More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,150

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
torpeda

United States

#9415 Jul 9, 2013
Dave Miller wrote:
You guys need to have them birds tested and don't leave it all to the government .
Yes that's true
dumdum hed

United States

#9416 Jul 9, 2013
Im asking for this thread to be taken down. This has gone on for too long. This thread's demise is at hand. GOODbye!!
by bye birdie

San Jose, CA

#9417 Jul 9, 2013
dumdum hed wrote:
Im asking for this thread to be taken down. This has gone on for too long. This thread's demise is at hand. GOODbye!!
One flew over the cuckoo's nest.
Goodbye
joe

Longview, TX

#9418 Jul 10, 2013
why are y'all still talking about something that happened more than 2 years ago?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9419 Jul 10, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
I've got four little ones in the Swallow nest near my front door. Man they make a mess!
That mess is insects that can no longer eat you.:)

SE Michigan

#9420 Jul 10, 2013
torpeda wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that's true
Have the birds tested for what?

SE Michigan

#9421 Jul 10, 2013
joe wrote:
why are y'all still talking about something that happened more than 2 years ago?
For the same reason we still talk about things that happened over 200 years ago.
Curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9422 Jul 11, 2013
Raptor Dont you just hate it that it is still a Republic and your wishes and thought,s cannott infringe on my counstitional rights. I still have a leagal right to trap and kill varmits like raccons ect. My poultry is more important to me than the life of some varmit.Those conibar body grip traps are very efficient.they very quickly squeeze the life out of anything that gets in them. I bet I could take some car leaf springs and other junk and build a human sized one. That what we need to have set on the border to catch the illegals!!!
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9423 Jul 11, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
That mess is insects that can no longer eat you.:)
That mess is bird poop!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#9424 Jul 11, 2013
Wow!
dewitt

Cabot, AR

#9425 Jul 12, 2013
Hhuug
george

United States

#9426 Jul 12, 2013
Anyone heard an update about West Nile virus in arkansas lately?

SE Michigan

#9427 Jul 12, 2013
george wrote:
Anyone heard an update about West Nile virus in arkansas lately?
Why do you care? You're in Texas.

SE Michigan

#9428 Jul 12, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
Raptor Dont you just hate it that it is still a Republic and your wishes and thought,s cannott infringe on my counstitional rights. I still have a leagal right to trap and kill varmits like raccons ect. My poultry is more important to me than the life of some varmit.Those conibar body grip traps are very efficient.they very quickly squeeze the life out of anything that gets in them. I bet I could take some car leaf springs and other junk and build a human sized one. That what we need to have set on the border to catch the illegals!!!
Churm, Don't you just hate it every time you come across a dead animal in one of your traps when you go to remove it and all of the sudden you realize God is watching you and even if you hide behind a tree, he can still see you?

Don't you hate kmowing that somewhere a sweet, little innocent baby is waiting for their Mommy or Daddy to return with food, but won't because some uneducated (in some ways) human took it upon himself to end the parents life for some selfish or other unknown reason?

Don't you hate that fleeting thought that what you think are "varmints" are just as much God's creatures as we are?

Don't you just hate the fact that the Constitution says nothing about having the right to kill what we want, when we want for whatever reason we want?

I'll tell you what, when I get my book done, I'll give you a free copy just because. It's a story about Spike, the raccoon that has been living in my yard and raising her babies there for several years now. This years' young one is the sweetest thing........Just the other morning right before daylight, I was outside filling up the jelly feeders for the orioles, when I heard rustling in the brush. Out walks this young raccoon, about teenager size. Anyway, this innocent little thing walks slowly towards me to within about eight feet and then stands up on his/her hind legs like a dog would do that begs. It's scrawny arms reaching out to me as if to say, "Can I have some of that, please?"

I knew that once I headed off to work, that Spike's kid would get the jelly and not the orioles. That's okay. I have other jelly feeders with baffles that raccoons and squirrels can't get to. There is enough to go around.

I look at it this way; If I put food outside, it's fair game for anything that eats. I won't stress myself out over trying to only feed my favorite things. God gave each creature the same right to try to survive and I can't overrule God.

If I don't want an animal to eat something, I don't put it outside where they can get to it. It's a simple no kill solution.

SE Michigan

#9429 Jul 12, 2013
Notice I said uneducated (in some ways.) In other ways you seem very intelligent. I bet you are one interesting dude!

SE Michigan

#9430 Jul 12, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>That mess is bird poop!
The other day I was driving down I75 when I noticed a big bird flying above. I tried to make a positive ID on the bird, but at 75 mph, it's a little difficult. When I looked up at it, it let loose a big one. I could see it fall. Then my eyes went back to the bird for the id and all of the sudden, SPLAT!....four huge spots on my windshield and two more on my hood. I wonder if birds can be identified by poop alone.
Curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9431 Jul 12, 2013
Raptor your long winded post has nothing to do with gods wiil. Idont hate anyone seeing thet I am successful with my talents and gifts the make me a hunter trapper and killer of varmits. In fact if god was worried about my actions he wouldnt have allowed me to be so successful. And just how am I expexted to prevent my half acre of roasting ears from being ruined by raccoons. How can a watermelon farmer prevent 40 xcres fron being ruined by coyotes. how can you prevent trees from being bamaged by beaver. And Deer tear up fences eat gardens shrubs and spread disease. varmits and predators are out of controlin many places because of mamby pambys like you. Those racoons carry rabies and distemper. wait until they start denning up in your attic and you get sick from their accumulated feces. I know Ill never change the way you think & feel. you should know by now you cant prevent me fron doing what i deen necessairy to prevent animal predation mitigate loss damage. However its a lot of fun yanking your chain. Are you having fun yet. You can bet I am.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9432 Jul 12, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
The other day I was driving down I75 when I noticed a big bird flying above. I tried to make a positive ID on the bird, but at 75 mph, it's a little difficult. When I looked up at it, it let loose a big one. I could see it fall. Then my eyes went back to the bird for the id and all of the sudden, SPLAT!....four huge spots on my windshield and two more on my hood. I wonder if birds can be identified by poop alone.
Now that's funny. Next week I am heading to Greer, Arizona to camp out for 10 days in the mountains and get a little trout fishing in. I have noticed an increase in eagles around here lately.
Curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9433 Jul 12, 2013
There was a woman and her female friend in a little convertable with the top down passing a truck pulling a cattle trailer being driven by yours truly.. just as they started around a large bull with the squirts let it go the passenger was covered with about 10 pounds of runny bull manure! I seen it happen from my rear view mirror. I was really laughing as they passed They where giving me the finger so Naturally I blew the air horn. The driver was startled by the noise and only had one hand(the other was busy giving me the bird) on the wheel and lost control. They went sideways and ran off the shoulder and luckly they gained control and sped away. I wonder if they soiled their underware? There where two birds flying in this narrative.

Forrest City, AR

#9434 Jul 13, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
There was a woman and her female friend in a little convertable with the top down passing a truck pulling a cattle trailer being driven by yours truly.. just as they started around a large bull with the squirts let it go the passenger was covered with about 10 pounds of runny bull manure! I seen it happen from my rear view mirror. I was really laughing as they passed They where giving me the finger so Naturally I blew the air horn. The driver was startled by the noise and only had one hand(the other was busy giving me the bird) on the wheel and lost control. They went sideways and ran off the shoulder and luckly they gained control and sped away. I wonder if they soiled their underware? There where two birds flying in this narrative.
Sh@t hit the fan...sorry, I coulbn't help myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicken Plant 1 hr Bulls Eye 6
Daycare 2 hr Lacey 4
Benny Blackwell 3 hr Chris 7
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr BARNEYII 30,462
Work needed for Christmas 7 hr Beatle 28
Do the theatre still have good shows? Wed the truth 15
I must be obsolete Wed curious 8
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web