More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,149

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9352 Jun 14, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
Yes indeed blackbirds are a menace that need to be exterminated. Maby it can be achieved. I know Im doing my part. Our ancestors got rid of the passenger pigeon. That bird also caused the same type of damage. the blackbirds eventually filled that void. Are we having fun yet? Well I gotta go eat breakfast and then hit the hay field. gonna bale some hay as soom as the dew exaporates.
I hope the meadowlark babies have all fledged already or you'll be killing them out in those fields.

Losing the Passenger Pigeon was not a good thing. It would be a travesty to lose the blackbirds too.

It sounds like you need to take a downer and sit back and smell the roses....and listen the birds. Each is unique....AND beautiful. Yes, including the blackbirds.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9353 Jun 14, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I just got back from the cabin.
Our yard up there has nesting warblers, including Black and White, Nashville, Canada, Black-throated Green and Ovenbird. Also singing up a storm were Ruby-crowned Kinglet, many Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, American Robin, Yellow-billed Cuckoos, a single Scarlet Tanager, Red-eyed Vireo, Great-crested Flycatcher, Barred Owl and Merlin. Northern Flickers were taking food to a hole in a dead tree across the street and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were all trying to defend "their" feeder.
Sunday I heard what I think was a bear grunting down by the river. Monday evening, a deer had a newborn fawn with her standing by the side of the road near the cabin; and a fox crossed in front of us today on our way back from looking for Kirtland's Warblers,(extremely endangered species) of which we found about five singing males.
Yesterday it rained up there, and boy does it smell good after a rain in Northern MI!!!!
It sucked to have to come home, but as I type this a bunny hops around my front yard as I look out my window to see what's hanging around. Baltimore Orioles are a welcome sight here! They aren't very numerous near the cabin because the habitat,(mostly boreal forest,) is so different there.
I hope a coyote doesn't kill that fawn......
good ole boy

Batesville, AR

#9354 Jun 14, 2013
I know I do a lot of research in this area! Its been known its UFO and the grey alien to be the reason.......the gov. Knows this! But sometimes you have to think outside the box.....1000 birds aren't gonna die for any reason and if we can't determine what this is....id put my money its something the gov. Is doing.......we are using tons of different frequencies and it can deter the birds and animals and cause them to go into panic mode...the whales are a prime example....sonar is killing our whales and dolphins but navy cares less......but yes! This is 100% alien and ufo ! If you don't believe me......Google it yourself! This is going on around the world.....
good ole boy

Batesville, AR

#9355 Jun 14, 2013
Google! Grey aliens and the dead birds! Cases of this are known around the world.....a lot of things we can't explain....but we are much closer to the gov finally saying yes we aren't alone....people are being taken everyday by these greys and our gov knows but can't do nothing! The dead birds are a part of this process......especially in struggle when the greys try to get someone but can't....its like they are frustrated...and do whatever means it takes to take the person they want......so due to this the birds fall from the sky!probably due to some type of radiation or frequency.

SE Michigan

#9356 Jun 15, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I hope a coyote doesn't kill that fawn......
That's a possibility. It's also possible a human hunter will kill it in the fall too. Lots of creatures kill for food. That's the way the world works. Coyotes and humans have equal rights to eat and try to survive.

But the humans have an advantage over the coyotes; Humans can go to the store if their hunt isn't successful.
Curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9357 Jun 16, 2013
Yep if you have money or food stamps. a human can go buy heir meat from the store. However some animal still was killed. Go buy that hothouse hormoned chemical laced meat. I prefer to eat bambi and any of his relatives that happen along when I need the meat. The deer I kill just might be the one that you would have hit with your car. I might have saved you from a deer car collision.To me deer are just another varmit they spread diseases and damage fences & small trees crops ect.If you wanna look a varmits go to the Zoo. Dont expect me to share my domain with them. Shucks Raptor impune,s that that I kill meadowlarks when I harvest my hay. Hay that feed,s the cow that produces the calf that winds up at the grocery store. Ive never seen ameadowlark nesting in this area. they migrate through here but dont nest here. My hay ground is mostly bermuda grass with some fescue that has invaded. I graze it during the winter & early spring. The cattle goats & sheep help keep the fescue & weeds in check. thev also fertlize the land with their nanny goat berries and sheep pelletts. Naturally composted no seeds sprout from their manure they grind up everything they eat. Then I pull off the livestock and mow it after about 60 days. I normally take two cuttings. and let the livestock graze it again. There is not any bird habitat in the open fields. There is habitat in the overgrown fence rows and unmowed berm. my sheep & goats have really decimated the blackberry & rose bushes. they also eat thorn tree, sawbriar leaves. The lamas reach and eat the thorn tre leaves up very high where the sheep cant reach. I cut the tops that the lamas couldnt reach of those thorns and they will all be killed. Much better than buying & sraying poison.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9358 Jun 16, 2013
<quoted text>
That's a possibility. It's also possible a human hunter will kill it in the fall too. Lots of creatures kill for food. That's the way the world works. Coyotes and humans have equal rights to eat and try to survive.
But the humans have an advantage over the coyotes; Humans can go to the store if their hunt isn't successful.
Who kills a fawn in it's first year of life? What kind of hunting laws do you people have up there? I kill every coyote I come across. I took 4 out over the Memorial Day weekend.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9359 Jun 16, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
Yep if you have money or food stamps. a human can go buy heir meat from the store. However some animal still was killed. Go buy that hothouse hormoned chemical laced meat. I prefer to eat bambi and any of his relatives that happen along when I need the meat. The deer I kill just might be the one that you would have hit with your car. I might have saved you from a deer car collision.To me deer are just another varmit they spread diseases and damage fences & small trees crops ect.If you wanna look a varmits go to the Zoo. Dont expect me to share my domain with them. Shucks Raptor impune,s that that I kill meadowlarks when I harvest my hay. Hay that feed,s the cow that produces the calf that winds up at the grocery store. Ive never seen ameadowlark nesting in this area. they migrate through here but dont nest here. My hay ground is mostly bermuda grass with some fescue that has invaded. I graze it during the winter & early spring. The cattle goats & sheep help keep the fescue & weeds in check. thev also fertlize the land with their nanny goat berries and sheep pelletts. Naturally composted no seeds sprout from their manure they grind up everything they eat. Then I pull off the livestock and mow it after about 60 days. I normally take two cuttings. and let the livestock graze it again. There is not any bird habitat in the open fields. There is habitat in the overgrown fence rows and unmowed berm. my sheep & goats have really decimated the blackberry & rose bushes. they also eat thorn tree, sawbriar leaves. The lamas reach and eat the thorn tre leaves up very high where the sheep cant reach. I cut the tops that the lamas couldnt reach of those thorns and they will all be killed. Much better than buying & sraying poison.
I remember how when I was a kid my grandfather would take us fishing there in Arkansas and when the fishing was slow we would pick buckets of wild blackberries. What fond memories I have of those times!
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#9361 Jun 17, 2013
Who kills a fawn the first year of its life. The curmudgeon that,s who! Im not a sports man. I kill for the meat. fawns & yearlings have the best tasting tender meat. My pet deer are growing horns this year. the horns are about three inches long and just starting to get crooked. I dont think being castrated Is gonna effect their horn growth. they are about 14 months old they shure look tasty. they recieve al the corn & sweet grain thay want, I have salt and loose mineral in a hole in the ground. also we cut them browse like sawbriars rose bush thorn tree ect. they get apples & pears too. I hand fed them ivomec wormer I withold their grain for a day. Then make a ball from wormer and sweet grain. They gobble it up. Fattest deer I ever saw.

Trumann, AR

#9362 Jun 17, 2013
Dave Miller wrote:
You guys need to have them birds tested and don't leave it all to the government .
they tessed grade A
lesley g harper

Little Rock, AR

#9363 Jun 17, 2013
i mowed a mountain of grass and the birds are feeding off of it should i think that is good or bad?
Dead

United States

#9364 Jun 17, 2013
Dead birds dead
Bride

United States

#9365 Jun 17, 2013
Birdies

Jonesboro, AR

#9366 Jun 17, 2013
Bride wrote:
Birdies
is anybody else sick of seeing this ancient thread?
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9367 Jun 17, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>is anybody else sick of seeing this ancient thread?
Just your mammy!
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9368 Jun 17, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
Who kills a fawn the first year of its life. The curmudgeon that,s who! Im not a sports man. I kill for the meat. fawns & yearlings have the best tasting tender meat. My pet deer are growing horns this year. the horns are about three inches long and just starting to get crooked. I dont think being castrated Is gonna effect their horn growth. they are about 14 months old they shure look tasty. they recieve al the corn & sweet grain thay want, I have salt and loose mineral in a hole in the ground. also we cut them browse like sawbriars rose bush thorn tree ect. they get apples & pears too. I hand fed them ivomec wormer I withold their grain for a day. Then make a ball from wormer and sweet grain. They gobble it up. Fattest deer I ever saw.
Post your address and I'll swing on by and harvest me a couple of those bucks!

SE Michigan

#9369 Jun 17, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
All those years on a farm and you've never seen a nesting meadowlark? Not all species like trees and hedge rows. Any habitat you can think of will have some form of wildlife that it supports. There are a number of birds, including meadowlarks, in your area that nest in open farm fields, meadows and grasslands. If you don't have any meadowlarks on your farm, it could be that, as I correctly predicted, you've killed all the young before they could fledge.

It is nice to know you don't spray pesticides. With healthy bird populations, nobody else would need to use them either.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/eastern_me...

Jonesboro, AR

#9370 Jun 17, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Just your mammy!
say that to my face punk.

SE Michigan

#9371 Jun 17, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>is anybody else sick of seeing this ancient thread?

Nope. How much do you want to bet it makes it to 10,000 posts?

Jonesboro, AR

#9372 Jun 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope. How much do you want to bet it makes it to 10,000 posts?
yea 21/2 3 years. The Michigan explains all the ignorance. Obama state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Library 2 hr Just Me 2
christmas party 2 hr Just Me 5
thomasville 8 hr Catching Up 2
Just wondering 11 hr Againstthemachine 2
Work needed for Christmas 11 hr Againstthemachine 11
Bear Crossing Signs Needed 11 hr Carl 10
Imperial Theater (Aug '12) 11 hr lol 146
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web