Does the Star Hearld seem biased on t...

Does the Star Hearld seem biased on the ambulance issue?

Posted in the Pocahontas Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
is it just me

Foley, AL

#1 Nov 25, 2012
Does anyone else think the star hearld is biased over the ambulance issue? It seems to me that they do everything in their power to make the city council look good on this issue. Wonder why they would do this, isn't their job to just report the facts and let their readers know the facts? Just wondering if it were just me?
LOL

Bexar, AR

#2 Nov 25, 2012
report the facts?
lets see if you're looking for facts
unbiased news best not read that paper.jmo
why hasn't kait reported on this?
keep it in the family

United States

#3 Nov 25, 2012
I've got one question...does one of the newspaper reporters work for one of the aldermen?

If this is so, does this make the print media a toy of the city council?

A council member has given orders to the paper to publish a council action in a light more favorable to the council.

The paper will howl in protest that they are unbiased...good luck trying to convince them otherwise.

Foley, AL

#4 Nov 26, 2012
keep it in the family wrote:
I've got one question...does one of the newspaper reporters work for one of the aldermen?
If this is so, does this make the print media a toy of the city council?
A council member has given orders to the paper to publish a council action in a light more favorable to the council.
The paper will howl in protest that they are unbiased...good luck trying to convince them otherwise.
That's right, the reporter does work at the radio station. I hadn't thought of that. That's handy, don't want to piss off the boss.
keep it in the family

United States

#5 Nov 26, 2012
EXACTLY

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#6 Nov 28, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right, the reporter does work at the radio station. I hadn't thought of that. That's handy, don't want to piss off the boss.
You mean that low powered station that nobody really listens to because they lie and are even more biasied that MSNBC?
too much white space

United States

#7 Nov 28, 2012
AND the low tonight will be forty three degrees yessir unh huh that's right

Is his script doublespaced or what?
dont know nothin

Benton City, WA

#8 Nov 28, 2012
littleSally wrote:
<quoted text> You mean that low powered station that nobody really listens to because they lie and are even more biasied that MSNBC?
um what is so wrong with ambulance franchises anyways?... and don't you mean FOX?... yah i think you mean FOX

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#9 Nov 29, 2012
dont know nothin wrote:
<quoted text>um what is so wrong with ambulance franchises anyways?... and don't you mean FOX?... yah i think you mean FOX
No I mean MSNBC and if you are as dumb and as uninformed itappears you are,is it is because you are on Meth andjust spent a few days in the Medford city jail for child endangerment. You would understand why my parents and the Majority of voters decided to voted against the franchise. Now Obama wants to cut your unearned welfare entitlement which would include your free internet .
Will you have to go back to servicing loggers and druggies on the street corners again , since the children services have now taken your children away from you and there will be no more checks from them to feed your addiction?
the real deal

United States

#10 Nov 29, 2012
dont know nothin wrote:
<quoted text>um what is so wrong with ambulance franchises anyways?... and don't you mean FOX?... yah i think you mean FOX
Hey, seriously, I'll answer your franchise question....
An EXCLUSIVE ambulance franchise has ONLY ONE "PRO" argument, and that is in cities the size of Pocahontas, where ambulance profit is marginal at best, it is considered advantageous to limit competition. The idea is that instead of two EMS companies "cutting corners" to make a profit, You instead limit to one supposedly profitable company offering higher quality services.
Unfortunately for the citizens of the city and county, it hasn't worked out for us.
The city council is entrenched, and publicly refuses to consider ANY opposing information or data. An attempt to create an EMS board was refused, the council jealously hoards that job, and will not hear complaints against the new company. They DO NOT actively pursue sufficient oversight. Why should they? If they were to discover the actual performance of existing service, then their new franchise idea would be proven a bad idea for our city.
With our current franchise ordinance, if you are dissatisfied with the ambulance service, you don't
have a choice, you have to take what the city gives
you.
Thanks to the referendum, at least we have a choice for a while. Andit is worth noting that the city council, although they "lost" the franchise election, still publicly refuses to believe that people don't want the franchise. And these are the "managers" of your EMS. Good luck with that!

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#11 Nov 29, 2012
The paper IMO is very bias on this issue along with other issues. when you start to think you're the smartest person in town and think citzens will believe your opinion as a fact just because it's in print that only proves what an ass you're making of yourself.
Dan

Ash Flat, AR

#12 Nov 29, 2012
This whole limit competition complaint is totally bogus. How many ambulance companies served Randolph county before the franchise: one. How many ambulance companies serve it after the franchise: one. There is actually more competition because at least every few years any company that wants can bid to provide service to the area. The real pro is that because profit is so marginal in the area, without any kind of regulation the single service we had could continue cutting corners even though it hurt patient care. We had less ambulances than were needed and had to rely on other cou ties on an almost daily basis to cover this county. No other county around us has to do that. Medic one was asked to improve this amd wouldn't. A franchise guarantees certain standards and a minimum amount of coverage that we need.
And what we had with a franchise and promed was much better than what we had previously. Don't listen to me or to the medic one people. Ask some other medics and emts who live here but don't work for either company. There are a lot of them.
the real deal wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, seriously, I'll answer your franchise question....
An EXCLUSIVE ambulance franchise has ONLY ONE "PRO" argument, and that is in cities the size of Pocahontas, where ambulance profit is marginal at best, it is considered advantageous to limit competition. The idea is that instead of two EMS companies "cutting corners" to make a profit, You instead limit to one supposedly profitable company offering higher quality services.
Unfortunately for the citizens of the city and county, it hasn't worked out for us.
The city council is entrenched, and publicly refuses to consider ANY opposing information or data. An attempt to create an EMS board was refused, the council jealously hoards that job, and will not hear complaints against the new company. They DO NOT actively pursue sufficient oversight. Why should they? If they were to discover the actual performance of existing service, then their new franchise idea would be proven a bad idea for our city.
With our current franchise ordinance, if you are dissatisfied with the ambulance service, you don't
you.
Thanks to the referendum, at least we have a choice for a while. Andit is worth noting that the city council, although they "lost" the franchise election, still publicly refuses to believe that people don't want the franchise. And these are the "managers" of your EMS. Good luck with that!

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#13 Nov 29, 2012
you can not say for a fact that promed was able to provide coverage for randolph county 100% or that they provide better care. you have no proof, the city has no proof, only talk with no stats to back up your claim or you would have a link.

i think promed has done a good job and has good employees i also think the same of medic one.
Dan wrote:
This whole limit competition complaint is totally bogus. How many ambulance companies served Randolph county before the franchise: one. How many ambulance companies serve it after the franchise: one. There is actually more competition because at least every few years any company that wants can bid to provide service to the area. The real pro is that because profit is so marginal in the area, without any kind of regulation the single service we had could continue cutting corners even though it hurt patient care. We had less ambulances than were needed and had to rely on other cou ties on an almost daily basis to cover this county. No other county around us has to do that. Medic one was asked to improve this amd wouldn't. A franchise guarantees certain standards and a minimum amount of coverage that we need.
And what we had with a franchise and promed was much better than what we had previously. Don't listen to me or to the medic one people. Ask some other medics and emts who live here but don't work for either company. There are a lot of them.
<quoted text>
the real deal

United States

#14 Nov 29, 2012
guest wrote:
you can not say for a fact that promed was able to provide coverage for randolph county 100% or that they provide better care. you have no proof, the city has no proof, only talk with no stats to back up your claim or you would have a link.
i think promed has done a good job and has good employees i also think the same of medic one.
<quoted text>
You as a nonpartisan observer spoke the truth regarding evaluation of the new service. And I spoke the truth when I stated that the city council does not actively and objectively research performance of the new company. I'll say that the council is qualified as an administrator for city business, but they are simply not medically educated enough to perform as an EMS Board. The council rejected a request to appoint a medically qualified board, why was that? I'll say their primary EMS Board duty of care for the health and safety of
citizens is now compromised by their struggle to win the franchise political battle. If the council loses, they look weak. Why didn't they insulate themselves from this predicament, and simultaneously protect the safety of citiens by appointing that independent EMS Board. What is there to fear?

Mountain Home, AR

#15 Nov 29, 2012
Where was this concern for a EMS board before all this started? Those same people who are fighting against Pro-Med never saw the need for one when it was medic one in there. NO matter you opinion of the council any oversight they do provide is a hell of a lot more oversight than there was before. no one can deny that. and the job of an ems board or council isn't to write medical protocols. It doesn't take a DR to understand statistics and seek advice. If the city can own and run a hospital why are they unqualified to have oversight of the administrative side of ems service.

Ask yourself this. IF Medic one had bid and been awarded the franchise would you see a push by medic one employees for an EMS board? Would have you have seen the push for the public vote? If medic one is awarded the bid this time is Andy Ball going to push for another vote to overturn it since it isn't about once service or another just "peoples wishes?" The answer to those questions is most definitely no. And it shows their hypocrisy. This is a political agenda by medic one plain and simple.
the real deal wrote:
<quoted text>You as a nonpartisan observer spoke the truth regarding evaluation of the new service. And I spoke the truth when I stated that the city council does not actively and objectively research performance of the new company. I'll say that the council is qualified as an administrator for city business, but they are simply not medically educated enough to perform as an EMS Board. The council rejected a request to appoint a medically qualified board, why was that? I'll say their primary EMS Board duty of care for the health and safety of
citizens is now compromised by their struggle to win the franchise political battle. If the council loses, they look weak. Why didn't they insulate themselves from this predicament, and simultaneously protect the safety of citiens by appointing that independent EMS Board. What is there to fear?
Sad but true

Jonesboro, AR

#16 Nov 29, 2012
guest wrote:
Where was this concern for a EMS board before all this started? Those same people who are fighting against Pro-Med never saw the need for one when it was medic one in there. NO matter you opinion of the council any oversight they do provide is a hell of a lot more oversight than there was before. no one can deny that. and the job of an ems board or council isn't to write medical protocols. It doesn't take a DR to understand statistics and seek advice. If the city can own and run a hospital why are they unqualified to have oversight of the administrative side of ems service.
Ask yourself this. IF Medic one had bid and been awarded the franchise would you see a push by medic one employees for an EMS board? Would have you have seen the push for the public vote? If medic one is awarded the bid this time is Andy Ball going to push for another vote to overturn it since it isn't about once service or another just "peoples wishes?" The answer to those questions is most definitely no. And it shows their hypocrisy. This is a political agenda by medic one plain and simple.
<quoted text>
VERY WELL SAID! As I said before having a EMS board is not going to happen. To many people telling how to take care of people well being. I like pro-med and Medic-one, AET. On Medic-One i will not call 911 an send Medic One out. I call that's bad business!
dont know nothin

Benton City, WA

#17 Nov 29, 2012
littleSally wrote:
<quoted text> No I mean MSNBC and if you are as dumb and as uninformed itappears you are,is it is because you are on Meth andjust spent a few days in the Medford city jail for child endangerment. You would understand why my parents and the Majority of voters decided to voted against the franchise. Now Obama wants to cut your unearned welfare entitlement which would include your free internet .
Will you have to go back to servicing loggers and druggies on the street corners again , since the children services have now taken your children away from you and there will be no more checks from them to feed your addiction?
let met tell you something woman fox news is the only network on cable tv that was taken to court over lieing and won that case due to freedom of press and is currently lossing ratings and viewers due to lieing hypocritical opinions.... second off never assume you know someone you don't and to try and degrade and humiliate someone for your own personal pleasure when you know nothing about that person... it is shameful and pure ignorance .. i don't know your parents nor do i care to know them or you... and you have given no reason as to why a franchise would hurt anything in the town... so you can take your cynicism and your hypocritical ways of thinking .. and preach to some other choir..and i beleive all entitlements are well earned especially social security and medicare both and all of which i am not being assisted by... so here's a bit of advice little girl... grow up ... because if you go off in the world thinking the way you do someone would and will be glad to open your eyes for you.
dont know nothin

Benton City, WA

#18 Nov 29, 2012
the real deal wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, seriously, I'll answer your franchise question....
you.
so pocahontas voted in favor of the franchise and won?
the real deal

United States

#19 Nov 29, 2012
The "oversight" provided by the council is arguable as "overlooking", error by omission, or any number of means to describe hiding the true facts and agenda of the council. The method of hiding is to FAILURE to appropriately monitor the new EMS service, It has NOTHING to do with MEDICAL PROTOCOLS, and you should know that.
And to continue to expose your use of red herrings, note that the council publicly admits it's inability to administer a hospital, didn't they appoint an outside hospital board? Didn't they appoint an outside zoning board. Why would they appoint outsiders, aren't they the experts as you imply? THE ANSWER TO THAT IS A RESOUNDING NO!
And isn't it funny that you demean and casually toss aside the winning NO vote a "just" the peoples wishes? Shame on you, sound just like a council member.
Remember, after all, it was entirely ONLY THE VOTERS OF POCAHONTAS THAT SAID NO TO FRANCHISE. You should listen to them.

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#20 Nov 29, 2012
why is the city being sued for 1.6 million dollars?
why did they have to hire an outside attorney?
don't brag to fast on your council and city attorney it will bite you in the butt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 13 min Reality Check 38,835
Dish TV 1 hr Old man 1
Best Brawler in Pocahontas?!? (Jan '15) 2 hr bloodbeach 46
Game and fish bust (Dec '16) 6 hr Ann 75
This chick nicole horne has herps and doesnt te... 7 hr Just Asking 5
Lazy peeps in pokey Tue Ann 20
House Fire on Newberry Tue Ann 1

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance