More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10184 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9150 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> at best its a wash even steven. You cause birds to congregate this enables predators. It also can help spread diseases from sick birds to healthy ones. the fittest birds will fledge four young. Ive got bluebirds that raise two batches every year.
My House Wrens usually fledge 6-8 young, two broods per year. My chickadee nested here once and had 8 babies. Before my trees got too big, I had Tree Swallows. House Sparrows got in the nest box one year and killed the mother swallow and all her babies. Now I only keep boxes that wrens can fit into, so I don't have to battle House Sparrows anymore.

SE Michigan

#9151 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> there are wrens that nest all around the home. there is a old R 190 international truck with a shotgun hole in the windsheld, A wren nest in the open glove box every year. My wife would enjoy a house wren like Mrs Wren that actually stayed in our home.
I wouldn't recommend that. I won't even place nest boxes on the outside of my house because of the lice and parasites they get. Lice can easily walk into your home through any screen or hole and can infest everything. Every summer when I clean out my first broods nest, the lice are everywhere. I have to wash my hands off immediately following the cleaning.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#9152 Feb 28, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are other farmers able to get by without killing everything that sets foot on their property?
If they have livestock or poultry they do just the same as Me. all sheep & goat farmers and many cattlemen have to stay after predators. Namely coyotes & dogs. I know of one depredation permit issued for a mountian lion. It was killing cattle & horses. Ive educated many farmers about how to trap and eradicate varmits. Reciently I even gave one guy two of my body grip traps. Its Just most of the other farmers dont let folks know about their activities. I post to try and educate folks the importance of keeping their pet,s on their own land. myself im very good at trapping and enjoy helping others solve their predator problems.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#9153 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I wouldn't recommend that. I won't even place nest boxes on the outside of my house because of the lice and parasites they get. Lice can easily walk into your home through any screen or hole and can infest everything. Every summer when I clean out my first broods nest, the lice are everywhere. I have to wash my hands off immediately following the cleaning.
just put a little Seven dust in the nest it will take care of bird mites & lice. We power wash and whitewash with lime & water our poultry buildings & nest every spring. we use 5% seven dust on the chickens & pigeons and all the known bird nest. Having a house wren in your home isnt any worse that a parakeet , or other cage bird. The mother bird never left any dookie in our home. The fledglings did but it wasnt a big deal.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#9154 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
My House Wrens usually fledge 6-8 young, two broods per year. My chickadee nested here once and had 8 babies. Before my trees got too big, I had Tree Swallows. House Sparrows got in the nest box one year and killed the mother swallow and all her babies. Now I only keep boxes that wrens can fit into, so I don't have to battle House Sparrows anymore.
we have lots of those swallows that build mud nest under the eaves of every building. I power wash them all away every winter. they come bach and build new nest every year. I keep a close watch on them because cowbirds want to lay their egg in the swallows nest.

SE Michigan

#9155 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> just put a little Seven dust in the nest it will take care of bird mites & lice. We power wash and whitewash with lime & water our poultry buildings & nest every spring. we use 5% seven dust on the chickens & pigeons and all the known bird nest. Having a house wren in your home isnt any worse that a parakeet , or other cage bird. The mother bird never left any dookie in our home. The fledglings did but it wasnt a big deal.
I avoid pesticides and chemicals, especially around young birds! A wild House Wren can pick up much more than a tame pet bird that gets medical attention and possible parasite treatments.

SE Michigan

#9156 Feb 28, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> we have lots of those swallows that build mud nest under the eaves of every building. I power wash them all away every winter. they come bach and build new nest every year. I keep a close watch on them because cowbirds want to lay their egg in the swallows nest.
I had a small group of cowbirds here yesterday. I believe the birds are getting restless with the longer days.

I picked a fine time to get sick. I was planning on going up north to try to photograph my little Saw-whet Owl this weekend, but it appears that may not be happening. Self-diagnosis tells me I may have a touch of strep. I couldn't make it through the day at work. Temp was up to 101.8 by the time I got home.
thinking

United States

#9157 Feb 28, 2013
Ok

West Helena, AR

#9158 Feb 28, 2013
??!!

West Helena, AR

#9159 Feb 28, 2013
Wow TMI about birds!
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#9160 Mar 1, 2013
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9161 Mar 1, 2013
<quoted text>
And who didn't admit that? The fact is there are two sides to the feeding issue. That's why maintaining a clean feeding area and rotating the locations of feeding areas is so important. So is providing cover for the birds to get to quickly. Like I said before, most hawks leave here empty-taloned.
Roadrunners run faster than quail. They don't fly much. Snakes wait then strike. When you rotate feeders if the birds can find them so can the predators!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9162 Mar 1, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> we have lots of those swallows that build mud nest under the eaves of every building. I power wash them all away every winter. they come bach and build new nest every year. I keep a close watch on them because cowbirds want to lay their egg in the swallows nest.
I also have the swallows that build nests on the front and back porches. The wife hates the mess they create but I think they are neat!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9163 Mar 1, 2013
<quoted text>
I had a small group of cowbirds here yesterday. I believe the birds are getting restless with the longer days.
I picked a fine time to get sick. I was planning on going up north to try to photograph my little Saw-whet Owl this weekend, but it appears that may not be happening. Self-diagnosis tells me I may have a touch of strep. I couldn't make it through the day at work. Temp was up to 101.8 by the time I got home.
I hope you get to feeling better soon..

SE Michigan

#9164 Mar 1, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Roadrunners run faster than quail. They don't fly much. Snakes wait then strike. When you rotate feeders if the birds can find them so can the predators!
It's not about the predators not being able to find the feeders. It's about not letting the seed and bird droppings pile up under the feeder getting moldy and spreading disease.

SE Michigan

#9165 Mar 1, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I also have the swallows that build nests on the front and back porches. The wife hates the mess they create but I think they are neat!
Every spring I open the barn window so Barn Swallows can fly inside and nest in it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it again. Then he shuts it. Then I open it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it.
I still have never had Barn Swallows nest here.

SE Michigan

#9166 Mar 1, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you get to feeling better soon..
Thank you. I'm feeling a little better at the moment. I've been taking pain reliever/fever reducing pills and they help. When they wear off, the fever shoots sback up and I get severe chills. I took today off. I have Amoxicillin my doctor presribed to me last time I was sick, but didn't take. It is used for strep, so I just might take them.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9167 Mar 1, 2013
<quoted text>
It's not about the predators not being able to find the feeders. It's about not letting the seed and bird droppings pile up under the feeder getting moldy and spreading disease.
By a rake!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9168 Mar 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Every spring I open the barn window so Barn Swallows can fly inside and nest in it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it again. Then he shuts it. Then I open it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it.
I still have never had Barn Swallows nest here.
My better half is always trying to knock their nests down in the early stages of building. They sure are a persistent little bird. I like how they eat the mosquitos and other insects!

SE Michigan

#9169 Mar 1, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is peco still hiring? 1 hr Mohawk teacher 18
Jennie oden 17 hr One Who Knows 2
John Simkins (Mar '15) 21 hr Come on 37
well drillers Mon Guest 9
mclaughlin (Oct '14) Mon Mobb186 8
Remembering PHS classmates who have lost their ... (Nov '08) Mon snuff 521
Wonderful Peco (Feb '15) Jun 26 guest 42
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pocahontas Mortgages