500 month rent for 1000ft homes.
folks are friendly here and it's a decent place to live and/or raise a family. tho lacking a skating rink and movie theatre, there are plenty of other social, outdoor, church, various interest clubs, school things to do if interested.
come visit and look around and see for yourself.
You forgot to mention all the meth heads.
well

Mountain Home, AR

#5 Jul 17, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>You forgot to mention all the meth heads.
idiots, meth heads, alcoholics, and pill poppers are everywhere. doubt they are a higher percentage here than most other places.
Amazed

United States

#6 Jul 18, 2013
Two attorneys, 1 senator, go to fed prison for fraud, meth, n mailing snake. Drugs rampant n people found in wells n cut up because of them. If u have children, stay away! If its just you, it would probably be ok. You can stay away from it, kids can't!
information

Jonesboro, AR

#7 Jul 18, 2013
posible move wrote:
i am from south ar, and possibly moving to pocahontas, was wondering what the life is like? I know its a tiny town, but cant find much about it online. It looks to be about an hour from jonesboro? what else? anything that you can tell me would help. what about the small college? is that the only thing of size there? what about schools-what are they like? what do people do for fun? recreation. sports? etc..
There are NO jobs here, NO entertainment here, this town is ugly,full of abandoned houses. The schools suck big time, most of the kids who graduate high school here can't read or write above 2nd grade level, too many churches, because whenever someone gets pissed off they go start their own church. This town is full of holier than thou bible thumpers, the streets are full of pot holes, etc etc.
wow

Mountain Home, AR

#8 Jul 18, 2013
Amazed wrote:
Two attorneys, 1 senator, go to fed prison for fraud, meth, n mailing snake. Drugs rampant n people found in wells n cut up because of them. If u have children, stay away! If its just you, it would probably be ok. You can stay away from it, kids can't!
criminals, idiots, meth heads, alcoholics, and pill poppers are everywhere. doubt they are a higher percentage here than most other places.

can't stay away from everywhere.
all cities have some bad apples and crime in their past.
and will have in their future.
condemning and singling out Pocahontas for it sounds like a personal problem and is really reaching on your part.
Pocahontas is a good place, NOT filled with the scum of the earth.

i feel as safe walking/riding the streets and living here as I would in any city our size in Arkansas.
vast majority of folks here are hard working, friendly, honest, and law abiding.

West Memphis, Jonesboro, Blytheville, Little Rock, Pine Bluff Newport, Mountain Home, etc, and rural areas also have fraud, meth, crime, and murders. fact of life.
wow

Mountain Home, AR

#9 Jul 18, 2013
information wrote:
<quoted text> There are NO jobs here, NO entertainment here, this town is ugly,full of abandoned houses. The schools suck big time, most of the kids who graduate high school here can't read or write above 2nd grade level, too many churches, because whenever someone gets pissed off they go start their own church. This town is full of holier than thou bible thumpers, the streets are full of pot holes, etc etc.
you shouldn't believe all the outright lies and bs you dream up, think, and post. it proves you ignorance, hatred, and stupidity.

you need to open your eyes, look around, and get real with the facts vs your hatred. go visit some other cities and compare them to your bs complaints about Pocahontas. start with corning, walnut ridge/hoxie and newport.

Mountain Home, AR

#10 Jul 18, 2013
information wrote:
<quoted text> There are NO jobs here, NO entertainment here, this town is ugly,full of abandoned houses. The schools suck big time, most of the kids who graduate high school here can't read or write above 2nd grade level, too many churches, because whenever someone gets pissed off they go start their own church. This town is full of holier than thou bible thumpers, the streets are full of pot holes, etc etc.
Now this is the truth about Poky!
Also if someone leaves a Port-a-potty unattended for a week someone opens a church in it.
Believe whatever you want Pocahontas is a corrupt sick place, the FBI stays here, for anyone wanting to move here, DON'T, save yourself and stay away!
really

Mountain Home, AR

#11 Jul 18, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Now this is the truth about Poky!
Also if someone leaves a Port-a-potty unattended for a week someone opens a church in it.
Believe whatever you want Pocahontas is a corrupt sick place, the FBI stays here, for anyone wanting to move here, DON'T, save yourself and stay away!

"most of the kids who graduate high school here can't read or write above 2nd grade level"
if you think that is "truth", you are as stupid as the idiot that originally posted it.

"Pocahontas is a corrupt sick place"
more so than any other cities our size?
got facts, stats, or figures to back up that claim?
if Pocahontas is "corrupt and sick" - then the whole state and country is.

"the fbi stays here?"
really?
more than normal or any place else?
how often have they pressed charges here the last 25 years vs in other counties? got facts?
fbi were probably asked by someone to come in because one of the convicted was married to the former police chief and they didn't feel it should not be investigated by him.

why do you have a problem with the freedom to practice religion and having places to do it?
Amazed

United States

#12 Jul 18, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>you shouldn't believe all the outright lies and bs you dream up, think, and post. it proves you ignorance, hatred, and stupidity.
you need to open your eyes, look around, and get real with the facts vs your hatred. go visit some other cities and compare them to your bs complaints about Pocahontas. start with corning, walnut ridge/hoxie and newport.
No hatred. I believe every word I said was truth. Wasn't it? It was n papers, tv, n radio. Per capita Randolph Co is very corrupt.
FYI

Jonesboro, AR

#13 Jul 18, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>you shouldn't believe all the outright lies and bs you dream up, think, and post. it proves you ignorance, hatred, and stupidity.
I was raised in this sorry excuse for a town, I agree, it is an ugly, boring place filled with hypocrites. There are no jobs here either.
Bubba

Ash Flat, AR

#14 Jul 18, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>
"most of the kids who graduate high school here can't read or write above 2nd grade level"
if you think that is "truth", you are as stupid as the idiot that originally posted it.
"Pocahontas is a corrupt sick place"
more so than any other cities our size?
got facts, stats, or figures to back up that claim?
if Pocahontas is "corrupt and sick" - then the whole state and country is.
"the fbi stays here?"
really?
more than normal or any place else?
how often have they pressed charges here the last 25 years vs in other counties? got facts?
fbi were probably asked by someone to come in because one of the convicted was married to the former police chief and they didn't feel it should not be investigated by him.
why do you have a problem with the freedom to practice religion and having places to do it?
Freedom of religion is fine, but all these crazy holy rollers want to run everybodys lives. They don't want any drinking in the county so thet vote it dry. Like that keeps anyone from drinking? They just force everyone who wants to pick up a 30 pack to drive 30 or 40 miles, causing accidents, wasting gas and adding polution. If the county was wet they could pay for their stupid pool with the beer taxes alone. A lot of people buy their gas in Mo while picking up their beer. That's more taxes going out of the county. We don't need three churches on every city block and three or four every mile going out of town. Go to church and do your thing, but let other people have their freedom to do theirs. Off topic I know, but I wanted to say it anyway.
well

Mountain Home, AR

#15 Jul 18, 2013
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>I was raised in this sorry excuse for a town, I agree, it is an ugly, boring place filled with hypocrites. There are no jobs here either.
looks like you may be one of those that he thinks graduated at a 2nd grade level. seems to take a lot to keep you entertained and happy.

sounds like you have a personal problem. you need to move away if you think this town is an ugly, boring place filled with hypocrites and has no jobs. try corning, walnut ridge, hoxie, or newport.
wow

Mountain Home, AR

#16 Jul 18, 2013
Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
No hatred. I believe every word I said was truth. Wasn't it? It was n papers, tv, n radio. Per capita Randolph Co is very corrupt.
what you quoted was my reply to information's obvious bs, stupidity, and hatred. wasn't directed at you.

what makes you think randolph county is VERY corrupt? do you feel it's more corrupt than most others?
got a link with any figures on it?

murder, drugs, corruption, and caught politicians are everywhere. when nick, et al, went down, a bunch of folks elsewhere should of went with him.

we've had some crime and problems here - true, not denying it.
but others places do too.
i still believe Pocahontas is as good a place to live as most cities in Arkansas.
majority are good family folks that work hard and behave.
could it be better and have less crime?
yes, but humans will be humans, and a certain percentage will screw up and break laws. happens everywhere, not just here.

without figures I have a hard time believing we have more corruption per capita.
also a lot of elderly here in the county. probably larger percentage than most places, salt of the earth folks, good as gold.

we're certainly better than many that have higher crime rates, higher unemployment, poorer economies, declining population counts, worse parks/rec and city services, worse schools, and less recreation/entertainment and things to do.
Dont Know Nothing

Medford, OR

#17 Jul 19, 2013
posible move wrote:
Jobs are moving out why would you move in? Please heed my advice and find a more suitable town with employment, fun, recreation, and sports available to the public if you want to have a life, because everyone in that town is fighting for a good one when all they are left with is officials who want to suppress their opinions and turn the town into a retirement community.
pathetic

Mountain Home, AR

#18 Jul 19, 2013
Good God you people are pathetic. Yeah there's some people in this town that are absolutely ridiculous. But that's NOT the only people you find here. Some are hard-working, friendly people. Before you go and judge a town for having a few people who don't know how to live life the right way, take some time and think about the people that do. Because I've lived in this little town for years and I have met some damn good people. Maybe you're just looking in all the wrong places. That's all I have to say.
Gooberman

El Dorado, AR

#19 Jul 19, 2013
Go to pine bluff, Helena, or Dermott for the best quality of life--poky is dead
Sam I Am

Mountain Home, AR

#20 Jul 19, 2013
Gooberman wrote:
Go to pine bluff, Helena, or Dermott for the best quality of life--poky is dead
That depends on what you like to do..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
alcohol petition 19 min Woodpecker 26
Matt jansen 1 hr Sexibae15 9
Country Kids daycare closing??? 4 hr Duh 7
Bo Shipp 5 hr B.S. 11
apt/ house 5 hr 😎 1
Hearing today 5 hr Dumbass 11
Who are some of the hardest working people in P... (Feb '09) 14 hr Cousin 87

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance