More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,149

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9394 Jun 25, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I bet your panel is double the size you just posted. I bet your fat belly looks like the front of an old washing mashine!
Sorry about your stupid ass opinion, it is as ignorant as you, I'm 6'@195lbs of smart assed crazed man that can can kick over your midget ass head with either foot and strong enough to even pull your head out of your ass? When I posted ^ I was backing you up...but F U you stupid biotch rooster cockchewer. Ever took an IQ test to get your benefits?
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9395 Jun 25, 2013
Do really stupid people saying the most really stupid shit make your inner thoughts come out? Me neither, I hold back really, got a firewall!
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9396 Jun 25, 2013
Warrior...all jokes aside just take all of your meds as prescribed by the VA as the less time you live the lower the cost burden on us good people that are positive?
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9397 Jun 26, 2013
fifty1fifty wrote:
Warrior...all jokes aside just take all of your meds as prescribed by the VA as the less time you live the lower the cost burden on us good people that are positive?
Dude you got some mental issues. I think your mammy aborted your brain at birth!
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9398 Jun 26, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Dude you got some mental issues. I think your mammy aborted your brain at birth!
Everybody has mental issues but your thoughts are like your mamma's poonanny if you get past the smell and the bugs/scabs/semen you got it licked.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9399 Jun 26, 2013
After having a family of raccoons sharing my yard for the past several years and witnessing and photographing the love and devotion of the mother and the puppy-like playfulness of the babies, this story just breaks my heart.
Another reason traps and trapping should be outlawed. This is absolutely f'ing cruel and the people that did this should be killed in the same manner.
http://beebenews.com/...
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9400 Jun 26, 2013
Let's leave WORRIER alone and let him listen to FOX News. People get too much fluoride nowadays I guess?(:
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9401 Jun 26, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
After having a family of raccoons sharing my yard for the past several years and witnessing and photographing the love and devotion of the mother and the puppy-like playfulness of the babies, this story just breaks my heart.
Another reason traps and trapping should be outlawed. This is absolutely f'ing cruel and the people that did this should be killed in the same manner.
http://beebenews.com/...
Ever open up a live trap with a racoon/squirrel/possum /bobcat/coyote in it? Some are very mad at least at you for letting them loose and it can be life threatening. As on youtube.com check them but carry a big hickory stick to knock them the hell out. Good people there but they will knock the shit out of a coyote or bobcat(:

SE Michigan

#9402 Jun 27, 2013
Since mid-May I have been desperately trying to capture a Canada Warbler on digital media to add to my warbler collection of photographs. It has not been easy.

I missed a really good opportunity early in the season when I heard it singing, but it was hiding in some dense cover between two fallen, dead cedar trees in the spruce/fir forest that surrounds my cabin in northern MI. Wanting to confirm what I was hearing, I raised my binoculars to try to get a brief glimpse of any part of the bird that I could to help me make a positive ID. It then hopped up onto an open branch, bright sunlight hitting its chest, and stared at me in all it's glory. By the time I lowered my binos and raised my camera, he (it was a brilliant, beautiful male in perfect spring plumage) darted away and I missed what would have been a GREAT shot. This has haunted me for the past six weeks.

I have not given up. He continues to sing, off and on, from my spruce bog and gets quiet every time I get close. Searching for his nest is worse than looking for a needle in a haystack. A few times he showed himself, but only briefly, and always from behind too many branches to shoot through.(With a camera, of course.)

What am I getting at? This is how I've spent my (long) weekends all spring and summer so far...hell bent on a Canada Warbler photo! That's why I haven't posted much on the threads.

This bird will soon start to molt and in the blink of an eye will not look the way he does now. He will be just another drab, little confusing fall warbler who has mostly fallen silent for the remainder of his time here in the northern hemisphere. If I don't get this photo soon, I will have to wait until next spring for another chance.

I was persistent with the Ruffed Grouse last winter and the end result was a photo (actually several) to treasure. I will turn one of them into a throw rug or a set of towels for the cabin.

You folks down in Arkansas will only see this bird for a few short weeks during spring and fall migration IF you're lucky AND in the right habitat. I doubt anyone in New Mexico will ever see it. That's why I decided to share my story, and this article I found on the net about this special little creature that's spending the summer in my "backyard."

Before reading the article:
Twitching is a British term used to mean "the pursuit of a previously-located rare bird." In North America it is more often called "chasing", though the British usage is starting to catch on there, especially among younger birders. The term twitcher, sometimes misapplied as a synonym for birder, is reserved for those who travel long distances to see a rare bird that would then be ticked, or counted on a list.
http://www.bsc-eoc.org/download/BWCwi09.pdf

SE Michigan

#9403 Jun 27, 2013
fifty1fifty wrote:
<quoted text>Ever open up a live trap with a racoon/squirrel/possum /bobcat/coyote in it? Some are very mad at least at you for letting them loose and it can be life threatening. As on youtube.com check them but carry a big hickory stick to knock them the hell out. Good people there but they will knock the shit out of a coyote or bobcat(:
I my quest to remove all feral cats from my neighborhood, I have inadvertently trapped DOZENS of raccoons and a few squirrels. Only ONE raccoon hissed at me, but ran off when I opened the door from the behind the cage. ALL of the other raccoons simply walked away as soon as the door was opened, or shortly after. I NEVER once felt like I had my life threatened by these creatures.

If someone is afraid to open the cage door, they should not be trapping in the first place.

I once had three wild raccoons run up my body in their attempt to get out of the dumpster I was trying to save them from. Again, no threats on my life, just an animal wanting to survive. I find most people are so uneducated when it comes to facts about misunderstood, mostly nocturnal animals.

BTW, It is NOT uncommon to see raccoons out during the daylight. It does NOT mean they are rabid. In fact, it is totally normal and expected behavior, especially when they have young to feed, or food to store for winter.

That, Sir, was Raptor's animal fact of the day.

SE Michigan

#9404 Jun 27, 2013
still

Jonesboro, AR

#9406 Jul 2, 2013
still falling
justagirl

Arkadelphia, AR

#9407 Jul 2, 2013
ha
sybian

Batesville, AR

#9408 Jul 5, 2013
One fell on my head and I liked it

SE Michigan

#9409 Jul 5, 2013
Persistance, patience and passion has finally paid off in spades! Not only did I find the Canada Warbler and get some fabulous photographs,(of the male only..... so far) I did indeed find their nest.

Well, I haven't actually seen the nest, but I have narrowed the location of it down to about a six square foot radius while watching the birds go in and out of the area with insects. I've been monitoring it from a safe distance of over thirty feet.

It appears to be on the ground near or at the base of a broken tree. The birds have also gone to the top of the stump and peered inside a few times. It has me wondering if they are trying to throw me off track, or maybe the nest itself is in the stump which is only about four feet tall. It's very thick with ferns and other vegetation, so it's impossible to see from where I sit.

I hesitate to get any closer because my scent in the area can lure raccoons to investigate and I don't want to take the risk of the nestlings becoming a meal. And I certainly don't want to step on the nest!

It gets better though. Not only was I able to photograph the Canada Warbler, I also found and photographed a Magnolia Warbler and a black-billed Cuckoo, which is also taking insects into a nest on the ground.

Pictures to be posted on my website in the coming weeks.
pigeon

Ashburn, VA

#9410 Jul 6, 2013
Now there's a bird!
yep

San Jose, CA

#9411 Jul 7, 2013
Lol
Concerned

Kennett, MO

#9412 Jul 8, 2013
Just wondering if anyone has information on the husband of Tiffany McFarland that was murdered several years ago,was wondering his name and any information about what his sentence was
Concerned

Kennett, MO

#9413 Jul 8, 2013
Sorry wrong post
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9414 Jul 8, 2013
I've got four little ones in the Swallow nest near my front door. Man they make a mess!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr Nothing Between Y... 30,434
Dog Buy 7 hr Arley 1
Pee Wee 8 hr John Kirk 1
where's all the weed?? 9 hr Michael Itorus 3
begger 9 hr Info 7
Cheating (Aug '12) 12 hr set the record st... 50
Do the theatre still have good shows? Fri The truth 6
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pocahontas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pocahontas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pocahontas

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:00AM
Full AFC, NFC Playoff Outlook, Week 16 Predictions
NBC Sports 6:35 AM
Whitehurst: May not look like it, but we can win
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
ESPN 7:36 AM
Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions