More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.
Comments
8,641 - 8,660 of 9,868 Comments Last updated 12 hrs ago

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>We are OK. It's the cycle of life..
We are okay. The butterflies might not be.

I'm worried about the robins. While there are still plenty of robins in some areas, I've noticed a huge reduction of them now compared to when I was a kid. I attribute it to their habit of flying low while on the breeding grounds. In my area, there are so many road-killed robins every year, it's scary. In some places, I don't hear them singing anymore.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

curmudgeon wrote:
Written by
Submitted Report
Filed Under
Sports
The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission is hosting two “Trapping 101” workshops at the Calico Rock Regional Office, located at 1125 Highway 56.
The first workshop will be 6-8:30 p.m. March 22 and will be based on dry land sets. Charlie Bass of the Arkansas Trappers Association will share advantages and disadvantages of various techniques for dry land sets.
The second workshop will be 6-8:30 p.m. March 29 and will be based on water sets. Bass also will lead this workshop by demonstrating trapping methods for aquatic furbearers.
Space is limited. Call (877) 297-4331 or email kbwilliamson@agfc.state.ar.us to register. Special door prices will be drawn for those who register and attend both workshops.
Thanks. I'm registered.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

I see the Topix Judge is up and working already today.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
We are okay. The butterflies might not be.
I'm worried about the robins. While there are still plenty of robins in some areas, I've noticed a huge reduction of them now compared to when I was a kid. I attribute it to their habit of flying low while on the breeding grounds. In my area, there are so many road-killed robins every year, it's scary. In some places, I don't hear them singing anymore.
The butterflies and the bees and the bears are just fine!
asia

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

Dhjkoihn

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>The butterflies and the bees and the bears are just fine!
Really? Maybe you just don't notice the declines like those of us who pay attention to things in nature? One ignorant person an do alot damage. Unfortunately, there are SO MANY ignorant people.
http://www.macombdaily.com/article/20130312/N...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

<quoted text>
Really? Maybe you just don't notice the declines like those of us who pay attention to things in nature? One ignorant person an do alot damage. Unfortunately, there are SO MANY ignorant people.
http://www.macombdaily.com/article/20130312/N...
REALLY? Maybe you don't notice the decline of the baby elk and deer because you don't pay attention to things in nature? One ignorant person can do a lot of damage to big game species. Unfortunately, there are SO MANY ignorant people who want to save one over populated species at the peril of other species. In the end those they want to save will die also because they are so IGNORANT to the enviornment and nature.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>REALLY? Maybe you don't notice the decline of the baby elk and deer because you don't pay attention to things in nature? One ignorant person can do a lot of damage to big game species. Unfortunately, there are SO MANY ignorant people who want to save one over populated species at the peril of other species. In the end those they want to save will die also because they are so IGNORANT to the enviornment and nature.
True, there should be healthy balance. We need prey AND predators. I don't notice any decline of baby deer or elk here at all!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

<quoted text>
True, there should be healthy balance. We need prey AND predators. I don't notice any decline of baby deer or elk here at all!
I see plenty of butteflies, bees and bears here!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>
I see plenty of butteflies, bees and bears here!
How many of those butterflies are Monarchs?
The bees you see are probably non-native killer bees.
I doubt you have EVER seen a bear in your yard.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

<quoted text>
How many of those butterflies are Monarchs?
The bees you see are probably non-native killer bees.
I doubt you have EVER seen a bear in your yard.
I see many Monarchs, more than I care to see. Next time I go outside I will ask the bees if they are killer or non killer. How in the hell do you know what I have seen in my yard? I have a place in the desert and one in the mountains. I have seen bear on both places. The place in the desert I have also seen Oryx, mule deer, mountain lion and coyote along with many other animals you only wish you had in Michigan!
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I see many Monarchs, more than I care to see. Next time I go outside I will ask the bees if they are killer or non killer. How in the hell do you know what I have seen in my yard? I have a place in the desert and one in the mountains. I have seen bear on both places. The place in the desert I have also seen Oryx, mule deer, mountain lion and coyote along with many other animals you only wish you had in Michigan!
Ive drove truck through northern New Mexico near the colorado border . lots of times Ive seen bears eating road kill alongside the road. Ive also seen road killed bears. There are bears in Arkansas. We have enough that there is a bear hunting season. We also have plenty of alligators.
bowser

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

Ew
floyd timbs

Marked Tree, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

so where is big bird?
roy

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Birds are falling
grindel

Salem, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

big bird went out and molested som little birds.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

The Woodcocks have arrived! There was one "peenting" real close to my bedroom last night.
number one voter

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Da birds dun falled
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

The Woodcocks have arrived! There was one "peenting" real close to my bedroom last night.
Nothing new here yet, just the regulars..
Niece

Edgewood, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

How's my birds

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why are all the hot guys in this town gay? =( (Jul '10) 44 min Guest 16
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 2 hr REAL AMERICAN PAT... 29,631
Imperial Theater (Aug '12) 2 hr Bill 133
best new name for Pochontas 4 hr funky chicken 36
Flattered 12 hr Who 2
I said it!! 12 hr JJJ 22
Party Poppers (Oct '10) 20 hr Questions 69
•••
•••

Pocahontas Jobs