pocahontas economy
bsr

Defiance, MO

#1 Nov 7, 2008
Started this new thread -
hijacked it off the "this town" thread where some of it began.
opinions, comments, and views past, present, and future will vary and that's ok - disagree as we will - let's try to make it about the pocahontas economy - not personal insults and name calling.

from the "this town" thread -

imo - the big lake is dead due to costs, environmentalists, landowners, etc.
6 of 8 were built - we were on the tail end, had a more developed valley and it didn't get done in time.

recruiting the entire mix is the best answer.
new factory jobs are scarce and we have a finite work force. we need retirees and tourists also.-this is a nice area and good location for all 3 -rural area, lots of water and land, fair living conditions - construction costs, taxes, utilities, great schools, health care, weather, transportation - are all positives. wouldn't know it by this board - but we are also pretty friendly people around here.

best hope for rec/campers/tourists/retirees would be several lake charles size+ lakes on the bigger valleys. a well controlled state park/large rec area on 11 point would also help instead of dumping more millions into old davidsonville.

a 4 wheeler/mud park/racetrack/water park might draw some area visitors.

food processing plants (re post/nestle) might be the most stable factories - the raw materials and water are here. a lot of manufacturing has left the US - we need to concentrate on the new technology products - solar, alt fuels, renewable resources, recycling, and consumer goods manufactured from local products - we have a lot of rocks and wood around - walmart sells $$ of rocks, soil, and mulch products.

doubt we have the trained workforce for a new 700 job factory. waterloo started small and grew - we have to start small and grow them.

new business and factories are a large risk and gamble. people aren't going to risk spending a million on a new eating franchise without the demand for it. pokey probably has too many as is.
$100 million factories are going where there is enough labor and freebie incentives or off shore or south with no govt restrictions. business is business.

area counties working together - aka walnut ridge airport complex - may work and be a good site for some large plants. rail, 4 lane, and amount of land are positives. may get lucky some day and hit it big as a supersite.

imo - our leaders are working hard and have had some success on jobs. every city, county, and state is competing and offering unheard of benefits to land the big factories. we've been very fortunate to get, expand, and keep what we have.
high dollar jobs are very high tech and require skilled labor. as much as we wish - basic assembly, production, and food processing aren't going to pay above average wages.

i see having a large retirement community as a big positive. we need to encourage it and bring in more to replace those who die and have to move to nursing homes, healthcare, and retirement facilities - another area with a large need and potential growth in the future for us.
Citizen

Ozark, MO

#2 Nov 8, 2008
The tourism/retiree proposal appears to be one of the best propositions.

"old guy" doesn't have to worry, we're not going to get major manufacturing companies into this area. We can't compete with Jonesboro as far as available labor pool and incentives to draw them to this region. Yes, we have the utilities and infrastructure, but it will take considerably more than that.

We do have our natural resources to draw money to our community .... five rivers in the county, scenic escapes from city life, slow living for the retirees. If I was financially able, I would
check into renovating or building a couple of homes as a bed & breakfast. Just a thought.

We need to continue the efforts to support our medical system because healthcare and services are the most profitable and sustaining in the economically depressed economy. We have moved from an industrialized era to a services era.
Obamas My Daddy

Nixa, MO

#3 Nov 10, 2008
We can land a big factory but it will be at the Walnut Ridge Airport.

BPJ

Since: Oct 08

Pocahontas

#4 Nov 10, 2008
Walnoxie is close enough that Pokey could benefit from a big factory moving in there.

I really don't think we need to turn ourselves into a Cherokee Village. Old people only do 2 things, get older and die. They usually do it farily quickly too.

But the amount of young people in this town that give a damn can be counted on 2 hands, with fingers left over. Catering to the old folk may be all we can do in the near future.
Citizen

Ozark, MO

#5 Nov 12, 2008
Obamas My Daddy wrote:
We can land a big factory but it will be at the Walnut Ridge Airport.
I don't think we can offer the incentives to get a big factory.
Easy Rider

Willard, MO

#6 Nov 12, 2008
I think we should try and build a local economy, it would be slow but solid. America doesn't manufacture much any more and we are a buyer nation. All I have seen in the last 25 years is big money being spent to build huge buildings that are going to employ many workers. They end up being a warehouse that maybe 10 people work at for a couple of years and end up being bought by some local big shot for a song.
thoughts from 08

Mountain Home, AR

#7 Mar 26, 2014
Found this from 08. Interesting
Resident

Jonesboro, AR

#8 Mar 26, 2014
There are lots of young people that care. And when I mean young I mean those above retirement age. Thing is they are powerless. They are the ones working their butts off to make ends meet at jobs they hate and employers who treat them like garbage for a little abive min wage. Things will never change because the same people have owned this town for years. They dont like the idea of fresh and new ideas making our area boom. Thing is they like it dead and ugly. Today as I was walking I noticed how ran down some homes are and the thing is most of the owners can't help it they are trying their best and doung what they can. Are area is in proverty because the pay is low compared to Jonesboro and Paragould and other big cities.
BPJ wrote:
Walnoxie is close enough that Pokey could benefit from a big factory moving in there.
I really don't think we need to turn ourselves into a Cherokee Village. Old people only do 2 things, get older and die. They usually do it farily quickly too.
But the amount of young people in this town that give a damn can be counted on 2 hands, with fingers left over. Catering to the old folk may be all we can do in the near future.
Lady with the magic word

Jonesboro, AR

#9 Mar 27, 2014
bsr wrote:
Started this new thread -
hijacked it off the "this town" thread where some of it began.
opinions, comments, and views past, present, and future will vary and that's ok - disagree as we will - let's try to make it about the pocahontas economy - not personal insults and name calling.
from the "this town" thread -
imo - the big lake is dead due to costs, environmentalists, landowners, etc.
6 of 8 were built - we were on the tail end, had a more developed valley and it didn't get done in time.
recruiting the entire mix is the best answer.
new factory jobs are scarce and we have a finite work force. we need retirees and tourists also.-this is a nice area and good location for all 3 -rural area, lots of water and land, fair living conditions - construction costs, taxes, utilities, great schools, health care, weather, transportation - are all positives. wouldn't know it by this board - but we are also pretty friendly people around here.
best hope for rec/campers/tourists/retirees would be several lake charles size+ lakes on the bigger valleys. a well controlled state park/large rec area on 11 point would also help instead of dumping more millions into old davidsonville.
a 4 wheeler/mud park/racetrack/water park might draw some area visitors.
food processing plants (re post/nestle) might be the most stable factories - the raw materials and water are here. a lot of manufacturing has left the US - we need to concentrate on the new technology products - solar, alt fuels, renewable resources, recycling, and consumer goods manufactured from local products - we have a lot of rocks and wood around - walmart sells $$ of rocks, soil, and mulch products.
doubt we have the trained workforce for a new 700 job factory. waterloo started small and grew - we have to start small and grow them.
new business and factories are a large risk and gamble. people aren't going to risk spending a million on a new eating franchise without the demand for it. pokey probably has too many as is.
$100 million factories are going where there is enough labor and freebie incentives or off shore or south with no govt restrictions. business is business.
area counties working together - aka walnut ridge airport complex - may work and be a good site for some large plants. rail, 4 lane, and amount of land are positives. may get lucky some day and hit it big as a supersite.
imo - our leaders are working hard and have had some success on jobs. every city, county, and state is competing and offering unheard of benefits to land the big factories. we've been very fortunate to get, expand, and keep what we have.
high dollar jobs are very high tech and require skilled labor. as much as we wish - basic assembly, production, and food processing aren't going to pay above average wages.
i see having a large retirement community as a big positive. we need to encourage it and bring in more to replace those who die and have to move to nursing homes, healthcare, and retirement facilities - another area with a large need and potential growth in the future for us.
Your a handy cap person and not very smart thinking in ways of times of troubles. Smoke dope when growing up and sounds like still smoking. You love the negative ways that make you feel better than others! Dream on my friend, Dream on!
gooberman

El Dorado, AR

#11 Mar 29, 2014
This chucking town is dead so move on to Pine Bluff, Helena or Dermott where there is plenty of work and action.
Sunin

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#12 Mar 29, 2014
gooberman wrote:
This chucking town is dead so move on to Pine Bluff, Helena or Dermott where there is plenty of work and action.
Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will = BORN AGAIN CHRISTIANS = EVER TELL = LIES? (Apr '13) 1 hr guest 30
Wonderful Peco (Feb '15) 1 hr guest 40
Bobby jo wire 6 hr The real booby Jo 9
Fantasha rutledge (Feb '13) 12 hr haha 26
John Simkins (Mar '15) 23 hr Playa 26
Old Hill Crest Hotel (Jul '15) Fri lol 26
Nursing home Thu Real slim shady 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pocahontas Mortgages