halfpint

Paragould, AR

#1 May 20, 2010
Hi, I recently adopted a dog from angel rescue, this dog seems to have been abused...you put your hands near her without her expecting it and she jumps and she is very very skittish but she won't snap at you, she won't bark, she has learned that I am alright but she still won't even go close to my husband or my son, Im guessing she was abused by a male. I was wondering if anyone else had animal that was the same way from angel rescue or if it was her previous owner that abused her.
Slayer

Chickasha, OK

#2 May 20, 2010
Given the dog was found at a "rescue" its likely they rescued the dog from an abusive environment.
Confused

United States

#3 May 20, 2010
This is sad, but Slayer is probably right.
kim

Canada

#4 May 20, 2010
More than likely it was the owners, why do you think it was at a rescue group to begin with? Most people who own animals have absolutly NO business even having kids, much less dogs and cats. I have seen my neighbors kids be so mean to their puppies that shouldn't have even been took away from their mom yet they were only like four weeks old when these people obtained them. Its a wonder they are still alive. This 4 year old lil girl was out on the porch beating the crap out of these very small puppies with a rake. I just almost yelled at the brat and then her mom finally walks outside. I'm sorry but I would have beat that childs butt and I would have to get rid of the dogs. There is no way I'd have dogs with violent lil kids like that. Makes you wonder where this child has learned this behavior.
Slayer

Chickasha, OK

#5 May 20, 2010
Typically people usually get into the animal rescue business because they love animals to begin with so hence want to rescue them from bad environments and situations, which is why the previous owners would be my guess. Animal rescues arent typically big money makers so usually if someone opens one they're more often than not taking on a big financial burden in helping the animals cause theres plenty of overhead involved and oftentimes exceeds funding which is why some of the larger ones in the area often have to hold various fundraises and food drives basically imagine all the costs of pet ownership but for multiple animals, housing/feeding/watering em, vet bills and vaccinations etc so moneys not usually a motivating factor for running one.
dog rescuer

Bossier City, LA

#6 May 20, 2010
I have rescued dogs from shelters. Most dogs in shelters are there for a reason. I agree with the above poster that some people should not have children, or pets. It's the poor little dogs and cats that suffer. Just be patient with the dog you took home. It may take a little while but once he/she learns you won't harm it you will have the best dog in the world. Rescue dogs seem to know when they have been rescued and will end up giving you more love than most dogs do.
halfpint

Paragould, AR

#7 May 23, 2010
the only reason it even crossed my mind that it could be happening at the rescue is because they have had the dog since january and the dog is 5-6 months old but she has had a rough life she was starved according to the vet as well...also, the dog is so far very loyal to me doesn't want to leave my side I even have to go with it to eat, but will have nothing i mean abosolutely nothing to do with my husband at all. it is good with the kids, gets excited to see the kids and really enjoys playing with them. Im happy with having her and knowing that her life will be good from here on out no matter what has happened in the past to it either by previous owner or whomever. The vet agrees it has definately been abused and gave me some great tips on how to handle that. thank you all for your replies.
Wondering

Charlotte, NC

#8 Oct 19, 2010
halfpint wrote:
Hi, I recently adopted a dog from angel rescue,
I have never heard of this rescue and can not find it online. How do I see the animals they have available. I am looking for a new baby to add to my pack.

Thanks
fellow dog owner

Jonesboro, AR

#9 Oct 19, 2010
I've had a dog that had been abused and dropped off on our road probably because he had seizures. He was skittish, did not like men, etc. It just took time. I worked with him, petting him, calling his name, telling him good boy, etc. Eventually he came to...even liked my dad. One of the sweetest dogs I've had. We had him until he passed a few years ago due to seizures.

Just spend some extra time with your new dog: petting her, telling her she's a good girl, have your son/husband throw her favorite toy, give her a reward for any improvement made (this can be food, treat, petting, positive talk, etc)
interested party

AOL

#10 Jan 25, 2013
How can I get in touch with Angel Rescue?
Angela

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Mar 3, 2013
They have their contact info and posters over at Game Xtreme. I forget what the lady's name was.
Bill

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Mar 17, 2013
Good
Arron

Mountain Home, AR

#13 Jul 21, 2013
i need the number for angels rescue i found a dog on the side of the road and i cant keep him but he needs a good place
Concerned

Ash Flat, AR

#14 Jul 21, 2013
Where did you find the dog??
Just Sayin

Jonesboro, AR

#15 Jul 22, 2013
halfpint wrote:
Hi, I recently adopted a dog from angel rescue, this dog seems to have been abused...you put your hands near her without her expecting it and she jumps and she is very very skittish but she won't snap at you, she won't bark, she has learned that I am alright but she still won't even go close to my husband or my son, Im guessing she was abused by a male. I was wondering if anyone else had animal that was the same way from angel rescue or if it was her previous owner that abused her.
I have heard some bad things about this group,don't know if they are true or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When did all the colored people move in? 34 min Guest 52
Police Chase 6 hr Don G 2
Supreme Court 7 hr Guest 53
Sarah Rice 8 hr fyi 6
jerome quist 10 hr got it 8
Brittany Bagwell (May '10) 12 hr well 9
kathy smith 12 hr got it 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pocahontas Mortgages