Great Value milk at Wal-Mart
no preservatives

Salem, AR

#42 Jan 9, 2011
Bob wrote:
My understanding is that GV milk does not use the same preservatives that name brands do. Thus, it is cheaper, but doesn't store as long, and is going to taste different. I've been told by people who know far more about food regulation than I would ever care to, that GV milk is actually a healthier choice, due to this lack of preservatives.
Also, keep in mind that the dairy industry is localized. Meaning that Northwest Arkansas' milk is going to be different than Southeast Arkansas' milk is going to be different than North Carolina's milk etc. Climate, cattle feed, and quality control at each dairy can make big differences in taste.
I personally drink 2 to 3 gallons of GV milk a week and have yet to find a bad jug.
There is no preservatives in milk , it is pasteurized and that kills all the bacteria in the milk. the cartons that are not clear also can reduce sunlight and that can affect the taste of the milk.
est

Jonesboro, AR

#43 Jan 9, 2011
That is the way it is in libby mcneil and libbys cannery The labels are the diffrence I suspect that is way of feeding cows all are fed harmone feed and antibiotics too
milk free antibiotics

Ash Flat, AR

#44 Jan 10, 2011
est wrote:
That is the way it is in libby mcneil and libbys cannery The labels are the diffrence I suspect that is way of feeding cows all are fed harmone feed and antibiotics too
Milk is tested for antibiotics and if any is found ,the tank is dumped and the dairy farmer fined.
When an animal is treated for an illness the milk from that animal has to be with held for the length of time needed for the drugs to clear the animals system.
Most dairy cows are not fed hormones
two reasons
1. it costs to much
2. burns the cow out and in the long run actually reduces milk production.
ponlilly

United States

#45 Jan 10, 2011
sassy wrote:
<quoted text> For babies yep...i know a few grown men that wish they were still breast feeding....
That is a good one I agree
Buster Cheery

Jonesboro, AR

#46 Jan 10, 2011
GV Milk is the same as Turner. Rick Cook delivers both from the same place, on the same truck. Different labels.
erika

United States

#47 Jan 25, 2011
customer wrote:
<quoted text>its all the cows not just the ones used for off brands. It all comes from the same place. So that's why we should all switch to soy milk. Also they dye that milk so u won't see the blood from those cows titts they are milked so often they bleed. I hope you enjoy ur milk.
ar u serious thats crazy now im done with milk
MORE PETA BS

Valders, WI

#48 Jan 25, 2011
customer wrote:
<quoted text>its all the cows not just the ones used for off brands. It all comes from the same place. So that's why we should all switch to soy milk. Also they dye that milk so u won't see the blood from those cows titts they are milked so often they bleed. I hope you enjoy ur milk.
THAT IS AN OUT RIGHT LIE , WHY DON'T YOU CHECK AND FIND OUT THAT A HIGH WHITE CELL COUNT CAN CAUSE MILK TO BE REJECTED, there is no dye in milk .
This is just Bull shit from a Peta plant who thinks that you are stupid enough to believe anything they say.
Dan

Honolulu, HI

#49 Feb 23, 2011
This is very surpirising, as Great Value and WaWa milks are the only two brands I've bought that consistenly taste good. Other brands often taste sour immediately. Then again, it could be a regional thing, or due to quality control among the numerous shippers and stores.
Sean

Philadelphia, PA

#50 May 31, 2011
A new thing i've been noticing in the great value milk is that its lost its quality .. like just this morning i had some 1 percent GV milk with my Oatmeal and it was a tasty meal .. but 3 to 4 hours later my stomach started hurting and it made me go to the bathroom.... not cool... i thought it was a 1 time deal so 2 days later i have some cookies and milk and n hour later i was in the bathroom again .. it was horrible .. i checked to see if i was lactos int. but i wasn't and was relieved . the week after the cookie incident i went shopping at walmart and i chose to buy the hidden brand of 1 percent milk .. had some milk and cookies with that and i had No horrible aftermaths .. please tell me its not just me that has experience this issue recently... been drinking the cobourg 1 percent brand milk for 2 weeks now. and i havn't had not a single issue .. Great Value Milk is a bad choice ... its changed
Tech

Raleigh, NC

#51 May 31, 2011
Fools your all fools!! Ibe been telling yous for years that the govment has been placing specal drugs in our milk to try and control us. it makes boys be meaner and girls be sexalized. that is why the youngins today is so fightin and havin babys all over the place. the govment nows that they can not get all of at onese so they get us a little bit at a time with by causin our kids to be actin like they aint got no get right. they have to be protected. dont let your babys drink any milk that doesnt come from the mother and then not let the mother drink any cow milk cause it will just still transfre to that baby from the mom to the baby threw the mommy milk. dont take what i say for a grain of salt because you will find out one day that i was rite and you will see then that the govment has tooked over and it will alredy be too late and you will then say i wush i had lisent to what I had said where the i is me not you but i was the one a tellin this truth to you!!
america man

San Jose, CA

#52 May 31, 2011
TECH IS RIGHT AND I DO AGREES WITH ALL OF EVERYTHING HE HAS STATED!!!!!!!!!!
YOU TELL MY WHY ELSE IT IS THAT SOME OF PEOPLE ARE SO DUMBER NOW THAN BACK AWAYS AGO?? can you??? NO YOU CANT BECAUSE THEY WANT US TO BE WITH ALL THE HOREMONES IN OUR BODY AND THAT MUSHES UP THE GEARS OF YOUR BRAIN AND THEN YOU DONT EVEN THINK RIGHT ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT THINKING PROPER. THEN YOU SAYS ALL ABOUT HOW THE HOREMONES EFFECT THE KIDS AND WHAT NOT. I KNOW THAT FOR MY PERSONEL EXPERIENCE THAT YOU ARE ON THE 100% MARK THERE TECH. EXPLAIN WHY ELSE MY DAUGHTER IS JUST BUT 9 YEARS OLD AND HOW HER LADY PARTS IS ALREADY FURRED UP?? THAT AINT SOPPOSED TO HAPPEN TILL A GIRL IS UP NEAR HIGH SCHOOLING AGE, BUT SHE IS DONE STARTED AND ALREDY BEEN GETTIN BOOBS FOR A WHILE NOW. THEN WHAT ABOUT MY BOYS? DO YOU THINK ITS ALL NORMAL FOR THEM TO BE SO MEAN AND CUSSIN AND FIGHTING ALL THE TIMES? I DO NOT THINK THIS IS NORMAL-LIKE AT ALL AND I KNOW THAT ITS EITHER HOREMONES OR SATAN OR BOTH (THATS WHAT THE PREACHER TELLS US TOO). I THINK IF YOU ARE CHINA AND YOU OWN EVERYTHING IN AMERICA ALREADY THEN IT IS PROLLY REALLY EASY TO PUT IN THE CHIMICALS IN THE COWS TO MAKE THE TEATS BLEED AND MAKE US CRAZY AND TO MAKE GIRLS ALL FURRED UP TOO EARLY. THINK ABOUT IT AND WAKE UP AMERICA CAUSE THE CHINA MAN AND THEM ARAB FELLERS ARE POISIONING YOU UP TO THEN COME OVER AND JUST TAKE OVER WITH NOBODY EVEN CARING BECAUSE WE ALREADY DONE FOUGHT EACH OTHER TILL WE ARE DEAD OR WERE TOO BUSY WITH SEXTING ALL THE TIME TO CARE ABOUT IT ANYHOW!!!
hmmm

Jonesboro, AR

#53 May 31, 2011
Looks like you need to read both of your last two posts and realize that it's your uneducated, hills have eyes raising that you are giving these kids is the real problem. My kids are awesome kids and they drink cow milk. What a bunch of conspirators
barking up the wrong tree

Mountain Home, AR

#54 May 31, 2011
sugar is the poison to be concerned with. Americans each consume more than 150 pounds of sugar each year. there are 17 teaspoons of sugar in a single can of Coke.
Jen

Biglerville, PA

#55 Jul 17, 2011
Tech and America Man... You have no idea what you are talking about. The government doesn't even see the milk when it is made. They can't be at all of the plants to add these drugs you speak of. If they were, well.. We'd have a pretty damn big government, not to mention, they wouldn't be able to run our government because they'd be at those plants 24/7 to get all of the milk drugged.

Plus, I'm currently a high school student, and I'm no slut. None of my friends are. And If anyone were dumb, it would be you two! You can't even speak proper English.

Also, if your children are sluts and bitches (pardon my language), then you should be the one to blame because you raised them. You let them become like this without any punishment. I am proud to say that I DRINK MILK EVERY DAY, and I was raised right. My mom won't buy me anything that screams "slut". And to be honest, I don't want any clothes like that.

So next time you try to blame the way teenagers are nowadays on something stupid like milk, blame yourself or the kids parents. And sluts have been around all the time. They just progressed to this.
BJG83

Redding, CA

#56 Jul 18, 2011
disgusted wrote:
The last few times I have bought Great Value milk at Wal-mart it has been gross. This last time I told my husband to take it back and get another brand. While at the service desk he saw another guy bringing back his Great Value milk. What's up with this? I heard that the milk comes from old cows or something. It's been a while since I heard it and can't remember the specifics but now it's making sense. Has anyone here had the same problem?
I too have noticed that their milk tastes weird. It taste like someone already used it to dunk their donuts in. It just does not taste the same as other brands. And why it taste so different is what I want to know?
GVM

Mountain Home, AR

#57 Jul 20, 2011
I have bought Great Value milk for years and it has been alright. It doesn't seem any different to me.

Since: Apr 11

I'm from 'Round Here

#58 Jul 21, 2011
I use the Great Value 1% all the time and notice no difference.
milk

Mountain Home, AR

#59 Jul 24, 2011
I have got both the name brand milk and cheap milk at the stores lately and they both spoil way before there experation date so be carefull i have had to throw out 6 gallons of milk both brands

Since: Apr 11

I'm from 'Round Here

#60 Jul 24, 2011
milk wrote:
I have got both the name brand milk and cheap milk at the stores lately and they both spoil way before there experation date so be carefull i have had to throw out 6 gallons of milk both brands
Not trying to be smart, but maybe you need to turn your refrigerator down some more. I never have a problem with it spoiling.......sometimes even after the dates. Might be worth a try. It should be set around 34 or 35 for best results.
Rita in Texas

Corpus Christi, TX

#61 Jul 25, 2011
We bought some. I usually don't drink milk... just give it to the kids. Well, tonight I went to drink a glass and it was awful! I wonder how many bad bottles of great value milk I have purchased and the kids just think that's the way it tastes. NEVER again. I don't trust walmart meat either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 10 hr Reality Check 41,499
Amber thompson 14 hr Old school 2
Britney bagwell 14 hr Concerned friend 3
Fantasha rutledge (Feb '13) 17 hr Ray Ray McKracinn 37
Only 3 years? 18 hr Guest 15
Mickey Johnson picked up for acting like a cop Fri Rev Al 17
Maynard Wreck Fri Farmer Brown 1

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance