cast iron skillets
old timer

Edwardsville, IL

#1 Apr 26, 2014
How do you season an old skillet? My wife died a couple of years ago and she always took care of the cooking.
Everything I try to cook in that skillet burns and sticks to the skillet.

United States

#2 Apr 26, 2014
Never use soap in a skillet. They're porous and it was he the oil out. Put a little Crisco in the bottom each time after you dry it. Crisco in a low oven a few hours will reason it for you.

United States

#3 Apr 26, 2014
*washes the oil out.
old timer

Edwardsville, IL

#4 Apr 26, 2014
I put Canola Oil in the skillet and then put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
In the meantime I was reading on the internet to use lard, bacon grease but not anything made out of vegetables.
Rich hood

United States

#5 Apr 26, 2014
I put the oil out of my car in it an bake it for 6 hours at 450 then spray WD 49 in it anytime you cook something or PB blaster
FYI

Jonesboro, AR

#6 Apr 27, 2014
old timer wrote:
How do you season an old skillet? My wife died a couple of years ago and she always took care of the cooking.
Everything I try to cook in that skillet burns and sticks to the skillet.
How to Clean Cast Iron

Wash your cast iron in hot water immediately after use. Due to concerns over bacteria, I recommend washing with soapy water Ė though there are many cast iron users who feel itís best to stick to water only. Whichever route you choose, be sure not to scrub too vigorously, and take care not to submerge the pan in water. This could cause damage to the seasoning on the pan.
Dry your cookware completely. Cast iron will rust if it isnít dried immediately after washing. Start by towel drying you cookware. Then, place it on the stove over low heat for a minute or two to pull out any remaining moisture. If desired, lightly coat the inside of the pan with oil, and heat for a minute or two longer. This will help to restore any seasoning that might have been lost during washing.
Store with the lid off. To further protect against rusting, store your cookware with the lid off. Many cast iron users also recommending placing a paper towel inside the cookware to absorb any additional moisture that may be present Ė either in the pan or in the surrounding environment..
old timer

Edwardsville, IL

#7 Apr 27, 2014
My wife used to tell me that she would first scrub a skillet when it needed to be seasoned and get all the old build up out of it. Once it was clean enough to suit her she would use lard to coat the inside and preheat the oven to about 350 and place a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. She would put the cookie sheet under the rack in the oven where the skillet was going to be placed to catch anything that dripped off the skillet. Then she turned the skillet upside down and left it in the oven for 2 hours.
Worked for her and that was an old skillet my mother had given to her when we first got married in 1966. Cast iron will last forever if you know how to use them but these days, I like Teflon for most things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr Reality Check 43,295
Celebrate Recovery 6 hr Pffft 6
Computer Repair (Sep '09) 12 hr No name needed 18
Carnival at Fairgrounds Thu Concerned Public ... 3
Unsolved murders in Randolph County (Mar '09) May 23 Ann 134
Larrys' Pizza being turned into a Diner May 22 How 8
Disability Court May 22 Guest 3

Pocahontas Jobs

Personal Finance

Pocahontas Mortgages