Pocahontas meets with Highway 67 Coalition about proposal

Sep 26, 2012 Full story: KAIT-TV 37

POCAHONTAS, AR - Pocahontas city officials are speaking with members of the Highway 67 Coalition this afternoon about the proposal of Highway 67 between Walnut Ridge and Missouri.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yogibear

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Sep 26, 2012
good luck with that.Hwt 67 to corning has 12 bridges that will need improved or new bridges put in.going up thur okean & following the railroad tracks will be much cheaper in the long run. so do the math. tell me which is more likely to get approved.
Easy Cruiser

Euless, TX

#2 Sep 26, 2012
yogibear wrote:
good luck with that.Hwt 67 to corning has 12 bridges that will need improved or new bridges put in.going up thur okean & following the railroad tracks will be much cheaper in the long run. so do the math. tell me which is more likely to get approved.
Well, if it is not built to interstate standards it will be cheaper to take it through Pocahontas on the present route. As a business freeway it would be built much sooner. other wise it will be many years in the future.
Buck

Salem, AR

#3 Sep 26, 2012
yogibear wrote:
You dont need to do any math the present route was 4 foot under water 2 yrs ago,why under gods green earth would anyone think their going to follow the present route,just not going to happen.
Homer

United States

#4 Sep 27, 2012
The shortest route should be the top choice. If you start making exceptions then the system would be compromised with zig-zags throughout the highway. I use the interstates systems daily and I don't believe that pokey should have any impact on the route. We are sorry about your luck. Happens everywhere. Relocate or make due with what you have. Invest in you history, it's all small towns have because the future doesn't look promising.
attention

Jonesboro, AR

#5 Sep 27, 2012
There are forms available for people to fill out probably available at county judge's office or city hall you people need to get off your butts and off the internet and go get one and ask poloticions whom are asking for your vote and sales tax raise what their intentions. I will not vote for any increase until proposal is passed. It's like giving a crack head crack and telling him or her not to use it until they can pay for it. Stand up and use your voting power to stop this game and voice by picking up a form and filling it out. We do matter and it takes all of us to make them listen. Vote no on tax they can't do anything without money. Their is a group in Missouri fighting the same battle and hired their own team to help them we can do the same I'm not giving up on the great people we have here and the people whom rely on this highway. It's time to stand up and take issues into our own hands we are strong and I believe in Pocahontas and have hope for our future. Vote no on tax and go fill out a form to let them know we are strong. Takes less time to fill out than to fire up computer and go on topix and get no where.

Conway, AR

#6 Sep 27, 2012
many local cities and well as other counties have voiced support for the bypass around Pocahontas. It's sad for Pocahontas; but the most feasible way is to bypass it.
funny how

Ash Flat, AR

#7 Sep 27, 2012
attention wrote:
There are forms available for people to fill out probably available at county judge's office or city hall you people need to get off your butts and off the internet and go get one and ask poloticions whom are asking for your vote and sales tax raise what their intentions. I will not vote for any increase until proposal is passed. It's like giving a crack head crack and telling him or her not to use it until they can pay for it. Stand up and use your voting power to stop this game and voice by picking up a form and filling it out. We do matter and it takes all of us to make them listen. Vote no on tax they can't do anything without money. Their is a group in Missouri fighting the same battle and hired their own team to help them we can do the same I'm not giving up on the great people we have here and the people whom rely on this highway. It's time to stand up and take issues into our own hands we are strong and I believe in Pocahontas and have hope for our future. Vote no on tax and go fill out a form to let them know we are strong. Takes less time to fill out than to fire up computer and go on topix and get no where.
you're using TOPIX'S to tell people not to vote for this road tax and where to go get a form to fill out. admitted it TOPIX'S does work in this county or you would buy an ad in the local paper to get somewhere instead of "no where" on topix. LOL
sorry

Ash Flat, AR

#8 Sep 27, 2012
I'm sorry to say it but it makes more sense to go around Pocahontas. First off if they did go through Pocahontas and take the current Hwy 67 they would have to build around 10-15 bridges because there are a lot of small bridges between here and Corning, so it's not cost effective.

Also, this is supposed to be interstate grade highway. How many interstates go through the heart of a town where they have to stop at stoplights? I can't think of any because people travel on interstates so that they don't have to stop at stoplights but can just keep going.

And it's time that Pocahontas realizes that we're not nearly as important as we were when Nick Wilson was State Senator and that all these years of local leaders not bringing in new industry and not fighting to keep what we have has cost us any clout that we may have.

I'm sadden by the fact that this will more or less end Pocahontas as we know it, but it's what's going to happen.
Churmudgeon

Ravenden, AR

#9 Sep 27, 2012
The road will belong to all the taxpayers in the state of Arkansas. Its best to spend the Taxpayers money wisely and build the best & cheapest route. There is nothing poky has that makes it necessary to have the 4 lane 67 build through randolph county. Poky has 4 lane between Poky and Nut hill that is sufficient. the road is for those who would use it. Its not to keep a dying town alive.
Churmudgeon

Ravenden, AR

#10 Sep 27, 2012
sorry wrote:
I'm sorry to say it but it makes more sense to go around Pocahontas. First off if they did go through Pocahontas and take the current Hwy 67 they would have to build around 10-15 bridges because there are a lot of small bridges between here and Corning, so it's not cost effective.
Also, this is supposed to be interstate grade highway. How many interstates go through the heart of a town where they have to stop at stoplights? I can't think of any because people travel on interstates so that they don't have to stop at stoplights but can just keep going.
And it's time that Pocahontas realizes that we're not nearly as important as we were when Nick Wilson was State Senator and that all these years of local leaders not bringing in new industry and not fighting to keep what we have has cost us any clout that we may have.
I'm sadden by the fact that this will more or less end Pocahontas as we know it, but it's what's going to happen.
I agree. However its not necessairly a bad thing when a town like poky dies. if we have less people there is less need for goverment goods & services. pocahontas has more population than it did back in the 60,s but I dont think it has really progressed. The city and county goverment grew. We have more eating places and Wal Mart. But look at what we have lost. We had brown shoe. Two sale barns. 5 implement farm tractor dealers. 4 new car dealerships, We had a handle mill,stave mill, cotton gin, 3 lumber yards, numerious gas stations & used car dealers. As far as im concerned the town has regressed. you cant entirely blame the local GOB,s. Every similar town in the USA has lost their manufacturing. The problem here is the local elected GOBS have big city dreams & ideas. And the taxpayers simply cannott affort those pipe dreams.
Churmudgeon

Ravenden, AR

#11 Sep 27, 2012
funny how wrote:
<quoted text>
you're using TOPIX'S to tell people not to vote for this road tax and where to go get a form to fill out. admitted it TOPIX'S does work in this county or you would buy an ad in the local paper to get somewhere instead of "no where" on topix. LOL
There isnt anything wrong with them doing this. First Admendment Right. I may not aggree with their opinion but I will defend their right to voice it.
consider this

United States

#12 Sep 27, 2012
To Mr. Churmudgeon, with all due respect...
One could surmise from your rhetoric that you have a bone to pick with Poky, haven't you so much as said so?
Be that as it may, consider this... If Poky is totally bypassed by a further easterly reroute, then the REAL benefactors of that plan would be travelers from Poplar Bluff/ St Louis, to Little Rock/Searcy.
Why shouldn't Pocahontas expect to at least be considered in the route? WHY SHOULD WE PAY TAXES FOR A HIGHWAY THAT PRIMARILY BENEFITS MISSOURI AND CENTRAL ARKANSAS?
Also, the issue of bridges is fixable... Remember that southeast of Corning presents a comparable lowlands problem. I'll bet that using the old 67 route could prove to be comparable in cost to other options.
Please don't hope so fervently that Pocahontas should die. Your normally persuasive arguments may be viewed as less than rational.
wack em

Swartz Creek, MI

#13 Sep 27, 2012
They aren't building the highway to save one town. Let them do the study and if its comparable financially bring it through. If it's a lot cheaper to use the shortest route then use it. The tax won't just be paid by people form pokey, it will be paid by everyone including travelers. If the leaders of Pocahontas weren't so greedy years ago it would have probably been finished already. I would bet good money that if the Wal-Mart distribution center were here Pocahontas would have had a four lane 67 25 years ago.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#14 Sep 27, 2012
consider this wrote:
To Mr. Churmudgeon, with all due respect...
One could surmise from your rhetoric that you have a bone to pick with Poky, haven't you so much as said so?
Be that as it may, consider this... If Poky is totally bypassed by a further easterly reroute, then the REAL benefactors of that plan would be travelers from Poplar Bluff/ St Louis, to Little Rock/Searcy.
Why shouldn't Pocahontas expect to at least be considered in the route? WHY SHOULD WE PAY TAXES FOR A HIGHWAY THAT PRIMARILY BENEFITS MISSOURI AND CENTRAL ARKANSAS?
Also, the issue of bridges is fixable... Remember that southeast of Corning presents a comparable lowlands problem. I'll bet that using the old 67 route could prove to be comparable in cost to other options.
Please don't hope so fervently that Pocahontas should die. Your normally persuasive arguments may be viewed as less than rational.
Even if the four lane 67 went through poky it wouldnt guarntee prosperity. Im of the opinion Poky is dying any way. good four lane 60 MPH road to jonesboro. And gas is still higher in Poky than anywhere else. rhere isnt anything unique or special to attract prosperity to Poky. If a farmer has rice to sell he takes it to jonesboro. beans & wheat to corning or newport.cotton to monette. The main industry in randolph county is farming& timber. There isnt anyplace here to sell logs or lumber. Magee dont buy hardly any wood they are plastic. look at all the places that the four lane road has come through. Go to Newport and take a look? When the four lane us connected between tuckerman & Hoxie. All those towns along route will die. Swifton hoxie & nut hill will decline furthur. The elected officials need to learn to cut back on expenditures they need to not spend more than revenues recieved. I dont reside in randolph county anymore. But I still have real property there. The GOB,s in poky need to realize that they need to cut back on luxury items. things like 3 fire stations. three parks. a indoor swimming pool. cushy jobs for all of their realtives & friends. You cant continue to try to fund luxury,s with grants and raising the taxes of the already fiancially strapped working folks. I wont rehash the fact that following the Rail road is the best cheapest shortest route. You know it and so does everyone else. You are as irrational as the folks who wanted to keep the twin rivers school district .
consider this

United States

#15 Sep 27, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Even if the four lane 67 went through poky it wouldnt guarntee prosperity. towns along route will die. But I still have real property there. The GOB,s in poky need to realize that they need to cut back on luxury items. I wont rehash the fact that following the Rail road is the best cheapest shortest route. You know it and so does everyone else. You are as irrational as the folks who wanted to keep the twin rivers school district .
I agree with most that you say, with the exception of the question of MY rationale. If the primary purpose is the efficiency of the shortest distance between Dallas-StLouis,(remember it as named the old Dallas Road), then why should the railroad EVER stop in ANY small town between? But it did stop, didn't it? Hence, the shortest line theory might not hold as much water as advertised. Roads DO attach many cities along a route, despite your assertations to the contrary.
Homer

United States

#16 Sep 27, 2012
consider this wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with most that you say, with the exception of the question of MY rationale. If the primary purpose is the efficiency of the shortest distance between Dallas-StLouis,(remember it as named the old Dallas Road), then why should the railroad EVER stop in ANY small town between? But it did stop, didn't it? Hence, the shortest line theory might not hold as much water as advertised. Roads DO attach many cities along a route, despite your assertations to the contrary.
The road system that connects small towns is already there. I suspect when the railroads were built we had industry that attracted the railroads to go through the towns. Your statements have been twisted to favor your opinion. The fact is a freeway should be the shortest path.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#17 Sep 27, 2012
consider this wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with most that you say, with the exception of the question of MY rationale. If the primary purpose is the efficiency of the shortest distance between Dallas-StLouis,(remember it as named the old Dallas Road), then why should the railroad EVER stop in ANY small town between? But it did stop, didn't it? Hence, the shortest line theory might not hold as much water as advertised. Roads DO attach many cities along a route, despite your assertations to the contrary.
The rail road that went to poky & college city was the cotton belt spur. The UP railroad is the one that the proposed route will follow. the primary purpose is to build the best road with the least amount of taxpayer money.
consider this

United States

#18 Sep 27, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>
The road system that connects small towns is already there. I suspect when the railroads were built we had industry that attracted the railroads to go through the towns. Your statements have been twisted to favor your opinion. The fact is a freeway should be the shortest path.
No, you know the actual FACT is that freeways ALMOST NEVER follow the exact shortest path. The best answer is not always apparent with simple engineering and cost estimates. We would also like to see a return on our investment, benefits reaped by those who shared tax money for the project. The answer is not as simple as you want it to be. And isn't it reasonable to say that any statement expressing opposition to any viewpoint could be considered as twisted?
wack em

Ypsilanti, MI

#19 Sep 27, 2012
consider this wrote:
<quoted text>No, you know the actual FACT is that freeways ALMOST NEVER follow the exact shortest path. The best answer is not always apparent with simple engineering and cost estimates. We would also like to see a return on our investment, benefits reaped by those who shared tax money for the project. The answer is not as simple as you want it to be. And isn't it reasonable to say that any statement expressing opposition to any viewpoint could be considered as twisted?
It's not just one town or counties return on investment, it's an entire state that is taxed to pay for the roads. I don't live in Pocahontas or depend on anyone or thing there for my livelihood. I live one county over and would rather see the cheapest, most practical, and quickest time to completion chosen over a more costly route that won't save a town anyway.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#20 Sep 27, 2012
consider this wrote:
<quoted text>No, you know the actual FACT is that freeways ALMOST NEVER follow the exact shortest path. The best answer is not always apparent with simple engineering and cost estimates. We would also like to see a return on our investment, benefits reaped by those who shared tax money for the project. The answer is not as simple as you want it to be. And isn't it reasonable to say that any statement expressing opposition to any viewpoint could be considered as twisted?
yes in many places a bypass is longer because its better to route around the towns congestion. Also its cheaper to buy vacant land than condemm residences & improvements to obtain the right of way. Poky has almost no industry and the wages are so low not much tax revenue is generated in poky. If the paycheck comes from the goverment coffers there in effect really isnt any tax revenue generated. Since the money was already taxed away from some producer whatever taxes a parasite does pay is just a portion of recycled money robbed from some producer. Its like gettin a dollar for free and paying a 10 cent handlig fee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Big Winner! 28 min chet 1
Bro Eric Moffet 43 min Macho Man 14
Do the theatre still have good shows? 2 hr the truth 17
Deans package store 6 hr Rob 9
Benny Blackwell 6 hr Ken 9
tom graham (Jun '12) 9 hr Dont believe tras... 8
where's all the weed?? 11 hr nofaithleft 4
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web