Pocahontas meets with Highway 67 Coal...

Pocahontas meets with Highway 67 Coalition about proposal

There are 37 comments on the KAIT-TV story from Sep 26, 2012, titled Pocahontas meets with Highway 67 Coalition about proposal. In it, KAIT-TV reports that:

POCAHONTAS, AR - Pocahontas city officials are speaking with members of the Highway 67 Coalition this afternoon about the proposal of Highway 67 between Walnut Ridge and Missouri.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KAIT-TV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#21 Sep 27, 2012
wack em wrote:
<quoted text>It's not just one town or counties return on investment, it's an entire state that is taxed to pay for the roads. I don't live in Pocahontas or depend on anyone or thing there for my livelihood. I live one county over and would rather see the cheapest, most practical, and quickest time to completion chosen over a more costly route that won't save a town anyway.
I also live in another county. and I wont ever spend another dollar at any buisness in Randolph County. Like a mouldy rotting caboose is a fiscally responsible way to spend tax dollars. or a indoor swimming pool. three fire stations 3 city parks. the elected officials cant be fiscally responsible stewards of the taxpayer dollars. so they wont get none of mine. I hate to pay my property tax on my land in randolph county.
consider this

United States

#22 Sep 27, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I also live in another county. and I wont ever spend another dollar at any buisness in Randolph County. Like a mouldy rotting caboose is a fiscally responsible way to spend tax dollars. or a indoor swimming pool. three fire stations 3 city parks. the elected officials cant be fiscally responsible stewards of the taxpayer dollars. so they wont get none of mine. I hate to pay my property tax on my land in randolph county.
I have little respect for certain practices of "GOBS", as you put it. However, the difference between us is the difference between HOPE and HATE. I HOPE the study shows some reason to consider a route through Pocahontas, possibly providing opportunity for the residents as well as travelers. On the other hand, your hatred for Pocahontas drives your hope that the little town will die. Perhaps your desire will be the end result. In the event that the study would show some reason to consider the old 67 route, is it possible that you could reconsider your position?
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#23 Sep 27, 2012
consider this wrote:
<quoted text>I have little respect for certain practices of "GOBS", as you put it. However, the difference between us is the difference between HOPE and HATE. I HOPE the study shows some reason to consider a route through Pocahontas, possibly providing opportunity for the residents as well as travelers. On the other hand, your hatred for Pocahontas drives your hope that the little town will die. Perhaps your desire will be the end result. In the event that the study would show some reason to consider the old 67 route, is it possible that you could reconsider your position?
The old 67 route flooded in Both directions. 67 north & south where both closed in the recient flood. But the road along the Rail Road tracks remained open. Poky already has a four lane road. Im being realistic. the fact is good roads kill the smaller towns. Williford Ark was a bustling center of commerce becaue of the rail road and all the whistle stops along thw way where viable, but when the automobile and good roads came about those places dwindled & vanished. Poky Nut hill and smaller towns are destined to be bedroom communities to the bigger towns like paragould & jonesboro. The fact is if you want something be it money or anything else you have to go where its at. Its impossible to force it to come where it isnt. I hope the folks in poky do indeed get exactly what they deserve and do indeed deserve exactly what they get.
Homer

United States

#24 Sep 27, 2012
consider this wrote:
<quoted text>I have little respect for certain practices of "GOBS", as you put it. However, the difference between us is the difference between HOPE and HATE. I HOPE the study shows some reason to consider a route through Pocahontas, possibly providing opportunity for the residents as well as travelers. On the other hand, your hatred for Pocahontas drives your hope that the little town will die. Perhaps your desire will be the end result. In the event that the study would show some reason to consider the old 67 route, is it possible that you could reconsider your position?
Sure. Whichever route is found to be the most practical, then that is that. I don't want any small town to suffocate like this but the interstate shouldn't be bent. It will direct traffic away and it will be a loss to the area no matter what because drivers will have to decide they want to stop there, not that they just end up there. I'm afraid that at this point, any town in our situation will revert into farmland or be consumed by a metropolis.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#25 Sep 28, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. Whichever route is found to be the most practical, then that is that. I don't want any small town to suffocate like this but the interstate shouldn't be bent. It will direct traffic away and it will be a loss to the area no matter what because drivers will have to decide they want to stop there, not that they just end up there. I'm afraid that at this point, any town in our situation will revert into farmland or be consumed by a metropolis.
I agree!
consider this

United States

#26 Sep 28, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that bustling traffic through the middle of town does not necessarily convert to true benefits, despite claims to the contrary. Under the absolute best scenario for local officials, through traffic will definitely be diverted around Pocahontas, what difference does it make if it is a mile before town, or three, or maybe even five miles? Even if a person is a hardcore Poky suporter, this realization must really hit hard. No matter what the circumstances, there will be a bypass. Can't be done othewise. We are really fortunate for our existing five lane, and in fact it woyld probably be more than sufficient for ANY industry Poky could attract... Yes, the WalMart Dist deal killed most possibility of freeway, no doubt. But, we can still hope...
just a thought

Mountain Home, AR

#27 Sep 28, 2012
wonder if the levey breaks are playing a part?
we all know the county over looked the levey for years
consider this

United States

#30 Sep 28, 2012
Happy wrote:
<quoted text>You are misinformed on the road along the RR tracts being open because the road past black river at corning was under water,i saw it with my own eye's so i know this to be true.
This validates my point that the low area south of Corning has is own special problems to consider as well. The whole of 67 is crooked as snake for many reasons. So what if a travellers trip time is increased by seven and a half minutes because the route veers a few miles towards
Poky. Perhaps the local residents trip times would be reduced as the benefit.
wack em

United States

#31 Sep 28, 2012
62 at black river in corning was the only place under water that way. They would have to build up the roadway at the river crossing. 67 was under in numerous places between walnut ridge and corning. A lot more road bed to be built up going that way. And 67 has been under twice in the last5 years now on both sides of pocahontas including running water.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#32 Sep 28, 2012
Happy wrote:
<quoted text>You are misinformed on the road along the RR tracts being open because the road past black river at corning was under water,i saw it with my own eye's so i know this to be true.
along the rail road tracks all the way to knobel the road was pssable when you get to knobel the road dont follow the Rail Road. yes the hwy a corning by the black river was flooded. there are not Railroad tracks near there. A sufficient dirt levee and a high concrete bridge will be needed at that one black river crossing. as opposed to the huge amount of levee and numerious bridges that would be required to follow the old 67. and you still will have a below flood plain road south of poky.
curtis

Jonesboro, AR

#33 Sep 28, 2012
Give it up goof ball you absolutley don"t know what you are talking about! Get the heck off this forum and get back up on one in sharp county with your ignorance!!
wack em

United States

#36 Sep 28, 2012
road man wrote:
<quoted text>If your looking for the best way,67 will cross the black river at the forks of blk and current rivers,one bridge just like the pipeline crossed the river,it will then go about five miles this side of corning along the high line that is now in place,if you look at this i think you will see how it will go.
That route wouldn't surprise me because they could bring it east of the airport and college in walnut ridge avoiding running water and the flood prone areas around Pocahontas. One major bridge and section of raised road bed is all they would need to cross the river. It's much like the knobel route. I think it will come down to money and which of those2 routes are cheaper.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#40 Sep 28, 2012
Road wrote:
<quoted text>They no longer build small bridges,they just put in concrete tiles under the highway,this is used on 67 in missouri,not a big deal anymore.
You cannott use small box culverts under 67 north, Its bottom land. Fouche will require a big bridge as well as current river. I would bet everywhere there is a bridge already present would still need a bridge. go down 60 north of popular bluff they built a lot of bridges .
curtis

Jonesboro, AR

#41 Sep 28, 2012
You are acomplete and unmidigated inbred idiot!!!!
Just saying

Jonesboro, AR

#42 Sep 28, 2012
yogibear wrote:
good luck with that.Hwt 67 to corning has 12 bridges that will need improved or new bridges put in.going up thur okean & following the railroad tracks will be much cheaper in the long run. so do the math. tell me which is more likely to get approved.
Ar. Highway dept knew where the road was going when they stopped outside of Walnut Ridge. Look at the graded and unpaved portion that runs north from the hwy. They wouldn't have spent the money to do this unless the knew the direction.
Just the facts

Fayetteville, AR

#43 Oct 9, 2012
You might want to remember that the most powerful membe ofthe highway commission grew up in Pocahontas and owns a he'll of a lot of real estate there. That would be Dick Trammel. So where do you think he wants the road to go.
no way

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#46 Oct 10, 2012
Maynard wrote:
Clay is tryng to gain a large portion of Randolph county,they are wanting the Biggers school district added to clay county every thing east and stait north of keller lane would go to clay county,we would lose a lot of taxable property it would be a hit to our school district as well as maynards,i was afraid this was going to happen sooner or later because it would make clay county the largest county in the state of Arkansas,we will still have enough square miles to be a county,but we will be a lot smaller county.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hearing today 2 hr Guest 5
alcohol petition 4 hr gagg 23
NEA told to stop recording 4 hr gagg 5
alcohol petition 7 hr Agreed 3
New apartment's 22 hr how 18
Matt jansen 23 hr Verno 8
Country Kids daycare closing??? Wed Proola 6

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance