Pocahontas voters approve tax plan to fund water park

There are 47 comments on the KAIT-TV Jonesboro story from Jun 12, 2013, titled Pocahontas voters approve tax plan to fund water park. In it, KAIT-TV Jonesboro reports that:

A rough draft of the proposed water park POCAHONTAS, AR - Both half-cent sales tax proposals on the hotly contested issue HAVE passed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KAIT-TV Jonesboro.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
A Resident

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Jun 13, 2013
They would have gotten the tax one way or another, lets hope they don't squander it. I feel the town should be audited from an outside source to see if any criminal misuse is going on with our dollars they keep taking.

Bradford, AR

#2 Jun 13, 2013
the front page of the paper tells the truth about who this complex is really being built for.
what

Ash Flat, AR

#3 Jun 13, 2013
guest wrote:
the front page of the paper tells the truth about who this complex is really being built for.
a few kids? I thought it was 70!
flash

Mountain Home, AR

#4 Jun 13, 2013
They will be sorry that the stupid people voted it in just wait and see!!!!!!!!!!
Advocate

Jonesboro, AR

#5 Jun 13, 2013
My opinion is that the city doesn't need this stupid tax to begin with since they arrest enough people for drug busts and collect money from the bail-bonds to more than make up for the cost of the pools. the cops use the cities building to fix there co cars and park them at they homes where it is supposed to me illegal to do that. So i say to heck with the taxes they can get the money from ANOTHER source
Pocahontas Uncle Sam

Jonesboro, AR

#6 Jun 13, 2013
Advocate wrote:
My opinion is that the city doesn't need this stupid tax to begin with since they arrest enough people for drug busts and collect money from the bail-bonds to more than make up for the cost of the pools. the cops use the cities building to fix there co cars and park them at they homes where it is supposed to me illegal to do that. So i say to heck with the taxes they can get the money from ANOTHER source
let's do this, just buy more in the city and the pools will be built faster. What do you think about that....

Cherokee Village, AR

#7 Jun 13, 2013
Northeast Arkansas job news:
JOnesboro has brought in several new companies hiring several people.
Paragould is on the move planning and working with companies to obtain new jobs.
Pocahontas with one of its last dying breaths raised taxes for a pool, cutting its last hope of ever attracting any new jobs. Companies NEVER go where the taxes are the highest in an area.
Even Batesville is trying to attract a new gun company to make more jobs.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Counter point

Ash Flat, AR

#8 Jun 13, 2013
Manufacturers don't care about sales taxes because they don't pay them on their goods. Only where they are retailed. Paragould had a mich higher tax rate when they were paying off their pool yet the jobs went to them and not to Pocahontas. Batesville has a much higher tax than Pocahontas even after the pool tax, yet they have continued to grow. Rogers fayetville and Springdale have have had higher tax rates than Pocahontas or walnut ridge. Your theory about taxes is pointless. That is true of corporate and income taxes, not of sales taxes.
Guest wrote:
Northeast Arkansas job news:
JOnesboro has brought in several new companies hiring several people.
Paragould is on the move planning and working with companies to obtain new jobs.
Pocahontas with one of its last dying breaths raised taxes for a pool, cutting its last hope of ever attracting any new jobs. Companies NEVER go where the taxes are the highest in an area.
Even Batesville is trying to attract a new gun company to make more jobs.
Curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9 Jun 14, 2013
If your against the tax you still dont have to pay it. Simply dont buy anything in the city of pocahontas. You do have that option. Example instead of buying from Ace hardware go to maynard and buy from Marty Cagle. Good 4 lane road to jonesboro. Boycott poky. You can save enough on feed & farm supplys to pay for the drive to Thayer Mo. to Hirsch feed. Corn is $8.50 for a 50 pound bag. They have more items than farm service and at better prices. While your there shop at wallace & owens and harps grocery. The Walmart is a small store. However many items are cheaper than at the Poky walmart. sales tax is cheaper also. Forchelms have a hardware & appliance store & a auto parts and sell mowers tillers ect. Visit Mammoth spring park and swin in the spring river. shop in the stores on main stree in mammoth spring. Stop and shop at Hardy on the way to Thayer.Swim and canoe in the spring river. canp at the campsites available on spring river rather than the city park on black river. You wont be ate up by mosquitos. Boycott Poky starve the beast!
That is right Jack

Jonesboro, AR

#10 Jun 14, 2013
Sad to tell you that Walnut Ridge is looking into a 1 % sale tax and Corning on a 1% with Hardy 1% maybe a food tax added for a water park. They are taking it to the voters in Oct. Jonesboro is doing a study on a 1/4% tax. Jonesboro tax base is at 12.2%. Wow! That to me is high!
JOI

El Dorado, AR

#11 Jun 14, 2013
Nothing but a bunch of chuck talk about nothing. this town is dead so move on to Helena, or Pine Bluff or Eudora.

Bradford, AR

#12 Jun 14, 2013
Counter point wrote:
Manufacturers don't care about sales taxes because they don't pay them on their goods. Only where they are retailed. Paragould had a mich higher tax rate when they were paying off their pool yet the jobs went to them and not to Pocahontas. Batesville has a much higher tax than Pocahontas even after the pool tax, yet they have continued to grow. Rogers fayetville and Springdale have have had higher tax rates than Pocahontas or walnut ridge. Your theory about taxes is pointless. That is true of corporate and income taxes, not of sales taxes.
<quoted text>
Paragould have JOBS
Batesville Have jobs
the people that pushed this
PROGRESS JUST FINISHED POCAHONTAS
Taxes

Cleveland, OH

#13 Jun 14, 2013
If they taxed cigarettes a quarter a pack they would pay for it in a week the way most of you Hicks smoke all the time . I be 50 % of the folks that live there have a gert stuck in their face at least 20 times a day
Just sayin

Jonesboro, AR

#14 Jun 14, 2013
Pocahontas Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text> let's do this, just buy more in the city and the pools will be built faster. What do you think about that....
We will be doing ALL of our shopping and eating out somewhere besides Pocahontas..
Just sayin

Jonesboro, AR

#15 Jun 14, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
If your against the tax you still dont have to pay it. Simply dont buy anything in the city of pocahontas. You do have that option. Example instead of buying from Ace hardware go to maynard and buy from Marty Cagle. Good 4 lane road to jonesboro. Boycott poky. You can save enough on feed & farm supplys to pay for the drive to Thayer Mo. to Hirsch feed. Corn is $8.50 for a 50 pound bag. They have more items than farm service and at better prices. While your there shop at wallace & owens and harps grocery. The Walmart is a small store. However many items are cheaper than at the Poky walmart. sales tax is cheaper also. Forchelms have a hardware & appliance store & a auto parts and sell mowers tillers ect. Visit Mammoth spring park and swin in the spring river. shop in the stores on main stree in mammoth spring. Stop and shop at Hardy on the way to Thayer.Swim and canoe in the spring river. canp at the campsites available on spring river rather than the city park on black river. You wont be ate up by mosquitos. Boycott Poky starve the beast!
You will still be paying higher taxes on utilities,insurance,and property..
Just sayin

Jonesboro, AR

#16 Jun 14, 2013
Taxes wrote:
If they taxed cigarettes a quarter a pack they would pay for it in a week the way most of you Hicks smoke all the time . I be 50 % of the folks that live there have a gert stuck in their face at least 20 times a day
We buy our cigarettes in Missouri.
Curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#17 Jun 14, 2013
My property is out in the county and I dont live in randolph county any longer.so the city wont ever see a penny in tax revenue from me.
get over it

Ash Flat, AR

#18 Jun 15, 2013
Don't go to the water park if ur just going to bitch. It passed. it`s going to happen. Deal with it and move on.
Flood Watcher

Killeen, TX

#19 Jun 15, 2013
get over it wrote:
Don't go to the water park if ur just going to bitch. It passed. it`s going to happen. Deal with it and move on.
Elections can be over turned...
Stupid post

Ash Flat, AR

#20 Jun 15, 2013
Flood Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
Elections can be over turned...
Does typing BS like this make you feel like a bad a**? You cannot overturn this election. If I am wrong, prove it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jessie holdner 2 hr cat 3
financial abuse of parent 3 hr happened to us 7
is Pocahontas a nice place 9 hr Randolph County 7
heather d 12 hr auntie 6
desperately seeking housing 14 hr puscifer 1
Tim bagwell 15 hr Guest 7
Larry Haynes (Sep '09) 21 hr donnie 49
More from around the web

Pocahontas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE