Great Value milk at Wal-Mart
driver

Bexar, AR

#22 Jan 6, 2010
guest wrote:
I worked in a dairy in Memphis and we bottled milk for a lot of stores and the only difference is the carton
thats true,,i worked in a parts store for 8 years,the only diffrence in motor is the lable,,except castrol gtx.its the best and only one thats diffrent.
not sure

Lake Charles, LA

#23 Jan 6, 2010
driver wrote:
<quoted text>thats true,,i worked in a parts store for 8 years,the only diffrence in motor is the lable,,except castrol gtx.its the best and only one thats diffrent.
is the castrol gtx a synthetic oil? i've been told that your oil doesn't need to be changed as often with synthetic. any thoughts on that?
Insert

Mountain Home, AR

#24 Jan 7, 2010
Pocahontas Citizens Drinking Herbicides and Pesticides on your Water (EPA Data)and Worried about your Milk?
yeah really

Charleston, WV

#25 Jan 12, 2010
It's a well known fact with the doctors in Jonesboro that the people of Pocahontas are drinking water causing the rate of cancer to be extremely high...much more than elsewhere. SCARY!
well

United States

#26 Jan 12, 2010
herbicides and pesticides aren't a problem. not that much crop run off here compared to down river 50-100 miles.

where does randolph county surface and well water come from?

southern mo is the lead belt of the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Belt

also a lot of lead under the hills of this county.
my opinion

Bexar, AR

#27 Jan 12, 2010
ewg.org has alot of info but you can google... http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_con... just go down and it will say "search for your town by zip code", click and to your right you can look up any town with a zip code and it will pull up their findings. i'm sure there might be an easier way to find this page, but that's how i do it.
my opinion

Bexar, AR

#28 Jan 12, 2010
my opinion

Bexar, AR

#29 Jan 12, 2010
sorry it's not letting me give the full link,
Budman

Houston, TX

#30 Mar 26, 2010
Nutritionist that knows wrote:
The harmful components of cow's milk include all the major parts of it, as well as some more minor elements. Lactose is a sugar meant for babies, but it's generally harmful to adults. The proteins in cow's milk are different from human milk proteins and cause problems of digestion, intolerance, impaired absorption of other nutrients, and autoimmune reactions.
Cow hormones are not meant for humans, and older children and adults are not meant to consume hormones. And, cows have been selectively bred over time to create high levels of these hormones—those being the cows that grow the fastest and produce the greatest amount of milk. Cows also concentrate pesticides and pollutants into their milk fat, from their high dietary food and water requirements. The high amount of drugs now given to cows adds to this chemical soup.
Where in the world did you get your nutrition degree? And is it too late to ask for a refund? "The harmful components of cow's milk include all the major part's of it." You're a liar. The amino acids that make up the proteins found in milk are the same 22 or so amino acids found in any protein. The percentages might change but the composition are the same set of amino acids found in most proteins. All proteins when digested are broken down into individual amino acids, one or two at most four are left together, any more and the molecule would be too large to be absorbed during it's passage through the small intestine. Lactose for Babies only? Are you kidding? Lactose is composed of two sugars, galactose and glucose. Glucose is the major sugar running around in your veins right now and the one your muscles burn for energy. Galactose is what some people are intolerant to and causes minor discomfort, not an immune response, unless they are allergic to it, which is like in .1 of 1% of people. Suffice it to say if you're of indo-european, middle eastern (most), mediterranean, any place that has a heritage of yogurt and or goat's milk, you probably ain't lactose intolerant. Also news flash anything you eat takes up absorption sites and impairs other nutrients from being absorbed. Remember the wheel from nutrition class, Fe doesn't allow copper (Cu) to be absorbed etc so that's why we don't get all our nutrition from one bolus (one sitting or swallow) Older adults not meant to consume hormones? What is that? We do it all the time. What hormone specifically is aborbed in the stomach, that is harmful? Yes they are selectively bred, but that those hormones are present in the milk at high levels, show me, then tell me they are absorbed that way and not broken down as they pass through the GI. "Cows also concentrate pesticides and pollutants into their milk fat", what hogwash, otherwise their calves would all be brain dead. SOME pest. and pollutants are accumulated in their adipose tissue and deposited around their bodies, but passed on in the milk? Show me your credible source material. Most just pass right through in the urine. And as far as chemical soups go be more worried about HFLC's in your drinking water. We all have them in our bodies the question is not how they get there but do they really have an adverse effect. When you post please try to be responsible, somebody might actually believe you.
RandCo

Lake Charles, LA

#31 Mar 30, 2010
I wonder who the first person was to look at a cow and say "I want to drink what comes out of those things"?
get real

Mountain Home, AR

#32 Mar 31, 2010
Budman wrote:
<quoted text>Where in the world did you get your nutrition degree? And is it too late to ask for a refund? "The harmful components of cow's milk include all the major part's of it." You're a liar. The amino acids that make up the proteins found in milk are the same 22 or so amino acids found in any protein. The percentages might change but the composition are the same set of amino acids found in most proteins. All proteins when digested are broken down into individual amino acids, one or two at most four are left together, any more and the molecule would be too large to be absorbed during it's passage through the small intestine. Lactose for Babies only? Are you kidding? Lactose is composed of two sugars, galactose and glucose. Glucose is the major sugar running around in your veins right now and the one your muscles burn for energy. Galactose is what some people are intolerant to and causes minor discomfort, not an immune response, unless they are allergic to it, which is like in .1 of 1% of people. Suffice it to say if you're of indo-european, middle eastern (most), mediterranean, any place that has a heritage of yogurt and or goat's milk, you probably ain't lactose intolerant. Also news flash anything you eat takes up absorption sites and impairs other nutrients from being absorbed. Remember the wheel from nutrition class, Fe doesn't allow copper (Cu) to be absorbed etc so that's why we don't get all our nutrition from one bolus (one sitting or swallow) Older adults not meant to consume hormones? What is that? We do it all the time. What hormone specifically is aborbed in the stomach, that is harmful? Yes they are selectively bred, but that those hormones are present in the milk at high levels, show me, then tell me they are absorbed that way and not broken down as they pass through the GI. "Cows also concentrate pesticides and pollutants into their milk fat", what hogwash, otherwise their calves would all be brain dead. SOME pest. and pollutants are accumulated in their adipose tissue and deposited around their bodies, but passed on in the milk? Show me your credible source material. Most just pass right through in the urine. And as far as chemical soups go be more worried about HFLC's in your drinking water. We all have them in our bodies the question is not how they get there but do they really have an adverse effect. When you post please try to be responsible, somebody might actually believe you.
good response to that moron Peta plant who wants everyone to be a veggie.In third world countries cows and Goats milk and meat is a important source of nutrition ,since they eat forage plants like weeds , brush and grass that can not be consumed by humans . They convert that to high value meat and milk .Can not raise soybeans in the arid areas.

Orlando, FL

#33 May 12, 2010
Yeah i have that problem a couple of times lately the milk would only last a couple of days accually i don't think the milk never lasted close to the expired date
NO info

United States

#34 May 12, 2010
I have never had an issue with GV milk. *shrug*
HSV

Magnolia, AR

#35 May 12, 2010
RandCo wrote:
I wonder who the first person was to look at a cow and say "I want to drink what comes out of those things"?
Probably the same one who figured out drinking what came out of the bull wasn't good at all?
For Your Info

Mountain Home, AR

#36 May 12, 2010
milk wrote:
I don't buy it because I have heard that it comes from cows who are fed with hormones drugs to make them produce more and its causing problems in people. I just don't buy it. I know that you have to buy that kind if you have wic vouchers. I see people buying it for their kids. There's no telling what is in our food. There is recalls everyday that people don't know about. I am on the list of recalls of foods and some other products -- U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)-- Here is link([email protected] om)
I'm pretty sure all cows are fed something to increase milk production, nowadays. We drink Great Value 1% all the time and it's just fine.
For Your Info

Mountain Home, AR

#37 May 12, 2010
Guest wrote:
Yeah i have that problem a couple of times lately the milk would only last a couple of days accually i don't think the milk never lasted close to the expired date
Mine usually last at least to the expiration date, but we had a gallon not long ago that lasted over 2 weeks beyond the exp. date. I wish they all would.
For Your Info

Mountain Home, AR

#38 May 12, 2010
my opinion wrote:
ewg.org has alot of info but you can google... http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_con... just go down and it will say "search for your town by zip code", click and to your right you can look up any town with a zip code and it will pull up their findings. i'm sure there might be an easier way to find this page, but that's how i do it.
Well, according to what I read, we all need to get our affairs in order. The Grim Reaper is just around the corner.
Alrighty then

United States

#39 May 12, 2010
I prefer Hiland, but there is nothing wrong with GV milk.
pesfrall3

Erwin, NC

#40 Dec 22, 2010
disgusted wrote:
The last few times I have bought Great Value milk at Wal-mart it has been gross. This last time I told my husband to take it back and get another brand. While at the service desk he saw another guy bringing back his Great Value milk. What's up with this? I heard that the milk comes from old cows or something. It's been a while since I heard it and can't remember the specifics but now it's making sense. Has anyone here had the same problem?
I have had the exact same experience, to me it smells like the containers have been stored near hogs, and the milk and carton has has taken on the taste. Last Great Value for me on milk!
Bob

Fayetteville, AR

#41 Jan 8, 2011
My understanding is that GV milk does not use the same preservatives that name brands do. Thus, it is cheaper, but doesn't store as long, and is going to taste different. I've been told by people who know far more about food regulation than I would ever care to, that GV milk is actually a healthier choice, due to this lack of preservatives.

Also, keep in mind that the dairy industry is localized. Meaning that Northwest Arkansas' milk is going to be different than Southeast Arkansas' milk is going to be different than North Carolina's milk etc. Climate, cattle feed, and quality control at each dairy can make big differences in taste.

I personally drink 2 to 3 gallons of GV milk a week and have yet to find a bad jug.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a clean 3 bedroom for rent 13 min DirtSandwich 5
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 16 min Question 35,211
City Police 16 hr Guest 7
Tattoos Wed Quixotic 7
artist Kinkade buyer ? Wed WIg Mertens 2
Interesting perspective for Topix lovers Wed Joe Pete 4
Thomas Hubert Wed DirtSandwich 14

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance